Just to be pedantic, the hyphen goes here: SR-71B.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 4/5/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 1/25/11
- productJH Audio JH13 Pro Custom In-Ear Monitorstagged by System, 4/5/11
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 7/19/10
- productRay Samuels Audio Emmeline SR-71B Balanced Amptagged by nightmancometh, 11/18/13
- productRay Samuels Audio SR-71tagged by System, 7/30/10
- productRSA Hornettagged by System, 7/19/10
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 4/5/11
Related Forum Threads
- The best portable amp Last post on 8/25/13 at 6:00pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Looking for "best" portable amp for Audeze LCD-2 Last post on 8/30/12 at 10:36pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Portable amp for LCD2 Last post on 8/14/14 at 8:35am in Portable Headphone Amps
- No bass on SR-71B Last post on 6/27/11 at 8:11am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Portable Amp for my Beyerdynamic DT990 600 ohm Last post on 2/12/11 at 8:40am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)Last edited: 7/30/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
Intro The HE-400i is the latest headphone from Hifiman. It was released recently as a replacement for the popular HE-400. This write-up will give my initial impressions of the HE-400i as well as...
There's not much that haven't been said about this amazing universal IEM so I'll try not to repeat. I bought the TG334 at Fujiya Avic...thanks to AnakChan for his strong recommendation and for...
This is a review of Logitech/Ultimate Ears UE900s multi-driver in-ear monitors. http://www.ultimateears.com/en-us/900s The original UE900 was my first pair of hi-fi IEMs, the one which opened...
Brainwavz S5 Review: There are questions, and then there are questions that you get asked constantly. One of the most common requests of knowledge from me are on if unit X is better than unit...
I've received Concero HP from Ressonsense Labs for writing review in russian, but I want to share my thoughts with Head-Fi. As usual, I'll be somewhat brief, as I'm not so good in English, but I...
RSA SR71b, quad mono balanced. img. 1 & 17 Review pg 32, 34, 68, UPDATED 4/2013 for Improved sound. - Page 72post #1066 of 11839/9/13 at 8:52pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1067 of 11839/10/13 at 9:06am
I have had my SR-71B for about 2½ years and have been very happy with it driving HE-500, FA003 and JH13 all balanced. Unfortunately the batteri was down to 3-4 hours on a charge so I contacted Ray to have it replaced and he offered to do the upgrade at the same time. Have now got it back and can only say that it is now an even better amp (at least going from memory). Yes the high gain has been upped and the low and medium gain are the same so it now drives the HE-500 with more volume for the same dial position. The background is totally silent and black except on silly setting (high gain and max volume with JH13). There seems to be even better control, slam and impact to the bass and as a result even more control and clarity over the rest of the frequency range. I don't know if this is the best portable amp in exsistence but ir is certainly the best portable amp out of the >10 I have owned over the years. It is also scarily close (though different in tone and sound) to my big home RudiStor amp that cost 4-5 times as much. Seriously good value and very well pleased.post #1068 of 11839/11/13 at 6:13amI agree it definitly is a amazing sounding amplifier bakanced. It really shines balanced. If you are running it se or if you plan,on using it se you are really not doing this amp justice.
I have learned to get used to and adjust to the sound of the balanced output. Once I realized wjat I was hearing it definitely impressed mepost #1069 of 11839/11/13 at 8:33amQuote:Originally Posted by Mooses9
I agree it definitly is a amazing sounding amplifier bakanced. It really shines balanced. If you are running it se or if you plan,on using it se you are really not doing this amp justice.
I have learned to get used to and adjust to the sound of the balanced output. Once I realized wjat I was hearing it definitely impressed me
Not only that, as now I´ve had the amp for almost 3 months and it seems to have serious channel imbalance issues when using the SE. Clearly Balanced is the way to go! Just have to re-cable my RS1's so i can have a fully balanced rig and be done with it.post #1070 of 11839/11/13 at 5:36pmQuote:
That definitely should not be.
Unbalanced, this amp is (should be) as good as other unbalanced amps, at the least.post #1071 of 11839/11/13 at 9:47pmquote name="Stoney" url="/t/502696/rsa-sr71b-quad-mono-balanced-img-1-17-review-pg-32-34-68-updated-4-2013-for-improved-sound/1065#post_9795399"]
That definitely should not be.
Unbalanced, this amp is (should be) as good as other unbalanced amps, at the least.
I agree that sounds more like a mechanical issue than a balanced vs single ended issue imo.post #1072 of 11839/12/13 at 4:24amQuote:
Remember that the SR71B has a volume pot system that can be adjusted for imbalance. If that doesn't work, send it back to Ray.
Also, the RS-1's are a treat balanced...have fun.
Edited by wolfen68 - 9/12/13 at 4:25ampost #1073 of 11839/12/13 at 9:16ampost #1074 of 118310/20/13 at 8:16ampost #1075 of 118310/22/13 at 5:10pmpost #1076 of 118310/22/13 at 6:36pmQuote:
do you plan on using the optical out of the ak100 with a Dac, then the sr71bpost #1077 of 118310/23/13 at 7:03amQuote:
Not really, I didn't spend the money on the AK100 just to bypass the DAC, seems a bit of a waste.post #1078 of 118310/23/13 at 8:16am
Not yet, as i am sort of on a long trip right now. I'll send them in about a month. The thing is, even if i have the amp connected to the CLAS with the SE line out and just select the balanced input, the problem is apparently solved.post #1079 of 118310/23/13 at 12:54pmpost #1080 of 118310/23/13 at 1:07pm
- RSA SR71b, quad mono balanced. img. 1 & 17 Review pg 32, 34, 68, UPDATED 4/2013 for Improved sound.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Shure SRH-840 vs Denon AH-D2000 3 seconds ago
- › Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced - updated with... 1 minute ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking) 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › Difference between the MEElectornic M6 earphones first generation... 3 minutes ago
- › SummitFi EDM Rig - Studio Six vs Liquid Gold vs BHSE / LCD X vs LCD... 4 minutes ago
- › The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 6 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1, the first high-res DAP for the young ! 7 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 7 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by canuckavelli
- › FitEar TO GO! 334 by Francisk
- › Logitech UE 900 by twister6
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by bowei006
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by cleg
- › JDS Labs C5D by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by twister6
- › Shure SE215 by Existence
- › Audiofly AF140 In-Ear Headphones (Gray) by Loquah
- › Brainwavz R3 Dual Dynamic Driver Earphones by hans030390
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)