Related Forum Threads
- headphone upgrade help! Last post on 8/24/11 at 10:25am in Headphones (full-size)
- Old headphones with new stereo receiver. ***UPDATED*** Last post on 7/22/11 at 11:00pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone hating Last post on 9/30/11 at 11:15am in Headphones (full-size)
- The beautiful AKG. No review just *** lots of pictures *** Last post on 4/5/13 at 5:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- My Ety's ruined my AD700s :O Last post on 5/7/11 at 11:06am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I am one of the lucky ones to get a chance to be reviewer in the HE-400i "tour". HiFiMAN has intrigued me since the start of my Head-Fi journey. The HE-400 was the first headphone I purchased...
Note: Much of this comes from a review I wrote and posted elsewhere a month or so ago, but with some editing and organizational tweaks. I have wanted to do a full Alpha Dog review for a while,...
I have owned this headphone for 2 years and it never disappointed me. The sound quality is no need to discuss as its sound signature has been discussed multiple times in TH900 thread. This...
Excelllent headphones, coming after ss 9h headset, senn's 429 558 598 and i love these most, i differentiate details better in vocals now, i can say if vocalist is blowing into microphone while...
published on September 22, 2014 (click any photo in this review for a larger version) Intro I first heard about Garage1217's Project Polaris (just "Polaris" from here on out, for the...
Balanced K702 - how does SAA do it? - Page 4
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 513/14/10 at 10:26pm
If you look properly, there are arrows indicating what the ground, and left+/- and right +/- are attached to.
The ground is attached to the shield, and the left-/right- signals are not joined.
The arrows are actually pointing away from the ground wires.
This would do the same as joining the left+/right+.
The fact is that you need four channels for a balanced headphone.
If it is connected by 3 wires to the cable, it is not balanced.post #48 of 513/14/10 at 10:28pmHeadroom diagram is spot-on. It's obvious you need two wires per channel. It's not possible to have "balanced" headphones with only three wires, not you can connect together any of those 4 wires (and neither you can involve ground with any of them). To do so will at least make the amp not work correctly and at worst damage it permanently.post #49 of 513/14/10 at 10:37pmpost #50 of 517/29/10 at 3:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by WirBrauchenBass
i've recently started looking into balancing headphones and though i don't actually plan on buying anything anytime soon, this has come to my attention:
stefan audio art offers a detachable balanced replacement cable for the AKG K702 that simply plugs in the original mini-xlr connector. no soldering, no dual-entry - I like that (maybe apart from the price...).
however, as far as my limited understanding of the technical aspects goes, that shouldn't turn them into a balanced headphone, as both drivers still use the same common ground - or am i missing something here?Quote:Quote:
If you truly understood what a "balanced" headphone was, you'd know that the bu****it started way before we got to the headphone cable.post #51 of 515/25/13 at 8:46pm
- Balanced K702 - how does SAA do it?
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
Currently, there are 2916 Active Users (575 Members and 2341 Guests)
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 2 minutes ago
- › Oh Schiit, it's the end of the world! Announcing Ragnarok. 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz) 4 minutes ago
- › Asus Xonar U7 DAC/AMP Appreciation & Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Lossless vs 128kbps mp3 vs 320kbps mp3 blind test 4 minutes ago
- › Shure SE 425 5 minutes ago
- › 6SN7 Tube Addicts 5 minutes ago
- › What's Your Alcoholic Drink of Choice? // Drink Discussion 5 minutes ago
- › AKG K 550 by QBoQBo
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by smellyfungus
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by hans030390
- › Fostex TH 900 by archeryc
- › Garage1217 Project Polaris by Asr
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by dbdchc
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by razor5cl
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)