Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Wanted in Australia - AKG K701/Q701/K702, Sennheiser HD650 & HiFi Man HE-500 Last post on 5/19/13 at 5:27pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- AKG Q701 bass Last post on 10/31/14 at 8:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Still looking for the right pair of headphones: advice? Last post on 12/13/12 at 12:52am in Headphones (full-size)
- I need advice on new cans and amping, so many choices... Last post on 11/30/12 at 7:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for Hi-Fi/AV use Last post on 10/4/12 at 5:03am in Headphones (full-size)
Like HD471i but closed and produce better resonance, better volume, clarity on treble, but none of these descriptions actually help make it sound good..to be honest. And to be honest, t40rp mk2...
Firstly I would like to thank 1More for sending me this sample to review, I always try to write honest reviews, these received over 50hrs of burn-in before review, no differences were...
As list in the summary, I don't like this product, and I will not buy any product from Philips because of the post-sale service. After I tried replacing all of the ear-pieces in the box, I...
Introduction – When I was first looking into a set of computer speakers, many brands tickled my ear but few really caught my eye. Edifier are a perfect example of a brand renowned for their...
Mine developed a noisy right channel after a relatively short time. Cambridge Tech support was poor and customer support was just as bad. This company is pennywise and pound foolish and should...
AKG K702 Impressions. - Page 7
Gear mentioned in this thread:
About a week ago, the Woo WA6 arrived. I'm running it from my computer via usb to a HeadRoom Micro DAC to the WA6. I am new to this headphone game, so I picked the Micro because it had optical, usb, and coaxial inputs. Many others don't offer all three. It's very compact, truly a space saver. I have no idea if it has "synergy" as compared to some other combination.
This set up sounds awesome to me. For example, on Santana's "Supernatural" in DVD Audio, there is a song featuring Everlast called "Put Your Lights On". The acoustic guitar intro chords have the sweetest, most three dimensional sound and the vocals are so detailed and natural. The whole album sounds amazing. I would say this set up sounds pretty amazing with anything I put through it. But there are certain sounds that really stand out. Acoustic instruments, in particular, really shine. Electronic sounds are great too, though. On a trance song called "Cloudwalker", at one point there appears these spiraling electronic squiggles. They sound like they're hanging from the ceiling about 5 feet in front of you. It's very cool. I'll say that you can really tell which recordings were done technically well. I now understand very clearly about the quality of the source issue. It's not that an average recording sounds bad. It's more that a superb recording is mind-blowing. Another thing I'd say is that less busy recordings sound better to me, in general. What I mean by that is recordings wherein not every inch of sonic space is occupied by some sound.
The last thing I'll comment on is comfort. I don't find them to be very comfortable. The leather band that trapezes across the top of your head is very hard and presses against your noggin. Yeah, it's leather. It'll outlast me. But I'd rather have something pliable, soft and breathable resting on my head. Also, the ear pads aren't very soft. What I do like is that your ears can roam free inside them as there's a ton of space. I feel like comfort should be a foregone conclusion at this point in the evolution of headphone design. They should sit on your head and envelope your ears in a virtually un-noticeable manner. I don't know why they couldn't have made the earcups out of the squishy/jel-like/foam. It would conform to your head more easily and be much softer. Maybe it detracts from the sound somehow.
All in all, I'm very pleased with what I came up with. When I listen to a superior recording of some great music, it's audio ecstacy
The AKG Nazis will be here shortly to harp on how terrible your hearing is and the total lack of bass they have even though you have confirmed you have satisfactorily accepted their presentation. It's just their way of participating so take them with a deer block of salt and enjoy the wit.
Lol, a "Deer block of Salt" Lol. Funny. I bet most people don't even know what a salt lick/deer block is.
That would be me then, lol. How would these cans sound when hooked up to an Audio GD Sparrow or maybe an Icon Audio HP8?
I'm running the 702 with the new Schiit Vahalla Tube Headphone Amp. Superb on everything. Check out the Schiit/702 combo. The Vahalla was voiced with the AKG 701. All my music sounds silkier, more detailed and with better midrange body and bass.
I hadn't heard of Schiit until your post. Reading their website makes me think the Valhalla would be worth a punt after I get the 702's. I certainly like the price and valves really do appeal, for whatever reason. Thanks for the heads-up.
For portable music player "Philips Muse" http://www.philips.co.uk/c/mp3-and-mp4-players/gogear-muse-32-gb-sa2mus32s_02/prd/
Should i get K 702 (62 ohms) or K 601 (120 ohms)?
both are 200 mW max
Neither. Both require quite a powerful desktop amp to sound great. They'll both still sound good straight from the Muse, but IMO it would be a waste of money to get the K7/601 for portable use.
Is there hi-fi integrated player with good output (don't need amp), flac support, large touch sensitive screen and menu interface like portable players?
I do not like the look of HiFiMAN, sorry it's my personal opinion.
I guess such sound comes out only from 10 KG large box http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuJlgs0SQnw
I can get amp later, but witch one is less power hungry for now, is it the 120 ohm, because 62 needs more current i think
Marantz NA7004 has flac support http://www.marantz.eu/en/products/284/na7004/
for $800 is it better than portable player + amp, but there is no interface to dig fast in large music collection, and not even harddrive / flash memory inside.
The Cowon J3 looks like it fits your needs, but even with that, I still would not recommend either of those two. Even with a portable amp, they will not be driven to their maximum performance. As for which one is harder to drive, I only currently own the K701. From what I've read, the K601 is also a tough headphone to amp properly. To check and see if an (portable) amp is suitable for those two, look at its output for each of the impedance levels of the headphones. The K701 needs at least around 300 or 400mw. I assume the K601 is similar. My matrix m stage supplies about 400mw to the K701, but even then I have it set to the 2nd highest gain.
Also something to think about, the K601 has a bit different sonic signature to the K701 (from what I've read, not my own experience). The bass is supposed to be a touch more pronounced, along with the mids a bit more forward. A lot of people prefer it and the K501 to the K701.
Well, 601 band does not have the bumps, so you won't have to worry about that, but you may still find it a bit stiff on your head as there's really not much padding. Depends on your tolerance level.
I'd personally have the K601 style headband any day over the K701 horror bumps.
- AKG K702 Impressions.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New... 1 minute ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 2 minutes ago
- › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons) 3 minutes ago
- › Havi b3 pro 1 thread 2.0 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here. 4 minutes ago
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris! 4 minutes ago
- › FS: Schiit Asgard 2 4 minutes ago
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 6 minutes ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 6 minutes ago
- › German Maestro GMP 8.40 D Professional by mien
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by ostewart
- › Philips Fidelio S2 by Jemuillot
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by ryanjsoo
- › Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic Plus by hankaberle
- › Accutone Pavo by Cinder
- › Little Dot MK III by Beztis
- › Logitech UE 6000 by Malfunkt
- › Alpha & Delta D2 by bhazard
- › Brainwavz Jive by B9Scrambler
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...