Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening. - Page 102

post #1516 of 3113

Sweet thanks, one more thing, how do I know if my classic is compatible with rockbox? There are a bunch of different versions, mines an 80gb but I'm not sure on the specifics.
 

post #1517 of 3113
Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post

 

I just looked at that again, and is pcm-s5l8700.c even used by the 6G?  IIRC thats for the Nano2G.  Looking at the 6G header and cs42l55.c, I think it already supports 48k output.  

Yes, it was an example of what I need to write. The current PCM code of the Classic doesn't have a feature of changing the frequency even though the chip does support up to 48Khz. By default, music is played at 44.1. The relevant function that's going to be modified is pcm_dma_apply_settings at pcm-s5l8702.c, so it can handle the external variable pcm_fsel, according to the file being played and thus support native 48Khz playback.


Edited by aroldan - 9/29/12 at 7:52pm
post #1518 of 3113
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroldan View Post

Yes, it was an example of what I need to write. The current PCM code of the Classic doesn't have a feature of changing the frequency even though the chip does support up to 48Khz. By default, music is played at 44.1. The relevant function that's going to be modified is pcm_dma_apply_settings at pcm-s5l8702.c, so it can handle the external variable pcm_fsel, according to the file being played and thus support native 48Khz playback.

 

Isn't that what audiohw_set_frequency does?  I don't have a 6G so I can't test, but what happens if you just add  "audiohw_set_frequency(pcm_fsel);" to pcm_dma_apply_settings and run the test_sampr.c plugin?  IIUC that should set the clock dividers right.  

post #1519 of 3113
Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post

 

Isn't that what audiohw_set_frequency does?  I don't have a 6G so I can't test, but what happens if you just add  "audiohw_set_frequency(pcm_fsel);" to pcm_dma_apply_settings and run the test_sampr.c plugin?  IIUC that should set the clock dividers right.  

When I do that, the playback stops working. The function states that the output should be disabled before using it. Do you know how to do that? I tried several combinations and it didn't work:

audio_stop  -> audiohw_set_frequency -> audio_start

pcm_play_lock  -> audiohw_set_frequency -> pcm_play_unlock

pcm_play_dma_stop -> audiohw_set_frequency ->  pcm_play_dma_init (-> pcm_play_dma_postinit)


Edited by aroldan - 9/29/12 at 11:24pm
post #1520 of 3113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace View Post

Sweet thanks, one more thing, how do I know if my classic is compatible with rockbox? There are a bunch of different versions, mines an 80gb but I'm not sure on the specifics.
 

 

I believe that they are all compatible but perhaps someone else can confirm. (I am using the latest, the 7G as we call it, i.e. 160GB single platter.)

post #1521 of 3113
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc View Post

 

I believe that they are all compatible but perhaps someone else can confirm. (I am using the latest, the 7G as we call it, i.e. 160GB single platter.)

 

Confirmed working for all Classics, if you check out the manual at freemyipod.org it's exactly the same instructions and files for the 80, 160 fat, 120 and 160 thin.

post #1522 of 3113
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroldan View Post

When I do that, the playback stops working. The function states that the output should be disabled before using it. Do you know how to do that? I tried several combinations and it didn't work:

audio_stop  -> audiohw_set_frequency -> audio_start

pcm_play_lock  -> audiohw_set_frequency -> pcm_play_unlock

pcm_play_dma_stop -> audiohw_set_frequency ->  pcm_play_dma_init (-> pcm_play_dma_postinit)

 

The comment there is probably not correct.  Its present in all the drivers and so likely just copied and pasted.  As for why playback fails, I'm not sure.  The audiohw_preinit function above successfully sets the sample rate to 44100, so either something is wrong with how its set to 48000, or one of the other registers in audiohw_preinit must be set differently for 48k.  

 

Maybe a dumb idea, but did you try just changing audiohw_preinit to default to 48k and see if it works? 

post #1523 of 3113

Hey guys,

 

Another noob question here: I am running one of aroldan's earlier builds and I want to upgrade to the latest build. Is there a way I can do this without losing my theme settings (font, background, colors, etc.?)

 

Thanks!

post #1524 of 3113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twister View Post

Hey guys,

 

Another noob question here: I am running one of aroldan's earlier builds and I want to upgrade to the latest build. Is there a way I can do this without losing my theme settings (font, background, colors, etc.?)

 

Thanks!

 


Sure, just unzip it over the old build.  You can always update rockbox that way, settings won't be lost unless you delete the config files.  

post #1525 of 3113

Huh, who knew? I assumed there would be some copying and pasting of .cfg files going on, but guess it's possible to overthink these things.

 

Thanks!
 

post #1526 of 3113
Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post

 

The comment there is probably not correct.  Its present in all the drivers and so likely just copied and pasted.  As for why playback fails, I'm not sure.  The audiohw_preinit function above successfully sets the sample rate to 44100, so either something is wrong with how its set to 48000, or one of the other registers in audiohw_preinit must be set differently for 48k.  

 

Maybe a dumb idea, but did you try just changing audiohw_preinit to default to 48k and see if it works? 

 

Yes I did and it was the same. I'll make some more tests tomorrow.

post #1527 of 3113

Tried to upgrade to rockbox-ipod6-ef78472M-120926 from r31516-120101 and although it upgraded just fine, I lost my USB connectivity.  I get the message on the iPod that says it's connected via USB but it never shows up on my Windows 7 or Mountain Lion machines like it use to.

 

I have to go through the iTunes restore process and then the entire install process to get it back to a point where I can attempt the upgrade again.  I have tried to install straight to rockbox-ipod6-ef78472M-120926, as well as upgrade as I described above and both ways I lose my USB connection for good.

 

I am doing this with an iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009) model purchased new from Apple just a week ago.

 

 

Am I trying to upgrade to the wrong version?

 

 

Thanks

post #1528 of 3113
Quote:
Originally Posted by zassop View Post

Tried to upgrade to rockbox-ipod6-ef78472M-120926 from r31516-120101 and although it upgraded just fine, I lost my USB connectivity.  I get the message on the iPod that says it's connected via USB but it never shows up on my Windows 7 or Mountain Lion machines like it use to.

 

I have to go through the iTunes restore process and then the entire install process to get it back to a point where I can attempt the upgrade again.  I have tried to install straight to rockbox-ipod6-ef78472M-120926, as well as upgrade as I described above and both ways I lose my USB connection for good.

 

I am doing this with an iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009) model purchased new from Apple just a week ago.

 

 

Am I trying to upgrade to the wrong version?

 

 

Thanks

I don't even own a Rockboxed device but from what I've read here I'd say try holding the MENU button while plugging in

post #1529 of 3113
Quote:
Originally Posted by zassop View Post

Tried to upgrade to rockbox-ipod6-ef78472M-120926 from r31516-120101 and although it upgraded just fine, I lost my USB connectivity.  I get the message on the iPod that says it's connected via USB but it never shows up on my Windows 7 or Mountain Lion machines like it use to.

 

I have to go through the iTunes restore process and then the entire install process to get it back to a point where I can attempt the upgrade again.  I have tried to install straight to rockbox-ipod6-ef78472M-120926, as well as upgrade as I described above and both ways I lose my USB connection for good.

 

I am doing this with an iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009) model purchased new from Apple just a week ago.

 

 

Am I trying to upgrade to the wrong version?

 

 

Thanks

 

Not sure if this would help, but when Windows fails to recognize that the iPod has been plugged in (I usually wait 3-5 min, if I'm feeling really patient), I just reboot the iPod by pressing Menu + Select until it resets. That almost always gets Windows to recognize it. That's all done without detaching the USB cable from either the iPod or PC. Even with the latest build I have to do this every now and then.

post #1530 of 3113

I appreciate the feedback and I had tried both of the suggestions prior to posting on this forum.  I probably should have added that I have been using Rockbox for years on older, fully supported devices and have have experienced some quirky behavior at times, so I am use to trying a few troubleshooting steps before posting.  I am hoping there is a change I can make to a file somewhere in the .rockbox directory that will fix the issue, or possibly a patch.  Other than that, nothing else has really changed with my hardware or on the Operating System side.

 

Thanks again.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.