- 29 Posts. Joined 2/2011
- Location: Melbourne. AU
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG Acoustics K240 Monitoring Headphonestagged by System, 8/17/11
- productAKG K 272 HD High-Definition Headphonestagged by System, 1/20/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 12/19/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 2/7/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/17/11
- brandPeachtree Audiotagged by System, 8/17/11
Related Forum Threads
- AKG K240M Last post on 8/26/11 at 8:11am in Headphones (full-size)
- Studio headphone impedance Last post on 11/4/13 at 2:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- Interesting Headphones for a Flat-Earth PRAT Last post on 11/4/13 at 5:27am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best over-ear headphones for $100 or less? Heres what Im looking for. Last post on 7/28/13 at 3:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphone under 100$ Last post on 12/11/13 at 3:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
This review is for someone looking for a good pair of in-ear headphones after using over-ear phones; that's the situation where I am coming from at least, as I have been using Sennheiser's HD598...
I was excited to be approached by world famous cable artisan company 'Effect Audio' and asked me to provide a review of their recently released Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable. This cable is...
This is my second attempt at using a portable amp (I returned my Fiio E12A for this). That was a good decision. The Cayin C5 is an absolute powerhouse. It can power IEM's and earbuds...
Introduction/Disclaimer I was given this sample in exchange for my honest opinion and impressions. I would especially like to thank Kathryn for getting in touch for purpose of this review. I...
I've become a big fan of wireless headphones over the years with aptx codec, bluetooth 4.0 technology, and li-ion batteries becoming the standard. This allows more of the battery to be dedicated to...
Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please... - Page 586post #8776 of 212389/29/12 at 6:41amIt certainly does! I haven't tried many other amps with the LCDs but it was a clear winner (for me) over the Sugden HA-4, and Schiit Mjolnir.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #8777 of 212389/29/12 at 6:55amQuote:
I like the Fit-PC too! Awesome little box. Does yours have the single or dual drive bays?post #8778 of 212389/29/12 at 6:56ampost #8779 of 212389/29/12 at 7:18amJust a single bay in which I have a 250Gb SSD which is more than enough for the OS and few essential software. I have external 2Tb connected via USB 3.Quote:
Edited by Sab666 - 9/29/12 at 7:19ampost #8780 of 212389/29/12 at 7:24amI did have an issue with heat after doing 122 Windows updates in a row! (about an hour and a half of constant strain on CPU and HD) Had to cool it down with a frozen pea bag.. But running JRiver MC, or even Photoshop 5 it doesn't break a sweat.Quote:
Edited by Sab666 - 9/29/12 at 7:25ampost #8781 of 212389/29/12 at 8:49ampost #8782 of 212389/29/12 at 9:06ampost #8783 of 212389/29/12 at 11:06ampost #8784 of 212389/29/12 at 11:36amQuote:
Stop spending money. Forever. You shall use every last bit of your money, hunt and gather for food, ride a bike to generate electricity and have a "Will work for music" sign
Have funpost #8785 of 212389/29/12 at 1:47pmpost #8786 of 212389/29/12 at 2:20pm
Hate to break it to ya, but you're in way too deep.post #8787 of 212389/29/12 at 2:29pm
Loving my DT880/250s, had 'em for 2 weeks now. They sound great with the E17. Drinking some limited release Lagunitas Sumpin' Wild right now... bought 3 bombers of it yesterday. One of my favorite beers of all time.post #8788 of 212389/29/12 at 3:08pm
Hmmm no BBcode on this forum?
Edited by Signy - 9/29/12 at 3:15pmpost #8789 of 212389/29/12 at 3:29pmpost #8790 of 212389/29/12 at 4:01pm
I love the Lehmann head-amps, they have such a super-sweet treble, never bright, never harsh. I had the Lehmann Rhinelander before it (actually still have it here in its box - must sell) and they're very similar sounding. I wanted the BCL because of its linear/integral PSU and the fact I could upgrade the mains cable at a later date. I suppose it would be fair to say that the BCL has slightly more authority and a more 'full bodied' sound than its cheaper brother but I wouldn't be unhappy if I still only had the Rhinelander.
I've swapped to the M-Dac from the Arcam rDAC because I've heard nothing but good things about it and it looks better ;) I've been listening to it for the past few days and fettling with the filters and FW versions (they do sound different). The designer, John Westlake is supporting it outside of Audiolab along with programmer Dominik and has been releasing updated FW for it but because of memory limitations within the internal processors, he's had to shunt processes around which has altered it's sonic sig. slightly. Some people prefer the original 'shipping' FW sq whereas others prefer the more clinical sound in the latest FW versions. There's TONS of information about all this on www.pinkfishmedia.net where John and Dom are quite prolific forum members. To summarise, I've (currently) settled on FW version A0.8 with the Optimal Transient XD filter and 'Phase Select' set to Reverse (180deg).
The HD700 I managed to get quite cheaply and so couldn't really say no. They are great and I'm delighted with them - super comfortable. A great step up from the 558's I was using.
Using a standard USB cable from my iMac (iTunes running on SSD) with Mark Grant G1000HD interconnect between DAC and amp. Currently got a NAIM PowerLine fitted to the Lehmann which is kindly on loan from a very nice customer of mine :) Thanks Chai. This will need to go back soon and not sure if I've heard or appreciated a difference over standard lead TBH...
Think that should cover everything :)
PS: Don't tell the wife how much these things cost.... I lie well ;)
- Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 30 seconds ago
- › "Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation &... 42 seconds ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 50 seconds ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Launch (With Impressions) - Head-Fi TV 1 minute ago
- › The NEW Cayin C5 portable power house. 1 minute ago
- › LG-V10 Hi-Fi audio quality review on serious audio performance 1 minute ago
- › Trinity VYRUS IEM available for pre-order now! 2 minutes ago
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › World First! Massdrop x HiFIMAN Collaboration Announcement 3 minutes ago
- › Balanced cable for HD700, He-400S, PM1/PM2 or newer He560/400i's 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE80 by AnssiRai
- › Effect Audio Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable by sonickarma
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Tayyab Pirzada
- › Edifier S1000DB Audiophile Active Bookshelf Speakers - Bluetooth... by dnun8086
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones by Llloyd
- › Simaudio 230HAD by sheldaze
- › FiiO L9 L-Shaped Line Out Dock (LOD) Cable For iPod and iPhone by ryanjsoo
- › Espressivo-E by Feliks Audio by thatonenoob
- › B&O Beoplay H6 (2nd generation) by istirsin
- › ONKYO A800 50mm Open Back Headphone by Sonic Defender
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...