Will I hear a difference between the low and high resistance settings with the Audinst HUD-MX1? I'm driving a Sennheiser HD650 and I didn't want to dig into the device without having a true purpose. The low setting is rated for up to 300 ohms, and the high setting is 300-600 ohms. Obviously, the HD650s are rated at 300 ohms, so I would like to know if it would actually be beneficial to change the Audinst to its higher setting. Has anybody tried this with their own setup?
Related Forum Threads
- What Amp/ DAC Combination for Games/ Films on PS3/ PC Last post on 9/6/11 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Can anyone vouch for the Audinst MX-1? Last post on 11/8/10 at 9:08pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- HELP:AUDINST HUD-MX1 or Tian Yun Zero DAC--->YAMAHA HP-3 Last post on 8/21/10 at 3:29am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audinst HUD MX1 w/ K702? Last post on 9/14/10 at 8:58pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Beauty and the Beast... Woo WA2 vs WA22 Last post on 7/21/15 at 11:27am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
iBasso IT03 [1xDD 2xBA] Introduction: the mission statement of the company iBasso is “To capture the essence of music for all to enjoy” On their Facebook banner it also reads “We...
In 1976 two engineering students at Cambridge University with a passion for electronics and music founded Amplification and Recording Cambridge (Arcam). In 1988 they produced the first...
Very detailed quality sound . I am able to find details which missed before. Details with layer and staging. Staging and positioning isn't huge or odd. But I can feel it in my head when listening...
Disclaimer Firstly, I would like to thank the 1More team for giving these to me for the purpose of this review. All impressions will be made from as much as an objective standpoint as possible....
This is a review of the Advanced AcousticWerkes Nebula 2 IEM’s. The Advanced AcousticWerkes (AAW) Nebula 2 was sent to me from MusicTeck who is the authorized dealer in the US for AWW. A big...
Audinst HUD-MX1: High or Low Resistance Setting?post #1 of 59/7/10 at 7:04pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 59/8/10 at 5:28amThread Starterpost #3 of 59/8/10 at 6:14am
Just to make things clear: the MX1 output impedance is 5 ohm, regardless of settings.
The jumper is actually adjusting the gain factor of the headphone amplifier, it does not alter any resistive value on the headphone output.
The difference between the two settings:
- default gain setting offers 5V pp (peak to peak), for a 32 ohm load (or 800mW, roughly 100mW @ 300ohm)
- high gain setting offers +/-10Vpp, for a 600 ohm load (no rated power, but it should be close to 200mW @ 600ohm and double that @ 300ohm).
Now, all these number don't mean anything by themselves.
- the default gain is sufficient to drive just about anything. I can get decent levels of loudness with my AKG K501 (94db/mW) or the even less sensitive K240DF (rated at 600ohm and 88db/mW). It should have absolutely no problem driving the HD650 to quite loud levels.
The advantage of default gain is the larger operating range of the potentiometer and lack of clipping.
- the high gain offers 4 times more voltage than default. This setting basically provides more loudness should one need it, but brings absolutely no benefit to sound quality.
It is reasonable to use this setting on very low sensitivity cans (like the 88db/mW AKG K240DF), but anything beyond 96-98db/mW is just fine on the default gain.
The main drawback of the high gain is susceptibility to clipping and the short usable range on sensitive cans.
So, getting back to your original question (after a rather long winded explanation) I do not see any practical need to adjust the gain setting with HD650.post #4 of 59/8/10 at 8:40amThread Starter
- Audinst HUD-MX1: High or Low Resistance Setting?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 35 seconds ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › iPhone 7 Will Revolutionize Portable Audio for the First Time in a... 1 minute ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 1 minute ago
- › IBasso Audio IT03 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 1 minute ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic... 2 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 2 minutes ago
- › iBasso IT03 by jon parker
- › Arcam irDAC-II - DAC, Headphone Amp, Bluetooth Streamer by crabdog
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by dubbcd
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones with Microphone and Remote... by dnun8086
- › AAW Nebula Two Hybrid In-Ear Monitor by peter123
- › Brainwavz Krudul Duo Earphone Storage Management System Hanger by FUYU
- › Panasonic sealed earphone high-res sound source Silver RP-HDE10-S by Ralphee
- › SMSL sApII TPA6120A2 Big Power High Fidelity Stereo Headphone... by richyboy
- › Alpha & Delta D2 by crabdog
- › Philips SHE3595WT/28 In-Ear Headset with Mic White by Prosie
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...