I'm bemused by these recurring references to harshness in the MC5. My main (but minor) beef with them is a lack of sparkle in the slightly too smooth highs. I guess that just shows that a lot of people have real trouble getting a proper seal with the triflanges.
- productEtymotic MC5tagged by System, 11/5/10
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 11/5/10
- productKlipsch IMAGE S4 In-Ear Enhanced Bass Noise-Isolating Headphonestagged by System, 11/5/10
- productKlipsch IMAGE S4-WH In-Ear Enhanced Bass Noise-Isolating Headphone, Whitetagged by System, 11/5/10
Related Forum Threads
- A Quick Klipsch S4 Review Last post on 10/28/10 at 7:08am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- New IEM ~100 USD - suggestions? Last post on 10/25/10 at 11:30am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- How these IEMs stack against Shure E3c? Last post on 2/13/11 at 1:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- best under $80 iem ? Last post on 10/11/10 at 11:49am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Beatles fan needs new IEM's - Klipsch S4 or Etymotic MC5 Last post on 9/23/10 at 10:33am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Fidelio X2 is a really nice headphone at this price point. I paid only 190 USD for a new pair and cannot be more happy with the purchase. X2 sounds very open and has an airy soundstage. Still the...
At the time this review was written the Cayin C5DAC was on sale at Penon Audio for $215.00 USD. Here is a link to their...
Intro When it comes to the world of PC audio, Creative Labs is a brand well known. For nearly 35 years Creative has been an industry leader in digital multimedia technology and innovation....
I have had my AK380 for over a month now and its time to post a review Before I had the AK380 I had an NW-ZX2 for 6 months, an AK240 for nearly two years and the AK120 before that, so yes, I...
I have tried the JBL Synchros line of s300, s500, and s700. As it turns out, the low end model sounds the best to me. These are on ear design, cups are about 3 inches wide. Headband and yokes are...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
OUCH! I need better tips for my Ety MC5s! - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I actually really don't think its a seal issue. I can get a great seal with these, so much so that isolation is frightening and bass is readily apparent. It's not the usual tinny sound I'm getting from an unsealed phone. It may be a bad combination of source player with only-good amp (iPhone 4) and surprisingly hard to drive MC3's causing distortion, but I always experience a peak with the Etymotics a little bit below where I would normally experience Sss sibilance. So I end up getting a bit of a hard to listen to hot, smeared sound. I actually wouldn't mind more treble on the MC5's, but this mid-treble region really irks me. Sounds great with violins and trumpets, but infuriating with some filtered electronic effects.
It's also that I have occasional fit issues with the Tri Flanges where the deep insertion seems to actually do something in my ear canals so that I get fluttering in my left ear. (That's not assuring.)
Very good point- differences in the kind of music they're used for could also play a role in the divergent opinions.
Hehe yep. Actually, if all I listened to was classical, I think I would probably love them. String quarters in particular really just jump out and wow me on the ety's. It's only with bad recordings that I'd get sibilance on the MC5's with classical. (I'm guessing that might be a lot, if not just what you listen to Super?)
Unfortunately my two favourite genres are electropop/electroclash and indie acoustic, and it can sometimes get a little messy with the former. A lot of mastering nowadays seems to go for a bit of a hot presentation to get that ultra clean studio sound, but then the trade off seems to be bad synergy with some earphones.
- OUCH! I need better tips for my Ety MC5s!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Boston Meet? 4 minutes ago
- › New Zealand Headphone Meet MK II, 2015 Ed. 6 minutes ago
- › Can My Home Reciever Output Virtual Surround Sound to my AD700x? 6 minutes ago
- › Cayin N5 DAP (Release Imminent) - Product Information and... 6 minutes ago
- › OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite 13 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 13 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH900 vs Senn HD800 13 minutes ago
- › AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone 14 minutes ago
- › vibro veritas, measuring our IEMs like a pro with amateur budget. 17 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by muxamed
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by Hisoundfi
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by Bansaku
- › Astell&Kern AK380 Ultimate High Fidelity Portable Music Player by piercer
- › JBL Synchros S300 Premium On-Ear Stereo Headphones by ourfpshero
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by Mark231
- › Sony MDR EX1000 by dubbcd
- › Cypher Labs Algorhythm Picollo by dubbcd
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by dubbcd
- › HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC 2 (External PSU) by BloodyPenguin
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2