Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › PS1000 Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PS1000 Appreciation Thread - Page 33

post #481 of 814

Regarding the whole PS1000 vs HD800 debate, to quote Sean Connery in the Highlander, "There can be Only One". Further, to quote Sean Connery in the Untouchables, "If you open the ball on these [headphones]  you better be prepared to go all the way". 

 

I doubt many people will really like both headphones. They are pretty different in their presentation. Further, the PS1000 is absolutely brututally revealing to the point where I am now looking at $500 power cords (and they work!) to turn all that treble into little microdetails that tickle the ears, not gouge them out. Garbage in, garbage out.

 

They are both good headphones but I think the PS1000 has more super-high end potential. The question is whether there are source components and material good enough for them? 

post #482 of 814

Quite naive question here, does rs1, gs1000, ps1000 share the same driver?

post #483 of 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by safer View Post

Quite naive question here, does rs1, gs1000, ps1000 share the same driver?

Nope. I verified this with Grado a few weeks ago. 

post #484 of 814
@ safer, you're not the first to pose that question. There's a view that Grado utilises the same driver but "dopes" it for different models.
post #485 of 814

thanks for the information, will search for more.

post #486 of 814
Good luck with your search but I doubt that you'll find a definitive answer. Does it matter what driver Grado uses in the PS1000 if it sounds great?
post #487 of 814

Sub.

post #488 of 814

PS1000 Ballanced ? 

 

Gentlemen, has someone re-wired his PS1000 for balanced connection and tried it on a balanced amp ?  Is there a sonic step-up ? how can you describe the difference in sonic signature ?   What balanced Headphone-amp were you using (I am still hesitating between the EC Balancing Act, Woo22, and some SS balanced headphone...) ? 

 

I`m very interested to hear your comment because I am investing in a complete balanced system.

 

thanks

post #489 of 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by unspool View Post

Good luck with your search but I doubt that you'll find a definitive answer. Does it matter what driver Grado uses in the PS1000 if it sounds great?

 

The definitive answer is that the drivers in the Grados headphones are completely different from one another. This is straight from John Grado. Anyone who doesnt' want to take my word for it can simply send them an email like I did.

post #490 of 814
Would you really expect Grado to tell you that they actually do tweak the same driver for use in different models? I don't have a view on this but I can understand how the rumour arose. The differences in sound quality are subtle as you move up the Prestige line. Even when you compare the RS1, GS1000 and the PS1000, the family resemblance is strong. It's not implausible to suggest that the differences in sound between them is mainly due to artful driver tweaking.
post #491 of 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by unspool View Post

Would you really expect Grado to tell you that they actually do tweak the same driver for use in different models? I don't have a view on this but I can understand how the rumour arose. The differences in sound quality are subtle as you move up the Prestige line. Even when you compare the RS1, GS1000 and the PS1000, the family resemblance is strong. It's not implausible to suggest that the differences in sound between them is mainly due to artful driver tweaking.

 

Of course I believe him. He would be a complete idiot to be dishonest about it. The damage to his reputation that could come from lying to a customer in an email is FAR worse than using the same driver in all his headphones and people having a problem with that. I've had several conversations with a few of the folks at Grado, and they have always been very candid and honest with me. On top of that, they have excellent customer service. If they used the same driver, I dont see why he'd have any reason not to just admit it. 

post #492 of 814
Believe what you like but Grado wouldn't be the only audio company to sell some snake oil. It wouldn't concern me if Grado preferred ongoing refinement to innovation and R&D. I enjoy the results of their efforts however they achieve them.
post #493 of 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by unspool View Post

Believe what you like but Grado wouldn't be the only audio company to sell some snake oil. It wouldn't concern me if Grado preferred ongoing refinement to innovation and R&D. I enjoy the results of their efforts however they achieve them.

 

I'm not really the type to take part in baseless speculation usually lol...I guess the one thing we can agree on is that their headphones are pretty enjoyable :)

post #494 of 814
I don't know whether the speculation is baseless or not but it's been around for a while. Maybe the Grado modders might have some interesting insights to offer on the subject.
Edited by unspool - 10/26/12 at 10:19pm
post #495 of 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by unspool View Post

I don't know whether the speculation is baseless or not but it's been around for a while. Maybe the Grado modders might have some interesting insights to offer on the subject.

 

What I probably should have said was that I don't tend to spend time looking into things when I've taken steps that I feel have settled the issue to my own satisfaction. I don't really know how anyone could be more credible than the guy who actually designs the farking things, but to each their own! :)

 

I will say that my GS1ks are growing on me more each day....I like them quite a lot and I couldn't imagine not having them along with the 500s. Now I just need to get some RS-1s! haha

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › PS1000 Appreciation Thread