Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Wanted in Australia - AKG K701/Q701/K702, Sennheiser HD650 & HiFi Man HE-500 Last post on 5/19/13 at 5:27pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- AKG Q701 bass Last post on 10/31/14 at 8:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Still looking for the right pair of headphones: advice? Last post on 12/13/12 at 12:52am in Headphones (full-size)
- I need advice on new cans and amping, so many choices... Last post on 11/30/12 at 7:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for Hi-Fi/AV use Last post on 10/4/12 at 5:03am in Headphones (full-size)
To begin with, I would like to thank iFi for making this great tour and allowing some of us to test this product. I've been enjoying my original micro iDSD since January 2015 and it is really a...
-- **This review is a sample portion from the full thread: Meet the Puresounds Earbud Family.** **All photos are taken by me.** **Disclaimer - I was provided the Puresounds...
There comes a time you're bored from your audio gear. You don't have a grand or two for a new set of ultra high end headphones to give you that fresh kick, and electronics costing as much as your...
MY GOD!!! I have just received my headphones! I have been putting them through there initial paces straight from the box, after just 30 mins I have had to come here to let you know my experience so...
At the time this review was written, the Oriveti NEW Primacy was listed for sale on Amazon’s website. Here is a link to their listing of the...
AKG K702 Impressions. - Page 7
Gear mentioned in this thread:
About a week ago, the Woo WA6 arrived. I'm running it from my computer via usb to a HeadRoom Micro DAC to the WA6. I am new to this headphone game, so I picked the Micro because it had optical, usb, and coaxial inputs. Many others don't offer all three. It's very compact, truly a space saver. I have no idea if it has "synergy" as compared to some other combination.
This set up sounds awesome to me. For example, on Santana's "Supernatural" in DVD Audio, there is a song featuring Everlast called "Put Your Lights On". The acoustic guitar intro chords have the sweetest, most three dimensional sound and the vocals are so detailed and natural. The whole album sounds amazing. I would say this set up sounds pretty amazing with anything I put through it. But there are certain sounds that really stand out. Acoustic instruments, in particular, really shine. Electronic sounds are great too, though. On a trance song called "Cloudwalker", at one point there appears these spiraling electronic squiggles. They sound like they're hanging from the ceiling about 5 feet in front of you. It's very cool. I'll say that you can really tell which recordings were done technically well. I now understand very clearly about the quality of the source issue. It's not that an average recording sounds bad. It's more that a superb recording is mind-blowing. Another thing I'd say is that less busy recordings sound better to me, in general. What I mean by that is recordings wherein not every inch of sonic space is occupied by some sound.
The last thing I'll comment on is comfort. I don't find them to be very comfortable. The leather band that trapezes across the top of your head is very hard and presses against your noggin. Yeah, it's leather. It'll outlast me. But I'd rather have something pliable, soft and breathable resting on my head. Also, the ear pads aren't very soft. What I do like is that your ears can roam free inside them as there's a ton of space. I feel like comfort should be a foregone conclusion at this point in the evolution of headphone design. They should sit on your head and envelope your ears in a virtually un-noticeable manner. I don't know why they couldn't have made the earcups out of the squishy/jel-like/foam. It would conform to your head more easily and be much softer. Maybe it detracts from the sound somehow.
All in all, I'm very pleased with what I came up with. When I listen to a superior recording of some great music, it's audio ecstacy
The AKG Nazis will be here shortly to harp on how terrible your hearing is and the total lack of bass they have even though you have confirmed you have satisfactorily accepted their presentation. It's just their way of participating so take them with a deer block of salt and enjoy the wit.
Lol, a "Deer block of Salt" Lol. Funny. I bet most people don't even know what a salt lick/deer block is.
That would be me then, lol. How would these cans sound when hooked up to an Audio GD Sparrow or maybe an Icon Audio HP8?
I'm running the 702 with the new Schiit Vahalla Tube Headphone Amp. Superb on everything. Check out the Schiit/702 combo. The Vahalla was voiced with the AKG 701. All my music sounds silkier, more detailed and with better midrange body and bass.
I hadn't heard of Schiit until your post. Reading their website makes me think the Valhalla would be worth a punt after I get the 702's. I certainly like the price and valves really do appeal, for whatever reason. Thanks for the heads-up.
For portable music player "Philips Muse" http://www.philips.co.uk/c/mp3-and-mp4-players/gogear-muse-32-gb-sa2mus32s_02/prd/
Should i get K 702 (62 ohms) or K 601 (120 ohms)?
both are 200 mW max
Neither. Both require quite a powerful desktop amp to sound great. They'll both still sound good straight from the Muse, but IMO it would be a waste of money to get the K7/601 for portable use.
Is there hi-fi integrated player with good output (don't need amp), flac support, large touch sensitive screen and menu interface like portable players?
I do not like the look of HiFiMAN, sorry it's my personal opinion.
I guess such sound comes out only from 10 KG large box http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuJlgs0SQnw
I can get amp later, but witch one is less power hungry for now, is it the 120 ohm, because 62 needs more current i think
Marantz NA7004 has flac support http://www.marantz.eu/en/products/284/na7004/
for $800 is it better than portable player + amp, but there is no interface to dig fast in large music collection, and not even harddrive / flash memory inside.
The Cowon J3 looks like it fits your needs, but even with that, I still would not recommend either of those two. Even with a portable amp, they will not be driven to their maximum performance. As for which one is harder to drive, I only currently own the K701. From what I've read, the K601 is also a tough headphone to amp properly. To check and see if an (portable) amp is suitable for those two, look at its output for each of the impedance levels of the headphones. The K701 needs at least around 300 or 400mw. I assume the K601 is similar. My matrix m stage supplies about 400mw to the K701, but even then I have it set to the 2nd highest gain.
Also something to think about, the K601 has a bit different sonic signature to the K701 (from what I've read, not my own experience). The bass is supposed to be a touch more pronounced, along with the mids a bit more forward. A lot of people prefer it and the K501 to the K701.
Well, 601 band does not have the bumps, so you won't have to worry about that, but you may still find it a bit stiff on your head as there's really not much padding. Depends on your tolerance level.
I'd personally have the K601 style headband any day over the K701 horror bumps.
- AKG K702 Impressions.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX &... 32 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 37 seconds ago
- › JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread 52 seconds ago
- › GRADO STATEMENT GS2000e - Review and First Impressions 1 minute ago
- › Sony MDR-1000X 1 minute ago
- › Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 2 minutes ago
- › Rank the Headphones that You Own. 3 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic Xelento! 3 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 4 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by rafaelpernil
- › PureSounds PS100-600 by BloodyPenguin
- › Schiit Audio Vali 2 by DeeKay10
- › AKG K92 | Over Ear Closed Back Monitoring Headphone by SaturnVuk
- › ORIVETI NEW PRIMACY - Premium Triple Driver Hybrid HiFi IEM Headphones by Hisoundfi
- › Accutone Gemini HD by crabdog
- › FiiO F3 Dynamic In-Ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by chompchomps
- › Cayin i5 by piksnz
- › Empire Ears Zeus by ejong7
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear