I'm bemused by these recurring references to harshness in the MC5. My main (but minor) beef with them is a lack of sparkle in the slightly too smooth highs. I guess that just shows that a lot of people have real trouble getting a proper seal with the triflanges.
- productEtymotic MC5tagged by System, 11/5/10
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 11/5/10
- productKlipsch IMAGE S4 In-Ear Enhanced Bass Noise-Isolating Headphonestagged by System, 11/5/10
- productKlipsch IMAGE S4-WH In-Ear Enhanced Bass Noise-Isolating Headphone, Whitetagged by System, 11/5/10
Related Forum Threads
- A Quick Klipsch S4 Review Last post on 10/28/10 at 7:08am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- New IEM ~100 USD - suggestions? Last post on 10/25/10 at 11:30am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- How these IEMs stack against Shure E3c? Last post on 2/13/11 at 1:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- best under $80 iem ? Last post on 10/11/10 at 11:49am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Beatles fan needs new IEM's - Klipsch S4 or Etymotic MC5 Last post on 9/23/10 at 10:33am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
So I bought these because I wanted to sleep and I can't sleep with over ear headphones on a window seat since the moment you put pressure on the bands, it goes haywire(the noise...
it take some time to fit these properly one of a kind sound great mids and highs, female vocal is good, male vocal a bit thin. At this price range, you can not get better bass, its the kind of...
Hi guys, this is my first post and my first review, please consider too that I am not a native speaker, neither an audiophile. Right now I own a useless Fiio X3, its battery died and I have...
I'm not sure if this is the same model I got with my iPhone 4s or not. There have been tons of different models of these buds released for different i-devices. The ones that I received with my 4s...
I barely used them... got one pair and a few months later the left earpiece started cutting sound. The retail shop opened them and did a messy job, were working and then stopped. Got a 2nd pair,...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
OUCH! I need better tips for my Ety MC5s! - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I actually really don't think its a seal issue. I can get a great seal with these, so much so that isolation is frightening and bass is readily apparent. It's not the usual tinny sound I'm getting from an unsealed phone. It may be a bad combination of source player with only-good amp (iPhone 4) and surprisingly hard to drive MC3's causing distortion, but I always experience a peak with the Etymotics a little bit below where I would normally experience Sss sibilance. So I end up getting a bit of a hard to listen to hot, smeared sound. I actually wouldn't mind more treble on the MC5's, but this mid-treble region really irks me. Sounds great with violins and trumpets, but infuriating with some filtered electronic effects.
It's also that I have occasional fit issues with the Tri Flanges where the deep insertion seems to actually do something in my ear canals so that I get fluttering in my left ear. (That's not assuring.)
Very good point- differences in the kind of music they're used for could also play a role in the divergent opinions.
Hehe yep. Actually, if all I listened to was classical, I think I would probably love them. String quarters in particular really just jump out and wow me on the ety's. It's only with bad recordings that I'd get sibilance on the MC5's with classical. (I'm guessing that might be a lot, if not just what you listen to Super?)
Unfortunately my two favourite genres are electropop/electroclash and indie acoustic, and it can sometimes get a little messy with the former. A lot of mastering nowadays seems to go for a bit of a hot presentation to get that ultra clean studio sound, but then the trade off seems to be bad synergy with some earphones.
- OUCH! I need better tips for my Ety MC5s!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 (Updated with ASG-2.5 and Tralucent Ref 1) 39 seconds ago
- › New Here. Need Help 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Hidizs AP100 (DAP) Support Team - Now on Head-fi! (35%OFF discount... 3 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 4 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 4 minutes ago
- › Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Sound Quality 5 minutes ago
- › Southeastern Michigan Spring Meet 03.14.2015 - Hosted by Overture... 5 minutes ago
- › Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120 8 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 8 minutes ago
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by yialanliu
- › KEF M200 Hi-Fi In-Ear Headphones, Aluminum/Black by 10shot9miss
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by Arturoo123
- › Apple iPod Earphones Headphones for iPod Nano, Touch & Classic by GoldenGuy66
- › Shure SE215 by damianmb
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Willy 2 Streams
- › Final Audio Design Adagio III by mark2410
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by paara
- › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition by gabrielnorena
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by lecky
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)