^Don't forget stupendously tweakable to suit your preference
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Dr. Dre Trade - The adventure of bad Headphones Last post on 12/9/12 at 10:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- Gainclone LM3886 for Headphone? Last post on 9/8/11 at 7:44pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Question about the Sennheiser 280s Last post on 9/20/11 at 12:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Happy, and wondering. Last post on 8/19/11 at 11:17am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 7/26/13
I bought these cans 2 years ago and sold them to get the ATH-M50, which then lead me into the audio world. Overall these are good portable headphones with great build quality. The sound, however,...
The Sennheiser Momentum On Ear is bursting with goodness. Nice looks, sound, and great value to go with it. Now, Let's go straight into it! These look so phenomenal, with all that alcantara...
The Sennheiser PX 360 headphones look good, and are very comfortable, at least to me, but the earcups fit just nicely over my ears. Any smaller and I would not be able to fit these over my ears....
Bass response doesn't bleed to the vocals or any other frequency whatsoever, thin lightweight cable with no microphonics and small plug to connect to portable devices. Some people called...
I don't consider them nice or even fun but everytime I'm working out I feel like I made a great investment. Going out with my Westone 4R or my customs make me feel paranoid to some extend. The...
Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW! - Page 191
Gear mentioned in this thread:
You have no idea.....
Come over to the dark side....if you only knew the power....
Search your feelings.....you know it to be true....
Edited by LFF - 9/24/11 at 10:13pm
Edited by Draygonn - 9/25/11 at 3:34am
Luke only had a lowly T16.
Now Vader....he has a T50RP!!!!
He wishes he had a T50RP....
Edited by LFF - 9/24/11 at 10:39pm
I think they would fit under his helmet.
Dark Helmet would probably use LCD-2's.
Good timing, I recently got the Star Wars Trilogy on Blu Ray and I'm watching the first one wearing my T40RPs now. I'm imagining the Jawa's were killed because their T50RP modding got the Empire in a tissy over no one wanting to pay 1k for headphones anymore...
Good idea on the headband and fiberfill! Thanks.
Fostex cups are 3.75" x 4.25" ovals. LCD2 cups are 4.25" round. Mine are original and glued in place.
Does anyone have a supplier for yellow fiberglass squares about 1" thick?
Isn't it regular material for home insulation? In which case it should be available pretty much anywhere no?
This is not well known but melamine foam (sold nowadays as sponge http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine_foam ) has excellent sound absorption capabilities. It's actually used in launch vehicles since it's very lightweight yet effective ( http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf&AD=ADA476215 ). I used it for modding HD800's ( http://www.head-fi.org/t/464042/want-more-bass-from-your-hd-800-easy-mod/15#post_6299244 ). It's available in every supermarket in Japan, maybe elsewhere too?
Here's some comparison of absorption performance (0 means incident waves are completely reflected, 1 means perfectly absorbed) for a thin 3mm layer (vs. a typical fiberglass):
Note that the results completely change when you stuff the fiber like crazy (expect much less absorption). Also, one misconception is that filling a volume with fiber reduces is effective volume, but it's actually the opposite (it acoustically feels more compliant when you fill it - that unless you stuff it so much that the cotton or whatever fiber is heavily compressed, in which case yes you're reducing the effective volume...).
Thanks for the information and graphs. Very interesting. Good stuff on the HD800 mod, too. I found melamine sponges on Amazon.
So, it appears melamine sponge is better at absorbing higher frequencies and can be tailored to target various frequency range absorption by using different thicknesses. Is this correct? Do you know of a material to add to the internal volume of the cups to attenuate the quantity (not the quality) of frequencies from 20hz to 250 hz?
I happen to like the bass quantity/quality of my current T50RP mods but my wife wants a set with less bass quantity, thus the search for a fix. I think one possibility is to use standard mods of plasticine in the baffles and Paxmate or Silverstone in the cups, leave the denser white felt on the back of the drivers, and try with/without a reflex dot - OR standard mods but remove the white felt and apply more than one layer of Organdi. It make sense to try leaving the white felt intact, first.
Could you explain why/how loose, non-compressed fiber in the cups increases the effective volume vs. why/how densely packed fiber reduces the effective cup volume?
- Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Dutch Headphone Meet 2014 (Germans & Belgians welcome!) 14 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 35 seconds ago
- › Burson Audio HA-160DS Amp/DAC Solid State Like New! -- For Sale or... 48 seconds ago
- › Q701 appreciation thread 53 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear Impressions 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 2 minutes ago
- › Dallas, TX - Sunday, May 25th, 2014 - "May Mix It Up" meetup 2 minutes ago
- › The Bucket-Rin OA-7: A DiY driver transplant into a Pickering OA-7... 2 minutes ago
- › 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded! 2 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 2 minutes ago
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by LaPierre
- › Noble Audio FR by HideousPride
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by AManAnd88Keys
- › JBL J33 Premium In-Ear Headphones - Black by QyababAM
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob