- 1,681 Posts. Joined 8/2007
- Location: Manila, Philippines
- Select All Posts By This User
- productDarkvoice 336itagged by System, 8/27/12
- productFiiO E5 Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 8/27/12
- brandGradotagged by System, 9/15/10
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by System, 9/15/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 9/15/10
- productLittle Dot MK IIItagged by System, 8/27/12
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 9/15/10
- productTravagan's White Headphone Amplifier & USB DACtagged by System, 8/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- Portable amp to run Grado SR80i's Last post on 1/28/11 at 4:45pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Amp required or Not. . . . . . Last post on 6/11/12 at 11:07am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- FiiO E11>E7>E6>E5? Last post on 12/28/11 at 11:01pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- FiiO e11 Last post on 12/30/11 at 10:57am in Portable Headphone Amps
- E9 Upgrade? Last post on 10/3/11 at 4:49pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/21/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I got the same kind but of course in purple Philips SHE3590PP/28 In-Ear Headphones (Purple) - there is basically no based and I had to turn the volume way up to hear sound that didn't sound cheap.
Soundaware M1 Pro / “Esther” – initial impressions I had the opportunity to listen to the Soundaware M1 Pro as part of the recent UK and North American tours that the company have...
Bought these after receiving the Massdrop HE-350s which were just too treble-forward for my taste. I listen to a lot of music when at work. Desk space is limited, so I can't justify running an...
When i first got the Cayin iHA-6 and iDAC-6 combo and paired it with my HD800S, i wasn't too thrilled. Compared to my previous HDVD800, there was more detail present from the dac, but it came with...
For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION I can remember when I first joined Head-Fi, I started with some pretty cheap gear, and I...
Portable amp for Grado SR80i - Page 2post #16 of 2612/7/09 at 9:08amFor another cheap alternative, the Mini3 is a good option. It had great synergy with the Grado SR80 which I owned in the past (more/tighter bass, a smidge more detail).
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 2612/7/09 at 5:44pmI bought a PA2V2 a couple years back, to go with my SR-80. At first it didn't seem to really do much, but I realize now that is because I was using a crappy MP3 player with it.
Recently I pulled it out of my desk and hooked it up to a newer Sony Walkman MP3 player, and the difference in sound is absolutely noticeable (to me anyway!). I am very happy with it--the songs have more "oomph!"
Don't know if this helps, but thought I'd share. (I got the PA2V2 for $60 including shipping.)post #18 of 2612/7/09 at 11:33pmQuote:Hi..i just join this forum and a newbie to this hobby as well..
I have a SR80 with me, and I always use it with my iPod/Mac un-amp..it always sound great to me.. but surely enough, this kind of feeling will not last, there always an urge to seek more heights.. so for the last month, i've been thinking a lot of having an amp for my SR80. I am not really sure which path i wanna go atm.. but i'm kinda leaning toward having a desktop amp (which is relatively cheaper compare to their portable compatriot), a desktop tube amp to be precise..
do you know what kind of amp i should be getting to get the full potential out of SR80..? not necessarily a tube amp...
i manage to narrow down to Travagans white, Darkvoice 336i, and Little Dot MKIII....
appreciate your opinion................
Long story short, I wouldn't buy the lite amps, as the Grados don't need help with volume. They run fine without - and even the bass, itself, which is nice and clean, isn't bad. It's just that you may miss some of that rumble the closed-can people take for granted. Rather than muddy up your presentation by imitating them, just get an adequate bass amp. Grado, himself, doesn't even listen to the Grado RA-1 (an amp of Cmoy-like quality). He listens to a Melos (an old tube amp that's out of production but cherished). His amp is so warm that his headphones are tuned to it. So, without the amp, you're fine (more or less) but in some ways, you're missing some of the presentation your phones were meant to provide.post #19 of 2612/8/09 at 12:15ampost #20 of 2612/8/09 at 2:11amI started with the SR80i's as well. Explore the Amplification for sale forum, find amps that might interested you (in terms of price and size, etc) then use the search feature and see what people have to say about them.
I've seen a mini3 for sale now and then.post #21 of 2612/8/09 at 6:10ampost #22 of 269/15/10 at 1:32pm
I've owned a pair of SR80s for years now, they recently went out of commission due to a fall I had while listening (oops). Bent the head of the 3.5 and the cord got sliced by my chair. First time I was legitimately heartbroken over the loss of a inanimate object. Eventually I scraped the money to buy the sr80i. Nothing too new and improved after breaking them in, from memory (and without amping) the sr80i captured the same magic in my music as the 80s did, no more no less and that's not a bad thing. Immediately I was wondering what the point of the upgrade was anyways. It wasn't until hooking it up to my cmoy that it became apparent. I never amped my 80s too much because there wasn't much of a noticeable difference to me, it became a little more flat and drowned the bass slightly (even after my mods), but it didn't improve or detract from the sound so drastically that I needed to take it with me everywhere. When I amped the 80is with the same amp though, it became slightly unbearable. It was just too bright, and I actually prefer the 80s for that reason, but when I say too bright, oh my.
One of my first purchases with my upgrade in payscale was of course headphones. After my first paycheck I immediately bought a pair of AKG K702s and Sr325s. Big mistake, but a great one at that. It wasn't until I broke the Sr325s in that I finally caught the "Grado upgraditis". I've heard my friend's vast collection of headphones, and because I could only detect slight differences between them all, I never thought I was that much of an audiophile, that my ears had already been numbed enough from all the years of 10$ ear buds and loud gaming speakers. But after spending extra time with the 325s, I want more.
I dont know why I decided to rant on like that, Im at work and theres a dead period right now. I guess all I can say is if you do like grados, be wary of upgrading to anything higher than the 125s, make sure you have money to spend afterwards because you'll get addicted.
Oh, and back to the original topic, you really don't need an amp for the 60, 80 and 125, I mean it's all going to be preference, but it won't do so much that it'll be worth carrying around with you. And DO NOT amp with the fiio e5, not saying it's a bad pocket amp (great for my IEMS), but it kind of trudges over that sweet grado sound.post #23 of 2612/15/10 at 9:29am
I don't know if the E7 did much (but then, I've run the SR80i with the E7 since I got it). I just hooked them up to the E7/E9 combo and the bass is definitely a good bit 'more' there now.post #24 of 268/21/12 at 5:12pmpost #25 of 268/24/12 at 10:34pm
I honestly can't say I noticed much difference when I paired the 80s with my Fiio E11, but just recently I happened to plug the 80s into my Meier Corda Jazz amp and it was pretty clear that they scaled up a bit. This isn't really a feasible pairing, though, since spending 4x the price of the headphones on the amp doesn't make a lot of sense, but it did sort of prove to me that, while the Grados sound really good with just a modest source such as an ipod, they are some gains to be had with better quality amps. But I'm not sure the Fiio really did much...although I am very much a fan of the E11 for portable use.
- Portable amp for Grado SR80i
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Rose Technology Discussion & Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › What is your ear cleaning routine like? 1 minute ago
- › FIIO Customer Service... 2 minutes ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 2 minutes ago
- › Why does my vinyl sound bad? 2 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM... 3 minutes ago
- › The earphone game just got a lot more SIRIUS. The new five driver... 4 minutes ago
- › Etymotic Research ER4SR (Like New) 4 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 5 minutes ago
- › Philips SHE3595WT/28 In-Ear Headset with Mic White by Prosie
- › Soundaware Esther by Jackpot77
- › Philips SHP9500 by MaximumEnnui
- › Cayin iDAC-6 by EvenR
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by Brooko
- › The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Series 3 Hifi Earphones by Hisoundfi
- › Bowers & Wilkins P3 by foobar2015
- › "PETEREK (Verbessen)" by Hawaiibadboy
- › FiiO AM2 - Medium Power Amplifier Module for X7 by howdy
- › DiDiT DAC212 by Runningwater
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...