^Don't forget stupendously tweakable to suit your preference
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Dr. Dre Trade - The adventure of bad Headphones Last post on 12/9/12 at 10:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- Gainclone LM3886 for Headphone? Last post on 9/8/11 at 7:44pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Question about the Sennheiser 280s Last post on 9/20/11 at 12:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Happy, and wondering. Last post on 8/19/11 at 11:17am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 7/26/13
Packaging and build: The packaging is minimal and exquisitely so. The extra tips filters and manual are behind the felt coated foam holding the earphones. As I gingerly dislodged them from the...
a-JAYS Five Quick Review Thanks to JAYS for the sample. Full review at http://www.head-fi.org/t/695893/jays-a-jays-five-review Brief: JAYS notice that there are phones not made by...
To start off I have to clarify that i am not an "Audiophile", nothing about me is audiophile related except the love of music and headphones. So to start this review i'd like to talk about the...
Since the Gamma y2 is a DIY project I'm not going to comment on the build quality as its dependent on the builder. The Sound The sound of the y2 varies on how it was built. Mine is using...
I just thought I'd write up a review on these headphones. They did a bit getting used to, because the reproduction of sound is so clear and even. Like getting used to a pair of studio monitors...
Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW! - Page 191
Gear mentioned in this thread:
You have no idea.....
Come over to the dark side....if you only knew the power....
Search your feelings.....you know it to be true....
Edited by LFF - 9/24/11 at 10:13pm
Edited by Draygonn - 9/25/11 at 3:34am
Luke only had a lowly T16.
Now Vader....he has a T50RP!!!!
He wishes he had a T50RP....
Edited by LFF - 9/24/11 at 10:39pm
I think they would fit under his helmet.
Dark Helmet would probably use LCD-2's.
Good timing, I recently got the Star Wars Trilogy on Blu Ray and I'm watching the first one wearing my T40RPs now. I'm imagining the Jawa's were killed because their T50RP modding got the Empire in a tissy over no one wanting to pay 1k for headphones anymore...
Good idea on the headband and fiberfill! Thanks.
Fostex cups are 3.75" x 4.25" ovals. LCD2 cups are 4.25" round. Mine are original and glued in place.
Does anyone have a supplier for yellow fiberglass squares about 1" thick?
Isn't it regular material for home insulation? In which case it should be available pretty much anywhere no?
This is not well known but melamine foam (sold nowadays as sponge http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine_foam ) has excellent sound absorption capabilities. It's actually used in launch vehicles since it's very lightweight yet effective ( http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf&AD=ADA476215 ). I used it for modding HD800's ( http://www.head-fi.org/t/464042/want-more-bass-from-your-hd-800-easy-mod/15#post_6299244 ). It's available in every supermarket in Japan, maybe elsewhere too?
Here's some comparison of absorption performance (0 means incident waves are completely reflected, 1 means perfectly absorbed) for a thin 3mm layer (vs. a typical fiberglass):
Note that the results completely change when you stuff the fiber like crazy (expect much less absorption). Also, one misconception is that filling a volume with fiber reduces is effective volume, but it's actually the opposite (it acoustically feels more compliant when you fill it - that unless you stuff it so much that the cotton or whatever fiber is heavily compressed, in which case yes you're reducing the effective volume...).
Thanks for the information and graphs. Very interesting. Good stuff on the HD800 mod, too. I found melamine sponges on Amazon.
So, it appears melamine sponge is better at absorbing higher frequencies and can be tailored to target various frequency range absorption by using different thicknesses. Is this correct? Do you know of a material to add to the internal volume of the cups to attenuate the quantity (not the quality) of frequencies from 20hz to 250 hz?
I happen to like the bass quantity/quality of my current T50RP mods but my wife wants a set with less bass quantity, thus the search for a fix. I think one possibility is to use standard mods of plasticine in the baffles and Paxmate or Silverstone in the cups, leave the denser white felt on the back of the drivers, and try with/without a reflex dot - OR standard mods but remove the white felt and apply more than one layer of Organdi. It make sense to try leaving the white felt intact, first.
Could you explain why/how loose, non-compressed fiber in the cups increases the effective volume vs. why/how densely packed fiber reduces the effective cup volume?
- Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The Stax Thread III 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 2 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 2 minutes ago
- › WTB- Schiit Gungnir With or Without USB- Located In Europe- Offer... 2 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Dec 16th 2013 and feature poll... 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 IEM Appreciation/Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz Delta IEM's: new low cost champs! 5 minutes ago
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › JVC HAS160B FLATS Lightweight Headband Headphones (Black) by Lokip000
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by Xstream
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by Beethoven Lover
- › Astell&Kern AKR01 Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors by wolfetan44
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe