- 4 Posts. Joined 9/2008
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Is This CMOY Amp and Crossfeed Circuit Any Good? Last post on 9/28/12 at 5:07pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Portable amp below $50? Last post on 1/6/12 at 6:06pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- best portable amp with no hiss (under 60 dollars)? Last post on 9/19/11 at 8:55pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- PIMETA v2 or CmoyBB as first project? Last post on 8/1/11 at 2:26pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- fiio e11, e5, or cmoybb Last post on 8/26/11 at 3:05pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
HIFIMAN SuperMini review (PHOTOS TO FOLLOW SOON...) Oct 2016 INTRO Just some background on me with previous experience of daps and why I’ve arrived here at this point in...
First of all, above any other factor, these are just SO COMFORTABLE!! There are very expensive headphones I used that sound really good but feel like someone is trying to crush my head. These have...
I think it is more of a smartphone gadget, than audiophiles device. It has the potential to save battery power when listening with portable devices. My subjective review of the sound: A little...
Introduction Simgot is a new name in Asian audio that is getting some attention with their new EN700 model. Supposedly, some that were involved in tuning the Ostry IEMs have tuned this one, so...
Have had these for a loooong time. Now that I've got older ears, I don't really hear the beautiful crystal-like treble anymore, but I'm sure it's still there. :)
- Headphone Impedance
JDS Labs CMOY AMP vs BIOSCIENCEGEEK
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Has anyone used both the JDS Labs AND the Biosciencegeek cMoy's? I'm looking to possibly pick up my first cMoy soon, and I'm wondering if the Bass Boost in the JDS Labs is worth the extra $15, or if it just muddies up the sound.
Edited by TiredChildren - 10/15/10 at 9:03pm
Haven't used the BSG CMoy and won't make any assumptions about its sound quality versus the JDS Labs CMoy but I can say that the Bass Boost function is very clean and doesn't muddy up the sound. If anything, it might lower the treble response a tad based on what I've read but, unless the difference is there and I just haven't trained my ears to hear it, I can't discern a difference in the treble performance either way.
Am using the BSG Cmoy as I write, under the following configuration:
Etymotic ER-4P > S Cable (75 Ohm impedance resistor for a total of 100 Ohms) > BSG Cmoy (powered by DC, not battery) > SendStation Line Out > iPod Nano 4th Gen.
The amp is stupendously tremendously fantastically awesome.
Sound is decent, as the Nano uses a "decent" op amp chip, I am told by a Head-Fier who works at Apple, and of course the Etymotics are no slouch. However, the sound can be a little dead in comparison, of course, to running my Nano through a real amp. (I use the Glow Audio One tube amp). The Etymotics are awesome, but they only do what the source gives them, and in this case straight from the Nano they are a little 2-dimensional: great sound, nice panning, but little depth.
Nano w/ BSG Cmoy:
Sound is totally transformed. I don't use the words carelessly: it sounds like a different setup entirely. Clarity is totally restored and musical detail springs to life; in comparison, the Nano alone sounds totally muddled. Increased treble response. Bass deepens in the likes that I've never heard my ER-4 actually do, and I've owned them 6 years. Best of all, the sound becomes utterly 3D, with incredible lifelike depth and extremely broad soundstage.
I never cease to be impressed with what the Etymotic ER-4 is truly capable of when given the right source material, but the BSG Cmoy stretches it to new limits I've never imagined.
I ran the BSG with my AKG K701, both stock and with a 235 resistance cable (290 total), and a friend's Beyerdynamic DT880 600-ohm version, and did not much like the sound. I'm a tube guy, so that may be it. But, with the ER-4 IEM as I said, it was heaven. Especially for travel, as I'm not lugging my 15-pound partly glass Glow with me on trips!
Listen to Koulzelna!
The BSG Cmoy is downright excellent. Apparently the guy making it knows what he's doing - considering he's a pro in the field. I've considered getting the JDS version with the aforementioned bass boost, but am unsure if his amp maxes out at a 300ohm load. However, the BSG solid state is the finest I've ever put my ears to, world-class sound if you favor solid state.
I own a bass boost Cmoy from HPA labs and couldn't be happier with it, when I bought it I turned the bass boost setting on and haven't touched it since. It doesn't distort the sound whatsoever.
Edited by Red Haze - 10/16/10 at 4:36am
Oh, I have. The JDS Labs one takes the cake. It seems to be a touch more dynamic in the midrange and the highs have a slightly more defined edge than the BSG. The bass is exquisite on both, tight and resolving. The JDS labs can output more power as well with a 17v AC adapter compared to the 15v max on the BSG. Besides the very useful bass boost on the JDS Labs, they are very similar sounding and you can't really go wrong with either one. However, I do find that 100ohm+ cans seem to do excellent when it comes to power since these Cmoy's can output some serious voltage - which is what high-impedance cans need.
They seem to struggle and cause distortion early with lower impedance phones. It's quite irritating to say the least.
- JDS Labs CMOY AMP vs BIOSCIENCEGEEK
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk & Monk Plus: a $5 earbud that taking... 25 seconds ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 42 seconds ago
- › Breaking News: HE1000 V2 59 seconds ago
- › Looking for recommendations for my first headphones. 1 minute ago
- › Bose QC35 Wireless Noise-Cancelling Headphones 1 minute ago
- › Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 3 minutes ago
- › LG V20 Sound Quality 3 minutes ago
- › The DIY'rs Cookbook 4 minutes ago
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 5 minutes ago
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by FortisFlyer75
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by Peter Zhang
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by Headzone
- › SIMGOT EN700 In Ear Dynamic Earphone 24Ω Original ... by bhazard
- › Sony MDR-CD2000 CD Series Headphones by leroik
- › iFi Pro iCAN by ostewart
- › Sennheiser HD 590 Headphones by aafanatic
- › HiFiMAN Megamini by glassmonkey
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by suman134
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by ph0n6
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...