I'm bemused by these recurring references to harshness in the MC5. My main (but minor) beef with them is a lack of sparkle in the slightly too smooth highs. I guess that just shows that a lot of people have real trouble getting a proper seal with the triflanges.
- productEtymotic MC5tagged by System, 11/5/10
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 11/5/10
- productKlipsch IMAGE S4 In-Ear Enhanced Bass Noise-Isolating Headphonestagged by System, 11/5/10
- productKlipsch IMAGE S4-WH In-Ear Enhanced Bass Noise-Isolating Headphone, Whitetagged by System, 11/5/10
Related Forum Threads
- A Quick Klipsch S4 Review Last post on 10/28/10 at 7:08am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- New IEM ~100 USD - suggestions? Last post on 10/25/10 at 11:30am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- How these IEMs stack against Shure E3c? Last post on 2/13/11 at 1:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- best under $80 iem ? Last post on 10/11/10 at 11:49am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Beatles fan needs new IEM's - Klipsch S4 or Etymotic MC5 Last post on 9/23/10 at 10:33am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Brainwavs are at it again with their new 10mm dynamic driver based IEM named "S5". I must say I was intrigued to try the new sample and where they'd come from Brainwavs B2 I owned many months...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
I was looking for a cheap and cheerful, fun sounding closed can for listening at my computer at work and some limited portable use. I typically listen to EDM in this setting and had been using the...
I built my first ever PC with this sound card, I had already brought a Asus board that has SupremeFX and well the ZxR dethroned the Asus immediately. I have not heard any of the Asus Xonar PCIe...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
OUCH! I need better tips for my Ety MC5s! - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I actually really don't think its a seal issue. I can get a great seal with these, so much so that isolation is frightening and bass is readily apparent. It's not the usual tinny sound I'm getting from an unsealed phone. It may be a bad combination of source player with only-good amp (iPhone 4) and surprisingly hard to drive MC3's causing distortion, but I always experience a peak with the Etymotics a little bit below where I would normally experience Sss sibilance. So I end up getting a bit of a hard to listen to hot, smeared sound. I actually wouldn't mind more treble on the MC5's, but this mid-treble region really irks me. Sounds great with violins and trumpets, but infuriating with some filtered electronic effects.
It's also that I have occasional fit issues with the Tri Flanges where the deep insertion seems to actually do something in my ear canals so that I get fluttering in my left ear. (That's not assuring.)
Very good point- differences in the kind of music they're used for could also play a role in the divergent opinions.
Hehe yep. Actually, if all I listened to was classical, I think I would probably love them. String quarters in particular really just jump out and wow me on the ety's. It's only with bad recordings that I'd get sibilance on the MC5's with classical. (I'm guessing that might be a lot, if not just what you listen to Super?)
Unfortunately my two favourite genres are electropop/electroclash and indie acoustic, and it can sometimes get a little messy with the former. A lot of mastering nowadays seems to go for a bit of a hot presentation to get that ultra clean studio sound, but then the trade off seems to be bad synergy with some earphones.
- OUCH! I need better tips for my Ety MC5s!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Lets Talk Metal 3 seconds ago
- › Q701 impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Grado e Series 3 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 5 minutes ago
- › Review: Violectric V800 DAC 7 minutes ago
- › Uplifting Trance reccomendations 10 minutes ago
- › NewOpto KH - 01 headphone portable amp at Fujiya Avic 2014 Show 10 minutes ago
- › Bose Sues Beats for Patent Infringement 11 minutes ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › AKG K490 NC by MP3guy
- › Corsair Vengeance 2000 Wireless 7.1 Gaming Headset (CA-9011115-NA) by DallasDanielle
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)