- 4 Posts. Joined 9/2008
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Is This CMOY Amp and Crossfeed Circuit Any Good? Last post on 9/28/12 at 5:07pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Portable amp below $50? Last post on 1/6/12 at 6:06pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- best portable amp with no hiss (under 60 dollars)? Last post on 9/19/11 at 8:55pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- PIMETA v2 or CmoyBB as first project? Last post on 8/1/11 at 2:26pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- fiio e11, e5, or cmoybb Last post on 8/26/11 at 3:05pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Me: I am an amateur musician & avid admirer of music. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time passed,...
First off, I got the E80 on loan from a generous fellow headfi'er. You know who you are. Thanks! I have absolutely no connection to SoundMagic and have no incentive to compose this review...
The Blackwood and Cherrywood side by side. Overall view of what this review consisted of. First of all, I’d like to thank Zach for supplying the Omni for this...
Everybody knows Sennheiser. They are doing great job at delivering good sound for all prices. I am doing this review with price factor in thought. First of all it is suprisingly detailed sounding...
Wow. There doesn’t seem to be a more appropriate way to word the beginning of this review, than to simply express my genuine surprise, and indeed – to a certain extent – admiration of the UMi Voix...
- Headphone Impedance
JDS Labs CMOY AMP vs BIOSCIENCEGEEK
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Has anyone used both the JDS Labs AND the Biosciencegeek cMoy's? I'm looking to possibly pick up my first cMoy soon, and I'm wondering if the Bass Boost in the JDS Labs is worth the extra $15, or if it just muddies up the sound.
Edited by TiredChildren - 10/15/10 at 9:03pm
Haven't used the BSG CMoy and won't make any assumptions about its sound quality versus the JDS Labs CMoy but I can say that the Bass Boost function is very clean and doesn't muddy up the sound. If anything, it might lower the treble response a tad based on what I've read but, unless the difference is there and I just haven't trained my ears to hear it, I can't discern a difference in the treble performance either way.
Am using the BSG Cmoy as I write, under the following configuration:
Etymotic ER-4P > S Cable (75 Ohm impedance resistor for a total of 100 Ohms) > BSG Cmoy (powered by DC, not battery) > SendStation Line Out > iPod Nano 4th Gen.
The amp is stupendously tremendously fantastically awesome.
Sound is decent, as the Nano uses a "decent" op amp chip, I am told by a Head-Fier who works at Apple, and of course the Etymotics are no slouch. However, the sound can be a little dead in comparison, of course, to running my Nano through a real amp. (I use the Glow Audio One tube amp). The Etymotics are awesome, but they only do what the source gives them, and in this case straight from the Nano they are a little 2-dimensional: great sound, nice panning, but little depth.
Nano w/ BSG Cmoy:
Sound is totally transformed. I don't use the words carelessly: it sounds like a different setup entirely. Clarity is totally restored and musical detail springs to life; in comparison, the Nano alone sounds totally muddled. Increased treble response. Bass deepens in the likes that I've never heard my ER-4 actually do, and I've owned them 6 years. Best of all, the sound becomes utterly 3D, with incredible lifelike depth and extremely broad soundstage.
I never cease to be impressed with what the Etymotic ER-4 is truly capable of when given the right source material, but the BSG Cmoy stretches it to new limits I've never imagined.
I ran the BSG with my AKG K701, both stock and with a 235 resistance cable (290 total), and a friend's Beyerdynamic DT880 600-ohm version, and did not much like the sound. I'm a tube guy, so that may be it. But, with the ER-4 IEM as I said, it was heaven. Especially for travel, as I'm not lugging my 15-pound partly glass Glow with me on trips!
Listen to Koulzelna!
The BSG Cmoy is downright excellent. Apparently the guy making it knows what he's doing - considering he's a pro in the field. I've considered getting the JDS version with the aforementioned bass boost, but am unsure if his amp maxes out at a 300ohm load. However, the BSG solid state is the finest I've ever put my ears to, world-class sound if you favor solid state.
I own a bass boost Cmoy from HPA labs and couldn't be happier with it, when I bought it I turned the bass boost setting on and haven't touched it since. It doesn't distort the sound whatsoever.
Edited by Red Haze - 10/16/10 at 4:36am
Oh, I have. The JDS Labs one takes the cake. It seems to be a touch more dynamic in the midrange and the highs have a slightly more defined edge than the BSG. The bass is exquisite on both, tight and resolving. The JDS labs can output more power as well with a 17v AC adapter compared to the 15v max on the BSG. Besides the very useful bass boost on the JDS Labs, they are very similar sounding and you can't really go wrong with either one. However, I do find that 100ohm+ cans seem to do excellent when it comes to power since these Cmoy's can output some serious voltage - which is what high-impedance cans need.
They seem to struggle and cause distortion early with lower impedance phones. It's quite irritating to say the least.
- JDS Labs CMOY AMP vs BIOSCIENCEGEEK
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 8 seconds ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 22 seconds ago
- › Introducing the Aurisonics Auris 41 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 IEM Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Westone UM PRO Series Thread 3 minutes ago
- › UE 5 Pro vs. CE4P ? 3 minutes ago
- › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review) 4 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . New... 7 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 7 minutes ago
- › MATRIX M-Stage HPA-3B Class A Full Balance Headphone Amp by YoYo JoKeR
- › Soundmagic E80 in-ear monitor headphone by nmatheis
- › ZMF Headphones Omni by Jjacq
- › Sennheiser - Sennheiser CX 200 Street II by Gonomon
- › UMI Voix Blu by Rashmosh
- › Q Cables by Mediahound
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by goodyfresh
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by Hisoundfi
- › Apogee GROOVE Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier for Mac and PC by acain
- › Noble Audio Savant by Brooko
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3