Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Concise Multi-IEM Comparison (FINAL UPDATE March. 1st, 2013)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Concise Multi-IEM Comparison (FINAL UPDATE March. 1st, 2013) - Page 77

post #1141 of 1230
Thread Starter 

Never listen to XBA-2 before but XBA-3 for $75 is an excellent price. However, do note there might be some fake XBA series out there so be sure to buy from reputable seller.

post #1142 of 1230
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

Never listen to XBA-2 before but XBA-3 for $75 is an excellent price. However, do note there might be some fake XBA series out there so be sure to buy from reputable seller.

 

My main concerns are

 

1) How good the XBA-3 are compared to the MH1C which I have just ordered

2) Would the highs be fatiguing like the KSC-75 or are smooth like the MDR-1R/Brainwavz M1?

3) Comfort wise are these better than the XBA-2/M1/MH1C?

 

Thanks for the quick response.

 

They're available as refurbished from Best buy.

post #1143 of 1230
Thread Starter 

I don't own the XBA-3, only auditioned it a while ago, so I can't give you any detailed comparison.

post #1144 of 1230

Clieos, just wanted to say I saw your new descriptions of the different types of sounds, graphs and pictures on page 1 and its nothing short of brilliant!    I always come back to your analysis of IEM categories over anyone else on this site!  In the words of many, you are "spot-on!"   Looking forward to your upcoming book, I'd love an autographed copy!!, and if you haven't written it yet I think you should!!!LOL!!!

I am currently reviewing the Tralucent 1P2, Aurisonic AS2 and Sony 7750 and your IEM Sound Encyclopedia is a huge help!

post #1145 of 1230
Thread Starter 

Thanks. I also made this graph for something more visual:

 

audio+hex.jpg

post #1146 of 1230
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

Thanks. I also made this graph for something more visual:

 

audio+hex.jpg

 

nice graph dude, a ready-reference! I like who invest their time and their knowledge for others.. ty!

 

ps: forgive my bad english i'm italian and i don't speak well :S

post #1147 of 1230

Hi Tai,

 

Thank you so much for all your great effort and support! I'm such a newbie in this field and your reviews and guides are so helpful for me.

 

I am currently using CC51 and would like to have an upgrade. My budget is from 100-150$

 

I have done reading all the reviews and narrowed my choices to: RE-400, TDK EB-950 and Hisound Audio Golden Crystal. Hisound's original price is almost double the other two but it is on discount to around USD110 in my area. Do you think the sound quality of Hisound is much greater than the other two (since its original price is higher)? From what I've heard Hisound is more analitycal.

 

I mostly listen to vocal, pop, RnB, sometimes Dance and Rock. I really like the pair with good mid-range and separation of instruments.

 

Which do you think should I go for?

 

Thank you so much again!

post #1148 of 1230
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88mbd View Post

Hi Tai,

 

Thank you so much for all your great effort and support! I'm such a newbie in this field and your reviews and guides are so helpful for me.

 

I am currently using CC51 and would like to have an upgrade. My budget is from 100-150$

 

I have done reading all the reviews and narrowed my choices to: RE-400, TDK EB-950 and Hisound Audio Golden Crystal. Hisound's original price is almost double the other two but it is on discount to around USD110 in my area. Do you think the sound quality of Hisound is much greater than the other two (since its original price is higher)? From what I've heard Hisound is more analitycal.

 

I mostly listen to vocal, pop, RnB, sometimes Dance and Rock. I really like the pair with good mid-range and separation of instruments.

 

Which do you think should I go for?

 

Thank you so much again!

 

Yes, Golden Crystal will be the most analytical out of the three and, as far as sound signature goes, closest to CC51. However, I don't think Golden Crystal is 'greater' than the other two. It is a little more accurate than EB-950, but overall a less rounded IEM than RE400. Golden Crystal is only noticeably better than the two only in treble detail. If we were to disregard the different in sound signature, RE400 would have been the better choice of the three.

post #1149 of 1230

Hi Tai,

 

Thank you so much for your quick reply! RE400 seems like the best choice for me now and from all the reviews it seems like the best sub-100 IEM now available.

 

Is there any other good recommendations of different sound signature (since you categorized RE-400 into 'Warm and Sweet'?)
 

post #1150 of 1230
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88mbd View Post

Hi Tai,

 

Thank you so much for your quick reply! RE400 seems like the best choice for me now and from all the reviews it seems like the best sub-100 IEM now available.

 

Is there any other good recommendations of different sound signature (since you categorized RE-400 into 'Warm and Sweet'?)
 

 

Not for the same price. At least not nearly as good.

post #1151 of 1230

So why do you consider RE262 and RE272 superior to RE400? I would say the bass is better on RE400 with more body and punch to it, while RE262 and 272 are slightly lean with a less realistic sense of impact IMO. The mids are sweeter, more intimate with RE400. I think they sound a bit more natural than RE262 and 272 in the mids with a seemingly more accurate timbre, although I may be wrong. I really felt a great connection with the singers when listening through RE400 that I didn't feel with RE262 or 272. Treble is only area where RE400 may not be that great, as the highs a little recessed in places, but RE262 and 272 are not much better in the highs. I feel like the soundstage has more depth with RE400 than with RE262 and 272 as well. Resolution and clarity are similar in the bass and mids, but I think RE400 has more texture in the bass. The treble is slightly muddy on RE400 compared to 262 and 272, but the bass and mids are so good that they more than make up for it IMO. Overall, I would say RE400 is at least on the same level as 262 and 272 overall and are definitely the most fun sounding Hifiman IEMs I've heard to date. If RE600 will have the same sound signature as RE400 with a more even, clearer treble and perhaps a more open, wider soundstage, I am pretty sure that it will be my favorite IEM ever. I just loved the sound signature of RE400!

post #1152 of 1230
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist View Post

So why do you consider RE262 and RE272 superior to RE400? I would say the bass is better on RE400 with more body and punch to it, while RE262 and 272 are slightly lean with a less realistic sense of impact IMO. The mids are sweeter, more intimate with RE400. I think they sound a bit more natural than RE262 and 272 in the mids with a seemingly more accurate timbre, although I may be wrong. I really felt a great connection with the singers when listening through RE400 that I didn't feel with RE262 or 272. Treble is only area where RE400 may not be that great, as the highs a little recessed in places, but RE262 and 272 are not much better in the highs. I feel like the soundstage has more depth with RE400 than with RE262 and 272 as well. Resolution and clarity are similar in the bass and mids, but I think RE400 has more texture in the bass. The treble is slightly muddy on RE400 compared to 262 and 272, but the bass and mids are so good that they more than make up for it IMO. Overall, I would say RE400 is at least on the same level as 262 and 272 overall and are definitely the most fun sounding Hifiman IEMs I've heard to date. If RE600 will have the same sound signature as RE400 with a more even, clearer treble and perhaps a more open, wider soundstage, I am pretty sure that it will be my favorite IEM ever. I just loved the sound signature of RE400!

 

Because: 1) RE400 is obviously on the warmer, richer side of thing. Music doesn't naturally has a warmer feeling to it and should not be assumed so. Even though the 'effect' might sound nicer that way it doesn't necessary means it is better in fidelity. 2) Proportional balance is not nearly as good. Treble detail is obviously a step behind mid and bass. I am not looking at graph to tell me what is more and what is less, but what I can listen in actual music and how each portion is highlighted / hidden. It is the proportion and contrast that I am listening to.While texture is indeed better on RE400, not all music will benefit as much on greater texture. A more balanced sound will be better suited on different music, even though not a single genre will benefit more. 3) I didn't think the soundstage is better on RE400. It has good depth, but soundstage isn't just about depth, but also width, layer, and air / openness. It sounds like a great small theater, but not yet a great stadium. 4) I like to rank IEM on the 'big picture'. Sometime some IEM is ranked high because a particular thing about is great enough to offset the weakness, but recommendation must be made clear so people will know what they are missing. RE400 isn't the kind of IEM that has just one strength, its good texture is not so great that only people who want texture will pick it up. While its weaknesses is also not so bad that it is not worth recommending. As I said, RE400 is a good all-arounder will nothing particularly great and nothing particularly bad, while RE262 and RE272 can do a particular area excellent while still keeping up on the rest of the area. That's why both are ranked higher.

post #1153 of 1230

Thanks for the explanation. To each their own. I would argue that RE262 and 272 are not perfectly balanced either. I think they have a dip in the lower treble that takes away some presence from instruments in that region. I also think their bass could use more impact. I think they could be more textured too. RE400 has the more proper texturing and bass impact in my opinion. Also, RE400 soundstage sounds well layered to me, while RE262 and 272 lacked layering IMO - the soundstage was mostly left and right separation without much depth, similar to Etymotic ER4. Overall, I just think the new driver and/or housing used in RE400 has more potential than the previous Hifiman IEM designs, even if it has not yet been completely realized with RE400. In particular, I have to say that the RE400 bass just blew me away - I never heard IEMs output such a strong, punchy, yet high quality low end before. RE400 is definitely in a different league in this regard compared to Hifiman's previous IEM efforts IMO and has the most satisfying bass I've ever heard in any IEM to date. I am really looking forward to RE600 now. smily_headphones1.gif

post #1154 of 1230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozurr View Post

Hi ClieOS,

 

I'm looking for some new IEMs. Based on the below can you tell me IEMS (Multiple - whatever fits - so I have a choice - There's lack of availability here) you would recommend me? Budget is max $100 but if it's lower it'll be nice. I might even buy a couple just to keep myself busy.

 

1) I like the sound of the Brainwavz M1

2) I don't like the fatiguing treble on the KSC-75 - too harsh

3) I like the sound reative aurvana live headphones - and anything that MATCHES the sound of these would be very nice (Everyone says these are with recessed mids but I like where the mids are on these.. balanced with the drums compared to the Brainwavz R1)

4) I hate the Brainwavz R1 as the vocals sound too distant and recessed and can't stand that signature. Can't listen to them.

5) I tried the XBA-1 but I thought I couldn't FEEL the bass even the slightest

6) I like the sound of the SHM750 (Ordering the MH1C as well)

7) I have the Sony MDR-1R headphones and I like the sound signature on those. (Maybe the mids are slightly too forward but I want them to be forward instead of recessed)

 

I've bought a lot of these based on your recommendations and appreciate all the effort you put in. Thanks a LOT for your help.

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

If you are already ordered the MH1C, then wait till you listen to it first since it seems to fit most of your requirement.

Hi ClieOS.

 

So I got the MH1C and the Brainwavz M2 that I had ordered. I don't like the M2 since the vocals seem very veiled and bloated. Not pleasing at all. The M1 I had previously sounded MUCH cleaner. The mids are also worse than the KSC-75, Aurvana live and the R1. They're not recessed, just bloated.

 

However, the MH1C are worth their weight in gold. I spent $35 on them. They sound AMAZING. I can't believe how good these sound. ANYTHING I try which I own, doesn't even come close.. except the MDR-1R. They have the sound I was looking for. I'd have liked the mids a little more forward, but they're still in a good place. What's killing me is the comfort. I hate the J-cord and the pressure these create in my ear. I've tried quite a few tips but it isn't helping.

I was thinking of changing to something else. Now HOW can I possibly justify spending on ANYTHING more? I feel nothing under $100 could top these. I've never heard the high end iems. Do they sound this good? is the jump in the money worth the jump in the sound?

 

I was looking at a similar signature with comfort. I was thinking maybe I could go for the Klipsch X10 or the Rockit R50. How would these compare to the MH1C? would you have any other suggestions?

 

Thanks for these gems though. I can't thank you enough for them.

post #1155 of 1230
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozurr View Post

 

I was looking at a similar signature with comfort. I was thinking maybe I could go for the Klipsch X10 or the Rockit R50. How would these compare to the MH1C? would you have any other suggestions?

 

 

I haven't listened to X10 for quite sometime now. But if my memory serves me right, you can skip the X10 all together and go for R50 instead. You won't find as much bass on R-50, but it will offer much better clarity and detail. There are definitely better sounding IEM than MH1, but the question is how much you are prepared to spend.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Concise Multi-IEM Comparison (FINAL UPDATE March. 1st, 2013)