I might fit this baby inside a Hifi2000 Slim case, probably going to look sleek.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Has anyone listened to the PS1000's with a Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear? Last post on 2/12/11 at 4:44pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 1/12/15 at 3:42pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Matrix M-Stage Observations Last post on 9/9/10 at 6:53am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Matrix m-stage Last post on 10/14/10 at 8:00am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Beware!!! I purchased the Matrix-M Stage a month and a half ago, now the soundstage is gone Last post on 9/1/10 at 7:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Bought one of these to keep me going while I save for a replacement dac for my bedside rig. My previous Dac's have all been in the lower to mid end so this review is based on that level- Arcam,...
Details: Single balanced armature flagship universal IEMs from Final Audio Design Price: Heaven VII EU 550; Heaven VIII EU 600 Specs: Driver: Single BA | Imp: 24Ω | Sens: 106 dB | Freq: not...
The Audeze LCD 2.2 is one of the most popular headphones on Head-Fi. Much has already been written about them, so adding yet another review may not offer anything new or different. However, when...
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Sennheiser US for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. While waiting to receive my review unit of recently...
- Headphone Impedance
The "Lovely Cube" Headphone Amp (Lehmann Black Cube Linear Clone) - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
No, but I believe that comes with the case which I did not order. The board itself came with a pair of really nice quality RCA jacks.
That thing is called and "IEC power jack", this particular one has a fuse and a power button built in. You can order them online or just rip them out of some old piece of electronics equipment.
New pictures, I've decided the case I was using was too big and heavy. re-cased it in a $5 project box from Radio Shack. Now I have shorter cable runs with silver teflon cables.
The brass knob is from Head Fi'er Vilts.
Edited by francisdemarte - 7/11/10 at 6:34am
Stumbled on more technical info for the Lovely Cube.
The Kit Parts List :
|Parts||Parts no. on PCB (not on Schematic)||Qty|
|10R 1W||R110、111、210、211 (Panasonic / Taiwan Resistor) * note 1||10|
|47R 1W||R309、310、315、316 (R309 & 310 : 3W OHMITE -USA / DRALORIC) * note 1||10|
|250V/1.5u||C101、201 (Simens) * note 1||2|
|63V/0.022||C102、202、315、316 (SPRAGUE 223 / ERO 223) * note 1||4|
|250V/0.1u||C301-304 (BC / ERO) * note 1||4|
|63V/0.15u/154||C307-312 (Simens / ERO) * note 1||6|
|63V/100P||C317、318 (Philips Tin Foil) * note 1||2|
|35V/470uf||C103、104、203、204、313、314 (Philips BC / ELNA RE3 25V) * note 1||6|
|50V/4700uf||C305、306 (ELNA) * note 1||2|
|* note 1 : Brand /Model depends on stock availability , or same grade|
|Transistor / Diode|
|LED||L303 (Blue) 3mm||1|
|IC / OPAMP|
|OPA2134UA||SOIC to DIP8||1|
|2 Way dB Switch/Selector||SW101、201||2|
|Fuse (PPTC) 72V 0.9A||F201、202||2|
|Heat Sink TO-220||Large for Rectifier /Small for BD139/140||6|
|TO-220 Silica Set||Sheet+Plastic Ring+Screw||6|
|6.35mm Headphone Jack||NEUTRIK||2|
|5.0mm Connection Block 3PIN||for AC Input||1|
|VR 50K*2||ALPS-27 (Half Round Shaft)||1|
|RCA Socket||One Red, One Black||2|
|Transformer ( Optional)||Input : 220V (Red - Red) Output : 2x15V 30VA (Blue - Blue , Black - Black)||Optional|
Nope haven't done it yet. I'm leaving for vacation and my wedding Thursday and I'll get to it when I get back.
I've always been dissuaded from using high speed soft recovery diodes/FREDs/Schottkys as I've been told they make very little to no audible difference over a traditional one. Do you have any experiences to the contrary?
The next major mod I think I'll make is to replace the RK27 with a DACT or the Twisted Pear Joshua Tree attenuator and a nicer wood case :) over the $7 Rat Shack one I'm using now.
After much consideration, I've finally placed an order over the weekend.
I have no DIY experience at all so I'm hoping it wouldn't be too tough.
Should I be looking for RCA jacks, some jumpers (if so, what types?) and a power cord now?
I got the whole package with a nice-looking Talema transformer by the way.
Alright. I'll make a thread if I do need more help with the DIY.
I'm getting fidgety already (it's still not here!) and had forgotten that it's supposed to come with the jacks. While waiting, I did realise that the old iron is busted, the only solder I could find at home is too thick and a lot of equipment that I thought I had are missing. Going to have to do more shopping.
Hmm, I'll be sure to post pics alright. Heh. What with nobody else doing so. We need more pics and feedback!
And oh, congratulations on your wedding Francis!
They send by regular post so it took a week and a half for mine to arrive and clear US customs.
* basic soldering iron and if you feel like it accessories like a stand and a sponge (I like Weller)
* Electrical grade solder
* Flux (I like the paste type that comes in a tube or jar, and a toothpick to spread it)
* 22-26 gauge wires of your choice
* A nice pair of wire strippers that can handle small 22-26 gauge wire
* small screwdrivers
* heat shrink tubing (They provide a couple of pieces in your order but its nice to have extra of various sizes)
* lighter to small torch for the heat shrink tubes
Not necessary for this project but nice to have is a digital multimeter if you want to do more DIY projects in the future.
Tanget has some nice video tutorials on soldering: http://www.tangentsoft.com/elec/movies/
PS: Thanks for the wedding wishes :) I take off for Costa Rica tomorrow!
PPS: Really nice to see all the Audio Technica woodie fans.
Stephen, the seller, says it should take 4-6 days to reach me (Singapore) after he mails it later today.
Thanks for the comprehensive list! Do you think I should get wires too while I'm at it? How about a "3rd helping hand"? I came across tangent's site after following a link on the STEPS regulator here and I've been glued to it ever since (the "luxury" of unemployment). Great material and I'm already thinking of assembling the YJPS out of curiousity. haha
Have a great wedding and come back to enjoy your AT woodies soon!
Okay. It arrived on Monday. Very nicely packaged and bubble wrapped.
After practising my soldering first, blowing a fuse (a spare one was provided! phew) and fumbling around, I managed to get it up and running with the seller's patient assistance through email.
I read that the BCL sounds best at the highest gain setting, so I'm using that with W1000X. The headamp is basically noise-free for my listening and pretty transparent in my opinion. I'm actually sad that my source (Musiland Monitor 02 USD) is not that fabulous. Regardless, soundstage and bass are noticeably much better.
It really brought a old CD player that I dug up back to life though. And here it is, the full package with the top removed:
I noticed that there isn't a clear image of the opamp used in the output stage so...
It's a BBOPA 2134UA. Burr Brown?
Anyways, it was a great first experience with DIY. Seller provided basically everything to complete the amp. Very good workmanship, parts and service for the price point, in my newbie opinion.
- The "Lovely Cube" Headphone Amp (Lehmann Black Cube Linear Clone)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 58 seconds ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream) 1 minute ago
- › Project Ember Review 2 minutes ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 3 minutes ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 3 minutes ago
- › The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread! 4 minutes ago
- › FS/FT: Sennheiser HD 700 LNIB 2-year warranty (Looking for a decent... 4 minutes ago
- › Meridian Explorer² Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread 5 minutes ago
- › SilverFi D-2 vs.Oyaide DR-510 Digital cables & SilverFi Spirit SG... 5 minutes ago
- › Pro-Ject Audio DAC Box E Entry Level DAC Black by LugBug1
- › Final Audio Design Heaven Viii by newzild
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by hodgjy
- › Shanling M3 Portable Digital Audio Player by YoYo JoKeR
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones in Black M2AEBT by twister6
- › Noble 4 by Kuroneko Guy
- › Superlux HD669 by Philliphobia
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by blankdisc
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by JohnPham
- › Chord&Major Major6'13 "Ballad" by kalbee
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2