Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... - Page 1481  

post #22201 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukEM22 View Post

Looking for a pair that is super comftorable, has a bass emphasis, folds, over ear and under $200.

Mostly listen to rap, starting to get into some AC/DC style music.

M50- not enough bass?

HFI 580- not very comftorable

DT770- doesnt fold

Q-40- not comftorable

D2000- doesnt isolate well

Pro 550- way to big looking

Pro700Mk2- not comfy

 

 

Am I mistaken on anything? What are my other options?

 

Monoprice MHP-839

 

This is somewhat of a joke suggestion, but it suits your needs.

post #22202 of 29491
Can someone pls tell me what a good/cheap ($60) y split cable with a 3.5mm jack for my grado sr60's would be?
post #22203 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukEM22 View Post

Looking for a pair that is super comftorable, has a bass emphasis, folds, over ear and under $200.

Mostly listen to rap, starting to get into some AC/DC style music.

M50- not enough bass?

HFI 580- not very comftorable

DT770- doesnt fold

Q-40- not comftorable

D2000- doesnt isolate well

Pro 550- way to big looking

Pro700Mk2- not comfy

 

 

Am I mistaken on anything? What are my other options?

I really like my dt770's even though they dont fold and let me tell you why. The dt770 is that one bass can that can do rock well in the 200 dollar catagory. The bass is there and prominate, but it isn't as big and boomy as some people sugest. One thing I don't really like about them is that they have a small soundstage and sometimes the music seems to get a bit clustered. All in all though I think the dt770's are the headphones you're looking for,

post #22204 of 29491

I do like them a lot but the not folding is such a big negative for me.

I was also looking at the Beyer Custom one Pro's, I like how you can switch the bass around. Beyer headphones are usually pretty comfy, arent they?

 

I feel like I'm missing something... suggestions?
 

post #22205 of 29491

Any recommendation for closed headphones around $100 or less? I use the JVC HARX700 right now, and I absolutely love they way they fit, but I'm looking for something with more isolation (the HARX700 are semi-open) with similar comfort. I've already tried the CALs, and while I loved the sound, I did not like the way they fit (cups were too small). I've seen the Shure SRH440 recommended a lot at this price range. Anyone have experience with them? My main priorities are comfort and isolation, and I'll be using these headphones mostly for gaming and rock music. Thanks in advance.
 

post #22206 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoGV View Post


In the US, the AD700 is less expensive than the other choices you mentioned.  It can be bought now at amazon.com for about $110, and this is a little higher than the usual price.  It has a natural balance, with an airy, spacious soundstage.  I find it very good for classical music.  It does not need an amp.  Many find it light in the bass. I say that it has a very musical, non-resonant bass.  It is open, very large, light, and, to most (including me), very comfortable.  Some, however, find that it does not clamp sufficiently and moves too easily to be truly comfortable.

Ah, that was not exactly the impression I got from the reviews on Amazon, thanks for telling me. It almost sounds like if I want depth to my bass, I must sacrifice another component...at least, for my price range. To me, the music isn't full enough if I'm not getting a rich sound on the lower end, but I also don't want it to come at the cost of muddy mids, or muffled highs.

post #22207 of 29491
Th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheisskopf View Post

Any recommendation for closed headphones around $100 or less? I use the JVC HARX700 right now, and I absolutely love they way they fit, but I'm looking for something with more isolation (the HARX700 are semi-open) with similar comfort. I've already tried the CALs, and while I loved the sound, I did not like the way they fit (cups were too small). I've seen the Shure SRH440 recommended a lot at this price range. Anyone have experience with them? My main priorities are comfort and isolation, and I'll be using these headphones mostly for gaming and rock music. Thanks in advance.

 

The Takstar Hi2050 should do you wonders. I have a pair and was completely blown away by them. Highly recommended.
post #22208 of 29491

Hi there!

 

I am also new to this forum and to good gear as well and as my AKG K518s have unfortunately died, I started looking for something better. I am into alternative rock (Radiohead), jazz and folk (mostly violin, drums and singing), therefore I would need the cans to be bassy and warm with a good separation of tone; over the ear type. Although I am not really into isolated headphones, it is probably the way to go, as I am on the move most of the time. The option to change the stock cable for after-market one would be nice, without taking the cans apart :)

 

I have a cowon iaudio7 which also needs replacing, no amplification yet, therefore I am open to any good ideas. My budget for the headphones is the same as above, so 250 $, and about 250 $ for the player + amp + DAC, in case the cans need amping.

 

Thank you very much in advance for any good ideas!

 

Greetings from Prague!

post #22209 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbd1 View Post

Ah, that was not exactly the impression I got from the reviews on Amazon, thanks for telling me. It almost sounds like if I want depth to my bass, I must sacrifice another component...at least, for my price range. To me, the music isn't full enough if I'm not getting a rich sound on the lower end, but I also don't want it to come at the cost of muddy mids, or muffled highs.


A headphone that is often compared to the Audio-Technica ATH AD-700 is the Sennheiser HD-518.  They are both large open headphones with velour earpads.  The HD-518 is about $20 more expensive and may benefit more from amping, although I find that my laptop (and, of course, my NAD 3130) powers it adequately.  It is sometimes available refurbished with a reduced (90 days, I think) Sennheiser warranty at http://www.vminnovations.com/Product_20034/Sennheiser-HD518-Around-the-Ear-Audiophile-Headphones-Refurbished-.html.  It has much stronger bass than the AD-700 but a narrower soundstage and (to me, at least) a less natural tonal balance. The following review makes the difference in the character of the two headphones clear:  http://www.hindustantimes.com/technology/Gadgets-Reviews/Review-Sennheiser-HD-518/SP-Article1-842043.aspx.  The HD-518 may be a better choice for rock music.

post #22210 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladridge View Post

Can someone pls tell me what a good/cheap ($60) y split cable with a 3.5mm jack for my grado sr60's would be?

 

A good y-splitter should cost less than $20.

 

Try Amazon or Monoprice. At Amazon, read the reviews if any. It will be obvious who's selling junk.

post #22211 of 29491
Hello people. I asked here a while ago looking for headphones capable of gaming an some music. I had to spend the money elsewhere, but now I have some money and I'm ready to spend $150-$200 on a nice pair of full-sized headphones.

This time I won't give gaming a chance, I'll just focus on music. An important thing to note is they'll be powered by my Galaxy S2 and my computer. I listen to (big emphasis on the bold ones):

Rock, metal and derivatives:
Linkin Park
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Bon Jovi
Queen
AC/DC

Dubstep, house and derivatives:
Madeon
Deadmau5
Ephixa
Skrillex

I've been looking at the M50s and Aurvana Live!, are those good choices for my type of music?
Edited by GasTrox - 12/14/12 at 11:31am
post #22212 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasTrox View Post

Hello people. I asked here a while ago looking for headphones capable of gaming an some music. I had to spend the money elsewhere, but now I have some money and I'm ready to spend $150-$200 on a nice pair of full-sized headphones.
This time I won't give gaming a chance, I'll just focus on music. An important thing to note is they'll be powered by my Galaxy S2 and my computer. I listen to (big emphasis on the bold ones):
Rock, metal and derivatives:
Linkin Park
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Bon Jovi
Queen
AC/DC
Dubstep, house and derivatives:
Madeon
Deadmau5
Ephixa
Skrillex
I've been looking at the M50s and Aurvana Live!, are those good choices for my type of music?

Creative Aurvana Live (CAL)
HIFI 780
Custom One Pro (COP) maybe... But still better than M50's
DT990/250 will run fine off of laptop but phone will need an amp to get most out of them.
post #22213 of 29491

Hey everyone, I'm new to the world of headphones and am looking for some for ~$100. I plan to use them at my desktop.  I'm using them for music, and gaming. I listen to a variety of rock and the gaming sound is second to the sound for music. I don't have a preference on open vs closed headphones. I tried out both Grado sr60i's and Sennheiser HD428's. I love how the Grados sound, but they get hot pretty fast.

 

The Grados weren't as uncomfortable as I have heard, but I am looking for something more comfortable/cooler. The pads on the Grados covered the driver, (they were S-cush I believe). Would an around ear phone be better for me? I have large ears and the HD428's bend the tops of my ears down, or sit on top of them.

 

Thanks for taking a look at my post.

post #22214 of 29491
Hey all, I wish I would've never rejoined this site...haha. Anyway I've been absent from here for about 6 years now and now I'm looking to get back in. It appears that the headphone game has changed completely in that time. From a time when headphone amps were hard to come by and Grado, Senn, and Beyer were about the only options out there.

Now I'm looking to get back in and I'm a bit overwhelmed with choices. I'm looking to build out my system incrementally starting with pair of decent cans for my most listened to music, then moving on to a good dac and amp, then finally going analog and getting ma few more pairs.

So what I'm looking for currently is an easy to drive pair that's good for house music with good bass extension but not necessarily loud bass as I usually listen to music while working at home and don't want them to be too distracting. They can be open or closed and I'm looking to spend no more than about $150.

I'm excited to be back. Thanks for any help you can provide.
post #22215 of 29491

for the first time, i have decided to invest into some good headphones. the main thing that i want/need is a noise canceling feature; however, i would like the headphones to do the noise canceling regardless of whether i am also playing music at the same time. it is not quite clear to me how this would work - i know that obviously passive noise canceling would work, but does that mean that any active noise canceling headphones do negligible canceling when not connected to a source? 

 

right now i'm looking at two models: sony MDR-NC200D and sennheiser HD 558. 

 

it seems to me that the sennheiser pair would work even if not connected to music, because they're circumaural so i'd expect some blockage there. however, the sony model seems more geared towards noise canceling. 

 

they're both about the same price, but i don't want to make a mistake and get a pair that is *not* able to block noise while i'm not playing music/while they're not connected to anything. that's my main priority - but of course, general sound quality can't be ignored...

 

although - someone in another thread just told me the HD558 won't be any good (for what i need) because they're open. so, i guess my question turns to, are the MDR-NC200D something i want, considering what i wrote above, or does anyone have other models to rec for that purpose/in that price range? thanks!

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum