2002 - The original Gilmore Dynamic Headphone Amplifier (later known as the "Gilmore V1") was introduced. This was a big change for headphone amps as it was one of the only discrete designs available and one of the first amps to ever be sold almost exclusively to Head-Fi members.
2003 - The Gilmore V2, which dramatically improved on the build quality of the Gilmore V1 with a professional quality enclosure.
2004 - Gilmore Lite.
2005 - GS-1 using Gilmore module boards
2006 - GS-X (balanced) using Gilmore module boards
It's been about 4.5 years, and no new Gilmore designs for dynamic headphones from HeadAmp. Why? Because portables took over. However, I believe there is still a place for desktop powered amplifiers; they just need to have the right features.
So...a significant update is coming, called the Gilmore X2. In some ways, this is a replacement for the discontinued Gilmore Lite. In other ways, it's an upgrade over all the other desktop amps I currently offer.
* Small size: 5.5" wide, 8" deep, and less than 2" tall. Perfect to fit on what space is left on any desktop.
* Small detached power supply that can sit on the floor, keeping the transformer away from audio circuitry (low noise floor) and available for 100, 120, and 240V
* More IEM friendly: has 1/8" output in addition to 1/4" output jack
* Gain switch with 1x (unity) and 6x
* Alps Blue volume control
* 2 RCA inputs (switch on front)
* RCA pre-amp output with switch to enable/disable it
* Updated with surface mount components
* Blue Hawaii SE style and build quality
And the best new feature, an optional 24/96 Asynchronous USB DAC module will be available at a very reasonable price. This is based on an Asynchronous USB design that was licensed by HeadAmp after commissioning custom modifications to meet our specs.
I expect that the Gilmore X2 will be priced at $599 and the optional 24/96 Asynchronous USB DAC will add $299.
Edited by justin w. - 12/16/10 at 8:43am