I might fit this baby inside a Hifi2000 Slim case, probably going to look sleek.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Has anyone listened to the PS1000's with a Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear? Last post on 2/12/11 at 4:44pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 6/18/15 at 8:36am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Matrix M-Stage Observations Last post on 9/9/10 at 6:53am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Matrix m-stage Last post on 10/14/10 at 8:00am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Beware!!! I purchased the Matrix-M Stage a month and a half ago, now the soundstage is gone Last post on 9/1/10 at 7:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
***This is a tl;dr: review. please refer to other reviews for a more in-depth analysis on their amazing sound.*** For $100, you simply won't be getting anything better sound-wise than these cans,...
I own 3 High-end headphones ( HD 600, HD-650s, and HE 500s) and this amplifier does everything I want it to do. The headphones have been driven with authority, speed and transparency. The sound is...
Disclaimer: I would like to thank www.hifinage.com and Fidue for this review sample.I was supposed to keep it...
I received by LG for review purposes. Here are my thoughts are 6 weeks. Aesthetics. The unique ‘on-neck horse-shoe’ design is inconspicuous sits neatly and discreetly around the neck line....
Signature Acoustics C-12: The Elemental Underdog Woodies Company Background Audiophiles love music, especially when played from high quality audio products that contain several different...
- Headphone Impedance
The "Lovely Cube" Headphone Amp (Lehmann Black Cube Linear Clone) - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
No, but I believe that comes with the case which I did not order. The board itself came with a pair of really nice quality RCA jacks.
That thing is called and "IEC power jack", this particular one has a fuse and a power button built in. You can order them online or just rip them out of some old piece of electronics equipment.
New pictures, I've decided the case I was using was too big and heavy. re-cased it in a $5 project box from Radio Shack. Now I have shorter cable runs with silver teflon cables.
The brass knob is from Head Fi'er Vilts.
Edited by francisdemarte - 7/11/10 at 6:34am
Stumbled on more technical info for the Lovely Cube.
The Kit Parts List :
|Parts||Parts no. on PCB (not on Schematic)||Qty|
|10R 1W||R110、111、210、211 (Panasonic / Taiwan Resistor) * note 1||10|
|47R 1W||R309、310、315、316 (R309 & 310 : 3W OHMITE -USA / DRALORIC) * note 1||10|
|250V/1.5u||C101、201 (Simens) * note 1||2|
|63V/0.022||C102、202、315、316 (SPRAGUE 223 / ERO 223) * note 1||4|
|250V/0.1u||C301-304 (BC / ERO) * note 1||4|
|63V/0.15u/154||C307-312 (Simens / ERO) * note 1||6|
|63V/100P||C317、318 (Philips Tin Foil) * note 1||2|
|35V/470uf||C103、104、203、204、313、314 (Philips BC / ELNA RE3 25V) * note 1||6|
|50V/4700uf||C305、306 (ELNA) * note 1||2|
|* note 1 : Brand /Model depends on stock availability , or same grade|
|Transistor / Diode|
|LED||L303 (Blue) 3mm||1|
|IC / OPAMP|
|OPA2134UA||SOIC to DIP8||1|
|2 Way dB Switch/Selector||SW101、201||2|
|Fuse (PPTC) 72V 0.9A||F201、202||2|
|Heat Sink TO-220||Large for Rectifier /Small for BD139/140||6|
|TO-220 Silica Set||Sheet+Plastic Ring+Screw||6|
|6.35mm Headphone Jack||NEUTRIK||2|
|5.0mm Connection Block 3PIN||for AC Input||1|
|VR 50K*2||ALPS-27 (Half Round Shaft)||1|
|RCA Socket||One Red, One Black||2|
|Transformer ( Optional)||Input : 220V (Red - Red) Output : 2x15V 30VA (Blue - Blue , Black - Black)||Optional|
francisdemarte: Have you direct-coupled the inputs yet (removed caps)? Also do you think you will replace the diodes D301-D304 with HEXFREDs or other soft-recovery diodes?
Nope haven't done it yet. I'm leaving for vacation and my wedding Thursday and I'll get to it when I get back.
I've always been dissuaded from using high speed soft recovery diodes/FREDs/Schottkys as I've been told they make very little to no audible difference over a traditional one. Do you have any experiences to the contrary?
