Has anyone heard the Musical Fidelity M1 HPA. How does it sound. How do you think it will sound with a pair of Denon Ah-D5000
Related Forum Threads
- Musical Fidelity M1 HPA? Good enough for Sennheiser HD 650? Last post on 11/28/11 at 5:48pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Musical Fidelity M1HPA + AKG K701...good combo? Last post on 12/27/10 at 4:52pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Anyone planning on getting the Musical Fidelity M1 Last post on 7/19/10 at 8:52pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Musical Fidelity M1 HPA and Audeze LCD2s Last post on 9/11/12 at 9:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone amp upgrade for HD 650 and Xonar Essence STX Last post on 6/12/12 at 4:30pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Intro This was my first real pair of headphones, and they satisfied me for two years. So it is only fitting that my first headphone review be on these awesome headphones. The HD598s are a great...
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
This is a review of the Noble 8c, an eight drivers 4 ways ciems. You could check the specs on the noble web site. Please be kind in your critics, as this is my first review ever, and that English...
Porta Pros simply made the biggest difference for me when listening to music as I have switched from some low-end sony in-ear to them and suddenly when playing the same song music became more rich...
From the moment Charles told me about the new project that he was working on, “Project Palaios”, I was intrigued. A wooden amp? That’s certainly not what you hear everyday and from the pictures...
- Headphone Impedance
Impressions on the Musical Fidelity M1 HPA
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
1. It's not out yet
2. You started two threads asking the exact same question
3. You do not need to continue bumping either thread, nobody has the amp yet, we'll let you know as soon as it's actually released.
I just got my Denon AH-A100 and Musical Fidelity M1 HPA today. I have started the burn in process and will let that take place for at least 100 hours. I will post my impressions of this combo along with how my previous headphones, AKG 340 and Audio Technica M50s fare.
Pictures are posted in my album. I am new to posting on Head-fi so please forgive if I am doing this incorrectly.:-)
My initial check was to asses the drive capability of M1 with the 340s. I was pleasantly surprised that there was enough volume at around 12 o' clock with the USB input. More impressions to come in a few days.
Just some two-cents-worth from a recent audition...
I took along my harman/kardon HD990 cdp and Grado SR60i to try the Musical Fidelity line of headphone amps - v-can, x-can v8p (tube output stage) and M1 HPA (solid state, pure class-A). My plan is to keep the HD990 (mostly running a squeezebox receiver through it's DAC, which is very capable) and step up the Grados to SR325si.
v-can - brash...very brash. Forward presentation, but more fatiguing than exciting. It boosted the output beyond, say, my 1g ipod touch, but high volume isn't my aim. I was after the smooth drive of my all-valve integrated amp (to loudspeakers), but with more purpose when playing the rock and metal I listen to, which isn't my valve-amp's strong point. This was not it, and I took the earphones off to the feeling of a mild headache.
x-can v8 - a clear step up, and was not grating like the v-can. That said, I was expecting a big jump in warmth and a medium jump in detail, and I was underwhelmed - it was good, and I wouldn't put anyone off buying one at the right price, but it didn't give me consistent enjoyment across my well-worn reference cd (blues>death metal>classical>indie>folk>orchestral). Good... but not great.
M1 HPA - No doubt in my mind - the M1 is on a totally different level. Having already spent 90 minutes listening to the same tracks at the point I picked up with the M1, it instantly sounded like a new CD. Baring in mind this was only with SR60i, the detail at the top end was superb, but not harshly presented, the bass was as tight as a tiger, and everything in between had epic smoothness and drive - velvety when required, relentless when called upon.
Needless to say, I see this amp being part of my rig in the very near future. Interesting to hear anyone else's view!
Apologies for resurrecting this thread.
Any word on the technicalities of the USB DAC section?
What is the overall signature like and would it pair well with Senn. HD600 for orchestral, symphonic-rock and J-pop? More interested in the soundstage and attack/decay transients of the middle and upper registers.
Any word on the technicalities of the USB DAC section?
Good question, I was also looking at this amp to combine with a HD800 / T1 /HE-6 or so.
Although you can't find much technical info on the DAC at the MF website, I managed to find text below.
Onboard 16-bit, 48 kHz DAC
The USB input uses a circuit that's similar to what's onboard the M6i and M6PRE. It accepts CD-resolution data (up to 16-bit, 48 kHz) and is processed by an onboard 16-bit DAC that runs at 8x oversampling. It sounds quite good and is only bettered by a much more sophisticated outboard DAC, such as Musical Fidelity's V-DAC and the company's higher priced DACs.
The high quality USB input is fully compliant with USB 1.1 with full-speed transceivers. The accurate 12-MHz clock source insures low jitter. The 16 bit Delta-Sigma stereo DAC has very low distortion and excellent signal to noise ratio.
According to Musical Fidelity's Antony Michaelson, "We believe that neutrality and complete faithfulness to the original recording is what hi-fi exists for. If you agree with that ideal, then the M1-HPA is for you."
Kewl! That means to say, as expected, the DAC would be rather nerfed against the full-scale monster DAC that they have then (makes perfect business sense).
But that means that for the average consumer like us, it'll be mighty expensive to pick this box up as we would still need a fairly decent source and interconnects to go along with it.
I downloaded Beethoven's Symphony No.9 from HDtracks as 96khz/24bit flac. Streaming USB from mediamonkey and it plays beautifully. I'm making the assumption that the DAC doesn't down-sample, but of course it would still have to read 96/24 to be able to down-sample it :)
Edited by theSC00BZ - 12/12/10 at 1:29pm
Took a naked picture of my M1 HPA today.
I'm not a expert in components but hopefully someone can comment on whats inside.
- Impressions on the Musical Fidelity M1 HPA
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Official 2014 LA/SoCal Regional Head-Fi Meet, March 22, 2014,... 23 seconds ago
- › JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation +... 40 seconds ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 49 seconds ago
- › Speaker amps for headphones 1 minute ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 1 minute ago
- › Gaming with a USB DAC and mic 2 minutes ago
- › Critique this headphone amp design? 2 minutes ago
- › Meier Audio Classic 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 3 minutes ago
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by davisman
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe