- 16,394 Posts. Joined 3/2010
- Location: Orlando, Florida, USA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/11/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
In my self-imposed haughtiness and superiority, I have always told Alfred and Martin that I will be the high-end reviewer for this blog, and that they should be responsible for more budget...
First of all, thank you so much to Ifi-Audio for sending me a black edition to review for free! Really awesome of them to involve the audio community to such a degree. I will keep this review...
I try not to be an extremist and I try to give most products I review a decent amount of hearing before making any judgments on their quality but when a product reaches with a level of quality I...
A great purchase for under 180 pounds, these headphones blow the direct competition away when it comes to almost everything. They arrive in a nice premium package with a thick, high grade cable for...
A reasonably priced pair of premium Open back headphones. They are well made and super comfortable and have a luxurious appearance well suited to home hi fi use. Unlike other hi fidelity phones...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 1061post #15901 of 378938/18/13 at 2:42amThread StarterThe X1 is good just off the Mixamp. For music use, I'd say the E11 is plenty of amp for it (judging by how good it sounds off my E17 which has similar power to the E11). I haven't owned an E5 in years, and I don't consider it much of an amp, though it's very clean sounding.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #15902 of 378938/18/13 at 3:03am
I'm here for a little help, as well. After reading Mad Lust Envy's awesome guide, I decided to purchase the DT 990 250ohm pros. They seemed like the best all-around choice for me. My question is, what amp would be best for these? Sadly, I'm pretty nooby in this area. I'd say I'm a 50/50 mix between music (all kinds) and gaming. I don't have a huge budget - less than $100. I'm using the on-board sound card for the Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 -- 4x PCI-E 2.0 x16. I'd prefer to not have one that has to charge everyday, but not totally against it. Any tips or help in this area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)post #15903 of 378938/18/13 at 3:41amQuote:Originally Posted by Dobbie
I'm here for a little help, as well. After reading Mad Lust Envy's awesome guide, I decided to purchase the DT 990 250ohm pros. They seemed like the best all-around choice for me. My question is, what amp would be best for these? Sadly, I'm pretty nooby in this area. I'd say I'm a 50/50 mix between music (all kinds) and gaming. I don't have a huge budget - less than $100. I'm using the on-board sound card for the Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 -- 4x PCI-E 2.0 x16. I'd prefer to not have one that has to charge everyday, but not totally against it. Any tips or help in this area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)
The Fiio E9k would be my suggestion for that budget...post #15904 of 378938/18/13 at 3:44ampost #15905 of 378938/18/13 at 3:48ampost #15906 of 378938/18/13 at 3:51amI'm sure there are other desktop options in that budget but I only have experience with the E9k. I think there's a Schiit and a few others in that budget but don't know how powerful they are.
As for anything else you might need? A mixamp or DSS if you want to game with surround sound... as both have Dolby Headphone which are the preferred choice for most people. The mixamp would be the ideal choice if you want to chat during online gaming.
Disregard the above as I didn't even pay attention to you mentioning you have an on board sound card... meaning you are on PC. That, I have no knowledge about... so maybe other amp options could be better choices. Wait on others to chime in... they'll help you much more than I can.
Edited by Change is Good - 8/18/13 at 4:00ampost #15907 of 378938/18/13 at 5:47ampost #15908 of 378938/18/13 at 8:36am
The other universal option is Creative's Recond3D USB, uses THX TruStudio though of which... well, many don't like. But there are some who absolutely stand by it. My take, it's a preference thing when it comes to HRTF tech and THX TruStudio isn't as horrible as many others make it out to be.post #15909 of 378938/18/13 at 8:39amThread StarterI like THX tru studio, but not as much as Dolby Headphone. The panning is inaccurate in comparison, and the rear cues arent as deep.post #15910 of 378938/18/13 at 9:30ampost #15911 of 378938/18/13 at 1:28pmpost #15912 of 378938/18/13 at 1:30pmpost #15913 of 378938/18/13 at 1:38pmpost #15914 of 378938/18/13 at 1:45pmpost #15915 of 378938/18/13 at 1:48pm
Hey guys. I'm in the process of revamping my system in preparation of the new games coming out, namely Battlefield 4. I have an Ultrasone Pro 750 which I like a lot and is great for music and movies, however it doesn't offer too much in terms of gaming. I can hear the footsteps in BF3, and I sometimes I can tell its coming from the left/right, but nothing more specific than that. I'm thinking of buying a new set of headphones just for gaming. The headphones I'm looking at right now are the AD700x and the AD900x. I'm leaning a bit more towards the AD900x because they offer more bass than the 700 as well as similar soundstage. For gaming, what would you guys suggest? the AD900x or AD700x? What would its Fun, Competitive, and Comfort ratings be compared to the 700?
EDIT: Btw, I have the Sound Blaster Z card:
Edited by theOmni - 8/18/13 at 1:50pm
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 1 minute ago
- › crinacle's FR measurement database (150 IEMs measured) 1 minute ago
- › Pioneer XDP-300R DAP - Dual ES9018K2M, Balanced Out, Android 5.1,... 3 minutes ago
- › Using Hi/Lo Switch on Bose Quiet Comfort 2 headphones 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 5 minutes ago
- › After "lots" of research, i now Need help with dac/amp under... 6 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi |... 6 minutes ago
- › Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 8 minutes ago
- › Laptop Amp/Dac 9 minutes ago
- › qdc Balanced armature type (BA type) 3SH （QDC-4024） by prismstorm
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by bapspidoff
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Denon AH-D600 by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by theminstrel
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by markbrauer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by theminstrel
- › FiiO E17 by theminstrel
- › Sony NWZ-A15 Walkman Video MP3 Player (16GB) - Black by theminstrel
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 by theminstrel
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear