or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 821

post #12301 of 26963

I'll see what I can do.

post #12302 of 26963
Quote:
Originally Posted by parbaked View Post
 

You'll find it hard to compare magnums as the drivers are only one piece of the equation the others being the materials and size/shape venting of the cups...so YMWV

 

 

yeah. I was assuming they'd mention what sort of wooden cups they had on their magnums as well. As well as any other sort of fixture or adjustment that would change or tune the sound of said can. I have magnums man. I know what they sound like. I have heard other peoples opinion of them. I did extensive research on the subject two years ago when I had my magnum put together. I'm just curious as to what people's opinions on them nowadays is. I just like to read about people's interpretation and comparisons to Grados. Thanks though for pointing that out. 

post #12303 of 26963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvins View Post
 

any folks here have both a pair of magnums and a pair of Grados? If so, which versions? Which do you prefer, and why? Just curious. Want to hear people's opinions on the matter :) 

 

I have a pair of Magnum X in some Cabillas GS1000 knock-offs, with G-Cush pads, and a pair of SR80 pinks in African Blackwood cups with L-Cush.

 

I like the Magnums for long listening sessions at work, and when I am leaning more towards intricate, well-produced music (leftfield electronic stuff like Flying Lotus, Caribou, the Beta Band, Four Tet, a lot of Jazz as well...both the earlier bebop stuff and some of the later spiritual stuff like Alice Coltrane, McCoy Tyner, etc, etc...).

 

I like the pinks for folk, rock, the blues (Mance Lipscombe, Robert Plant and the Band of Joy, Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan etc, etc...)

 

Not sure if my opinion counts though, as all of the Grados I have had were in the SR series, and all wound up woodied...

post #12304 of 26963

Hey guys...thought I'd share a fun story with you. 

 

Even though Grados aren't my top headphone anymore, my first love was the Grado SR80 and I will have at least one or two Grados in my collection for as long as they are making headphones. Anyway, I've mentioned on here before that one of my favorite things to do with my friends is to rescue them from poor fidelity. Iv'e sent out three pairs of SR60s and a few pairs of JVC nanotube headphones/buds. Well, one of my lady friends started with a pair of the JVCs a while back, and I sort of noticed that she was showing signs of maybe being ready for her first audiophile headphone. When I start getting those signals, it's the SR60s that I'll send their way, and that's exactly what I did. 

 

She said she wasn't sure if she would really appreciate the differences, which is okay because I always have one rule that I make them adhere to when I send out headphones: I make them agree that if they find they don't like or don't use the phones, that they will 1) pass them along to someone they think WILL use them, and 2) make that person agree to the same rule. It's worked out great so far. 

 

Anyway, the 60s arrived yesterday and I sent her a link to the Nils Lofgren concert that is on youtube...it's a fantastic acoustic recording that I often listen to. I had been teaching her about how better quality headphones will begin to expose the difference between poor recordings and material that was recorded really well. So I gave her a test and asked her to report back as to which she thought the Nils Lofgren concert was. She texts back and says, "wow, this isn't just a good recording, it's a GREAT recording!"  She went on about how amazed she was to be able to hear not only all the instruments so clearly, but even when someone in the audience coughed or when the drummer's sticks hit the rim of the drum. 

 

She's my movie buddy, as well, and she said she really wanted to try them for movies, but she wasn't sure how to get them to reach the headphone jack in her receiver. So, I had Amazon send her the Grado extension cable and voila! Tonight she watched "The Way Back" on Grado headphones for the first time. I'm pretty sure she's hooked and we've got another mbr of our Grado loving community on board :)

post #12305 of 26963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post
 

Hey guys...thought I'd share a fun story with you. 

 

Even though Grados aren't my top headphone anymore, my first love was the Grado SR80 and I will have at least one or two Grados in my collection for as long as they are making headphones. Anyway, I've mentioned on here before that one of my favorite things to do with my friends is to rescue them from poor fidelity. Iv'e sent out three pairs of SR60s and a few pairs of JVC nanotube headphones/buds. Well, one of my lady friends started with a pair of the JVCs a while back, and I sort of noticed that she was showing signs of maybe being ready for her first audiophile headphone. When I start getting those signals, it's the SR60s that I'll send their way, and that's exactly what I did. 

 

She said she wasn't sure if she would really appreciate the differences, which is okay because I always have one rule that I make them adhere to when I send out headphones: I make them agree that if they find they don't like or don't use the phones, that they will 1) pass them along to someone they think WILL use them, and 2) make that person agree to the same rule. It's worked out great so far. 

