Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › STUDY HEADPHONES for college
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

STUDY HEADPHONES for college

post #1 of 47
Thread Starter 
Hi, my name is Rich and like most of you I have spent much too long searching and bouncing around this site, amazon, and other audiophile/headphone review sites searching for the perfect set of headphones... So I've decided to tell you exactly what I'm looking for, and hopefully receive some aid.  I'm a college student majoring in Neurology, and as you can imagine, I spend a large portion of the day studying... meaning these headphones will be getting their share of use.  Most of my music collection is in FLAC, and I either play it locally off of my iPhone (FLAC Player) or stream it in V0 or 320kbs mp3 compression.  So I've compiled a list.  (#1-3 are non-negotiable)


1.  $80-$250   (I'm a still college student, not a doctor)

2.  Close Ear Headphones, Little to Moderate leakage    (I doubt that people in the library would appreciate my music as much as I do)

3.  Comfortable for extended periods of time

4.  Detachable Headphone Cord    (I die a little whenever I fray a new pair of headphones)

5.  Somewhat Portable/Durable    (They'll likely be in my backpack or car, I'm gentle but they need to have some backbone)

6.  Somewhat mainstream    (Not quite as important, but having a decent customer, forum, and buyer support is a benefit)


So whats wrong with the:

AT M50s?
-No detachable cord... huge bummer  : (

AKG 701s?
-Open Back, and a bit expensive

Sony MDR7509HD?
-No detachable cord, old technology

Sennheiser  280s?
-No detachable cord, mixed/poor reviews


ENLIGHTEN ME

-Thank You


EDIT (2/1/11):
So I've been reading your comments and suggestions and am glad to see so many new options added to the list.  I've compiled them:

Shure SRH 840
-Pros: Price, quality, mainstream, meets all criteria, excellent reviews
-Cons: The protruding and exposed wires, may not be that sturdy

Ultrasone PRO 750
-Pros: Meets all criteria, decent reviews, Audio Quality
-Cons: Price... ouch, somewhat underground

Sennheiser 380
-Pros: Meets all criteria
-Cons: Reviews consistently claim it to not match up to Shure SRH 840s in audio quality, Price

M Audio Studiophile Q40
-Pros: Price, meets all criteria
-Cons: Mixed/Poor reviews, also has protruding wire
AKG K271MKII
-Pros: Audio quality, fits most criteria
-Cons: Not sturdy, Sound Leakage, Mixed Reviews, Strange adapter

AIAIAI: TMA-1 DJ Headphones
-Pros: Form Factor, Audio Quality
-Cons: Consistently poor reviews in comfort, and not especially portable, really underground company
So I'm really beginning to lean on the Shure SRH 840s... is there any reason why I shouldn't be?



EDIT 2 (2/1/11)

Music genres: wide variety, from subtle classical to bass thumping electro. I listen to a lot of post rock and instrumental music while studying.
Edited by RichieH - 2/1/11 at 4:00pm
post #2 of 47

I love my M-50's and I have to say best bang for buck in the price in my opinion.. and they do sound great unamped but sound awesome even with a cheap amp such as the E7.. Also I head shure SRH840s are great and I do like my SRH440s. What genre of music do you listen too and also would you be willing to buy a portable amp if the price was under $250 w/ the headphones?

post #3 of 47

I would normally say go with the M50s but detachable cords shouldnt be an option you're after if your budget is less than 250 as the only closed headphones in that price range with detachable cords are the M audio Q40 and the AKG272 and the Shure840(if im not wrong). There might be a few others but probably not "mainstream".

post #4 of 47

also in your post you forget to mention that K701 don't have a detachable cable.. but the K702 do..

post #5 of 47

I would take a look into the AiAiAi TMA-1. They seem pretty durable, have a detachable cable, and can be driven out of an ipod. I don't personally have any experience with them, but it seems to fit your criteria. 

 

I've personally tried the Audio-Technica ESW9 and they sound great and are portable. The downsides is that they don't have a detachable cable, and they feel a bit fragile (although I've never had any problems with them in the time that I owned them.) Furthermore, I don't quite understand how, but they have the ability of being able to not leak any of your music out, but they leak sound in, which make them great for work or library just in case someone needs to talk to you.

post #6 of 47

Ultrasone Pro750, sounds like what your looking for.

post #7 of 47
(from my readings)
HFI-580/680/780 or SRH840 would take my vote.

I wouldn't recommend any of the pro series as they definitely do leak sound, though you wouldnt have the detatchable cable option with the HFI's. 580's have bass emphasis, 680's are more flat/neutral, and 780's seem to do well with the whole spectrum,  and are quite balanced.
post #8 of 47


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytus View Post

(from my readings)
HFI-580/680/780 or SRH840 would take my vote.