The next major mod I think I'll make is to replace the RK27 with a DACT or the Twisted Pear Joshua Tree attenuator and a nicer wood case :) over the $7 Rat Shack one I'm using now.
After much consideration, I've finally placed an order over the weekend.
I have no DIY experience at all so I'm hoping it wouldn't be too tough.
Should I be looking for RCA jacks, some jumpers (if so, what types?) and a power cord now?
I got the whole package with a nice-looking Talema transformer by the way.
Alright. I'll make a thread if I do need more help with the DIY.
I'm getting fidgety already (it's still not here!) and had forgotten that it's supposed to come with the jacks. While waiting, I did realise that the old iron is busted, the only solder I could find at home is too thick and a lot of equipment that I thought I had are missing. Going to have to do more shopping.
Hmm, I'll be sure to post pics alright. Heh. What with nobody else doing so. We need more pics and feedback!
And oh, congratulations on your wedding Francis!
They send by regular post so it took a week and a half for mine to arrive and clear US customs.
* basic soldering iron and if you feel like it accessories like a stand and a sponge (I like Weller)
* Electrical grade solder
* Flux (I like the paste type that comes in a tube or jar, and a toothpick to spread it)
* 22-26 gauge wires of your choice
* A nice pair of wire strippers that can handle small 22-26 gauge wire
* small screwdrivers
* heat shrink tubing (They provide a couple of pieces in your order but its nice to have extra of various sizes)
* lighter to small torch for the heat shrink tubes
Not necessary for this project but nice to have is a digital multimeter if you want to do more DIY projects in the future.
Tanget has some nice video tutorials on soldering: http://www.tangentsoft.com/elec/movies/
PS: Thanks for the wedding wishes :) I take off for Costa Rica tomorrow!
PPS: Really nice to see all the Audio Technica woodie fans.
Stephen, the seller, says it should take 4-6 days to reach me (Singapore) after he mails it later today.
Thanks for the comprehensive list! Do you think I should get wires too while I'm at it? How about a "3rd helping hand"? I came across tangent's site after following a link on the STEPS regulator here and I've been glued to it ever since (the "luxury" of unemployment). Great material and I'm already thinking of assembling the YJPS out of curiousity. haha
Have a great wedding and come back to enjoy your AT woodies soon!
Okay. It arrived on Monday. Very nicely packaged and bubble wrapped.
After practising my soldering first, blowing a fuse (a spare one was provided! phew) and fumbling around, I managed to get it up and running with the seller's patient assistance through email.
I read that the BCL sounds best at the highest gain setting, so I'm using that with W1000X. The headamp is basically noise-free for my listening and pretty transparent in my opinion. I'm actually sad that my source (Musiland Monitor 02 USD) is not that fabulous. Regardless, soundstage and bass are noticeably much better.
It really brought a old CD player that I dug up back to life though. And here it is, the full package with the top removed:
I noticed that there isn't a clear image of the opamp used in the output stage so...
It's a BBOPA 2134UA. Burr Brown?
Anyways, it was a great first experience with DIY. Seller provided basically everything to complete the amp. Very good workmanship, parts and service for the price point, in my newbie opinion.
- The "Lovely Cube" Headphone Amp (Lehmann Black Cube Linear Clone)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2 8 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser PX-100 II alternatives? I need something more airy 4 minutes ago
- › Custom Art's First Foray into Acrylic CIEMs: Ei.3 4 minutes ago
- › Apple Music... Seriously? 6 minutes ago
- › [TOUR] Cayin N6 - DAP Australian / New Zealand Tour Impressions 6 minutes ago
- › Bedroom Audio 8 minutes ago
- › cables are placebo 9 minutes ago
- › Project Ember Tube Rolling 10 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Which Headphones Should I Buy? 12 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by AvidlyEclectic
- › Schiit Asgard 2 by GustavoL1
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by vaibhavp
- › LG Electronics TONE INFINIM Bluetooth Stereo Headset - Retail... by lwbanerjee
- › Signature Acoustics Elements Series C-12 by vlenbo
- › Soundmagic E80 in-ear monitor headphone by twister6
- › Puro Sound Labs - IEM500 Earphones by BloodyPenguin
- › Matrix M-Stage by YoYo JoKeR
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by Dokins
- › Fidue A65 - Titanium micro dynamic driver IEM by DJScope
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)