Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Talk me out of The Beats By Dre.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Talk me out of The Beats By Dre. - Page 6

post #76 of 102

The new denon d1100 is at 200 dollars and needs no amp, is very portable and reviews state that it even has more bass than the d200 and the d500 (3x-5x more bass)

post #77 of 102

I tried out the Beats vs. Bose QC 15 at the Apple Store the other day.  

 

Hands down, in all categories, the Bose was far superior.  They were more comfortable, had a wider range and much more controlled at the low end.  The Beats were bassy alright, but it was flopping all over the place and sounded very, very muddy.

 

Monster claims them to be noise canceling.  No way.  I discerned no difference when I turned them on/off with no music playing.  The Bose was FAR superior in N/C, so if removing the hum of a jet engine, car, A/C etc. is important to you, go Bose.

 

Mind you, there are better headphones out there than Bose for $300... but not if you want noise canceling.  

post #78 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riku540 View Post

Everyone knows this is a year and a half old thread right?



Yeah, but it's just ridiculous how many people say that certain cans are muddy, but just maybe they're supposed to be like that?

One man's mud is another man's gold.

Now, I've never tried the beats myself, so it may be absolute crap like the ppl here say.

Yes, Monster is an overpriced cable company. 

Yes, Dre is probably getting paid a lot of royalties for having used his name, and therefore skimped on quality.

 

But somehow, I don't think it's a garbage as people say.

1. I'm a basshead.

2. A company can make a quality phone just by using economies of scale.  By selling 10x as many phones, can knock down half the price. 

3. People on head-fi are notorious bass haters.

 

I'm a basshead.

post #79 of 102

people on head-fi are bass haters is the part where u lost me.

 

u should checkout the thread Bass impact is all i asked for in life. its 1 long thread for people that hate bass

post #80 of 102

Riku540's point, I believe, is that we're necroing an old thread which was started for the purpose of affecting the OP's purchasing decision. Therefore it's unlikely to have any relevance to the original topic (but of course, the discussion that followed certainly seems to carry some weight).

 

As for your points about the Beats: an evaluation that they sound muddy doesn't mean everyone will not like the way they sound. But the evaluation may still be accurate; after all, we can only say one headphone is muddy in relation to most other headphones we have tried. In the same vein, one could definitely say Beyerdynamic DT 880 is a bright headphone, and this statement is accurate independent of whether I like it, or not.

 

As for whether Dr Dre is "listening to his music wrong", I don't think anyone is saying that (at least in this thread)...but again, the discussion isn't so much centred on Dr Dre. Does he sincerely think the headphones are good? I don't know. What is beyond debate is that he has given public endorsement of it, and that he gains from this endorsement financially. That isn't necessarily good or bad, them's just the facts.

 

I would like to take you to task on 2 points, however: 

1. The claim that "people on Head-Fi are notorious bass-haters". Actually this isn't true. There's been an influx of new members lately, many of whom ask for recommendations on bassy headphones. And the fact that there are lengthy discussions on the bass and sub-bass reproduction on products such as the JH13 vs the JH16 (for example) further highlights that there are indeed people here, both new and old, who do like bass. They may not be bassheads--though some likely are--but they are certainly not bass-haters.

2. You have not tried the Beats yourself. I kept an open mind about these slick, flashy headphones until I tried them--and now I can say with certainty that I think they're both overpriced and sub-par. You really owe it to yourself to try them out.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarkang View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Riku540 View Post

Everyone knows this is a year and a half old thread right?



Yeah, but it's just ridiculous how many people say that certain cans are muddy, but just maybe they're supposed to be like that?

One man's mud is another man's gold.

Now, I've never tried the beats myself, so it may be absolute crap like the ppl here say.

Yes, Monster is an overpriced cable company. 

Yes, Dre is probably getting paid a lot of royalties for having used his name, and therefore skimped on quality.

 

But somehow, I don't think it's a garbage as people say.

1. I'm a basshead.

2. A company can make a quality phone just by using economies of scale.  By selling 10x as many phones, can knock down half the price. 

3. People on head-fi are notorious bass haters.

 

I'm a basshead.

post #81 of 102

Yeah, the bass haters comment is just outright wrong and obviously thrown out there groundlessly. A great deal of our members love bass or consider themselves bassheads. It's not a matter of how much bass but the quality of bass. There's tight, quick, detailed and impactful bass, and then there's... bass.

post #82 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagiCans View Post

For $300, I would have gone with the SR-325is.

Awesome.


this guy got it right.

post #83 of 102


It's funny that yesterday when I tried the Beats for the first and last time, I had just left the audio place and had a newly purchased pair of SR-325i's in my vehicle...lol...and that was my thought exactly. I just spent $125 less but got something a million times better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cck5 View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by MagiCans View Post

For $300, I would have gone with the SR-325is.