I wouldn't recommend any of the pro series as they definitely do leak sound, though you wouldnt have the detatchable cable option with the HFI's. 580's have bass emphasis, 680's are more flat/neutral, and 780's seem to do well with the whole spectrum,  and are quite balanced.


because you totally used all of the proline >.>

I have tried a few others, they clamped about as hard as the HFI did and didnt leak much more noise. also the cable is detachable and every part yes every individual part can be replaced.

post #9 of 47

I know a certain mainstream brand of headphones that fills the first 3 options but they suck in audio quality.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(beats by dr dre)

post #10 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCrow View Post


 



because you totally used all of the proline >.>

I have tried a few others, they clamped about as hard as the HFI did and didnt leak much more noise. also the cable is detachable and every part yes every individual part can be replaced.



 



Oh no, I've only used the PRO550. Im sorry I just assumed they had similar leaking qualities when they look to be of very similar build. I also asked those of the PRO900 forum, and they confirmed that those leak as well.

Im sorry if I was misinforming, I just assumed that the other PRO's were similar in that manner.
post #11 of 47

hmm I didnt think the pro 750 I used leaked that bad at all.

post #12 of 47
Thread Starter 

audio quality matters...

ill be updating the OP in a second with:

 

So I've been reading your comments and suggestions and am glad to see so many new options added to the list.  I've compiled them:

 

Shure SRH 840

 

-Pros: Price, quality, mainstream, meets all criteria, excellent reviews

-Cons: The protruding and exposed wires, may not be that sturdy

 

 

Ultrasone PRO 750

-Pros: Meets all criteria, decent reviews, Audio Quality

-Cons: Price... ouch, somewhat underground

 

 

Sennheiser 380

 

-Pros: Meets all criteria

-Cons: Reviews consistently claim it to not match up to Shure SRH 840s in audio quality, Price

 

 

M Audio Studiophile Q40

 

-Pros: Price, meets all criteria

-Cons: Mixed/Poor reviews, also has protruding wire

 

AKG K271MKII

-Pros: Audio quality, fits most criteria

-Cons: Not sturdy, Sound Leakage, Mixed Reviews, Strange adapter

 

 

AIAIAI: TMA-1 DJ Headphones

-Pros: Form Factor, Audio Quality

-Cons: Consistently poor reviews in comfort, and not especially portable, really underground company

 

 

 

 

 

 

So I'm really beginning to lean on the Shure SRH 840s... is there any reason why I shouldn't be?

post #13 of 47
From what my impressions of all I read between those phones, the shure's are a fantastic choice and meet your needs quite well. However, unless I missed something, you never mentioned the genre's of music you listen to. It would be better to know this so we can better steer you in the right direction.
post #14 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieH View Post

audio quality matters...

ill be updating the OP in a second with:

 

So I've been reading your comments and suggestions and am glad to see so many new options added to the list.  I've compiled them:

 

Shure SRH 840

 

-Pros: Price, quality, mainstream, meets all criteria, excellent reviews

-Cons: The protruding and exposed wires, may not be that sturdy

 

 

Ultrasone PRO 750

-Pros: Meets all criteria, decent reviews, Audio Quality

-Cons: Price... ouch, somewhat underground

 

 

Sennheiser 380

 

-Pros: Meets all criteria

-Cons: Reviews consistently claim it to not match up to Shure SRH 840s in audio quality, Price

 

 

M Audio Studiophile Q40

 

-Pros: Price, meets all criteria

-Cons: Mixed/Poor reviews, also has protruding wire

 

AKG K271MKII

-Pros: Audio quality, fits most criteria

-Cons: Not sturdy, Sound Leakage, Mixed Reviews, Strange adapter

 

 

AIAIAI: TMA-1 DJ Headphones

-Pros: Form Factor, Audio Quality

-Cons: Consistently poor reviews in comfort, and not especially portable, really underground company

 

 

 

 

 

 

So I'm really beginning to lean on the Shure SRH 840s... is there any reason why I shouldn't be?



The shure's should have a bag included with them for traveling so it should be protected when you fold them and have them in the bag

 

IMG_1064.jpg

 

IMG_1065.jpg

^^these are my srh440's tho^^

and as I mentioned in my first post what are the genres of music listen too??

also this...

http://designfabulous.blogspot.com/2010/11/airport-express-shure-srh840.html

post #15 of 47

Or you could be like me and thing the TMA-1 are a poor rip off of the HD 25-II and hate the god awful muffled sound they have.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieH View Post

 

AIAIAI: TMA-1 DJ Headphones

-Pros: Form Factor, Audio Quality

-Cons: Consistently poor reviews in comfort, and not especially portable, really underground company

 

 

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › STUDY HEADPHONES for college