Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Audio-gd NFB-10
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio-gd NFB-10 - Page 183

post #2731 of 2810
Though keep in mind it is awfully difficult to volume match SE vs balanced for a "fair" comparison. I also felt balanced have an advantage but honestly cannot be sure if the volume are really matched when I compared them....
Edited by kkcc - 9/26/13 at 7:20pm
post #2732 of 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaco17 View Post
 

So guys I'm stuck. Been trying to decide if I'm want to go balanced or not. I'm looking at getting the NFB-10ES2 BUT everything I have is single ended... I do plan on getting a HD800 soon, and I could balance my AD2000x and PS500. (kinda a lot of current for these guys though lol) So is it worth going balanced? How is the single ended performance of this amp? How does it compare to the  NFB-11.32 in single ended operation? My ultimate goal is to replace my o2/ODAC with something with balls that sounds neutral.

 

 

If you want to go balanced these Audio-GD all in one balanced units are really tough to beat. Before hopping into balanced, I'd strong suggest you read up on it, and why it matters. IMHO, there's a lot of money in having balanced gear, and sometimes it might be wiser to put that money in other places of the audio chain :D 

post #2733 of 2810

If you can solder, or know someone who can, and have a ohms meter, modifying a single ended cable to balanced is relatively easy to do. 

Kingwa sells the kit and gives instructions on the Audio-GD site on how to do it. The adapter at Audio-GD is $30. Scroll down to the bottom of the page:

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB10ES/NFB10ES2EN.htm

post #2734 of 2810

I actually bought 75ft of Canare L4E6S cables and re-cabled every single one of my headphones with a balanced plug minus the AT W10VTG. Gerat fun!

post #2735 of 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcherfly View Post
 

If you can solder, or know someone who can, and have a ohms meter, modifying a single ended cable to balanced is relatively easy to do. 

Kingwa sells the kit and gives instructions on the Audio-GD site on how to do it. The adapter at Audio-GD is $30. Scroll down to the bottom of the page:

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB10ES/NFB10ES2EN.htm

 

It's really dependent on the cable. Some are very easy to do, but some are not. The parts in the kit are a 4 pin male XLR and a 4 pin female XLR, which cost around $10 here if you're looking to lower costs. 

post #2736 of 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidiousX View Post
 

Probably sooner or later 10ES2 standard might retire, especially concerning the fact that case which was re--used from 10.32, will be no longer in mass production as of 10.32 changed into 10.33. So sooner or later there old chassis supplies will sell out and i do not think they will be remade again. It was not so imple earlier in disscussion becasue there was no 10.33 at that time in equation, but now it is.

As i have forseen it, the king is dead NFB-10ES2, long live the king NFB-10ES3

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB10ES/NFB10ES2EN.htm

btw. life span of NFB-10ES2 is the new shortest record in Audio-GD history, if i am not mistaken.

post #2737 of 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidiousX View Post
 

As i have forseen it, the king is dead NFB-10ES2, long live the king NFB-10ES3

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB10ES/NFB10ES2EN.htm

btw. life span of NFB-10ES2 is the new shortest record in Audio-GD history, if i am not mistaken.

 

... I like my ES2 thank u! Volume Buttons are cool! I like being knobless :3 

post #2738 of 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

 

... I like my ES2 thank u!

What's not to like, excellent construction at good value. Good choice indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

 

Volume Buttons are cool! I like being knobless :3

So do i, unfortunatelly for me, some Audio-GD users complaining on forum about lack of knob, then Kingwa listened and bring back knob. IMHO buttons are more practical, more user friendly and they are less vulnerable.

post #2739 of 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidiousX View Post
 

What's not to like, excellent construction at good value. Good choice indeed.

So do i, unfortunatelly for me, some Audio-GD users complaining on forum about lack of knob, then Kingwa listened and bring back knob. IMHO buttons are more practical, more user friendly and they are less vulnerable.

