Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › FiiO E9 Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FiiO E9 Review - Page 35

post #511 of 1313
Quote:
Originally Posted by disastermouse View Post

Arg....

 

I just realized that my E9 only has RCA out.  WTH?  The only way into the E9 is a generic one-port line-in or USB?  

 

Grrr....  My E9 is now useless with any other DAC - especially the one I just bought that has RCA interconnect line-outs (HRT MSII+).

 

Guess I'm in the market for a good SS amp that has RCA inputs.

Dude, RCA to 3.5mm cable to the line in.... THAT'S IT. It's the SAME quality.
 

post #512 of 1313

http://www.amazon.com/Nuforce-Transient-Cable-Performance-3-5mm/dp/B003WR8ISE/ref=pd_sim_e_8

 

i bought this rca-3.5mm cable from nuforce..

to link udac2 with rca out...into e9 with a line in.

post #513 of 1313
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmAndHammer View Post


I am curious about solid state and I am interested in some new hard to drive cans like the HD600/650 or K701...looks like this might be the amp to get my feet wet with. I'll have to the RCA to 3.5mm cable though since I already have a DAC and won't be buying the E7.




 

The HD 650 would be an interesting counterpoint to your Grados. The sound signatures seem to be distinctly different that neither would be redundant. The E9 seems to drive them sufficiently and the noise floor seems low (no graphs - no ability in that regard).

Thanks guys for the cable connector solution/suggestion. I was worried that the new DAC would be wasted with a questionable RCA to 3.5 cable and all I could find online were very cheap ones. The Nuforce transient looks like a good cable. I ended up getting a well-reviewed THX one before I saw this thread's updates (crazy night at work).

The RCA cables I got already can hibernate until I get a Lyr.
post #514 of 1313

FWIW, I think the E9 has great connectivity: it has a 3.5 mm line in jack, RCA line out jacks and a 3.5 mm pre-out jack, as well as a USB port for E7 docking. I use the E9's pre-outs to drive my active monitors when I'm not listening to headphones, and it works great as a DAC/pre-amp (Edit: with the E7 docked, of course). Whenever I unplug the headphones, the output is switched to the pre-out jack and vice versa. Very convenient.


Edited by ukkisavosta - 1/4/11 at 11:29pm
post #515 of 1313

I got the following cable from Monoprice for use with my E9:

 

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=5597&seq=1&format=2

 

The only complaint is that the 3.5mm jack is HUGE due to having to accommodate the termination of two thick and separate cables. Other than that, it works really well.

 

I would have really liked a BJC MSA-1, and the price at $27 is really attractive, knowing that its audio performance would be beyond dependable. 

 

Jack

post #516 of 1313


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-Micca View Post

I got the following cable from Monoprice for use with my E9:

 

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=5597&seq=1&format=2

 

The only complaint is that the 3.5mm jack is HUGE due to having to accommodate the termination of two thick and separate cables. Other than that, it works really well.

 

I would have really liked a BJC MSA-1, and the price at $27 is really attractive, knowing that its audio performance would be beyond dependable. 

 

Jack


Cool thanks a lot. Your right the 3.5mm jack does look rather big from the provided picture on monoprice. Did it fit into your Z2300 or should i look for a different cord?

post #517 of 1313

 Please disregard above post i made as the question has already been answered thank you

post #518 of 1313

Yes,you can connect HD600 to sockets in E9 front panel.

post #519 of 1313

"If you want to get the most of the abilities of a headphone that is of low impedance like Grado SR60 and others, the E9 is a must buy I think."

 

Grado SR60 + Fiio E9 = Excellent Sound for a Budget Audiophile!biggrin.gif

post #520 of 1313

Is that you or are you quoting someone? The E9 can handle a LOT more than Grados and similar low impedance level cans... How many times does it have to be said that it can handle conventional power-hungry flagships and then some?

post #521 of 1313

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riku540 View Post

Is that you or are you quoting someone? The E9 can handle a LOT more than Grados and similar low impedance level cans... How many times does it have to be said that it can handle conventional power-hungry flagships and then some?



I'm speaking of my own experience. My Grado SR60 surrendered already to E9 however my K701 is still having a freedom. K701 is a power hungry headphone. It's a rock, a big big rock to move! K701 is very pick of amplification. As of this time in my experience, E9 has not yet powered much my K701!  

post #522 of 1313

Have you tried the high-gain setting? I know quite a few people who have the K701/K702 with the E9 and it blows them away.

 

You're the first to say otherwise...

post #523 of 1313

Just a quick question. If I only buy the E7 and use it with my mp3 player, am i getting the benefit of both the DAC and the amp (as in the digitial signals bypass my mp3 player's dac/amp and go to the E7 for superior effects)? Or do I only get the DAC when connected to a computer?

post #524 of 1313
Quote:
Originally Posted by juman231 View Post

Just a quick question. If I only buy the E7 and use it with my mp3 player, am i getting the benefit of both the DAC and the amp (as in the digitial signals bypass my mp3 player's dac/amp and go to the E7 for superior effects)? Or do I only get the DAC when connected to a computer?


Computer only. I don't think there are mp3 players available that allow for the internal DAC to be bypassed.

 

If you're not in a rush, I would recommend the E11 over the E7 as it is a portable amp only. If I remember correctly it's scheduled to arrive this spring.

post #525 of 1313

Do you guys think this would be a good setup to use with ATH-M50s? Or would it be useless for me to get an amp at this point? Thanks!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › FiiO E9 Review