Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › 24/96 can it be converted to Apple Lossless?? HD Tracks question.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

24/96 can it be converted to Apple Lossless?? HD Tracks question.

post #1 of 36
Thread Starter 
I have both a Wadia iTransport/ipod and secondary PC running foobar 2000 Trends + Dac+amp. Most of the music I download is high end FLAC or ALAC Apple Lossless for the ITransport. My question is: if I download the new 24/96 format in FLAC from HDtracs can I convert it to Apple lossless with no loss in quality? If so, what is the best software for the job.
post #2 of 36
AFAIK, there won't be because you're going from lossless to lossless.

I like dbpoweramp, or just use foobar2000
post #3 of 36
I had some 24bit 96khz Tool vinyl recordings that I tried to convert from FLAC into ALAC using dbpoweramp and it didn't like it :/
post #4 of 36
Would love to know more about this too...
post #5 of 36
ALAC doesn't support anything higher than 16bit/48khz. You'll have to use FLAC and run Rockbox on the iPod for anything higher if you want to use the Wadia unit, and that's if the iPod will tolerate higher than 16/48, which I do not know it will. There are processing issues with FLAC at 16/41 on certain iPods, my iPod photo will not play them properly.

ALAC thru your PC as a transport should be fine, up to 24/192 stereo. So long as your soundcard supports it.
post #6 of 36
^ is the iPod issue relevant when using the Wadia? Shame about ALAC though, I knew it was limited, but thought it might go a bit further than 16/48
post #7 of 36
The Wadia is an irrelevance when the matter for concern is the limitations of the iPod, if the iPod cant recognise the file format, you wont be able to get them onto its database, and if you put them on as files and use rockbox it still might not like reading something its not designed for. CD players read digital from optical discs, and DVD-A contains this type of information, but the CD player cannot process it.
post #8 of 36
You sure can, and there will be no quality loss.
...as to software, I am really not sure if dbpoweramp do what you need. Might be worth a try
post #9 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmathis View Post
You sure can, and there will be no quality loss.
...as to software, I am really not sure if dbpoweramp do what you need. Might be worth a try
No, you cant, and yes, there will be if you do. Kai try reading the content of a thread sometimes before you chime in at the end.
post #10 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggeh View Post
No, you cant, and yes, there will be if you do. Kai try reading the content of a thread sometimes before you chime in at the end.
Well, I am quite sure you are wrong!
Cause I have certainly transcoded 24-bit/96KHz FLAC encoded files to Apple Lossless several times. And they are still 24-bit/96KHz....
The sample files from High Definition Tape Transfers as an example.



Edit: Sorry that I don't catch the post above mentioning that dbpoweramp is not capable.
There are other applications out there capable of transcoding 24/96 FLAC files to Apple Lossless, but the ones I know of are Mac OS X only... Not familiar with MS Windows at all, which I guess the OP run since he/she mention foobar2000.
post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmathis View Post
There are other applications out there capable of transcoding 24/96 FLAC files to Apple Lossless, but the ones I know of are Mac OS X only... Not familiar with MS Windows at all, which I guess the OP run since he/she mention foobar2000.
Wait, so which application did you use? I'm both Mac/Windows.
post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose R View Post
Wait, so which application did you use? I'm both Mac/Windows.
I though I used Max, but gave it a try and it turned out wrong.
Input 24/96 FLAC file and it output 16/96 Apple Lossless files.

This works fine though (resulting in 24/96 Apple Lossless files:
1. Decode the FLAC files using the flac command line binary.
2. Add the WAV files to iTunes, and encode to Apple Lossless.


Verified using the "LiadovPrevin" sample from HDTT: Index of /samplerdownload
post #13 of 36
Wadia iTransport and HD Tracks 24/96 Content

Is there a way to get the new HD Tracks 24/96 Content on to my ipod so that the Wadia iTtransport can resolve the information and export it bit perfect my Benchmark DAC 1 pre???
post #14 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunes View Post
Wadia iTransport and HD Tracks 24/96 Content

Is there a way to get the new HD Tracks 24/96 Content on to my ipod so that the Wadia iTtransport can resolve the information and export it bit perfect my Benchmark DAC 1 pre???
The iPod, at least mine (5G) can't play 24-bit files. iTunes, most certainly can, but the iPod will tell you that it can't sync the songs.
post #15 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunes View Post
Wadia iTransport and HD Tracks 24/96 Content

Is there a way to get the new HD Tracks 24/96 Content on to my ipod so that the Wadia iTtransport can resolve the information and export it bit perfect my Benchmark DAC 1 pre???
No, not without changing the sampling rate.
iPod's will play 24-bit audio, but not with sampling rate above 48KHz.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › 24/96 can it be converted to Apple Lossless?? HD Tracks question.