Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › The Woo Audio 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Woo Audio 2 - Page 9

post #121 of 1039
Thank You for all useful informations here and all the stuff.
I have ordered my Woo2 few days ago - can't wait for it

I hope it will be finally good amp for my GS1000. Previously I been using Yamamoto HA-02 and RudiStor NX33 which wasn't in good synergy to GS1000.
post #122 of 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallow81 View Post
Thank You for all useful informations here and all the stuff.
I have ordered my Woo2 few days ago - can't wait for it

I hope it will be finally good amp for my GS1000. Previously I been using Yamamoto HA-02 and RudiStor NX33 which wasn't in good synergy to GS1000.
Did you order the stock version or did you maxxx or upgrade...?
post #123 of 1039
Does anyone show about the Tungsram E88CC and if they would sound as good as the Amperex 6DJ8s?
post #124 of 1039
Has anyone compared the Woo2 to the Zana Deux?
post #125 of 1039
Most of the relevant posts at Tube Asylum speak quite highly of the Tungsram E88CC.

I'm discovering that in the WA2, "better" is not exactly easy to pin down; the amp seems to bring out the best in a wide range of tubes. (I just wrote in another thread that after some initial problems, I'm totally blown away by RCA 7DJ8s, which apparently were made by Mullard and Amperex.)

I'm curious about the Tungsrams too. Unless there's a clear-cut electrical issue (for me, 6CG7 or 6FW8), it almost seems like you can't really go badly wrong with tube rolling the WA2.
post #126 of 1039
Gvvt - so the 7DJ8 is a (safe) direct drop in for the WA2?
post #127 of 1039
It appears to be. I didn't ask Jack specifically about this, but he assured me that the Russian 6N2P was a drop in replacement, and from what I've read, I think the Russian tube is considerably more problematic.

As I understand it, the only difference between the 6DJ8 and the 7DJ8 is that the heater on the latter tube is supposed to run at 7.3 V instead of 6.3 V. According to a discussion on Tube Asylum, this is within the allowable variance for the tube. He says he has Amperex 6DJ8s that are actually 7DJ8s. Tubes Asylum: RE: The Flying Saucer by TimB5881

I've read two "explanations": one is that the heater runs at a lower voltage and therefore the tube should last longer; the other is that the heater draw is within tolerances and is no issue. In the short time I've been trying them, I haven't seen any evidence of a problem, and the discussions seem to indicate that this is a safe substitution.

Then again, I'm a musicologist and know nothing about electric circuits; my best guess is that they're some form of magic. You might want to check with Jack. Or Jamato8.
post #128 of 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by nauxolo View Post
So very very close to pulling the trigger on this one... but if only for the pre-amp function over the WA6. Has anyone yet had the opportunity to try that function out compared to other dedicated pre-amps? Thanks
I know this is a week too late, but just FYI, Jack will stick a pre-out on the WA6 if you want. He might even do a selector.

And my WA2 is my preamp and my headphone amp - I couldn't be happier.
post #129 of 1039
I'm ready for a amp upgrade, and the WA2 has caught my eyes.
My GS1000 is my primary concern when thinking about what would match my 'phones, and with the positivity concerning the GS1000 and WA2 combo, I'm intrigued.
But I have a question: As this amp is OTL, It's supposed to be better suited for higher impedance 'phones, and therefore people, Skylab amongst others, are saying it would be a bad match with the lower imp. grados. So how come it performes so well with GS1000 (32 ohms)?
Has anybody tried the WA2 with any other lower imp. 'phones, like audio-technicas or lower grados ?
post #130 of 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by limpidglitch View Post
I'm ready for a amp upgrade, and the WA2 has caught my eyes.
My GS1000 is my primary concern when thinking about what would match my 'phones, and with the positivity concerning the GS1000 and WA2 combo, I'm intrigued.
But I have a question: As this amp is OTL, It's supposed to be better suited for higher impedance 'phones, and therefore people, Skylab amongst others, are saying it would be a bad match with the lower imp. grados. So how come it performes so well with GS1000 (32 ohms)?
Has anybody tried the WA2 with any other lower imp. 'phones, like audio-technicas or lower grados ?
I'd say even though there is an impedance mismatch, the WA2 still probably goes a good job of driving low impedance headphones. I'd still like to see a comparison between a WA6-SE and WA2 though.
post #131 of 1039
From all the 'phones I have spoken to various people about which are used with the WA2, the GS1000 comes up the most and is said to have phenomenal synergy. This is also with the "previous" WA2 model, prior to the upgrades in the power supply and the change of rectifier from 6X4 to EZ80. Those two changes are said to make it handle low impedance headphones even better.
post #132 of 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by limpidglitch View Post
But I have a question: As this amp is OTL, It's supposed to be better suited for higher impedance 'phones, and therefore people, Skylab amongst others, are saying it would be a bad match with the lower imp. grados. So how come it performes so well with GS1000 (32 ohms)?
Has anybody tried the WA2 with any other lower imp. 'phones, like audio-technicas or lower grados ?
I'm currently trying LA7000 and the stock Denons (32 ohms) with WA2. Impressions with pics forthcoming shortly, probably today. But no need to prolong the suspense: WA2 can drive these handily, so no worries.
post #133 of 1039
sweet! My wallet is trembling
post #134 of 1039
i spent most of the recent charlotte canfest with my woo2 (stock with upgraded tubes) and the woo6 SE.

woo2 has a much wider soundstage, whereas the woo6 SE is upfront and maybe a little bit deeper.

the sound from the woo audio is much warmer and faster than the woo 6 SE, though the woo 6 SE is much more detailed and revealing - it's far from cold, but it's not as colored as the woo 2.

the sound of both units is very close - especially with 650s. however with 701s i felt the woo 6 SE was very lean sounding.
post #135 of 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by swoon View Post
i spent most of the recent charlotte canfest with my woo2 (stock with upgraded tubes) and the woo6 SE.

woo2 has a much wider soundstage, whereas the woo6 SE is upfront and maybe a little bit deeper.

the sound from the woo audio is much warmer and faster than the woo 6 SE, though the woo 6 SE is much more detailed and revealing - it's far from cold, but it's not as colored as the woo 2.

the sound of both units is very close - especially with 650s. however with 701s i felt the woo 6 SE was very lean sounding.
You know, I bet that the differences could be reversed with a change of tubes in one or both of those amps.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › The Woo Audio 2