Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Why FLAC is better.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why FLAC is better.

post #1 of 176
Thread Starter 
Hearing the difference now isn’t the reason to encode to FLAC. FLAC uses lossless compression, while MP3 is ‘lossy’. What this means is that for each year the MP3 sits on your hard drive, it will lose roughly 12kbps, assuming you have SATA – it’s about 15kbps on IDE, but only 7kbps on SCSI, due to rotational velocidensity. You don’t want to know how much worse it is on CD-ROM or other optical media.

I started collecting MP3s in about 2001, and if I try to play any of the tracks I downloaded back then, even the stuff I grabbed at 320kbps, they just sound like crap. The bass is terrible, the midrange…well don’t get me started. Some of those albums have degraded down to 32 or even 16kbps. FLAC rips from the same period still sound great, even if they weren’t stored correctly, in a cool, dry place. Seriously, stick to FLAC, you may not be able to hear the difference now, but in a year or two, you’ll be glad you did.
post #2 of 176
Or u can rerip every 2nd years if your collection isnt huge. What you're saying is that if i download music... in some years left on my hard drive it will sound like ****? Sounds weird to me
post #3 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by juntao View Post
Hearing the difference now isn’t the reason to encode to FLAC. FLAC uses lossless compression, while MP3 is ‘lossy’. What this means is that for each year the MP3 sits on your hard drive, it will lose roughly 12kbps, assuming you have SATA – it’s about 15kbps on IDE, but only 7kbps on SCSI, due to rotational velocidensity. You don’t want to know how much worse it is on CD-ROM or other optical media.

I started collecting MP3s in about 2001, and if I try to play any of the tracks I downloaded back then, even the stuff I grabbed at 320kbps, they just sound like crap. The bass is terrible, the midrange…well don’t get me started. Some of those albums have degraded down to 32 or even 16kbps. FLAC rips from the same period still sound great, even if they weren’t stored correctly, in a cool, dry place. Seriously, stick to FLAC, you may not be able to hear the difference now, but in a year or two, you’ll be glad you did.
post #4 of 176
Your 320kbps mp3s sound bad because you aren't storing them in proper places. Storing them in a cool and dry place will only degrade their sound quality due to mp3's special alignment of the 1s and 0s'. They should be placed under direct sunlight whenever possible which also allows the mp3s to absorb extra warmth which gives you that extra ounce of bass we all crave.
post #5 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonboy403 View Post
Your 320kbps mp3s sound bad because you aren't storing them in proper places. Storing them in a cool and dry place will only degrade their sound quality due to mp3's special alignment of the 1s and 0s'. They should be placed under direct sunlight whenever possible which also allows the mp3s to absorb extra warmth which gives you that extra ounce of bass we all crave.
So so true about keeping your Cd's in a warm place. I was fortunate enough to pick up a one-person sauna cheap at a Pool/Spa dealer that was going out of business. I ripped out the bench seat and lined the walls with shelves to store my collection. Since doing this 2 years ago I've noticed that my new purchases have retained 100% (!) of their original sound quality and that some of my older Cd's have improved immensely from their BS (before sauna) condition.
post #6 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by juntao View Post
Hearing the difference now isn’t the reason to encode to FLAC. FLAC uses lossless compression, while MP3 is ‘lossy’. What this means is that for each year the MP3 sits on your hard drive, it will lose roughly 12kbps, assuming you have SATA – it’s about 15kbps on IDE, but only 7kbps on SCSI, due to rotational velocidensity. You don’t want to know how much worse it is on CD-ROM or other optical media.

I started collecting MP3s in about 2001, and if I try to play any of the tracks I downloaded back then, even the stuff I grabbed at 320kbps, they just sound like crap. The bass is terrible, the midrange…well don’t get me started. Some of those albums have degraded down to 32 or even 16kbps. FLAC rips from the same period still sound great, even if they weren’t stored correctly, in a cool, dry place. Seriously, stick to FLAC, you may not be able to hear the difference now, but in a year or two, you’ll be glad you did.
You have a great future.
post #7 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by juntao View Post
Hearing the difference now isn’t the reason to encode to FLAC. FLAC uses lossless compression, while MP3 is ‘lossy’. What this means is that for each year the MP3 sits on your hard drive, it will lose roughly 12kbps, assuming you have SATA – it’s about 15kbps on IDE, but only 7kbps on SCSI, due to rotational velocidensity. You don’t want to know how much worse it is on CD-ROM or other optical media.
Yeah, right!
Either you are trolling and spread bull$hit, or you are very misinformed. Anyway, it is totally wrong...
post #8 of 176
You have to store mp3 in a cool dry place, otherwise it will wilt.
post #9 of 176


Iz in ur computer, stealin ur bitratez.
post #10 of 176
*Tries to find juntao's other post; hopes it is just as funny*
post #11 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by logwed View Post
*Tries to find juntao's other post; hopes it is just as funny*
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/que...owners-398881/

Nawww
post #12 of 176
I use ALAC files and store them in the freezer. They have lasted over 15 years with no sound degredation this way.
post #13 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender Rodriguez View Post
I use ALAC files and store them in the freezer. They have lasted over 15 years with no sound degredation this way.
Great work!
Especially since Apple introduced ALAC (Apple Lossless) as part of QuickTime 6.5.1 on April 28, 2004.
post #14 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by juntao View Post
What this means is that for each year the MP3 sits on your hard drive, it will lose roughly 12kbps
Oh noooooooo!! So in twenty-six years... my 320kbps mp3 will be 0kbps? Will that degrade the sound at all or should I just crank up the volume????????????????? I like to plan in advance, please advise
post #15 of 176
Are you saying that every mp3 file will lose 12kbs per year, or that if i have 10 mp3files, all of them will lose 120kbs each per year? And what happends when they reach 0 by the way? Do they vanish? SWOOSH?

Either way...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Science
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Why FLAC is better.