So I'm in the hunt for some audiophile grade headphones to go with my Astro Mixamp. I understand the 880's and the kGGs 701's will need an amp like the fiio e9 to power them so i am prepared to buy the amp if necessary. I am basically trying to figure out which pair of cans would provide me the best experience for games/movie in no particular order. I hear the audio technica Ath-AD900 provides excellent soundstage but weak bass especially for action oriented games and movies. I also hear the 880's provides decent bass. Which of these three headphones would be best for me? Also if I were to get say the 880's which version should I look at the 250 Ohms or 600 Ohms provided I power them with the e9?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 2/15/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-AD900tagged by System, 2/15/11
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 880 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by System, 2/15/11
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 2/15/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphonetagged by System, 2/15/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 2/15/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 2/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- If I can't power the DT880's for gaming and movies through the Mixamp what next? Last post on 12/19/10 at 3:56pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AD700 vs DT770 (any ohms) vs DT880 (any ohms,non-premium) vs DT990 (any ohms, non-premium)... Last post on 9/11/12 at 7:13am in Headphones (full-size)
- worth upgrading from ad700 to ad900? Last post on 12/22/11 at 1:39pm in Headphones (full-size)
- $200,$300 headphone, DT770 80ohm for gaming/music or? Last post on 2/28/12 at 4:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- New Member Seeking Your Wisdom! Last post on 8/13/11 at 5:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Videos only at the moment. I'll do a write-up later. Apologies if you were hoping for something to read. Unboxing and design details: More details about the cables, sound and possible...
Introduction – Read Heath Audio (or RHA for short) are soon to release their latest and greatest earphone, the T10i. Much like the rest of RHA’s products, the T10i’s were designed to offer premium...
I've owned an EarMax and Sennheiser HD 580's for 20 years, so I'm already familiar with tubed OTL headphone amps. The linestage of my old Quicksilver started developing some noise, and I didn't...
I bought these from Amazon about 2 weeks ago, and felt buyer's remorse when I wasn't blown away by the sound. They aren't bad, but they do lack bass and the feel is cheap. They were somewhat...
I would like to thank Brainwavz for the review sample of R3! Brainwavz R3 is a dual dynamic drivers IEM. It has 2 dynamic drivers in each housing, facing each other into a sound blending...
Which headphones should I get for my Astro MIxamp? Ath-AD900, Beyer dt880s, or KGS 70post #1 of 442/13/11 at 7:45pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 442/13/11 at 7:47pmpost #3 of 442/13/11 at 8:03pm
AD900 does have tight, enjoyable bass - whether its going to be enough to give you the KER-RUMP bass you want for games is a question only you can answer. K601 were my fave gaming phones - comfortable, great positional audio and very non-fatiguing - but they are overpriced for everything else. For those who want every explosion in a shooter to sound like Armageddon, I'm sure the M50s will go closer for a lot less than the phones you have listed.post #4 of 442/13/11 at 8:07pmThread Starterpost #5 of 442/14/11 at 10:23amThread Starterpost #6 of 442/14/11 at 10:30ampost #7 of 442/14/11 at 11:26amThread Starter
Can someone please just give me some specific suggestions instead of pointing me to another thread. I am now dead set on getting the Mixamp/ e9 combo. I'm just torn in choosing between the AKG 701's, the Beyer DT880 at 600 Ohm or the Beyer 990 at 600 ohms. Like I said before I will be using it probably 60% percent for movies, 40% for games. And how does Dolby Headphones perform with movies? Another question: will I need the e7 as a DAC if am just using the e9 for my consoles (ps3 & xbox)?post #8 of 442/14/11 at 11:29am
Are you paying anyone to answer your questions? You demand specific answers when there are answers for your question all over the place. Just press the type and press SEARCH. It is at the top of the page.
Anyway Get the dt990 if you like bass or the dt880 if you like neutral sound. In case you love soundstage over anything get the k701. Got it?post #9 of 442/14/11 at 11:39amThread Starter
I'm sorry if I'm being rude a too direct. But I have been searching the threads non-stop ( especially Mad Lust Envys's threads on this website and Avsforum) and I cannot find any conclusive answers to my questions. I'm about to spend 300+ on headphones which i can't listen too before I purchase them so I want to be completely sure the headphones will be right for me. I guess i'm just experiencing a little anxiety about the whole thing, and would highly appreciate some personal advise in regards to my specific needs and circumstance. I'm not too interested in FPS competition but do want some headphones that would be in excellent in both games (of all types) and movies with movies having slightly more priority over games. Again sorry if I have been rude, just a little anxious lol :)post #10 of 442/14/11 at 11:52am
Well I think I have answered your question. as to movies with dolby headphones, yes it does very well. I imagine the dolby headphones technology to be designed for movies... I would be surprised if wrong.
If you are buying the e9 and mixamp I see no use for consoles. why? E7 is not going to do 5.1 but mixamp does 5.1 and lower (2.0,2.1,...).
Unless you want to add your computer or any other music player to your system, I see no point for e7.
If you answer fast enought I can answer all your questions.
On the headphones if you apreciate bass go with dt990. If you don't want anything emphasized, go with dt880.post #11 of 442/14/11 at 1:07pmThread Starter
sorry I've was in class from 2:00 to 2:50 so not sure if you on still on.So I should go with the Dt990 if I want to watch movies? And how does the 701 sound with movies especially action oriented? Thanks for the relpypost #12 of 442/14/11 at 1:14pm
DT990 if you can handle prominent treble.
Is that direct enough for you?
Yes they do what you want them to do very well.
Since you're set on having the E9 to help power them with the Mixamp, may as well go for the 600ohm.post #13 of 442/14/11 at 1:24pmThread Starterpost #14 of 442/14/11 at 1:25pm
- Which headphones should I get for my Astro MIxamp? Ath-AD900, Beyer dt880s, or KGS 70
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Meet Alpha Prime 17 seconds ago
- › Gaming headset choice 23 seconds ago
- › T-PEOS Altone 200 Review by mark2410 34 seconds ago
- › Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704) 1 minute ago
- › Pictures of your speaker setup! 2 minutes ago
- › New Sennheiser Momentum In ear 2 minutes ago
- › NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions 2 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant! 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Analog Squared Paper Discussion and Appreciation Thread. 4 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Terja
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by xonarboy87
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by TheGame21x
- › Sony Walkman NWZ-A10 by castleofargh
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad900x by manbear
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)