Will I hear a difference between the low and high resistance settings with the Audinst HUD-MX1? I'm driving a Sennheiser HD650 and I didn't want to dig into the device without having a true purpose. The low setting is rated for up to 300 ohms, and the high setting is 300-600 ohms. Obviously, the HD650s are rated at 300 ohms, so I would like to know if it would actually be beneficial to change the Audinst to its higher setting. Has anybody tried this with their own setup?
Related Forum Threads
- What Amp/ DAC Combination for Games/ Films on PS3/ PC Last post on 9/6/11 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Can anyone vouch for the Audinst MX-1? Last post on 11/8/10 at 9:08pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- HELP:AUDINST HUD-MX1 or Tian Yun Zero DAC--->YAMAHA HP-3 Last post on 8/21/10 at 3:29am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audinst HUD MX1 w/ K702? Last post on 9/14/10 at 8:58pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Beauty and the Beast... Woo WA2 vs WA22 Last post on 9/27/13 at 11:56am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/16/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
This headphone has a great neutral sound but I can see many people finding the bass a bit too lean yet not light. This can be due to poor seal which as mentioned earlier is a bit tough to get for...
160$ - 180$ price range but was lucky enough to buy it from e-bay only 100$ ?!!?
Intro My hifi journey started 2 years ago with a pair of Sennheiser hd598s and an Asus Xonar Essence Stx sound card. A modest entry, but I have spent a lot of money trying to recapture that wow...
Own them for a while now really love them! bought a couple comply foam tips which are more comfortable then the stock ones. the stock ones are decent i liked the triple flang ones but comply foam...
Introducing Brainwavz very uniquely designed dual dynamic IEM Brainwavz R3 (Comply Tips) Brainwavz R3 Dual Dynamic IEM I've been lucky enough recently to start...
Audinst HUD-MX1: High or Low Resistance Setting?post #1 of 59/7/10 at 7:04pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 59/8/10 at 5:28amThread Starterpost #3 of 59/8/10 at 6:14am
Just to make things clear: the MX1 output impedance is 5 ohm, regardless of settings.
The jumper is actually adjusting the gain factor of the headphone amplifier, it does not alter any resistive value on the headphone output.
The difference between the two settings:
- default gain setting offers 5V pp (peak to peak), for a 32 ohm load (or 800mW, roughly 100mW @ 300ohm)
- high gain setting offers +/-10Vpp, for a 600 ohm load (no rated power, but it should be close to 200mW @ 600ohm and double that @ 300ohm).
Now, all these number don't mean anything by themselves.
- the default gain is sufficient to drive just about anything. I can get decent levels of loudness with my AKG K501 (94db/mW) or the even less sensitive K240DF (rated at 600ohm and 88db/mW). It should have absolutely no problem driving the HD650 to quite loud levels.
The advantage of default gain is the larger operating range of the potentiometer and lack of clipping.
- the high gain offers 4 times more voltage than default. This setting basically provides more loudness should one need it, but brings absolutely no benefit to sound quality.
It is reasonable to use this setting on very low sensitivity cans (like the 88db/mW AKG K240DF), but anything beyond 96-98db/mW is just fine on the default gain.
The main drawback of the high gain is susceptibility to clipping and the short usable range on sensitive cans.
So, getting back to your original question (after a rather long winded explanation) I do not see any practical need to adjust the gain setting with HD650.post #4 of 59/8/10 at 8:40amThread Starter
- Audinst HUD-MX1: High or Low Resistance Setting?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Audiophiles - Listening to music or to gear? 23 seconds ago
- › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! 51 seconds ago
- › AKG-Q701 vs SoundMagic HP200 vs Fidelio X1 1 minute ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Impressions and feedback. 1 minute ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › Bass heavy in ear headphones under $30 1 minute ago
- › Earsonics S-EM6 2 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! Yamaha HPH-200 (PG 1110) !!.KEF... 3 minutes ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 4 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 4 minutes ago
- › AKG K 550 by countolaf
- › Yamaha HPH-MT120BL High Fidelity Over-ear Headphones by ron watson
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by davisman
- › TDK BA200 by ScreenKiller
- › Brainwavz R3 Dual Dynamic Driver Earphones by Brooko
- › Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone by Trunks159
- › Samson SR950 by Emid
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by Misterbushido-
- › Ultrasone DJ1 by HybridBlinds
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by davisman
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by SocialCapital