I'm bemused by these recurring references to harshness in the MC5. My main (but minor) beef with them is a lack of sparkle in the slightly too smooth highs. I guess that just shows that a lot of people have real trouble getting a proper seal with the triflanges.
- productEtymotic MC5tagged by System, 11/5/10
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 11/5/10
- productKlipsch IMAGE S4 In-Ear Enhanced Bass Noise-Isolating Headphonestagged by System, 11/5/10
- productKlipsch IMAGE S4-WH In-Ear Enhanced Bass Noise-Isolating Headphone, Whitetagged by System, 11/5/10
Related Forum Threads
- A Quick Klipsch S4 Review Last post on 10/28/10 at 7:08am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- New IEM ~100 USD - suggestions? Last post on 10/25/10 at 11:30am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- How these IEMs stack against Shure E3c? Last post on 2/13/11 at 1:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- best under $80 iem ? Last post on 10/11/10 at 11:49am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Beatles fan needs new IEM's - Klipsch S4 or Etymotic MC5 Last post on 9/23/10 at 10:33am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
In side the box besides the headphones of course, is the 3.5m cable which allows you to plug them into wired with any source, then the USB charge cable, which is...
Introduction/Disclaimer: I would like to thank Denise with Mixcder for the opportunity to review the X5 in ear monitor headphones. They provided me a free sample in exchange for my honest...
First thing you think of when you see this is, can this really project sound in 360 degrees, When you look at it, you wouldn't think it could. But yes it does, Sound is projected from...
Acknowledgment Thank you Lear for providing this review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. This review may also be viewed on my blog, here. List Price: $65 at time of review plus...
Xiaomi have always been ahead of it's time in budget high quality earphones and smarthphone, their goal look like to make accessible for the mass products that was only accessible for wealthy...
OUCH! I need better tips for my Ety MC5s! - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 2211/8/10 at 2:35pmQuote:
I actually really don't think its a seal issue. I can get a great seal with these, so much so that isolation is frightening and bass is readily apparent. It's not the usual tinny sound I'm getting from an unsealed phone. It may be a bad combination of source player with only-good amp (iPhone 4) and surprisingly hard to drive MC3's causing distortion, but I always experience a peak with the Etymotics a little bit below where I would normally experience Sss sibilance. So I end up getting a bit of a hard to listen to hot, smeared sound. I actually wouldn't mind more treble on the MC5's, but this mid-treble region really irks me. Sounds great with violins and trumpets, but infuriating with some filtered electronic effects.
It's also that I have occasional fit issues with the Tri Flanges where the deep insertion seems to actually do something in my ear canals so that I get fluttering in my left ear. (That's not assuring.)post #18 of 2211/8/10 at 11:40pmpost #19 of 2211/9/10 at 5:09amQuote:Sounds great with violins and trumpets, but infuriating with some filtered electronic effects.
Very good point- differences in the kind of music they're used for could also play a role in the divergent opinions.post #20 of 2211/9/10 at 12:38pmThread Starterpost #21 of 2211/9/10 at 12:41pmQuote:
Hehe yep. Actually, if all I listened to was classical, I think I would probably love them. String quarters in particular really just jump out and wow me on the ety's. It's only with bad recordings that I'd get sibilance on the MC5's with classical. (I'm guessing that might be a lot, if not just what you listen to Super?)
Unfortunately my two favourite genres are electropop/electroclash and indie acoustic, and it can sometimes get a little messy with the former. A lot of mastering nowadays seems to go for a bit of a hot presentation to get that ultra clean studio sound, but then the trade off seems to be bad synergy with some earphones.
post #22 of 2211/9/10 at 1:10pmReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- OUCH! I need better tips for my Ety MC5s!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › 64 Audio | apex | tia 55 seconds ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. Available on... 2 minutes ago
- › Aussie & NZ Head-Fiers Corner 5 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 6 minutes ago
- › Ranking the Stars - flinkenick's 2017 IEM Flagship Shootout 6 minutes ago
- › Tidal Masters & MQA Appreciation Thread! 8 minutes ago
- › New- Zishan Z1 DSD player thread 9 minutes ago
- › The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread 9 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Electrostatic Prototype Listening Impressions 10 minutes ago
- › USB Interface VS. Toslink from PC 12 minutes ago
- › Archeer AH07 Bluetooth Headphones Wireless Stereo Over Ear... by genclaymore
- › Wired Earphones, Mixcder X5 In-Ear Earbud Headphones Metal Housing... by slowpickr
- › ARCHEER Bluetooth Speakers Fabric Covering Portable Wireless... by genclaymore
- › LEAR BTC-01 by glassmonkey
- › Xiaomi Mi Hybrid Pro HD by Nymphonomaniac
- › Vibro Labs Aria quad armature in-ear monitor by Delance26
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Layman1
- › Fischer Audio Omega Spark by B9Scrambler
- › Meze 99 Neo by ryanjsoo
- › Beat Audio Signal by mrazik
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear