Humble college professor ehh?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 6/11/10
Related Forum Threads
- LCD-XC vs HiFiMan He-6 Last post on 8/11/15 at 4:48pm in High-end Audio Forum
- HiFiMAN Focus Pads durability concerns Last post on 12/31/15 at 5:14am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- 2nd pair of cans Last post on 1/7/15 at 9:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- HiFiMan he-560 vs he-6 size Last post on 11/18/14 at 8:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Destroyed my HE-400, what to get now? Last post on 10/24/14 at 1:35am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
Being a tester and owner of many digital portable players , I had to participate to the head-fi review tour for Soundaware, especially since all the players of the brand have interested me for...
Unboxing and Packaging The ShareMe 5 arrived in a box that looks similar to the ShareMe Pro, but thicker. The packing inside is slightly nicer looking. The plastic container holding the...
This is my review originally posted on http://www.earphonia.com/2016/10/24/ibasso-it03-review/ I was honoured to be approached by iBasso with their first venture into IEM territory and they...
This is my review originally posted on http://www.earphonia.com/2016/10/24/jomo-samba-pro-audio-ciem-review/ Jomo Audio is a Singapore local company that crafts in ear earphones that sound and...
Elephone Whisper Noise Cancelling Earphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to GearBest for the sample. Full review...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 42
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Me depressor of how you say umm..."grease monkey".
Me wish me smart like dem.
In all seriousness, She is a professor in modern music. I admire here capacity to understand modern music at an academic and cultural level.
Edited by SP Wild - 11/5/10 at 6:14am
Nope, no lottery winnings or anything exciting like that. I'm a humble college professor, but most of the funds I dedicate toward my hobby come from being a freelance translator on the side. As a result, there are periods (like now) when I can budget a fair amount toward it and other periods when I cannot.
Also, it helps being the sister (or brother) of another audiophile. My bro and I like to trade gear all the time, and sometimes we'll go half-and-half on certain things that interest us both. For instance, I was talking to him just the other night about splitting the cost of that upcoming Luxman DAC. Probably wont happen until next year though.
Nice. Wish my brother had gear for me to burrow!
Like a rabbit or groundhog, you want to store your audio gear deeply in the ground?
I learned in boy scouts that was a good way to keep food fresh, just as long as you used lots of tin foil and baggies.
HE-6 IMPRESSIONS IN THE HOUSE!
These things are freaking awesome sounding! I can't stop listening tonight.
My WA6 can now drive these to acceptable levels, while the prototype sounded way too soft at max volume. I'm listening to them with the volume at 2-3 o'clock, and while max volume with it isn't blasting or rocking it's louder than I want to listen right now in the middle of the night. I still prefer them more out of my SAC amp or EF5 amp as they still like a lot of power, but a speaker amp isn't mandatory now and a WA6 isn't out of the question anymore. I'm listening in my bedroom rig, and will try them on my ZDT in the basement rig later. My RSA Protector balanced portable is still underpowered with them, but I can now get normal listening volumes just before clipping occurs - previously it was a joke trying the prototype with any kind of portable. I have not tried any other portable amps, while my Protector is my most powerful one and the only one good with the HE-5 LE. The HE-5 LE are still more efficient than HE-6, and the HD800/HF-2/LCD-2/LA7000 even more so.
I'll give them my mandatory burn-in, and report back on the sound in a review, with a sneak peek now. So far out of the box they are very fast with good micro-detail, air ambience and space, with deep bass extension to 20Hz and up to the 16Khz limit of my 48 year old ears. They are fantastic with low volume late night listening, and I don't need to crank them up to hear the bass. Plus, timbre and tone are spot on and very transparent with pianos, unlike my LCD-2 which have pianos resonate in my ears. They're like listening to my high end custom IEM but with a full size phone soundstage. The soundstage is not as big as my HD800 but it's not small at all, and at least as big as my HD600 which are a little more intimate than my HD800 (some say the HD800 are too expansive, and artificially inflated, but I like it). I still greatly enjoy my re-cabled HD800, and I'm not willing to rank the two right now (too early). I need to spend some time playing with them, seeing how well they convey the big picture of the musical performances.
They now have memory foam inside the headband where it contacts your head, and with the softer leather they are more comfortable resting on the head. They're still going to feel big to people with small heads, same as the HE-5/5 LE, but at the smallest setting the fit is fine for me. My main issue with them is that like my old Edition 9 headphones they are fingerprint magnets. If you hold and adjust them by the arc and forks you can avoid getting fingerprints on them, but I found it was easier to just get them smudged right off the bat and not worry about it.
Congrats to the new can, and congrats to HiFiman for making a great planar magnetic headphone
At what o'clock you need to use the HE6 with ZDT?
Will ZDT drive the prototype adequately? I have one ZDT with silver reference transformer.
If it's OK I may ask Mr Fang to sell the prototype, do you think it is worth the purchase If I already have the HE6
(shipped today) because in the HE6 loaner program some members prefer the sound of the prototype.
Thanks for your impressions, Larry!
I just got a shipping notice from Head-Direct that mine have been shipped. Hopefully I'll be listening to them by next week, where my first order of business will be comparing them to the LCD-2.
- HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
- › A little about the Shozy Alien 18 seconds ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 39 seconds ago
- › Official X7 beta firmware (Android 5.1) download and discussion... 1 minute ago
- › Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › 2017 UK Head-Fi Meet (April 2nd @ Milton Keynes) 4 minutes ago
- › New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation 4 minutes ago
- › The Fiio A5 thread: an upgrade of E12A, MUSES02+LME49600, 800mW,... 5 minutes ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 5 minutes ago
- › VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Soundaware Esther by Fabaaroan
- › Over Ear Headphone Shareme 4.1 Bluetooth Foldable Headsets with... by pkshiu
- › iBasso IT03 by sonickarma
- › Jomo Audio Samba Pro CIEM by sonickarma
- › Elephone Whisper by mark2410
- › OPPO PM-1 by maxh22
- › iBasso Audio DX80 High Resolution Audio Player by rebbi
- › 1MORE Capsule Dual Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone... by B9Scrambler
- › RHA MA750i by High-End-Addict
- › Hidizs AP60 HiFi Mini Bluetooth Lossless MP3 Portable Music Player... by HiFiChris
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...