Will I hear a difference between the low and high resistance settings with the Audinst HUD-MX1? I'm driving a Sennheiser HD650 and I didn't want to dig into the device without having a true purpose. The low setting is rated for up to 300 ohms, and the high setting is 300-600 ohms. Obviously, the HD650s are rated at 300 ohms, so I would like to know if it would actually be beneficial to change the Audinst to its higher setting. Has anybody tried this with their own setup?
Related Forum Threads
- What Amp/ DAC Combination for Games/ Films on PS3/ PC Last post on 9/6/11 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Can anyone vouch for the Audinst MX-1? Last post on 11/8/10 at 9:08pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- HELP:AUDINST HUD-MX1 or Tian Yun Zero DAC--->YAMAHA HP-3 Last post on 8/21/10 at 3:29am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audinst HUD MX1 w/ K702? Last post on 9/14/10 at 8:58pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Beauty and the Beast... Woo WA2 vs WA22 Last post on 7/21/15 at 11:27am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
https://store.thinksound.com/ I would like to give a hearty thanks to Thinksound's Aaron Fournier for reaching out to me for this review. I was provided with a review sample of the ON2...
This is a review of the Burson Audio Cable+ RCA to RCA active cable. The Burson Audio Cable+ was sent to me by Burson Audio for me as a loaner unit to test it out, thanks to Burson Audio for...
Most people balk at spending more than $20 on a pair of headphones, given the disposable history of a typical portable consumer headphones for the past 35 years. Music lovers who do invest in a...
It’s Black Friday, and what’s more black than to buy a good pair of headphones for your favorite rocker or metalhead. Today the headphone audiophile community is buzzing about what may become a...
The evolution of headphones has been fascinating to watch over the years. Pretty much everyone aged 50 and younger has grown up using headphones, and have owned many, many pairs. Some may remember...
Audinst HUD-MX1: High or Low Resistance Setting?post #1 of 59/7/10 at 7:04pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 59/8/10 at 5:28amThread Starterpost #3 of 59/8/10 at 6:14am
Just to make things clear: the MX1 output impedance is 5 ohm, regardless of settings.
The jumper is actually adjusting the gain factor of the headphone amplifier, it does not alter any resistive value on the headphone output.
The difference between the two settings:
- default gain setting offers 5V pp (peak to peak), for a 32 ohm load (or 800mW, roughly 100mW @ 300ohm)
- high gain setting offers +/-10Vpp, for a 600 ohm load (no rated power, but it should be close to 200mW @ 600ohm and double that @ 300ohm).
Now, all these number don't mean anything by themselves.
- the default gain is sufficient to drive just about anything. I can get decent levels of loudness with my AKG K501 (94db/mW) or the even less sensitive K240DF (rated at 600ohm and 88db/mW). It should have absolutely no problem driving the HD650 to quite loud levels.
The advantage of default gain is the larger operating range of the potentiometer and lack of clipping.
- the high gain offers 4 times more voltage than default. This setting basically provides more loudness should one need it, but brings absolutely no benefit to sound quality.
It is reasonable to use this setting on very low sensitivity cans (like the 88db/mW AKG K240DF), but anything beyond 96-98db/mW is just fine on the default gain.
The main drawback of the high gain is susceptibility to clipping and the short usable range on sensitive cans.
So, getting back to your original question (after a rather long winded explanation) I do not see any practical need to adjust the gain setting with HD650.post #4 of 59/8/10 at 8:40amThread Starter
- Audinst HUD-MX1: High or Low Resistance Setting?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › The decline of the forum signature 10 seconds ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 44 seconds ago
- › Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions 47 seconds ago
- › The Stax Thread III 55 seconds ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 1 minute ago
- › NEW! SONY NW-A30 SERIES 1 minute ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 4 minutes ago
- › Official X1 2nd gen stable firmware discussion thread--version 1.2 5 minutes ago
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by Dsnuts
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by peter123
- › BeyerDynamic DT 1990 PRO 250 Ohm Open Studio Headphones (710490) by Fastnbulbous
- › Fostex TH-X00 Massdrop exclusive by Fastnbulbous
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Fastnbulbous
- › 1MORE MK801 Over-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and Remote... by glassmonkey
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by zamroni
- › Sennheiser Urbanite XL Wireless by Rafique Adzam
- › Mcdodo Lightning to Audio Cable (for iPhone 7) w/ charging function by Webkarma
- › Final F7200 by malcolm.mcintyre
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...