 

Anyway, the 60s arrived yesterday and I sent her a link to the Nils Lofgren concert that is on youtube...it's a fantastic acoustic recording that I often listen to. I had been teaching her about how better quality headphones will begin to expose the difference between poor recordings and material that was recorded really well. So I gave her a test and asked her to report back as to which she thought the Nils Lofgren concert was. She texts back and says, "wow, this isn't just a good recording, it's a GREAT recording!"  She went on about how amazed she was to be able to hear not only all the instruments so clearly, but even when someone in the audience coughed or when the drummer's sticks hit the rim of the drum. 

 

She's my movie buddy, as well, and she said she really wanted to try them for movies, but she wasn't sure how to get them to reach the headphone jack in her receiver. So, I had Amazon send her the Grado extension cable and voila! Tonight she watched "The Way Back" on Grado headphones for the first time. I'm pretty sure she's hooked and we've got another mbr of our Grado loving community on board :)

Great stuff!

 

I wish I had better luck in persuading some of my friends.    

post #12306 of 26963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post
 

Hey guys...thought I'd share a fun story with you. 

 

Even though Grados aren't my top headphone anymore, my first love was the Grado SR80 and I will have at least one or two Grados in my collection for as long as they are making headphones. Anyway, I've mentioned on here before that one of my favorite things to do with my friends is to rescue them from poor fidelity. Iv'e sent out three pairs of SR60s and a few pairs of JVC nanotube headphones/buds. Well, one of my lady friends started with a pair of the JVCs a while back, and I sort of noticed that she was showing signs of maybe being ready for her first audiophile headphone. When I start getting those signals, it's the SR60s that I'll send their way, and that's exactly what I did. 

 

She said she wasn't sure if she would really appreciate the differences, which is okay because I always have one rule that I make them adhere to when I send out headphones: I make them agree that if they find they don't like or don't use the phones, that they will 1) pass them along to someone they think WILL use them, and 2) make that person agree to the same rule. It's worked out great so far. 

 

Anyway, the 60s arrived yesterday and I sent her a link to the Nils Lofgren concert that is on youtube...it's a fantastic acoustic recording that I often listen to. I had been teaching her about how better quality headphones will begin to expose the difference between poor recordings and material that was recorded really well. So I gave her a test and asked her to report back as to which she thought the Nils Lofgren concert was. She texts back and says, "wow, this isn't just a good recording, it's a GREAT recording!"  She went on about how amazed she was to be able to hear not only all the instruments so clearly, but even when someone in the audience coughed or when the drummer's sticks hit the rim of the drum. 

 

She's my movie buddy, as well, and she said she really wanted to try them for movies, but she wasn't sure how to get them to reach the headphone jack in her receiver. So, I had Amazon send her the Grado extension cable and voila! Tonight she watched "The Way Back" on Grado headphones for the first time. I'm pretty sure she's hooked and we've got another mbr of our Grado loving community on board :)


That is a great story, Focker.

 

What a very cool thing you are doing.

 

They will be grateful to you forever after introducing them to great sound, I think this is fantastic.

 

Later on they may yell at you because they are broke, however.  :tongue_smile:     j/k

 

It is a great thing that you are doing.

post #12307 of 26963
Quote:
Originally Posted by parbaked View Post
 

1. It's a real pain to reverse

2. You have to crack the cans open to do it, risking cracked plastic.

3. While it increases bass it does so at the cost of the overall balance.

I just think it is better to EQ or roll pads because you can't A/B test the venting mods...you are kinda stuck with it...YMMV.

IMO, the bass kind of lose control as well after the mod~

post #12308 of 26963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post
 

Hey guys...thought I'd share a fun story with you. 

 

Even though Grados aren't my top headphone anymore, my first love was the Grado SR80 and I will have at least one or two Grados in my collection for as long as they are making headphones. Anyway, I've mentioned on here before that one of my favorite things to do with my friends is to rescue them from poor fidelity. Iv'e sent out three pairs of SR60s and a few pairs of JVC nanotube headphones/buds. Well, one of my lady friends started with a pair of the JVCs a while back, and I sort of noticed that she was showing signs of maybe being ready for her first audiophile headphone. When I start getting those signals, it's the SR60s that I'll send their way, and that's exactly what I did. 

 

She said she wasn't sure if she would really appreciate the differences, which is okay because I always have one rule that I make them adhere to when I send out headphones: I make them agree that if they find they don't like or don't use the phones, that they will 1) pass them along to someone they think WILL use them, and 2) make that person agree to the same rule. It's worked out great so far. 

 

Anyway, the 60s arrived yesterday and I sent her a link to the Nils Lofgren concert that is on youtube...it's a fantastic acoustic recording that I often listen to. I had been teaching her about how better quality headphones will begin to expose the difference between poor recordings and material that was recorded really well. So I gave her a test and asked her to report back as to which she thought the Nils Lofgren concert was. She texts back and says, "wow, this isn't just a good recording, it's a GREAT recording!"  She went on about how amazed she was to be able to hear not only all the instruments so clearly, but even when someone in the audience coughed or when the drummer's sticks hit the rim of the drum. 

 

She's my movie buddy, as well, and she said she really wanted to try them for movies, but she wasn't sure how to get them to reach the headphone jack in her receiver. So, I had Amazon send her the Grado extension cable and voila! Tonight she watched "The Way Back" on Grado headphones for the first time. I'm pretty sure she's hooked and we've got another mbr of our Grado loving community on board :)


paying it forward as it were !

this is why our hobby grows, we share

i have the same two rules too !!

post #12309 of 26963

Thanks guys, I really enjoy doing it for them!

 

I think what sold her initially was when I shared a thought with her that hit home, especially since she's such a huge movie fan. I explained how a TON of time, money, and hard work is put into the audio mix of both movies and music, and in my opinion, using headphones/speakers of decent quality is a small way that we can appreciate all the efforts that these people make in providing us entertainment. And as we all know, even something that is relatively inexpensive like the amazing little SR60 can provide quite a window into the incredible amount of detail that is there for our ears to enjoy. 

 

I think she may have even shed a tear...LOL  *evil grin*

post #12310 of 26963
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoe View Post

And by cups, he means pads.

Yeah the G Cush are great on the 325s. They open up the soundstage a bit and take a touch of the edge off the treble.

 

Ups..sry..it was late..

post #12311 of 26963

Wrong forum


Edited by HPiper - 2/20/14 at 8:24pm
post #12312 of 26963
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleasbaby View Post
 

 

I have a pair of Magnum X in some Cabillas GS1000 knock-offs, with G-Cush pads, and a pair of SR80 pinks in African Blackwood cups with L-Cush.

 

I like the Magnums for long listening sessions at work, and when I am leaning more towards intricate, well-produced music (leftfield electronic stuff like Flying Lotus, Caribou, the Beta Band, Four Tet, a lot of Jazz as well...both the earlier bebop stuff and some of the later spiritual stuff like Alice Coltrane, McCoy Tyner, etc, etc...).

 

I like the pinks for folk, rock, the blues (Mance Lipscombe, Robert Plant and the Band of Joy, Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan etc, etc...)

 

Not sure if my opinion counts though, as all of the Grados I have had were in the SR series, and all wound up woodied...

nice nice..

 

 

yeah. i would woody my grados if i owned a pair :/

post #12313 of 26963
It's been only three days since my SR 80i arrived and I'm already in love with them. They have the aggressiveness I was looking for. Now I'm looking forward to buy some used 325i.
post #12314 of 26963

I've owned Alessandro MS-1s for 9 years now, and it's time for me to upgrade. I love the grado sound but I wear glasses and it really really starts to get uncomfortable after an hour. I can buy these 'gamer' glasses, by gunnar, which are low profile or I can get another kind of headphone. The problem is when the headphones press my ear lobe against my glasses, it really starts to ache after awhile. Thing is, I don't know if any other headphones will be better in that regard. The HE-500's look comfortable, and the Grado GS-1000's look much more comfortable than the RS1i's which are the standard Grado style but the RS1i's sound like they'd have the sound for me, however the GS-1000's seem to sound better and have bigger pads. Does anyone have any suggestions for a glasses wearer such as myself?

post #12315 of 26963
Quote:
Originally Posted by walczyk View Post
 

I've owned Alessandro MS-1s for 9 years now, and it's time for me to upgrade. I love the grado sound but I wear glasses and it really really starts to get uncomfortable after an hour. I can buy these 'gamer' glasses, by gunnar, which are low profile or I can get another kind of headphone. The problem is when the headphones press my ear lobe against my glasses, it really starts to ache after awhile. Thing is, I don't know if any other headphones will be better in that regard. The HE-500's look comfortable, and the Grado GS-1000's look much more comfortable than the RS1i's which are the standard Grado style but the RS1i's sound like they'd have the sound for me, however the GS-1000's seem to sound better and have bigger pads. Does anyone have any suggestions for a glasses wearer such as myself?

I have the same problem as you. I have the HE-400 and they're more comfortable with glasses, but they're much more heavier and also the clamping force might be a problem for some.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!