Will I hear a difference between the low and high resistance settings with the Audinst HUD-MX1? I'm driving a Sennheiser HD650 and I didn't want to dig into the device without having a true purpose. The low setting is rated for up to 300 ohms, and the high setting is 300-600 ohms. Obviously, the HD650s are rated at 300 ohms, so I would like to know if it would actually be beneficial to change the Audinst to its higher setting. Has anybody tried this with their own setup?
Related Forum Threads
- What Amp/ DAC Combination for Games/ Films on PS3/ PC Last post on 9/6/11 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Can anyone vouch for the Audinst MX-1? Last post on 11/8/10 at 9:08pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- HELP:AUDINST HUD-MX1 or Tian Yun Zero DAC--->YAMAHA HP-3 Last post on 8/21/10 at 3:29am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audinst HUD MX1 w/ K702? Last post on 9/14/10 at 8:58pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Beauty and the Beast... Woo WA2 vs WA22 Last post on 7/21/15 at 11:27am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I still have yet to give anything 5 stars. The SR-202, for me, is a solid option for alternatives to the HD700, if you can find them without breaking the bank. I will start with the things I...
Fidue A65 Thanks to tony from hifiheadphones for letting me be part of the UK tour. TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS Drivers: Custom 8mm dynamic driver with Titanium...
Background When was the last time you used a pair of earbuds? Perhaps you use your Apple Earpods at work to remain inconspicuous, or maybe you are one of the many who have purchased the VE...
About Me: I'm just your average guy making his way through college with a passing interest in audio fidelity. I'm NOT an audiophile, but I've got a little experience ranging from lower-end...
Preamble:Pai Audio (http://www.paiaudio.com/indexEn.asp) is a relatively new audio company and based in Shenzhen, China. Established in 2014, they have specialised in manufacturing in-ears....
Audinst HUD-MX1: High or Low Resistance Setting?post #1 of 59/7/10 at 7:04pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 59/8/10 at 5:28amThread Starterpost #3 of 59/8/10 at 6:14am
Just to make things clear: the MX1 output impedance is 5 ohm, regardless of settings.
The jumper is actually adjusting the gain factor of the headphone amplifier, it does not alter any resistive value on the headphone output.
The difference between the two settings:
- default gain setting offers 5V pp (peak to peak), for a 32 ohm load (or 800mW, roughly 100mW @ 300ohm)
- high gain setting offers +/-10Vpp, for a 600 ohm load (no rated power, but it should be close to 200mW @ 600ohm and double that @ 300ohm).
Now, all these number don't mean anything by themselves.
- the default gain is sufficient to drive just about anything. I can get decent levels of loudness with my AKG K501 (94db/mW) or the even less sensitive K240DF (rated at 600ohm and 88db/mW). It should have absolutely no problem driving the HD650 to quite loud levels.
The advantage of default gain is the larger operating range of the potentiometer and lack of clipping.
- the high gain offers 4 times more voltage than default. This setting basically provides more loudness should one need it, but brings absolutely no benefit to sound quality.
It is reasonable to use this setting on very low sensitivity cans (like the 88db/mW AKG K240DF), but anything beyond 96-98db/mW is just fine on the default gain.
The main drawback of the high gain is susceptibility to clipping and the short usable range on sensitive cans.
So, getting back to your original question (after a rather long winded explanation) I do not see any practical need to adjust the gain setting with HD650.post #4 of 59/8/10 at 8:40amThread Starter
- Audinst HUD-MX1: High or Low Resistance Setting?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › OnePlus 3 Audio Quality? 17 seconds ago
- › A little about the Shozy Alien 41 seconds ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Launch (With Impressions) - Head-Fi TV 1 minute ago
- › AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard... 2 minutes ago
- › Shanling M2 DAP 2 minutes ago
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player 2 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX80 Bug Thread - Post Any Firmware Bugs/Issues Here 2 minutes ago
- › audio-technica ATH-AD1000X versus ATH-AD900X 3 minutes ago
- › Official Head-Fi Houston Fourth-of-July Weekend Meet: Saturday -... 6 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 6 minutes ago
- › Stax SR-202 by snapacap
- › Fidue A65 - Titanium micro dynamic driver IEM by Deftone
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Zen V2 by Aornic
- › Sennheiser HD 558 by Midgetguy
- › Pai Audio MR4 by HiFiChris
- › Echobox Audio Finder X1 by Hisoundfi
- › Alpha & Delta D2 by Hisoundfi
- › RHA MA750i by Cinder
- › RM-S1 Wired Sport Headset Stereo Headphone Earphone For iPhone 6... by Redcarmoose
- › Westone Um Pro 50 Clear Earbuds by ryanjsoo
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...