Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Windows 7 RC 64 USB Audio Jitter/distort issue
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Windows 7 RC 64 USB Audio Jitter/distort issue

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
I have recently installed Windows 7 RC 64 into my notebook. I encounter all my external USB audio related device jitter, distort when playing music but there is no issue when using internal sound device. I have tested D10 and USB-to-Optical (for zero) and both Jitter and distort. I tried using Asio4All driver and also WASAPI, increase buffer yet problem still remain.

I suspect that the USB Audio Codec driver issue. Anyone have encounter similar issue and any solution? Anywhere can download older USB Audio Codec driver version?
post #2 of 17
Thread Starter 
anyone have similar issue?
post #3 of 17
Wait till the final version of 7 I think will be the best advice

And maybe send Microsoft a bug or something
post #4 of 17
Hello,

Yes, i have the same problem as you, first I had it on my PC running windows 7100 RC 64 and not on my laptop running Vista 32. I recently installed Windows 7 RTM 64 and have the problem on my laptop to. I also know what is causing it and have a sort of a solution.

It's the energy state of CPU that distorting the sound. if you set your energy on maximum performance, the CPU remains at 100% and the USB sound device doesn't jitter, if it is not at maximum performance, de CPU tries to save power and goes running at 80% or 50%(depends if your computer is working or idle). Everytime it changes its clock, it also changes the core voltage, and it interferes with the USB port and you can hear it in the audio. It is not an ideal solution, because the power saving worked well on vista, thus it should work on seven, but yea.. I don't know if it's the fault of windows 7, 64-bit or the audio driver (Realtek HD in my case).

sorry for my bad english by the way, I hope you figur it out.

all the best
post #5 of 17
Hmm, maybe that's my issue? I thought it was the touchscreen on my tablet because if I keep contact with screen with my pen or finger the static immediately steps.

I tried going to high performance in my power settings, but that hasn't seemed to help.
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlanger View Post
Hmm, maybe that's my issue? I thought it was the touchscreen on my tablet because if I keep contact with screen with my pen or finger the static immediately steps.

I tried going to high performance in my power settings, but that hasn't seemed to help.
it would seem disabling power-saving features would be the key to eliminating this. Either in the BIOS or in the System (Device Manager maybe?) settings of windows.
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztsen View Post
anyone have similar issue?
Nope. I've used 7 since build 7057 and am using the RTM with no issues either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingworm View Post
Hello,

Yes, i have the same problem as you, first I had it on my PC running windows 7100 RC 64 and not on my laptop running Vista 32. I recently installed Windows 7 RTM 64 and have the problem on my laptop to. I also know what is causing it and have a sort of a solution.

It's the energy state of CPU that distorting the sound. if you set your energy on maximum performance, the CPU remains at 100% and the USB sound device doesn't jitter, if it is not at maximum performance, de CPU tries to save power and goes running at 80% or 50%(depends if your computer is working or idle). Everytime it changes its clock, it also changes the core voltage, and it interferes with the USB port and you can hear it in the audio. It is not an ideal solution, because the power saving worked well on vista, thus it should work on seven, but yea.. I don't know if it's the fault of windows 7, 64-bit or the audio driver (Realtek HD in my case).

sorry for my bad english by the way, I hope you figur it out.

all the best
I believe I've seen something similar to what's being explained here and I recall it was a problem affecting certain motherboards with Intel chipsets. You could either try disabling CPU throttling in the BIOS or try updating your motherboard's BIOS. You could also avoid changing anything in your BIOS by going to "Power Options" and setting it to Performance, this should disable CPU throttling within Windows.
post #8 of 17
Just a bit more info, it might be under speedstep for the intel processor as well.
post #9 of 17
Ugh! Nothing in my bios that will allow me to make any changes to the processor.
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlanger View Post
Ugh! Nothing in my bios that will allow me to make any changes to the processor.
Like I said above, change the power plan in Windows to disable CPU throttling. To do this type Power Options into the start menu, click show additional plans, and select High Performance. You can also modify whatever plan it's currently on, go into the advanced settings, processor power management, and set the Minimum Processor State to 100%.
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by somestranger26 View Post
Like I said above, change the power plan in Windows to disable CPU throttling. To do this type Power Options into the start menu, click show additional plans, and select High Performance. You can also modify whatever plan it's currently on, go into the advanced settings, processor power management, and set the Minimum Processor State to 100%.
Thanks. I've done all that. And while it has helped with some major noise I was experiencing, I'm still hearing some snap, crackle and pops. Maybe these are unrelated?
post #12 of 17
Is your device usb 2.0?
I was having a distorted/hissy type of problem (with vista 64) when using usb 1.1 dac plugged into usb port. Microsoft has hotfix for it. Article is here. Perhaps pertains to win7 too?
post #13 of 17
computer audiophile has some nice articles on usb audio issues. it's all about the hardware, often times the usb port is actually a shared device (the internal audio, or blutooth, wireless, whatever) is actually using that port and sharing it with a physical connection. because of this you'll need to find a usb port that is discreet and not sharing power or resources with anything else. in some systems this is impossible and you'll need to buy a separate usb pci card or whatnot.
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingworm View Post
Hello,
It's the energy state of CPU that distorting the sound. if you set your energy on maximum performance, the CPU remains at 100% and the USB sound device doesn't jitter, if it is not at maximum performance, de CPU tries to save power and goes running at 80% or 50%(depends if your computer is working or idle). Everytime it changes its clock, it also changes the core voltage, and it interferes with the USB port and you can hear it in the audio.
I know I'm bumping an old topic but I wanted to post here and thank you anyway. I've gone through a bunch of crap to try and get my 0404 working properly under Windows 7 but I had to read this post and disable AMD's Cool'n'Quiet feature in my BIOS to solve the audio glitches.

Windows 7 is now fully usable for me. Thanks again.
post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 
look like many different solution here. let me go home and try it out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Windows 7 RC 64 USB Audio Jitter/distort issue