Interested in your review of the headzone after your done playing with it.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/5/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Vibro Labs - Maya Review November 2016 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Firstly a thanks to Ejong7 & Luke Pighetti @ Vibro labs for...
The Tri-Vista 21 was a limited edition DAC sold in late 2004, early 2005. It was massively overbuilt - great power supply and output stage, and ran extremely long life 5703 milspec tubes, which are...
This headphone has a quite good sound quality for its price. Its sound is very clear, the mids and highs are well detailled. The bass is tight but some recordings sound lacking bass. It needed a...
Gratitude and greetings go out to RHA Team and @Glassmonkey - thank you so much for giving me the...
Recently got ordered these Mee AudioRunaway on-ear headphones as I had some wellness program points that were going to expire. I have had the MEE audio M-Duo Dual Dynamic Driver In-Ear Headphones...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 247
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3692 of 374201/31/12 at 10:52amThread StarterI just got it, and I'm setting it up now. Before anyone asks, I only bought the base. No MMX300/DT880s or headtracker. This is simply going to function as a very expensive, glorified Mixamp, with a different virtual surround than Dolby Headphone.
The issue being that it has a 100ohm output impedance, which is only really perfect with.... 800ohm+ headphones, lol, which makes no sense to bundle it with a 32ohm like the MMX300. But we'll see how it deals with the very low 25ohm D7000. If anything, attaching another amp to is (the way we do with the Mixamp), will bypass that issue.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/31/12 at 10:54ampost #3693 of 374201/31/12 at 11:34amQuote:Originally Posted by catscratch
Nice write-up. My impression on the "bass-shy" reputation electrostatics have was that the sound was there, but that the slam wasn't...but if what you say is true, it's more of a trait of the Lambda series design (possibly the most common electrostatics around) along with amplifiers that don't have enough voltage swing.
Even though they're overkill for just gaming, I still wouldn't want to do without my Stax Lambdas for gaming. All-day comfort, plus that atmospheric presentation that works nicely with games to me...but the positional advantages may have more to do with CMSS-3D Headphone or Dolby Headphone or similar technologies than anything else.
Also, I see that MLE has a Headzone...can't wait to see a writeup on whether or not it's worth the hefty US$1,000+ price tag.post #3694 of 374201/31/12 at 11:38amThread StarterFirst impressions (like literally 30 minutes in):
It's good... but in all honesty, it's too much like the Mixamp, so.... I don't see much of a benefit other than adjusting room size and ambience. In terms of sheer surround positioning (with BLOPS and Mass Effect 2), it feels relatively the same. More testing to be done, but other than the benefit of having virtual surround for movies (DTS works, meaning all Blu-Rays will work with this), can't justify the $1100 tag. I was expecting something much closer to the binaural demo (though it says Dolby Headphone, it is NOT Dolby Headphone, it is BINAURAL):
The rear positioning on that demo is INCREDIBLE. Both DH and the Headzone's DSP don't do it as well.
My impressions may change, but I honestly don't see it happening.
One thing to note: The D7000 doesn't sound like it's messed up or anything, which was a fear due to the high 100ohm output impedance.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/31/12 at 11:46ampost #3695 of 374201/31/12 at 11:51ampost #3696 of 374201/31/12 at 11:55amThread StarterUmm, no it can't. If you check the DTS box, Blu-Rays with DTS NEVER play any sound off the Mixamp (which only takes Dolby Digital). Also no DTS enabled game plays any sound off the Mixamp unless I uncheck DTS. Blu-rays have core audio files that will play sound, however, it won't be DTS or DD.
Unless you're doing something to transcode it.
What the PS3 WILL do is downconvert every signal to Linear 2 channel PCM.
the only time the Mixamp will work properly with Blu-ray is if the main audio file you selected for playback is tied to Dolby, like Dolby True HD (the core Dolby Digital signal is in there).
As a test, you can just take any movie that has multiple language tracks. Pretty much EVERY time the main file is DTS related, the secondary languages will be Dolby.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/31/12 at 11:59ampost #3697 of 374201/31/12 at 11:58ampost #3698 of 374201/31/12 at 12:00pmThread StarterQuote:
No anymore, though the brochure states that the recommended headphones are the T1 and 250ohm DT880s.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/31/12 at 12:31pmpost #3699 of 374201/31/12 at 12:17pmQuote:Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy
First impressions (like literally 30 minutes in):
It's good... but in all honesty, it's too much like the Mixamp, so.... I don't see much of a benefit other than adjusting room size and ambience. In terms of sheer surround positioning (with BLOPS and Mass Effect 2), it feels relatively the same. More testing to be done, but other than the benefit of having virtual surround for movies (DTS works, meaning all Blu-Rays will work with this), can't justify the $1100 tag.
Thanks for the impressions. Sounds like it's probably not worth it just for gaming?..
Where did you get it? Can you return it or do you have to turn around and sell it?post #3700 of 374201/31/12 at 12:34pmThread StarterI got it from Amazon. Looks like I can return it, though I will lose around $17... for the pickup and refund deduction. Worth checking it out, anyways.
Did pretty good on Black ops, but it really is the same as the Mixamp for me.
The PC360 sounds especially good off it. I guess the impedance mismatch added a beneficial euphonic distortion to it.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/31/12 at 12:35pmpost #3701 of 374201/31/12 at 12:54pmpost #3702 of 374201/31/12 at 1:03pmThread Starterpost #3703 of 374201/31/12 at 1:25pmQuote:
Nah... since we are talking about your money...
you should keep it.. haha :)
Next you can try the realiser :)
Edited by obazavil - 1/31/12 at 1:29pmpost #3704 of 374201/31/12 at 2:10pmpost #3705 of 374201/31/12 at 2:18pm
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread 30 seconds ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 41 seconds ago
- › Grado SR325 Prestige Series For Sale, in case. 48 seconds ago
- › Obscure Chinese DAPs 1 minute ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 2 minutes ago
- › Sony NW-ZX100 (Uncapped) 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Vibro Labs Maya quad armature in-ear monitors by FortisFlyer75
- › Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC by davehg
- › AKG K 420 Foldable Mini Headphone - Blue by Johannus
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by Takeanidea
- › MEElectronics Air-Fi AF32 Stereo Bluetooth Wireless Headphones with... by e07015
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by dnun8086
- › FiiO X1-II High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation)... by MentalDraco
- › Klipsch R6m Black In Ear Headphone by 1mctous
- › ampsandsound Kenzie Headphone Amplifier by Smazz
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD Black Label by glassmonkey
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear