- 1,681 Posts. Joined 8/2007
- Location: Manila, Philippines
- Select All Posts By This User
- productDarkvoice 336itagged by System, 8/27/12
- productFiiO E5 Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 8/27/12
- brandGradotagged by System, 9/15/10
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by System, 9/15/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 9/15/10
- productLittle Dot MK IIItagged by System, 8/27/12
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 9/15/10
- productTravagan's White Headphone Amplifier & USB DACtagged by System, 8/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- Portable amp to run Grado SR80i's Last post on 1/28/11 at 4:45pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Amp required or Not. . . . . . Last post on 6/11/12 at 11:07am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- FiiO E11>E7>E6>E5? Last post on 12/28/11 at 11:01pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- FiiO e11 Last post on 12/30/11 at 10:57am in Portable Headphone Amps
- E9 Upgrade? Last post on 10/3/11 at 4:49pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I was excited to be approached by world famous cable artisan company 'Effect Audio' and asked me to provide a review of their recently released Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable. This cable is...
This is my second attempt at using a portable amp (I returned my Fiio E12A for this). That was a good decision. The Cayin C5 is an absolute powerhouse. It can power IEM's and earbuds...
Introduction/Disclaimer I was given this sample in exchange for my honest opinion and impressions. I would especially like to thank Kathryn for getting in touch for purpose of this review. I...
I've become a big fan of wireless headphones over the years with aptx codec, bluetooth 4.0 technology, and li-ion batteries becoming the standard. This allows more of the battery to be dedicated to...
Introduction Why am I here? Am I seeking an endgame all-in-one audio device? Am I seeking an amplifier for every conceivable, non-electrostatic headphone? Am I seeking a sound that will draw me...
Portable amp for Grado SR80i - Page 2post #16 of 2612/7/09 at 9:08amFor another cheap alternative, the Mini3 is a good option. It had great synergy with the Grado SR80 which I owned in the past (more/tighter bass, a smidge more detail).
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 2612/7/09 at 5:44pmI bought a PA2V2 a couple years back, to go with my SR-80. At first it didn't seem to really do much, but I realize now that is because I was using a crappy MP3 player with it.
Recently I pulled it out of my desk and hooked it up to a newer Sony Walkman MP3 player, and the difference in sound is absolutely noticeable (to me anyway!). I am very happy with it--the songs have more "oomph!"
Don't know if this helps, but thought I'd share. (I got the PA2V2 for $60 including shipping.)post #18 of 2612/7/09 at 11:33pmQuote:Hi..i just join this forum and a newbie to this hobby as well..
I have a SR80 with me, and I always use it with my iPod/Mac un-amp..it always sound great to me.. but surely enough, this kind of feeling will not last, there always an urge to seek more heights.. so for the last month, i've been thinking a lot of having an amp for my SR80. I am not really sure which path i wanna go atm.. but i'm kinda leaning toward having a desktop amp (which is relatively cheaper compare to their portable compatriot), a desktop tube amp to be precise..
do you know what kind of amp i should be getting to get the full potential out of SR80..? not necessarily a tube amp...
i manage to narrow down to Travagans white, Darkvoice 336i, and Little Dot MKIII....
appreciate your opinion................
Long story short, I wouldn't buy the lite amps, as the Grados don't need help with volume. They run fine without - and even the bass, itself, which is nice and clean, isn't bad. It's just that you may miss some of that rumble the closed-can people take for granted. Rather than muddy up your presentation by imitating them, just get an adequate bass amp. Grado, himself, doesn't even listen to the Grado RA-1 (an amp of Cmoy-like quality). He listens to a Melos (an old tube amp that's out of production but cherished). His amp is so warm that his headphones are tuned to it. So, without the amp, you're fine (more or less) but in some ways, you're missing some of the presentation your phones were meant to provide.post #19 of 2612/8/09 at 12:15ampost #20 of 2612/8/09 at 2:11amI started with the SR80i's as well. Explore the Amplification for sale forum, find amps that might interested you (in terms of price and size, etc) then use the search feature and see what people have to say about them.
I've seen a mini3 for sale now and then.post #21 of 2612/8/09 at 6:10ampost #22 of 269/15/10 at 1:32pm
I've owned a pair of SR80s for years now, they recently went out of commission due to a fall I had while listening (oops). Bent the head of the 3.5 and the cord got sliced by my chair. First time I was legitimately heartbroken over the loss of a inanimate object. Eventually I scraped the money to buy the sr80i. Nothing too new and improved after breaking them in, from memory (and without amping) the sr80i captured the same magic in my music as the 80s did, no more no less and that's not a bad thing. Immediately I was wondering what the point of the upgrade was anyways. It wasn't until hooking it up to my cmoy that it became apparent. I never amped my 80s too much because there wasn't much of a noticeable difference to me, it became a little more flat and drowned the bass slightly (even after my mods), but it didn't improve or detract from the sound so drastically that I needed to take it with me everywhere. When I amped the 80is with the same amp though, it became slightly unbearable. It was just too bright, and I actually prefer the 80s for that reason, but when I say too bright, oh my.
One of my first purchases with my upgrade in payscale was of course headphones. After my first paycheck I immediately bought a pair of AKG K702s and Sr325s. Big mistake, but a great one at that. It wasn't until I broke the Sr325s in that I finally caught the "Grado upgraditis". I've heard my friend's vast collection of headphones, and because I could only detect slight differences between them all, I never thought I was that much of an audiophile, that my ears had already been numbed enough from all the years of 10$ ear buds and loud gaming speakers. But after spending extra time with the 325s, I want more.
I dont know why I decided to rant on like that, Im at work and theres a dead period right now. I guess all I can say is if you do like grados, be wary of upgrading to anything higher than the 125s, make sure you have money to spend afterwards because you'll get addicted.
Oh, and back to the original topic, you really don't need an amp for the 60, 80 and 125, I mean it's all going to be preference, but it won't do so much that it'll be worth carrying around with you. And DO NOT amp with the fiio e5, not saying it's a bad pocket amp (great for my IEMS), but it kind of trudges over that sweet grado sound.post #23 of 2612/15/10 at 9:29am
I don't know if the E7 did much (but then, I've run the SR80i with the E7 since I got it). I just hooked them up to the E7/E9 combo and the bass is definitely a good bit 'more' there now.post #24 of 268/21/12 at 5:12pmpost #25 of 268/24/12 at 10:34pm
I honestly can't say I noticed much difference when I paired the 80s with my Fiio E11, but just recently I happened to plug the 80s into my Meier Corda Jazz amp and it was pretty clear that they scaled up a bit. This isn't really a feasible pairing, though, since spending 4x the price of the headphones on the amp doesn't make a lot of sense, but it did sort of prove to me that, while the Grados sound really good with just a modest source such as an ipod, they are some gains to be had with better quality amps. But I'm not sure the Fiio really did much...although I am very much a fan of the E11 for portable use.
- Portable amp for Grado SR80i
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic... 1 minute ago
- › IS HD650 or T90 an upgrade to Denon D2000 ? worth buying if i... 1 minute ago
- › Creative G5 discussion and reviews 3 minutes ago
- › Rising cost of "audiophile" equipment and importance of bias/blind... 5 minutes ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 6 minutes ago
- › Caffeine addicts anonymous 6 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 6 minutes ago
- › Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 Ebony impressions thread 8 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 8 minutes ago
- › Cannot find the right earbud tips 8 minutes ago
- › Effect Audio Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable by sonickarma
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Tayyab Pirzada
- › Edifier S1000DB Audiophile Active Bookshelf Speakers - Bluetooth... by dnun8086
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones by Llloyd
- › Simaudio 230HAD by sheldaze
- › FiiO L9 L-Shaped Line Out Dock (LOD) Cable For iPod and iPhone by ryanjsoo
- › Espressivo-E by Feliks Audio by thatonenoob
- › B&O Beoplay H6 (2nd generation) by istirsin
- › ONKYO A800 50mm Open Back Headphone by Sonic Defender
- › Sony PHA-3 Headphone Amp by Whitigir
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...