I'm bemused by these recurring references to harshness in the MC5. My main (but minor) beef with them is a lack of sparkle in the slightly too smooth highs. I guess that just shows that a lot of people have real trouble getting a proper seal with the triflanges.
- productEtymotic MC5tagged by System, 11/5/10
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 11/5/10
- productKlipsch IMAGE S4 In-Ear Enhanced Bass Noise-Isolating Headphonestagged by System, 11/5/10
- productKlipsch IMAGE S4-WH In-Ear Enhanced Bass Noise-Isolating Headphone, Whitetagged by System, 11/5/10
Related Forum Threads
- A Quick Klipsch S4 Review Last post on 10/28/10 at 7:08am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- New IEM ~100 USD - suggestions? Last post on 10/25/10 at 11:30am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- How these IEMs stack against Shure E3c? Last post on 2/13/11 at 1:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- best under $80 iem ? Last post on 10/11/10 at 11:49am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Beatles fan needs new IEM's - Klipsch S4 or Etymotic MC5 Last post on 9/23/10 at 10:33am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
I've owned an EarMax and Sennheiser HD 580's for 20 years, so I'm already familiar with tubed OTL headphone amps. The linestage of my old Quicksilver started developing some noise, and I didn't...
I bought these from Amazon about 2 weeks ago, and felt buyer's remorse when I wasn't blown away by the sound. They aren't bad, but they do lack bass and the feel is cheap. They were somewhat...
I would like to thank Brainwavz for the review sample of R3! Brainwavz R3 is a dual dynamic drivers IEM. It has 2 dynamic drivers in each housing, facing each other into a sound blending...
HIFIMAN HE-560 ON TAP: A FIRST DAY REVIEW SAGA (HIFIMAN HE-560 TOUR IMPRESSIONS) FIRST IMPRESSIONS Wow ... what a big box! I was expecting a more economically packaged box, but once I...
*Not an audio professional review, only my user opinion* After listening to lots of headphones inside this price ranger I decided on these. I was first worried cause lately I was reading lots...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
OUCH! I need better tips for my Ety MC5s! - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I actually really don't think its a seal issue. I can get a great seal with these, so much so that isolation is frightening and bass is readily apparent. It's not the usual tinny sound I'm getting from an unsealed phone. It may be a bad combination of source player with only-good amp (iPhone 4) and surprisingly hard to drive MC3's causing distortion, but I always experience a peak with the Etymotics a little bit below where I would normally experience Sss sibilance. So I end up getting a bit of a hard to listen to hot, smeared sound. I actually wouldn't mind more treble on the MC5's, but this mid-treble region really irks me. Sounds great with violins and trumpets, but infuriating with some filtered electronic effects.
It's also that I have occasional fit issues with the Tri Flanges where the deep insertion seems to actually do something in my ear canals so that I get fluttering in my left ear. (That's not assuring.)
Very good point- differences in the kind of music they're used for could also play a role in the divergent opinions.
Hehe yep. Actually, if all I listened to was classical, I think I would probably love them. String quarters in particular really just jump out and wow me on the ety's. It's only with bad recordings that I'd get sibilance on the MC5's with classical. (I'm guessing that might be a lot, if not just what you listen to Super?)
Unfortunately my two favourite genres are electropop/electroclash and indie acoustic, and it can sometimes get a little messy with the former. A lot of mastering nowadays seems to go for a bit of a hot presentation to get that ultra clean studio sound, but then the trade off seems to be bad synergy with some earphones.
- OUCH! I need better tips for my Ety MC5s!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Band Name Game II 46 seconds ago
- › Mostly Neutral, slightly warm headphones for Jazz 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 2 minutes ago
- › lurker for years OK I need some HELP PLEASE! 3 minutes ago
- › Best "affordable" outdoor headphones for under 70$ - recommendation... 4 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 4 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW FW. . link 1st page. . 5 minutes ago
- › Speaker amps for headphones 5 minutes ago
- › Review: Violectric V800 DAC 5 minutes ago
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Terja
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by xonarboy87
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by TheGame21x
- › Sony Walkman NWZ-A10 by castleofargh
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad900x by manbear
- › FitEar Private 333 by Kiats
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)