I never noticed it in movies and stuff. The highs killed it for me with anime though.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
SPECS: Driver Type 8mm Dynamic Plug Type 3.5mm Gold-plated Cord Length 1.3m Y Frequency Response 12 Hz – 22...
1MORE Capsule Dual-Driver In-Ear Headphones Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to 1MORE UK for the review sample. Full review...
Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM Earphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to Massdrop for the loaner. Full review...
I was an early adopter of the original hifiman he-1000 (part of the original beta group). At the end of the beta period I elected to keep the product and it was replaced with the newest and latest...
Bluedio Victory Bluetooth and Optical Headphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to Bluedio for the sample. Full review...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 74post #1096 of 373205/4/11 at 6:24pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1097 of 373205/4/11 at 6:32pmThread StarterTMR, no it doesn't because the DT990's bass is very quick (thanks to open design), so it doesn't bleed into the rest of the sound like typical closed cans with boomy bass. It works so well, its my favorite bass of all headphones I've used.post #1098 of 373205/4/11 at 6:40pm
Yeah I thought as much. I'd probably eventually want to use mine to replace the AD700 as gaming headset, but I don't quite want to velcro the labtec boom mic onto it just yet. Would ps3 -> mixamp -> tubeamp -> DT990 work? I guess I'd have to further amp the headphone while the mic only uses mixamp.post #1099 of 373205/4/11 at 6:43pmThread Starterpost #1100 of 373205/4/11 at 8:03pm
All that talk about the AD700's bass make me wonder how audio technica gets away with claiming 5 - 30hz frequency response. They sure aren't "responding" much even at 60hz, let alone 5hz!!post #1101 of 373205/4/11 at 8:16pmpost #1102 of 373205/4/11 at 8:22pm
I did this with my Auzen Forte. The bass heavily EQ'd still doesn't touch the bass on my DT770/80s un eq'd.post #1103 of 373205/4/11 at 8:29pm
I haven't tried it, but I can't imagine +25dB working out too well. I haven't tried it, and I sure wouldn't want to risk my drivers on it if I owned a pair. Drivers like that just don't do really low bass They don't have the excursion. Even my HD650s start making rather alarming noises if you try and put too much bass through them. +25dB added to the bass and played through an amp strong enough not to clip at a normal listening volume is liable to break a lot of bass-lite headphones.
They aren't all LCD-2s which will take 15 whole watts and play at 133dB with less <1% THD.
5hz at what would be stupidly high SPL if it wasn't subsonic doesn't even faze my XB700s. You can't hear a thing, but you can feel them. That means its doing it properly and you're not just hearing higher order harmonics.post #1104 of 373205/4/11 at 8:33pmThread StarterIt's quite amazing to hear the XB700 work at such low levels. All for $80. Too bad they're so bad for gaming.... lol. So much sub bass bloat....post #1105 of 373205/4/11 at 8:36pm
It only took about +12db from iTunes eq for me to be able to hear pretty well lower frequencies on the AD700. I can't comment for the lowest amount of extension down to 20hz and below, but it was enough to make pretty much every form of music enjoyable. You literally go from not being able to hear some of the reverb in extended low tones and bass drums to being able to hear them-- even feeling them a little bit. Nothing like some other headphones.post #1106 of 373205/4/11 at 8:42pmThread Starterpost #1107 of 373205/4/11 at 8:44pmQuote:Originally Posted by TMRaven
It only took about +12db from iTunes eq for me to be able to hear pretty well lower frequencies on the AD700. I can't comment for the lowest amount of extension down to 20hz and below, but it was enough to make pretty much every form of music enjoyable. You literally go from not being able to hear some of the reverb in extended low tones and bass drums to being able to hear them-- even feeling them a little bit. Nothing like some other headphones.
At what like 60hz or something? That's usually what the lowest band on a standard 10 band graphic EQ is and that's not low at all. That's about where bass starts for mepost #1108 of 373205/4/11 at 8:47pm
32hz. Even without an EQ you can hear bass down to 40hz with the AD700 using an individual tone generator, but it's very low.
It certainly has the aptitude to produce lower tones, it's just not competent at it.post #1109 of 373205/4/11 at 8:54pmpost #1110 of 373205/4/11 at 9:03pmQuote:
That actually is fairly low. The AD700s are only down 10dB there so EQ still might do some good. That's fairly close to the SA5000s I owned briefly. I was running my D2+ to my Bithead and turned the Mach3Bass up to the maximum and they were still to thin with bass heavy electronica. They were great if you were listening to something with nothing deeper than semi-modern tuned-to be-audible-over-crappy-speakers high pitched kick drum.
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary) 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 3 minutes ago
- › Cavalli Liquid Carbon 2 (sold pending funds) 5 minutes ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 5 minutes ago
- › The Zishan dsd's corner 6 minutes ago
- › WTB: Spiral Dot Medium 6 minutes ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 9 minutes ago
- › FS: Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro 9 minutes ago
- › My DIY electrostatic headphones 11 minutes ago
- › Roland Mobile UA UA-M10 USB Audio Interface by raoultrifan
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by NA Blur
- › 1MORE Capsule Dual Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone... by mark2410
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by mark2410
- › HIFIMAN HE1000 V2 Over Ear Planar Magnetic Headphone by MattTCG
- › Bluedio V (Victory) Pro Patented PPS12 Drivers Wireless Bluetooth... by mark2410
- › Effect Audio - Thor Silver II by Falconlistener
- › Edifier R2000DB Powered Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Near-Field... by ryanjsoo
- › Yamaha MusicCast WX-010 Wireless Speaker (White) by mark2410
- › Questyle Q192 DAC with Headphone Amplifier silver by noobandroid
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear