Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 664

post #9946 of 18538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folex View Post
 

 

The sound is different, but the comfort is night and day. These put all the pressure on your head vs your ears. Whats crazy is the pads fit directly on without any mods. 

 

Edit: The headband pad is from a ruined 555. It works for the time being. I'm looking to get one custom made hopefully this weekend. 

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have an older, spare set of HD-555 pads that I removed from my HD-555 when I ordered a new set from Sennheiser.  It might be worth pulling them out and checking the comfort option.

post #9947 of 18538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvins View Post
 

would you say the magnums or the grados are more engaging? which one is more forward

 

To me, my recent Magnum X drivers from Turbulent Labs seemed to take a somewhat different sound direction from the earlier v.4 drivers. Granted, I didn't have several hours of use time to confirm if the driver signature would have changed with use or not.  I had all the Magnum parts ordered, then came across a pair of Grado PS-500s on the interim, so I made that move and then had to sell of the Magnum build when I finished up the work.

 

If I were to compare the Magnum X by Turbulent Labs to my Grado RS1i headphones, I feel that there are times when the Magnum driver is appearing to try a bit too hard.  I could hear a lot of emphasis in various frequencies in attempts to push as much sound out as possible.   The RS1i for example, can retain a position of being laid back, but when called to place detail on a certain instrument or passage within a song, the RS1i can do it and allow the listener to appreciate the refinement that it offers.  As my tastes change with age, I'm leaning more towards the refinement in the sound as opposed to the "wow, geez, bang, whiz" offerings of a driver that can try too hard to deliver on so many frequency levels.  I found that this would take away from some of the favorite passages in music that I listen for.  The subtle approach of the RS1i how it handles these passages is what makes me happy.

 

However, the reality is cost.  On one hand, you have the Magnum X from Turbulent Labs which can be used in a good headphone build with wooden cups, fresh cable, etc. for a price that falls in the $300 range.  Yet, the RS1i is $695 and more than double the cost, so certainly some differences should be quite apparent.  I don't always subscribe that spending more money will always get you a better product.  But, in my case, the detailed moments of sound provided by the RS1i can be nothing short of impressive.

post #9948 of 18538

For the past few days, I've been on a little venture.  Towards the end of this past weekend, I spotted a pair of older Grado SR-60 headphones available for $25.00.  The seller said that new pads would be needed and he was the original owner with the original pads.

 

For me, it wasn't the fact that I was trying to chase down a pair of Grados for $25.00, but I was actually seeking a pair of headphones that I could use to prepare for the cup evaluation on the 7Keys wooden cups that are being circulated so that impressions of each wood type can be noted by the individual testing the various woods.

 

At noon, I headed about 15 miles closer into the city to meet the guy with the SR-60 headphones.  They were relatively free of any scratches or scrapes.  But the pads ... oh my.  In inner sections that go towards the ear had been turned from the black color to a very light tan color from use, as well as the possibility of being faded somewhat by the sun.

 

What did I get for $25.00.  Well, my intentions changed a bit upon further review of these SR-60s.  I feel that there's a need to keep them stock, and not to liberate the drivers for the wooden cup testing process.  But, don't worry ... I have plenty of connections or opportunities to locate an appropriate pair of Grados or even use my MS1i headphones for the test when the cup arrives.

 

So, you might be wondering what makes this $25.00 pair of SR-60 headphones so special?  With the faded and crumbling pads, one might think that they should have gone into the dumpster instead of being sold for $25.00.  However, I persisted with the seller.  I made it clear how interested I was for the Grados. due to the need for drivers to test with the various woods.

 

However, upon closer inspection after removing the pads, what did I see?  Well, this appears to be quite an early version of the SR-60.  The drivers have that special pink tone to them.  I will do a bit more research on this and post pictures within the next day or so for forum review.  However, if it truly turns out to be one of the famous "gems" that Grado used to make, I'll be pleased as punch to own a pair.  So far, I've used the TTVJ Flats as well as the Grado L-Cush pads on them as I take them through their paces.  So far, I'm really liking what Grado used to offer on these headphones at the time.  To me, the "i" designation might have been more of a marketing issue over an actual sound improvement issue.  I'd love to have a pair of SR-325i Grados at my disposal to switch between the SR-60 and the SR-325i.  The sound from the SR-325i might get some serious competition from the SR-60 that I have.  The sound has a great balance.  I'm not even sure that I'd even consider wooden cups for this pair as the sound is just lovely as it stands with the plastic cups.

post #9949 of 18538
Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post
 

For the past few days, I've been on a little venture.  Towards the end of this past weekend, I spotted a pair of older Grado SR-60 headphones available for $25.00.  The seller said that new pads would be needed and he was the original owner with the original pads.

 

For me, it wasn't the fact that I was trying to chase down a pair of Grados for $25.00, but I was actually seeking a pair of headphones that I could use to prepare for the cup evaluation on the 7Keys wooden cups that are being circulated so that impressions of each wood type can be noted by the individual testing the various woods.

 

At noon, I headed about 15 miles closer into the city to meet the guy with the SR-60 headphones.  They were relatively free of any scratches or scrapes.  But the pads ... oh my.  In inner sections that go towards the ear had been turned from the black color to a very light tan color from use, as well as the possibility of being faded somewhat by the sun.

 

What did I get for $25.00.  Well, my intentions changed a bit upon further review of these SR-60s.  I feel that there's a need to keep them stock, and not to liberate the drivers for the wooden cup testing process.  But, don't worry ... I have plenty of connections or opportunities to locate an appropriate pair of Grados or even use my MS1i headphones for the test when the cup arrives.

 

So, you might be wondering what makes this $25.00 pair of SR-60 headphones so special?  With the faded and crumbling pads, one might think that they should have gone into the dumpster instead of being sold for $25.00.  However, I persisted with the seller.  I made it clear how interested I was for the Grados. due to the need for drivers to test with the various woods.

 

However, upon closer inspection after removing the pads, what did I see?  Well, this appears to be quite an early version of the SR-60.  The drivers have that special pink tone to them.  I will do a bit more research on this and post pictures within the next day or so for forum review.  However, if it truly turns out to be one of the famous "gems" that Grado used to make, I'll be pleased as punch to own a pair.  So far, I've used the TTVJ Flats as well as the Grado L-Cush pads on them as I take them through their paces.  So far, I'm really liking what Grado used to offer on these headphones at the time.  To me, the "i" designation might have been more of a marketing issue over an actual sound improvement issue.  I'd love to have a pair of SR-325i Grados at my disposal to switch between the SR-60 and the SR-325i.  The sound from the SR-325i might get some serious competition from the SR-60 that I have.  The sound has a great balance.  I'm not even sure that I'd even consider wooden cups for this pair as the sound is just lovely as it stands with the plastic cups.

 

that's probably one of the best $25 deals you can get. i'm a bit jealous ;)

post #9950 of 18538

Yea, $25 for a pair of pink drivers = steal  :-)

post #9951 of 18538
How would one go about visually telling 'pink' drivers from normal drivers?
Excuse my ignorance, but is there an actual punk colour to them? :P
post #9952 of 18538
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJWorne View Post

How would one go about visually telling 'pink' drivers from normal drivers?
Excuse my ignorance, but is there an actual punk colour to them? :P

post #9953 of 18538
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post
 

 

The GS1000 (not the "i" model) that I had, was nothing short of amazing.  I didn't play classical music through it, but plenty of jazz.  This original GS1000 was supposed to have a larger sound stage than the GS-1000i model.  I had never read this until I sold the GS-1000.  However, after seeing those comments by a few members, I can attest that the soundstage is really, really wide.   Its tone is somewhat light in the bass region, but it's not anemic when it comes to bass either.  I think I'd prefer the standard GS-1000 over the newer "i" because the sound stage on the newer model is not as wide.  Also, from what I've read, I'd most likely prefer the GS-1000 over the PS-1000, too.  I've taken in a few comments that the PS-1000 with the aluminum cups can be a bit heavy (keeping in mind that the cups in the mushroom form, are larger than those used in the PS-500.)  Also, other comment's I've heard were that it might have a bit more upper end "tizz" than I'd care for.  I really need to hear the PS-1000 so I can apply and capture some opinions of my own, though, instead of sharing my readings on that model.

 

You can find a GS-1000 in the $600 range.  I think the last one I saw, didn't have the original box, which might have meant that it was missing the 15' Grado extension cable and the 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter, too.  I guess I feel for a headphone in that league (it was their flagship until the PS-1000 came along), I'd expect the factory box and accessories with it, too.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post
 

For some reason I can't use the quote function with my laptop, but this post is in response to wje's.

 

I have the non ''i'' version of the GS1000, and as I have said before, I think that they have THE widest soundstage of any headphones that Grado has ever made. But, they're is a price to pay for that big soundstage, and it's resessed mids, John Grados once said. you can't have a big soundstage and midrange proximity. Regarding their bass extension, I find it adequate, in fact, In my opinion, the only Grados currently produced that have more bass extension, are the PS500, GS1000i and the PS1000. As for treble, it is very extended and can be a little overbearing with some brighter recordings.

 

In the end, I think that it's always a question of synergy, that's why I always take other peoples opinion with a grain of salt, and I invite them to do the same with mine, they're are simply too many variables, (different hearing, sound systems, recordings, tastes                                                                           ), to pull any definitive conclusions about headphones or any other components.

Thanks for your impressions guys. I think I'll wait for a good deal :ph34r:to come around, definitely leaning more towards the Rs1 than the GS1000 or Beyer T1 atm...

post #9954 of 18538
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormsdriver View Post
 

 

Haha thanks! :)

post #9955 of 18538

Checked the order queue at MAD, and my Ear+HD was shipped today, hopefully I'll get it in about a week!

post #9956 of 18538

I will try to get some pictures of my SR-60 posted this evening too.  The drivers look exactly like the picture that was posted by Wormsdriver, though.  I applied about 6 more hours of listening time through the night on them, too.  There was just something gorgeous about the sounds of female vocals.  I have the SR-60 along at work today and will be using it connected to my iPod classic for more enjoyment.  I don't have my Fiio Monte Blanc along as it is at home.

 

Going into the weekend, I want to spend time with the SR-60 and my RS1i in order to document some varying differences between the two.

 

Additionally, the headphones from the era of the pink drivers also featured:

 

- At the top of the curve where the gimbal connects to the silver rod, there are not any oval areas where there is a slight protrusion.  On the newer models, these smaller raised oval areas are present.

 

- On the older SR flavor of Grados, the headband is vinyl like the new ones.  However, there appears to be actual stiching on it as opposed to "stamped" fake stitching like on the newer heabands.  Also, this older flavor has a thin piece of foam inside to make it a bit more cushy.  Not a lot of foam, but a small amount which is better than the current bands.

post #9957 of 18538
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

Checked the order queue at MAD, and my Ear+HD was shipped today, hopefully I'll get it in about a week!

I can not wait to hear what you think of this amp.

 

Please post some pics of it when it arrives.....it is going to be beautiful, to say the least.

post #9958 of 18538
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post
 

I will try to get some pictures of my SR-60 posted this evening too.  The drivers look exactly like the picture that was posted by Wormsdriver, though.  I applied about 6 more hours of listening time through the night on them, too.  There was just something gorgeous about the sounds of female vocals.  I have the SR-60 along at work today and will be using it connected to my iPod classic for more enjoyment.  I don't have my Fiio Monte Blanc along as it is at home.

 

Going into the weekend, I want to spend time with the SR-60 and my RS1i in order to document some varying differences between the two.

 

Additionally, the headphones from the era of the pink drivers also featured:

 

- At the top of the curve where the gimbal connects to the silver rod, there are not any oval areas where there is a slight protrusion.  On the newer models, these smaller raised oval areas are present.

 

- On the older SR flavor of Grados, the headband is vinyl like the new ones.  However, there appears to be actual stiching on it as opposed to "stamped" fake stitching like on the newer heabands.  Also, this older flavor has a thin piece of foam inside to make it a bit more cushy.  Not a lot of foam, but a small amount which is better than the current bands.

Curious to hear your impressions between the 60's and RS's.

post #9959 of 18538
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

Checked the order queue at MAD, and my Ear+HD was shipped today, hopefully I'll get it in about a week!

Congratulations. Great amp for Grados.

What tubes are you planning to use

post #9960 of 18538
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAHZADA123 View Post
 

Congratulations. Great amp for Grados.

What tubes are you planning to use

Thank you, it is shipping with 2x12B4A and 1x12AX7 tubes. I purchased it for my new RS1i's.

I assume you own one, what tubes do you use?


Edited by joseph69 - 10/18/13 at 8:23am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!