Awesome.


this guy got it right.

post #84 of 102

It's absurd to think anyone here really "hates" bass.  I think we all can appreciate a nice low end; lose it, and you have no balanced sound.

 

Trouble happens when we try and duplicate that awesome, visceral bass from a live performance or a good loudspeaker setup.  You simply cannot do that with headphones, and cranking up the bass won't help.  What we seek is a nice, balanced sound with the bass being "controlled" - i.e. it's very present and detailed.  Some like a bit more bass than other and adjust accordingly.  That's fine, but you shouldn't have to crank up the bass just to hear it, nor should you have to turn it down in order to stop your skull from vibrating.

 

e.g. I was just listening to the Beatles "Across the Universe" with Senn 600.  There is a very low, almost subsonic beat emanating from left of center.  Very subtle yet quite effective - once you can hear it.  I suspect with Monster's phones it would be a bit painful to endure, at least for me.

post #85 of 102

I listened to the Beats in-store on their setup with loud or really loud only volume settings and even on the just loud setting they were distorting. Sounded like they couldn't handle the really loud setting the people at Monster chose and the drivers were damaged from it. Seriously, all three of my headphone sets cost me about $200.00 CAD and all three have better SQ than the $300.00 Beats. Beats are for suckers and Monster is the king of conning suckers in the audio world.

post #86 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandrewka View Post


e.g. I was just listening to the Beatles "Across the Universe" with Senn 600.  There is a very low, almost subsonic beat emanating from left of center.  Very subtle yet quite effective - once you can hear it.  I suspect with Monster's phones it would be a bit painful to endure, at least for me.


You mean John Lennon's Across the Universe? He wrote that after he left the Beatles and the best version is actually him and Bowie doing it on the Young Americans album. Best SQ recording of the song and best rendition of the song, IMO, but my opinion is fact. ;)

post #87 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_C View Post


As for whether Dr Dre is "listening to his music wrong", I don't think anyone is saying that (at least in this thread)...but again, the discussion isn't so much centred on Dr Dre. Does he sincerely think the headphones are good? I don't know. What is beyond debate is that he has given public endorsement of it, and that he gains from this endorsement financially. That isn't necessarily good or bad, them's just the facts.

 


 


Dr Dre does RAP, wtf would any rap artist who sample other peoples music and alter it and add some unintelligible gibberish to the mix know about good SQ? Just because the person is famous for mixing rap albums doesn't make them an expert on good SQ. In fact, he probably has really bad hearing from all that drum and bass at extremely loud levels over the years. Just because someone is a musician is no qualification that they know good SQ from bad SQ either. Dr Dre is just another greedy DP.

post #88 of 102

Mis-post.


Edited by Nubster - 12/8/10 at 11:01am
post #89 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastido View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by dandrewka View Post


e.g. I was just listening to the Beatles "Across the Universe" with Senn 600.  There is a very low, almost subsonic beat emanating from left of center.  Very subtle yet quite effective - once you can hear it.  I suspect with Monster's phones it would be a bit painful to endure, at least for me.


You mean John Lennon's Across the Universe? He wrote that after he left the Beatles and the best version is actually him and Bowie doing it on the Young Americans album. Best SQ recording of the song and best rendition of the song, IMO, but my opinion is fact. ;)


Maybe so, but George Martin chose to add that near subsonic beat to the Beatles' version, the one I was referring to.  I doubt he was also the producer on the Bowie/Lennon collaboration.

post #90 of 102

Bastido, I think you misread my post. I said nobody was saying that Dre listens to his music wrong--which does not mean anyone here thinks he's doing it right either. It was a statement of neutrality.

 

Let me state for the record that I don't know if Dre is any good as a producer or an artist. I don't listen to rap and I couldn't care less whether he's great or rubbish.

Let me also state that I do know just because someone is paid to do something, it doesn't mean they're particularly competent at it. Keeping on the topic of the music industry, it's plain to see that some singers (e.g.: Ashlee Simpson, of the top of my head) can't really sing, and I wouldn't lend their words much weight when it comes to vocal technique, etc.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastido View Post


Dr Dre does RAP, wtf would any rap artist who sample other peoples music and alter it and add some unintelligible gibberish to the mix know about good SQ? Just because the person is famous for mixing rap albums doesn't make them an expert on good SQ. In fact, he probably has really bad hearing from all that drum and bass at extremely loud levels over the years. Just because someone is a musician is no qualification that they know good SQ from bad SQ either. Dr Dre is just another greedy DP.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Talk me out of The Beats By Dre.