I might fit this baby inside a Hifi2000 Slim case, probably going to look sleek.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Has anyone listened to the PS1000's with a Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear? Last post on 2/12/11 at 4:44pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 4/5/16 at 2:45am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Matrix M-Stage Observations Last post on 9/9/10 at 6:53am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Matrix m-stage Last post on 10/14/10 at 8:00am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Beware!!! I purchased the Matrix-M Stage a month and a half ago, now the soundstage is gone Last post on 9/1/10 at 7:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Alright, these are the most confusing set of cans I've ever owned. Why are they so cheap? It doesn't make any sense. Right out of the gate, these are the most comfortable set of headphones...
These are easily my favorite headphones I own. My review will be assuming you have Shure 1540 pads, but I'll go over some other options as well. Lets get the big negative out of the way now....
AK Audio Super Dolphin 6BASticking a Dolphin in your ears! DisclaimerThe Super Dolphin 6BA is a loaner unit provided in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion. I have tried my best to...
This is an excellent pair of headphones, sound is very clear, and the looks are impressive. I am disappointed with the padding, hurts to wear in less then 15 minutes. Pads can be replaced though....
I've had mine for almost 5 years, still breathing and still sounds great! I've had mine short circuit for two times because and fixed it, still sounds the same. So far this is the best for me and I...
- Headphone Impedance
The "Lovely Cube" Headphone Amp (Lehmann Black Cube Linear Clone) - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
No, but I believe that comes with the case which I did not order. The board itself came with a pair of really nice quality RCA jacks.
That thing is called and "IEC power jack", this particular one has a fuse and a power button built in. You can order them online or just rip them out of some old piece of electronics equipment.
New pictures, I've decided the case I was using was too big and heavy. re-cased it in a $5 project box from Radio Shack. Now I have shorter cable runs with silver teflon cables.
The brass knob is from Head Fi'er Vilts.
Edited by francisdemarte - 7/11/10 at 6:34am
Stumbled on more technical info for the Lovely Cube.
The Kit Parts List :
|Parts||Parts no. on PCB (not on Schematic)||Qty|
|10R 1W||R110、111、210、211 (Panasonic / Taiwan Resistor) * note 1||10|
|47R 1W||R309、310、315、316 (R309 & 310 : 3W OHMITE -USA / DRALORIC) * note 1||10|
|250V/1.5u||C101、201 (Simens) * note 1||2|
|63V/0.022||C102、202、315、316 (SPRAGUE 223 / ERO 223) * note 1||4|
|250V/0.1u||C301-304 (BC / ERO) * note 1||4|
|63V/0.15u/154||C307-312 (Simens / ERO) * note 1||6|
|63V/100P||C317、318 (Philips Tin Foil) * note 1||2|
|35V/470uf||C103、104、203、204、313、314 (Philips BC / ELNA RE3 25V) * note 1||6|
|50V/4700uf||C305、306 (ELNA) * note 1||2|
|* note 1 : Brand /Model depends on stock availability , or same grade|
|Transistor / Diode|
|LED||L303 (Blue) 3mm||1|
|IC / OPAMP|
|OPA2134UA||SOIC to DIP8||1|
|2 Way dB Switch/Selector||SW101、201||2|
|Fuse (PPTC) 72V 0.9A||F201、202||2|
|Heat Sink TO-220||Large for Rectifier /Small for BD139/140||6|
|TO-220 Silica Set||Sheet+Plastic Ring+Screw||6|
|6.35mm Headphone Jack||NEUTRIK||2|
|5.0mm Connection Block 3PIN||for AC Input||1|
|VR 50K*2||ALPS-27 (Half Round Shaft)||1|
|RCA Socket||One Red, One Black||2|
|Transformer ( Optional)||Input : 220V (Red - Red) Output : 2x15V 30VA (Blue - Blue , Black - Black)||Optional|
francisdemarte: Have you direct-coupled the inputs yet (removed caps)? Also do you think you will replace the diodes D301-D304 with HEXFREDs or other soft-recovery diodes?
Nope haven't done it yet. I'm leaving for vacation and my wedding Thursday and I'll get to it when I get back.
I've always been dissuaded from using high speed soft recovery diodes/FREDs/Schottkys as I've been told they make very little to no audible difference over a traditional one. Do you have any experiences to the contrary?
The next major mod I think I'll make is to replace the RK27 with a DACT or the Twisted Pear Joshua Tree attenuator and a nicer wood case :) over the $7 Rat Shack one I'm using now.
After much consideration, I've finally placed an order over the weekend.
I have no DIY experience at all so I'm hoping it wouldn't be too tough.
Should I be looking for RCA jacks, some jumpers (if so, what types?) and a power cord now?
I got the whole package with a nice-looking Talema transformer by the way.
You'll do fine, just take your time.
I recommend you start a thread on the DIY forum. If you get stuck you can ask for help there or in this thread.
Post lots of pictures!
Alright. I'll make a thread if I do need more help with the DIY.
I'm getting fidgety already (it's still not here!) and had forgotten that it's supposed to come with the jacks. While waiting, I did realise that the old iron is busted, the only solder I could find at home is too thick and a lot of equipment that I thought I had are missing. Going to have to do more shopping.
Hmm, I'll be sure to post pics alright. Heh. What with nobody else doing so. We need more pics and feedback!
And oh, congratulations on your wedding Francis!
They send by regular post so it took a week and a half for mine to arrive and clear US customs.
* basic soldering iron and if you feel like it accessories like a stand and a sponge (I like Weller)
* Electrical grade solder
* Flux (I like the paste type that comes in a tube or jar, and a toothpick to spread it)
* 22-26 gauge wires of your choice
* A nice pair of wire strippers that can handle small 22-26 gauge wire
* small screwdrivers
* heat shrink tubing (They provide a couple of pieces in your order but its nice to have extra of various sizes)
* lighter to small torch for the heat shrink tubes
Not necessary for this project but nice to have is a digital multimeter if you want to do more DIY projects in the future.
Tanget has some nice video tutorials on soldering: http://www.tangentsoft.com/elec/movies/
PS: Thanks for the wedding wishes :) I take off for Costa Rica tomorrow!
PPS: Really nice to see all the Audio Technica woodie fans.
Stephen, the seller, says it should take 4-6 days to reach me (Singapore) after he mails it later today.
Thanks for the comprehensive list! Do you think I should get wires too while I'm at it? How about a "3rd helping hand"? I came across tangent's site after following a link on the STEPS regulator here and I've been glued to it ever since (the "luxury" of unemployment). Great material and I'm already thinking of assembling the YJPS out of curiousity. haha
Have a great wedding and come back to enjoy your AT woodies soon!
Okay. It arrived on Monday. Very nicely packaged and bubble wrapped.
After practising my soldering first, blowing a fuse (a spare one was provided! phew) and fumbling around, I managed to get it up and running with the seller's patient assistance through email.
I read that the BCL sounds best at the highest gain setting, so I'm using that with W1000X. The headamp is basically noise-free for my listening and pretty transparent in my opinion. I'm actually sad that my source (Musiland Monitor 02 USD) is not that fabulous. Regardless, soundstage and bass are noticeably much better.
It really brought a old CD player that I dug up back to life though. And here it is, the full package with the top removed:
I noticed that there isn't a clear image of the opamp used in the output stage so...
It's a BBOPA 2134UA. Burr Brown?
Anyways, it was a great first experience with DIY. Seller provided basically everything to complete the amp. Very good workmanship, parts and service for the price point, in my newbie opinion.
- The "Lovely Cube" Headphone Amp (Lehmann Black Cube Linear Clone)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384... 30 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 38 seconds ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 52 seconds ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 2 minutes ago
- › 2016 CanJam @ RMAF, October 7-9, 2016: The Exhibitor List! 2 minutes ago
- › Introducing the new Continental V5 portable tube amp 3 minutes ago
- › ZMF Omni - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship 4 minutes ago
- › Hidizs AP60 4 minutes ago
- › EarSonics Velvet universal custom in ear monitor with three sound... 8 minutes ago
- › ZMF Omni Bocote Wood Headphone in excellent/mint condition with extras 8 minutes ago
- › Philips SHP9500 by reikoshea
- › Fostex T50RP MK3 Professional Studio Headphones, Semi-Open by reikoshea
- › Super Dolphin 6BA by RedJohn456
- › HE-5LE by audiophilehe400
- › Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer by artofmanliness
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by reikoshea
- › Hifime Sabre 9018 USB DAC by Rish732
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Rish732
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by chef8489
- › Over Ear Headphones，Mixcder ShareMe Pro Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo HiFi... by B9Scrambler
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...