^Don't forget stupendously tweakable to suit your preference
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- new cans for home. Last post on 1/19/13 at 11:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Dr. Dre Trade - The adventure of bad Headphones Last post on 12/9/12 at 10:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Have I found the best Monitor headphones for $100 or less?! Last post on 11/30/12 at 7:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 380 pro: love it or hate it? Last post on 10/16/12 at 1:29am in Headphones (full-size)
- Most bang for 200$ ? Last post on 9/15/12 at 3:17am in Headphones (full-size)
There aren't many sub-$10 IEMs in the market. With all the recent budget IEMs being priced at around $50, it leaves very little choice for people who are looking for a very cheap IEM. As far as I...
Since I was among the early adopters of this updated 2.0 version of R3, I already posted a detailed review with pictures in the original R3 review thread. Therefore, I'm just going to provide a...
Im probably like you right now, I was once reading reviews a bunch of comments, watching a bunch of videos of what to purchase... and everyone kept suggesting the ATH-M50x, so in a frantic search...
First I'd like to thank Brainwavz for the opportunity to review these. As others did, I received a review pair to keep. It was a very generous gesture. Plenty of people have already posted all the...
Comply foam tip should need no introduction at this point, as it has become a norm for many brand name IEM to include a pair of them. But what we are talking here is something new – or should I say...
Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW! - Page 191
Gear mentioned in this thread:
You have no idea.....
Come over to the dark side....if you only knew the power....
Search your feelings.....you know it to be true....
Edited by LFF - 9/24/11 at 10:13pm
Edited by Draygonn - 9/25/11 at 3:34am
Luke only had a lowly T16.
Now Vader....he has a T50RP!!!!
He wishes he had a T50RP....
Edited by LFF - 9/24/11 at 10:39pm
I think they would fit under his helmet.
Dark Helmet would probably use LCD-2's.
Good timing, I recently got the Star Wars Trilogy on Blu Ray and I'm watching the first one wearing my T40RPs now. I'm imagining the Jawa's were killed because their T50RP modding got the Empire in a tissy over no one wanting to pay 1k for headphones anymore...
Good idea on the headband and fiberfill! Thanks.
Fostex cups are 3.75" x 4.25" ovals. LCD2 cups are 4.25" round. Mine are original and glued in place.
Does anyone have a supplier for yellow fiberglass squares about 1" thick?
Isn't it regular material for home insulation? In which case it should be available pretty much anywhere no?
This is not well known but melamine foam (sold nowadays as sponge http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine_foam ) has excellent sound absorption capabilities. It's actually used in launch vehicles since it's very lightweight yet effective ( http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf&AD=ADA476215 ). I used it for modding HD800's ( http://www.head-fi.org/t/464042/want-more-bass-from-your-hd-800-easy-mod/15#post_6299244 ). It's available in every supermarket in Japan, maybe elsewhere too?
Here's some comparison of absorption performance (0 means incident waves are completely reflected, 1 means perfectly absorbed) for a thin 3mm layer (vs. a typical fiberglass):
Note that the results completely change when you stuff the fiber like crazy (expect much less absorption). Also, one misconception is that filling a volume with fiber reduces is effective volume, but it's actually the opposite (it acoustically feels more compliant when you fill it - that unless you stuff it so much that the cotton or whatever fiber is heavily compressed, in which case yes you're reducing the effective volume...).
Thanks for the information and graphs. Very interesting. Good stuff on the HD800 mod, too. I found melamine sponges on Amazon.
So, it appears melamine sponge is better at absorbing higher frequencies and can be tailored to target various frequency range absorption by using different thicknesses. Is this correct? Do you know of a material to add to the internal volume of the cups to attenuate the quantity (not the quality) of frequencies from 20hz to 250 hz?
I happen to like the bass quantity/quality of my current T50RP mods but my wife wants a set with less bass quantity, thus the search for a fix. I think one possibility is to use standard mods of plasticine in the baffles and Paxmate or Silverstone in the cups, leave the denser white felt on the back of the drivers, and try with/without a reflex dot - OR standard mods but remove the white felt and apply more than one layer of Organdi. It make sense to try leaving the white felt intact, first.
Could you explain why/how loose, non-compressed fiber in the cups increases the effective volume vs. why/how densely packed fiber reduces the effective cup volume?
- Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › bryston bha-1 1 minute ago
- › HD800: benefits of a 43 ohms impedance adapter ? 1 minute ago
- › The Stax Thread III 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › iDSD micro Crowd-Designed! Phase 2: iCLUB video announcement (page... 3 minutes ago
- › The Entry Level Stax Thread 3 minutes ago
- › WTB Ultrasone Pro 900 3 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 3 minutes ago
- › DigiZoid ZO FS & ZO FS+ (a.k.a. ZO3) Updates & Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by twister6
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › Comply Custom Wraps by ClieOS
- › Bowers & Wilkins P5 Mobile Headphones by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by DwightLooi
- › FIDUE A81 In-Ear Noise Isolating Earphones Heaphones with High-End... by Brooko
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by monitorlove
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by ballbarn
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)