says who that this is curable?
Related Forum Threads
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Which IEMs suffer from driver flex? Last post on 12/11/13 at 5:05pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Portable Amp/DAC for MTPC and MMDT, around $600 Last post on 12/5/12 at 4:34pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Monster Miles Davis Tribute vs Monster Pro Copper Last post on 12/3/12 at 3:01am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking to buy IEM up to $450 USD! Last post on 7/16/12 at 11:34am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
From the moment Charles told me about the new project that he was working on, “Project Palaios”, I was intrigued. A wooden amp? That’s certainly not what you hear everyday and from the pictures...
Your IEM journey so far: What cured your upgrade-itis ? - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
not so serious about music era (ages 0-21):
more sony earbuds
CX 300 mk ii (broke after a while), bass quantity was revolutionary
sony z700s, crap, hurt my ears (probably fake as well)
iphone ear buds, very dissatisfied
koss portapros, heart my portapros, they died tho.
last year, i found head-fi (ages 22-current (23)):
grado 325is, loved these, hurt my ears after a long listen tho
earsonic sm3s, love these, still use them ~4-6 hrs a day
koss portapros 25th anni. ed. (for keepsakes)
hd650s, my current #1 full-sized headphones
the near future:
pico slim (?)
the distant future:
proper desktop amp (?)
Shure e3->triple-fi 10 then won a pair of Shure 420s.........eventually got JH13's but there was a fit issue that took four months to remedy, but it was only a fit remedy.....long story but finally five months after settling I have sent them back to try to fix the final problem that was driving me nuts. Now i am waiting with the 420's and they are really horrible, my ears are so accustom to the JH13 sound. The sq of the 13's is just wonderfully addictive and if i can ever get them right i could almost sell all my other phones and still survive.
HD228 & ES7 (use both)
MX760 and MX580 (use both)
Skullcandy Smokin' buds (never used them more than twice) -> JVC Air Cushions/ Marshmallows -> RE0 / PL50 -> CK10 (now lost) -> Honestly i have no idea (I do have the NE700X but theyre somewhat uncomfortable)
Full Size - Shure SRH840
Earphones - Earsonics SM3 and Shure SE420 (w/ PtoS adapter)
I think I see customs in the future sometime, but probably not anytime too soon yet =O
There is no cure for upgrade-itis. Consult your doctor if any of the following occur: dizziness, ear-numbness, loss of friends due to refusal to remove headphones long enough to communicate, death...
x2.. the only cure for upgrad-itis is when you become deaf
What cured my upgrade-itis?
Plunking down $1000 on a whim for my soon-to-be custome Westone ES5s
...Also the fact that I just realized I have a tuition bill due this week, DOH!
there is no cure... only the next IEM... I think it ends with a collection of high end IEMs and at least 2 or 3 custom IEMs... I'm no where near that yet though... I'm still on universals...
lets see though... Stock headphones (usually sony... what ever came with walkmen/discmen) > Sony on head > Sony on ear clips > sony in ear hooks > iPod stock buds (for a short while) > Koss Sparkplugs (would have been SO much better without that blasted mute button!) > $40 sony earbuds > ATH-EC7 > ATH-CK7 > UE SuperFi 4 > Sennheiser IE6 (on reserve) > Panasonic HJE900 (current)
Do not want to think of my next one... I'll just stick with my HJE900s for the time being.
Stock buds (Creative) > Audio Technica in-ears > Koss in-ears w/ foam tips > Sony Fontopia > Sony clip-ons > ATH in-ears again > CrossRoads MylarOne X3 > CrossRoads Bijou 3
Then I went away for exchange, and for six good months I loved nothing but my Bijou 3.
I came back, continued loving them for another six months. Then I started an internship at a mag, and pitched the idea of an article on headphones... and my research was my undoing.
Shortly after that internship began, this happened:
Westone UM1 > Senn IE8
They were accompanied by a GoVibe Martini, and then a Linearossa W1. Both have been sold.
I though the IE8 would be the end...but after 10 months' ownership, I can honestly say I see some of its shortcomings. When I bought my UM1, I thought the IE8 was the best I'd ever heard, overtaking even the W3 that I demo'd prior to owning the UM1. I now know that the colouration of the IE8 can be its undoing as well, and I am thinking it is time to return to more "neutral" roots (for headphones, I've gone through MS-1, Shure 440, DT231, DT880 and HD25-1. Thankfully still holding on to the last 2)...one day, I will own a JH13 or 16.
The Shure SE530 kept me happy for a couple of years, but the fit wasn't perfect.
though the sound was lively, it was also kind of brash, eventually I bit the bullet
and got customs, JH16's.....
They sound close to right to me, non-fatiguing, but with plenty of balls, ...and they
were a perfect fit, first time!
- Your IEM journey so far: What cured your upgrade-itis ?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › New AKG flagship K812 first impression 12 seconds ago
- › FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought 1 minute ago
- › Sony MDR MA900 Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Using the HifiMan HM player as a USB DAC with Samsung Galaxy Phones... 2 minutes ago
- › Fischer Amps FA-4 E XB: New 4-BA IEM From Germany 2 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Official 2014 LA/SoCal Regional Head-Fi Meet, March 22, 2014,... 3 minutes ago
- › WTB Rooms Audio Stand 5 minutes ago
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 6 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Dec 20th 2013 6 minutes ago
- › Ultrasone DJ1 by HybridBlinds
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by davisman
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by SocialCapital