Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Wanted in Australia - AKG K701/Q701/K702, Sennheiser HD650 & HiFi Man HE-500 Last post on 5/19/13 at 5:27pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- AKG Q701 bass Last post on 10/31/14 at 8:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Still looking for the right pair of headphones: advice? Last post on 12/13/12 at 12:52am in Headphones (full-size)
- I need advice on new cans and amping, so many choices... Last post on 11/30/12 at 7:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for Hi-Fi/AV use Last post on 10/4/12 at 5:03am in Headphones (full-size)
AK Audio Super Dolphin 6BASticking a Dolphin in your ears! DisclaimerThe Super Dolphin 6BA is a loaner unit provided in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion. I have tried my best to...
This is an excellent pair of headphones, sound is very clear, and the looks are impressive. I am disappointed with the padding, hurts to wear in less then 15 minutes. Pads can be replaced though....
I've had mine for almost 5 years, still breathing and still sounds great! I've had mine short circuit for two times because and fixed it, still sounds the same. So far this is the best for me and I...
When these went on sale at massdrop I thought I was going to put one over on the man and get some really good audiophile grade headphones for $100, sadly that's not what I got when the package...
This little DAC punches way way way above its weight. I fell deep into the audiophile hole about a month ago, waiting for our 2nd son to be born. If I could be so bold, I went through a...
AKG K702 Impressions. - Page 7
Gear mentioned in this thread:
About a week ago, the Woo WA6 arrived. I'm running it from my computer via usb to a HeadRoom Micro DAC to the WA6. I am new to this headphone game, so I picked the Micro because it had optical, usb, and coaxial inputs. Many others don't offer all three. It's very compact, truly a space saver. I have no idea if it has "synergy" as compared to some other combination.
This set up sounds awesome to me. For example, on Santana's "Supernatural" in DVD Audio, there is a song featuring Everlast called "Put Your Lights On". The acoustic guitar intro chords have the sweetest, most three dimensional sound and the vocals are so detailed and natural. The whole album sounds amazing. I would say this set up sounds pretty amazing with anything I put through it. But there are certain sounds that really stand out. Acoustic instruments, in particular, really shine. Electronic sounds are great too, though. On a trance song called "Cloudwalker", at one point there appears these spiraling electronic squiggles. They sound like they're hanging from the ceiling about 5 feet in front of you. It's very cool. I'll say that you can really tell which recordings were done technically well. I now understand very clearly about the quality of the source issue. It's not that an average recording sounds bad. It's more that a superb recording is mind-blowing. Another thing I'd say is that less busy recordings sound better to me, in general. What I mean by that is recordings wherein not every inch of sonic space is occupied by some sound.
The last thing I'll comment on is comfort. I don't find them to be very comfortable. The leather band that trapezes across the top of your head is very hard and presses against your noggin. Yeah, it's leather. It'll outlast me. But I'd rather have something pliable, soft and breathable resting on my head. Also, the ear pads aren't very soft. What I do like is that your ears can roam free inside them as there's a ton of space. I feel like comfort should be a foregone conclusion at this point in the evolution of headphone design. They should sit on your head and envelope your ears in a virtually un-noticeable manner. I don't know why they couldn't have made the earcups out of the squishy/jel-like/foam. It would conform to your head more easily and be much softer. Maybe it detracts from the sound somehow.
All in all, I'm very pleased with what I came up with. When I listen to a superior recording of some great music, it's audio ecstacy
The AKG Nazis will be here shortly to harp on how terrible your hearing is and the total lack of bass they have even though you have confirmed you have satisfactorily accepted their presentation. It's just their way of participating so take them with a deer block of salt and enjoy the wit.
Lol, a "Deer block of Salt" Lol. Funny. I bet most people don't even know what a salt lick/deer block is.
That would be me then, lol. How would these cans sound when hooked up to an Audio GD Sparrow or maybe an Icon Audio HP8?
I'm running the 702 with the new Schiit Vahalla Tube Headphone Amp. Superb on everything. Check out the Schiit/702 combo. The Vahalla was voiced with the AKG 701. All my music sounds silkier, more detailed and with better midrange body and bass.
I hadn't heard of Schiit until your post. Reading their website makes me think the Valhalla would be worth a punt after I get the 702's. I certainly like the price and valves really do appeal, for whatever reason. Thanks for the heads-up.
For portable music player "Philips Muse" http://www.philips.co.uk/c/mp3-and-mp4-players/gogear-muse-32-gb-sa2mus32s_02/prd/
Should i get K 702 (62 ohms) or K 601 (120 ohms)?
both are 200 mW max
Neither. Both require quite a powerful desktop amp to sound great. They'll both still sound good straight from the Muse, but IMO it would be a waste of money to get the K7/601 for portable use.
Is there hi-fi integrated player with good output (don't need amp), flac support, large touch sensitive screen and menu interface like portable players?
I do not like the look of HiFiMAN, sorry it's my personal opinion.
I guess such sound comes out only from 10 KG large box http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuJlgs0SQnw
I can get amp later, but witch one is less power hungry for now, is it the 120 ohm, because 62 needs more current i think
Marantz NA7004 has flac support http://www.marantz.eu/en/products/284/na7004/
for $800 is it better than portable player + amp, but there is no interface to dig fast in large music collection, and not even harddrive / flash memory inside.
The Cowon J3 looks like it fits your needs, but even with that, I still would not recommend either of those two. Even with a portable amp, they will not be driven to their maximum performance. As for which one is harder to drive, I only currently own the K701. From what I've read, the K601 is also a tough headphone to amp properly. To check and see if an (portable) amp is suitable for those two, look at its output for each of the impedance levels of the headphones. The K701 needs at least around 300 or 400mw. I assume the K601 is similar. My matrix m stage supplies about 400mw to the K701, but even then I have it set to the 2nd highest gain.
Also something to think about, the K601 has a bit different sonic signature to the K701 (from what I've read, not my own experience). The bass is supposed to be a touch more pronounced, along with the mids a bit more forward. A lot of people prefer it and the K501 to the K701.
Well, 601 band does not have the bumps, so you won't have to worry about that, but you may still find it a bit stiff on your head as there's really not much padding. Depends on your tolerance level.
I'd personally have the K601 style headband any day over the K701 horror bumps.
- AKG K702 Impressions.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 12 seconds ago
- › Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9) 48 seconds ago
- › Help needed as i'm unsure of what to do 1 minute ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV 1 minute ago
- › New M8 DAC from SMSL (9018/XMOS) 2 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth! 5 minutes ago
- › Westone W60 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 5 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio L2 + Fostex hp-a4 + Nuforce ha-200 + Schiit Wyrd 5 minutes ago
- › Super Dolphin 6BA by RedJohn456
- › HE-5LE by audiophilehe400
- › Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer by artofmanliness
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by reikoshea
- › Hifime Sabre 9018 USB DAC by Rish732
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Rish732
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by chef8489
- › Over Ear Headphones，Mixcder ShareMe Pro Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo HiFi... by B9Scrambler
- › DIGNIS LAETUS case for Chord Electronics Mojo by HiFiChris
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by cleg
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...