Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Good quality DAC/amp for HD600 Last post on 8/15/12 at 6:42am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- **Nuforce Icon hdp or Matrix M Stage USB 2012* Last post on 5/31/12 at 10:06am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp for T70p - Price = 2-400 USD Last post on 12/4/11 at 1:59pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- DAC/amp to drive K701 suggestions Last post on 8/17/11 at 2:13am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)
Edited on 12/28/12
- Comparing headphones: Sennheiser's HD 800, HD 600, HD 25-1 and...Edited on 5/27/12
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesEdited on 8/16/12
- Diy Beginners GuideEdited on 11/14/12
- Hi End CablesEdited on 1/8/12
Related Head Gear
Fanmusic is a distributor and a brand of Chinese audio-equipment which also has an eBay store. I was contacted by Tony, their manager a while ago and he informed me that they were working...
Very nice amp for mid-fiers to entry high-fiers. The sound quality and specs are very good for the price. Works very well with Jazz and Classical music in particular (not that rock and...
My pair was a supposed demo model from one of Hifiman's retailers. They came in mint condition, which is lucky for me. I'm not using a balanced cable yet, but I already feel it's a good upgrade...
The JVC HA M750's were my first "real" pair of headphones. Previously, I had just used iPod headphones and cheap 10 dollar headphones from my local grocery store. As such, I was very impressed by...
Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent. - Page 236post #3526 of 39831/19/13 at 3:21pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3527 of 39831/19/13 at 11:40pmQuote:
I don't know though if the amp gets hotter with LM4562.post #3528 of 39831/20/13 at 1:40amQuote:Originally Posted by jc89
about the unbalance... it's completely due to my noobiness and carelessness...
I didn't realize that the two sets of gain controls are controlling left and right channels separately... I thought they are for input 1 and input 2 separately.
I'm confused by this design though... Why would anyone want to have different volumes coming out from left and right sides?
Are there any technical reason for this design?
Thanks!Quote:Quote:Originally Posted by Chris J
Nobody wants two different volumes from left and right!
They would have to use a more expensive switch than the little switches you see on the bottom of the M Stage.
So you could say it keeps the costs down.
Most people set gain to 10 dB with Q701 and leave it there.....forever.
I just compared 5 different phone pre-amps, they all have that funny feature: separate switches for left and right.
It's even worse, because you can adjust:
but all switches are separate for left and right!
But once you set the switches the way you want them, you never change them unless you change to another phono cartridge.
Seems to be mark of passage for M Stage owners, they all need to mix up gain settings.
As far as headphones go, it's mostly for people with differing levels of hearing between their ears. For example, I'd say I have maybe 85% hearing with my left ear compared to my right. All I have to do is adjust the balance a bit towards the left speaker and voila my hearing is magically fixedpost #3529 of 39831/20/13 at 1:47amQuote:And in my case the two volume knobs are to correct possible inbalance of the tubes alsoOriginally Posted by Wild
As far as headphones go, it's mostly for people with differing levels of hearing between their ears. For example, I'd say I have maybe 85% hearing with my left ear compared to my right. All I have to do is adjust the balance a bit towards the left speaker and voila my hearing is magically fixedpost #3530 of 39831/20/13 at 8:00amQuote:
At 18 or 20 dB of gain they should sound identical.
The difference between the two is academic when used for audio.
So why use the OPA637?
Be safe, use the OPA627.
The amp won't get any hotter if you use the LM4562, or stock Op Amp, or OPA627, or Class A mod OPA627.
The amp will probably get hotter if you have an oscillating OPA637!post #3531 of 39831/20/13 at 11:59amQuote:
I find the oscillating gives a neat surround sound effect to the soundstage.post #3532 of 39831/20/13 at 12:03pmQuote:
That effect is nice actually. Specially with my beyer 990. :Dpost #3533 of 39831/20/13 at 12:03pmpost #3534 of 39831/20/13 at 1:16pmpost #3535 of 39831/20/13 at 4:35pm
Something's wrong with my mstage. I was sitting here and I started to smell something burning and started to sniff around. No smoke coming out but an obvious burning smell coming out of my amp. I opened it up and the burnt smell is stronger but I dont' know which part of the board. Everything looks fine to me.post #3536 of 39831/20/13 at 7:09pmpost #3537 of 39831/20/13 at 7:10pmQuote:Originally Posted by burrrcub
Something's wrong with my mstage. I was sitting here and I started to smell something burning and started to sniff around. No smoke coming out but an obvious burning smell coming out of my amp. I opened it up and the burnt smell is stronger but I dont' know which part of the board. Everything looks fine to me.
never a good thing, is it still under warranty?
what happened before the burning smell?post #3538 of 39831/20/13 at 7:53pmQuote:
Doubt I can get warranty since I bought it from another headfier. Nothign happened before it started burning, it was on for a few hours looking pretty on my desk.post #3539 of 39831/20/13 at 8:24pm
- Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Comparing headphones: Sennheiser's HD 800, HD 600, HD 25-1 and...
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › AKG K712 PRO Announced 1 minute ago
- › Show us your vintage headphones! 1 minute ago
- › DX50 a new smaller DAP coming from iBasso. . .Specifications page... 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread 1 minute ago
- › The diary entries of a little girl who is now 30! ~ Part 2 2 minutes ago
- › FS Grado Headphones RS-1 and HF-1 3 minutes ago
- › Surprise TDK MT-300: $4.97 of AWESOME... 4 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Jant71's take on the new ATH-CLR100 Pg... 4 minutes ago
- › Monoprice 8320 IEM by Taharqa
- › Fanmusic MS-E1011 by ItsMeHere
- › Audio-gd NFB-5 by citadel
- › HE-5LE by JamesHuntington
- › Kozee Sound Solutions Infinity X2 by Insight Reviews
- › JVC HA M750 by tinamou62
- › Aurisonics ASG-2 by eke2k6
- › Sennheiser HD-558 by Tr1ckster
- › Go-Dap DD Socket1 (DD/DA Converter) for iPhone & iPod... by AnakChan
- › Philips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptown by Marleybob217
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe