Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 700

post #10486 of 12987


This is kinda upsetting.
post #10487 of 12987
Well it took about four hours but I got it as clean as I possibly could. This 4270 sounds really amazing, the controls have no noise and there is no hum totally quiet even the phono input is not noisy unlike my 4240 or 4400 (the 4400 is really noisy)

Now if I could just get the faceplate screwed on I'd be totally happy with it. All the original faceplate screws are stripped so I need to know if one of you very fine fellows knows what kinda screws I'd need and if a place like Ace Hardware would have it? I also need to know about those little posts that the screws screw into. I need four of them because the one that's left is no good, the screw just gets stuck. HOW on earth those would be gone I have not a clue.

The original Owner or who ever owned it at one point modded it so that the three screws on each side of the chassis was connected to wire and then attached to the faceplate screws to secure it. (It was odd, I should have taken a pic of it before I took it apart it would have been something for you all to see!)

I don't know what in the world is inscribed on the upper right side of the faceplate or WHY someone would even do that but I got over it. Just wish I could get that faceplate screwed in and enjoy it!
Edited by harrinj - 11/3/13 at 12:46am
post #10488 of 12987
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrinj View Post

Well it took about four hours but I got it as clean as I possibly could. This 4270 sounds really amazing, the controls have no noise and there is no hum totally quiet even the phono input is not noisy unlike my 4240 or 4400 (the 4400 is really noisy)

Now if I could just get the faceplate screwed on I'd be totally happy with it. All the original faceplate screws are stripped so I need to know if one of you very fine fellows knows what kinda screws I'd need and if a place like Ace Hardware would have it? I also need to know about those little posts that the screws screw into. I need four of them because the one that's left is no good, the screw just gets stuck. HOW on earth those would be gone I have not a clue.

The original Owner or who ever owned it at one point modded it so that the three screws on each side of the chassis was connected to wire and then attached to the faceplate screws to secure it. (It was odd, I should have taken a pic of it before I took it apart it would have been something for you all to see!)

I don't know what in the world is inscribed on the upper right side of the faceplate or WHY someone would even do that but I got over it. Just wish I could get that faceplate screwed in and enjoy it!

Parkrose Hardware, if you take the one existing screw with you, is probably the only place I know of to have any obscure bit of hardware like that or can get it. They are about five minutes from Doug at 106th and Sandy Blvd in Portland.
post #10489 of 12987
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post

I think vintage gear lit up at night is even sexier than tubes.

I totally agree. Nighttime listening with all the lights going to just a mesmerizing experience. And I haven't gotten even remotely tired of it biggrin.gif
post #10490 of 12987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post


I totally agree. Nighttime listening with all the lights going to just a mesmerizing experience. And I haven't gotten even remotely tired of it biggrin.gif

Yeah but you have more better lights than most!

:beerchug:

post #10491 of 12987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post

Parkrose Hardware, if you take the one existing screw with you, is probably the only place I know of to have any obscure bit of hardware like that or can get it. They are about five minutes from Doug at 106th and Sandy Blvd in Portland.

But I still need something to screw them into! The little posts are gone that the faceplate screws into, how or why I don't know ...I wish I knew the history on it because those should not have come off if it fell!
post #10492 of 12987
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrinj View Post


But I still need something to screw them into! The little posts are gone that the faceplate screws into, how or why I don't know ...I wish I knew the history on it because those should not have come off if it fell!

I would maybe try glueing it in place? The faceplate's never really need to come off unless you are cleaning them. All the internals can be reached through the main body enclosure.  

 

Make sure you are happy with how clean the faceplate is first and especially the glass of the tuner. If you use an all purpose glue rather than a hard metal one, you could easily remove the face plate again anyway if need be.  

post #10493 of 12987
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrinj View Post

But I still need something to screw them into! The little posts are gone that the faceplate screws into, how or why I don't know ...I wish I knew the history on it because those should not have come off if it fell!

Can you use one of those things the automakers used for interior panels? Forget what they are called but I'm sure you'll come up with a fix.
post #10494 of 12987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post

Can you use one of those things the automakers used for interior panels? Forget what they are called but I'm sure you'll come up with a fix.

I found some screws that are OK but right now only the knobs are keeping the faceplate on.

Now someone mentioned to glue it, is that a good idea?
post #10495 of 12987


Knobs are keeping it on. I figured out what is inscribed on the upper right hand corner, it's an Oregon drivers license. I real WISH they hadn't put it on the faceplate...

Its also missing the little black circles around the headphone jacks but that does not bother me.
post #10496 of 12987
This is what I need. Do any of you know what they are?

[IMG][IMG]
post #10497 of 12987
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrinj View Post

This is what I need. Do any of you know what they are?

[IMG][IMG]

Thats your faceplate screw wright the other part is a spacer the one the screws is in its not threaded wright it goes between the back of the faceplate and the amps frame the stripped thread is in the frame am i wright if so you could always drill a bit biggerand tap a new thread in the frame and use next size screw if that is the case let me know.

post #10498 of 12987
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKELAP View Post
 

Thats your faceplate screw wright the other part is a spacer the one the screws is in its not threaded wright it goes between the back of the faceplate and the amps frame the stripped thread is in the frame am i wright if so you could always drill a bit biggerand tap a new thread in the frame and use next size screw if that is the case let me know.

Eugh the other two images didnt show up... I cannot screw the original screws into that because they don't go in correctly and they get stuck. I need four of those (however the bottom two I would not be able to get in with my current skill) 

 

I was thinking of just getting two long screws for both top screws and a nut and just doing it that way and the knobs would hold the lower part on. I really wonder why in the world these would be gone and how! 

I also need to replace the light to the STEREO indicator but if I take that all apart I will never be able to get the tuner twine back the way it was :( 

post #10499 of 12987

If those parts circled red are your parts like you say you could possibly take a screw and nut and attach it to the back of that frame is there room And if those are the parts the screws are in and if so they are threaded wright but the thread is stripped is there thread remaining inside those parts if yes you could try passing a tap inside the hole , thread might not be stripped all the way and you still could use your screws.

post #10500 of 12987
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners