Humble college professor ehh?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 6/11/10
Related Forum Threads
- Hifiman HE-6 + aftermarket cables (priced to move) Last post on 9/10/14 at 11:08pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- MATCHING HEADPHONES, CABLES AND AMPLIFIERS: HARDER THAN IT SHOULD BE (Part 1 of 2) Last post on 8/9/14 at 5:49pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Why would those with HE-6 prefer speaker amps? Last post on 9/16/14 at 12:28pm in Sound Science
- FS: BNIB Hifiman HE-6 HE6 - free worldwide shipping and paypal fees Last post on 6/30/14 at 10:22pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Synergy between first-party amps & headphones Last post on 6/9/14 at 12:46pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
I just received this device, along with a FiIO X5 to replace my now discontinued iPod classic. At first I liked this device - smaller, lighter than the FiIO, although only 1 slot. Shipped...
i just bought an Asus Vulcan pro gaming headset on a whim and I've gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised so I thought id share my experience. Now let me qualify this, I'm not saying they have the same...
Warm sound, good mid, great price Easy to drive compare with other studio headphone, there is shouldn't be too much complaint consider this headphone now only retail about $70 and sound really...
So the Pan Am from ALO Audio. This little guy is pretty dang impressive. An excellently-built, functioning desktop solution that is pretty easy on the eyes too! For the record, I've got the whole...
REVIEW: Brainwavz S5 Specifications: (from Brainwavz site) Driver: 10mm Dynamic Rated Impedance: 16 Ω Frequency Range: 18Hz - 24kHz Sensitivity: 110 dB @ 1 mW Cable: 1.3m,...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 42
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Me depressor of how you say umm..."grease monkey".
Me wish me smart like dem.
In all seriousness, She is a professor in modern music. I admire here capacity to understand modern music at an academic and cultural level.
Edited by SP Wild - 11/5/10 at 6:14am
Nope, no lottery winnings or anything exciting like that. I'm a humble college professor, but most of the funds I dedicate toward my hobby come from being a freelance translator on the side. As a result, there are periods (like now) when I can budget a fair amount toward it and other periods when I cannot.
Also, it helps being the sister (or brother) of another audiophile. My bro and I like to trade gear all the time, and sometimes we'll go half-and-half on certain things that interest us both. For instance, I was talking to him just the other night about splitting the cost of that upcoming Luxman DAC. Probably wont happen until next year though.
Nice. Wish my brother had gear for me to burrow!
Like a rabbit or groundhog, you want to store your audio gear deeply in the ground?
I learned in boy scouts that was a good way to keep food fresh, just as long as you used lots of tin foil and baggies.
HE-6 IMPRESSIONS IN THE HOUSE!
These things are freaking awesome sounding! I can't stop listening tonight.
My WA6 can now drive these to acceptable levels, while the prototype sounded way too soft at max volume. I'm listening to them with the volume at 2-3 o'clock, and while max volume with it isn't blasting or rocking it's louder than I want to listen right now in the middle of the night. I still prefer them more out of my SAC amp or EF5 amp as they still like a lot of power, but a speaker amp isn't mandatory now and a WA6 isn't out of the question anymore. I'm listening in my bedroom rig, and will try them on my ZDT in the basement rig later. My RSA Protector balanced portable is still underpowered with them, but I can now get normal listening volumes just before clipping occurs - previously it was a joke trying the prototype with any kind of portable. I have not tried any other portable amps, while my Protector is my most powerful one and the only one good with the HE-5 LE. The HE-5 LE are still more efficient than HE-6, and the HD800/HF-2/LCD-2/LA7000 even more so.
I'll give them my mandatory burn-in, and report back on the sound in a review, with a sneak peek now. So far out of the box they are very fast with good micro-detail, air ambience and space, with deep bass extension to 20Hz and up to the 16Khz limit of my 48 year old ears. They are fantastic with low volume late night listening, and I don't need to crank them up to hear the bass. Plus, timbre and tone are spot on and very transparent with pianos, unlike my LCD-2 which have pianos resonate in my ears. They're like listening to my high end custom IEM but with a full size phone soundstage. The soundstage is not as big as my HD800 but it's not small at all, and at least as big as my HD600 which are a little more intimate than my HD800 (some say the HD800 are too expansive, and artificially inflated, but I like it). I still greatly enjoy my re-cabled HD800, and I'm not willing to rank the two right now (too early). I need to spend some time playing with them, seeing how well they convey the big picture of the musical performances.
They now have memory foam inside the headband where it contacts your head, and with the softer leather they are more comfortable resting on the head. They're still going to feel big to people with small heads, same as the HE-5/5 LE, but at the smallest setting the fit is fine for me. My main issue with them is that like my old Edition 9 headphones they are fingerprint magnets. If you hold and adjust them by the arc and forks you can avoid getting fingerprints on them, but I found it was easier to just get them smudged right off the bat and not worry about it.
Congrats to the new can, and congrats to HiFiman for making a great planar magnetic headphone
At what o'clock you need to use the HE6 with ZDT?
Will ZDT drive the prototype adequately? I have one ZDT with silver reference transformer.
If it's OK I may ask Mr Fang to sell the prototype, do you think it is worth the purchase If I already have the HE6
(shipped today) because in the HE6 loaner program some members prefer the sound of the prototype.
Thanks for your impressions, Larry!
I just got a shipping notice from Head-Direct that mine have been shipped. Hopefully I'll be listening to them by next week, where my first order of business will be comparing them to the LCD-2.
- HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Recommend Speakers for my room? 15 seconds ago
- › worst date stories 44 seconds ago
- › Looking to buy a new pair of XEARS IEMs... 1 minute ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Minneapolis Meet 9/20/14 1 minute ago
- › WTB: Audio-GD Stereo Amps 2 minutes ago
- › Old Audioengine A5 massive pops, crackle 3 minutes ago
- › Best IEM for Trance -2014 edition -Now keeping track in the OP! 3 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 3 minutes ago
- › VSONIC GR07 Classic Color 2014 Edition: Unboxing and first impressions 4 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by RickFrank
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by lumberjake
- › Schiit Audio Ragnarok by goldendarko
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)