Will I hear a difference between the low and high resistance settings with the Audinst HUD-MX1? I'm driving a Sennheiser HD650 and I didn't want to dig into the device without having a true purpose. The low setting is rated for up to 300 ohms, and the high setting is 300-600 ohms. Obviously, the HD650s are rated at 300 ohms, so I would like to know if it would actually be beneficial to change the Audinst to its higher setting. Has anybody tried this with their own setup?
Related Forum Threads
- What Amp/ DAC Combination for Games/ Films on PS3/ PC Last post on 9/6/11 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Can anyone vouch for the Audinst MX-1? Last post on 11/8/10 at 9:08pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- HELP:AUDINST HUD-MX1 or Tian Yun Zero DAC--->YAMAHA HP-3 Last post on 8/21/10 at 3:29am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audinst HUD MX1 w/ K702? Last post on 9/14/10 at 8:58pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Beauty and the Beast... Woo WA2 vs WA22 Last post on 9/27/13 at 11:56am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
These are great headphones I was turned onto from the forum. On this forum you have to assess who is enthusiastic about what. Generally, there is a difference between enthusiasm from novices...
Some Background: I’m currently 18 years old which as little as that matters to me seems to be interesting to many people in this community. I’ve always liked music... [[SPOILER]] . Prelude:I...
I Ventured to buy those headphones fater a massive discount in pre-christmas sales here in mexico, for $178 USD i consider them to be a great buy The construction of those cans seems to be...
This is gonna be a simple review BASS For a $7 in ear it is actually really good. A little overbearing at times but quite articulate considering the price. MIDS They are not airy and vocals by...
These headphones sound very precise and balanced. You will hear your music as it was recorded, mixed, and mastered which is the approach I prefer to trying to find headphones that try to EQ things...
Audinst HUD-MX1: High or Low Resistance Setting?post #1 of 59/7/10 at 7:04pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 59/8/10 at 5:28amThread Starterpost #3 of 59/8/10 at 6:14am
Just to make things clear: the MX1 output impedance is 5 ohm, regardless of settings.
The jumper is actually adjusting the gain factor of the headphone amplifier, it does not alter any resistive value on the headphone output.
The difference between the two settings:
- default gain setting offers 5V pp (peak to peak), for a 32 ohm load (or 800mW, roughly 100mW @ 300ohm)
- high gain setting offers +/-10Vpp, for a 600 ohm load (no rated power, but it should be close to 200mW @ 600ohm and double that @ 300ohm).
Now, all these number don't mean anything by themselves.
- the default gain is sufficient to drive just about anything. I can get decent levels of loudness with my AKG K501 (94db/mW) or the even less sensitive K240DF (rated at 600ohm and 88db/mW). It should have absolutely no problem driving the HD650 to quite loud levels.
The advantage of default gain is the larger operating range of the potentiometer and lack of clipping.
- the high gain offers 4 times more voltage than default. This setting basically provides more loudness should one need it, but brings absolutely no benefit to sound quality.
It is reasonable to use this setting on very low sensitivity cans (like the 88db/mW AKG K240DF), but anything beyond 96-98db/mW is just fine on the default gain.
The main drawback of the high gain is susceptibility to clipping and the short usable range on sensitive cans.
So, getting back to your original question (after a rather long winded explanation) I do not see any practical need to adjust the gain setting with HD650.post #4 of 59/8/10 at 8:40amThread Starter
- Audinst HUD-MX1: High or Low Resistance Setting?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › The Stax Thread III 2 seconds ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 21 seconds ago
- › New Release! The K7XX Massdrop First Edition - an exclusive from... 32 seconds ago
- › HifiMan HE-560 US Touring Event - Sign up List Updated 1 minute ago
- › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones 1 minute ago
- › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone... 1 minute ago
- › KOSS ESP-950 Thread 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions. 2 minutes ago
- › beyerynamic DT 150 Compact Closed Headphone (250 Ohms) by jdpark
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by Mitchell4500
- › Sony MDR-1R by gerelmx1986
- › Panasonic RP-HJE120-K In-Ear Earbud Ergo-Fit Headphone (Black) by JAMEZTHEBOI
- › thinksound on1 Supra-Aural On-Ear Monitor Wooden Headphone by Pacal
- › Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player... by musikaladin
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by Galvatron
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 4 GB MP3 Player (Red) by Mitchell4500
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by Mitchell4500
- › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones by dreamwhisper
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)