 

Exactly, but I do see why ppl like a knob, it's a touch thing honestly. People enjoy being able to grab a hold of it, I don't mean sexual... unless ur into that kidna thing

 

but it's more of what they are used to. Every one grew up  turning dials, buttons are a little unnatural. 

post #2740 of 2810

Wazzup people, soonish getting meself a pair of LCD-3's and wondering how good is this dac/amp combo? Seen some nice reviews here by 2 folks, one with even a video review.

 

I'm wondering, on the DAC side, what would you say it could compare to in terms of price/performance ratio? Like if you were to compare it to another companies DAC, what DAC would it be?

 

Cause this might probably be my next purchase, since I can't find any other decent dac/amp all roads (Including the high Audio-gd usage in these forums) lead to Eldorado

post #2741 of 2810
My current observations with HD600's & xlr cable, in comparison to going from my old pc soundblaster audigy card. If anyone can enlighten me on the following as something doesn't seem right.

The instrumentals seem alot clearer, tighter, less noise, i can hear more sligt details, & more soundstage & far better enjoyment. Overall SQ was very obvious improvement.

But there seems to be something wrong with the vocals. Here is the way I describe them if anyone knows what this means? My terms are probably contracting but I'm no audiophile.

While the vocals are better quality & sharper, I think the vocals are worse, more muffled & echoed & irritating. They sound more 3d & chessy, but really sound like they are in my head too. I feel like a layer needs to be lifted to enjoy them. On my speakers they sound crazy good. so its not the recording.

Maybe this unit is showing me how bad the HD600's really are? And maybe my old sound card was hiding that from me?
post #2742 of 2810

HD600 is a good pair of headphones, but it's dark. You don't get as much soundstage/out-of-your-head-sound (Not anywhere near either HD700/800) and bass as you get from something like the HD700.

The price does talk, when you know where to look.

 

Don't have yet this dac/amp but I'm thinking about it, for the HD700/LCD-3 combination. So can't comment if it's what's affecting the HD600 so bad.

post #2743 of 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaunty22 View Post

My current observations with HD600's & xlr cable, in comparison to going from my old pc soundblaster audigy card. If anyone can enlighten me on the following as something doesn't seem right.

The instrumentals seem alot clearer, tighter, less noise, i can hear more sligt details, & more soundstage & far better enjoyment. Overall SQ was very obvious improvement.

But there seems to be something wrong with the vocals. Here is the way I describe them if anyone knows what this means? My terms are probably contracting but I'm no audiophile.

While the vocals are better quality & sharper, I think the vocals are worse, more muffled & echoed & irritating. They sound more 3d & chessy, but really sound like they are in my head too. I feel like a layer needs to be lifted to enjoy them. On my speakers they sound crazy good. so its not the recording.

Maybe this unit is showing me how bad the HD600's really are? And maybe my old sound card was hiding that from me?

These impressions... are em.... strange (for lack of a better term). Which nfb10 are you referring to? And what type of music on what kind of speakers/headphones were you listening to in arriving these impression?
Edited by kkcc - 10/1/13 at 2:50am
post #2744 of 2810
It is possible that the unit exposes some badly recorded vocals and your speakers are not equally resolving.
Try to hear some better recordings.
And also try any other headphone, in case your particular HD600 is faulty.
Edited by i019791 - 10/1/13 at 3:46am
post #2745 of 2810

Guys, I need to get off the acid, because now the vocals are sounding really good. Think I spoke too soon. Must be hard to get use to a new sound.

 

Vocal trance & 80's rock for example were the examples.

 

I can really appreciate my 600's now with movie soundtracks. They are MUCH cleaner & more enjoyable.

 

..but the vocals i feel need some improvement. They just don't come close to my monitors (KH120's). I look forward to getting hd800s eventually.

 

cheers


Edited by Ghaunty22 - 10/1/13 at 3:46am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Audio-gd NFB-10