Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Non-over-the-head non-IEM options?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Non-over-the-head non-IEM options?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
After destroying my Sennheiser PMX100s by accidentally ripping off the cord @ the plug, I'm looking for portable headphones again. Are there any other good options to try out along the lines of the the PMX100 and the Koss KSC75s? Both are very very mortal, as I've found out. I went through 2 pairs of KSCs that died of natural causes; the Sennheisers lasted the longest but died the most spectacular death. My fault though, cable snagged on my way out the bus. Grrr...

I'm looking for something that doesn't have a headband (neckband is OK) but still sounds good. At least semi-closed is preferred since I don't listen loud and don't want sound leaking both ways. Hate earbuds, so none of that.. My source is an iPod, nothing major. Budget is probably ~$100 max.

I'll probably end up ordering a couple more pairs of KSCs off Amazon since I kinda destroyed my two pairs when I attempted to fix them, soo no warranty for me? but I was just wondering if there were any other options around. Looked through a few pages of threads and didn't really see anything that stuck out, sorry if there's a similar topic somewhere...

Thanks
post #2 of 14
Crossroad mylarone?
post #3 of 14
iGrado? I just heard a pair today, with my iPod Touch, and they sound pretty good. They're sturdy too, though they look like cheap plastic.
post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanjong View Post
iGrado? I just heard a pair today, with my iPod Touch, and they sound pretty good. They're sturdy too, though they look like cheap plastic.
How's the bass? I heard a pair of higher-end Grados once (may have been the HF-1, not sure) and didn't really like them. The sound seemed a little thin compared to my KSC75s at the time, unamped and powered by my 5G iPod.

EDIT: I now have a Touch as well
post #5 of 14
Sorry, no idea how the bass was...I played Mozart's Requiem (Rex Tremendae) on them. Heh. That said, they're the same drivers as the SR 60s, which are supposed to be great for rock. So, I imagine the bass would be pretty good. Also, iGrados are "open", but they don't seem to leak out much. They're surpra-aural, so sound will leak in though. Sealed neckband cans are hard to come by, I imagine. Why not headband?
post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanjong View Post
Sorry, no idea how the bass was...I played Mozart's Requiem (Rex Tremendae) on them. Heh. That said, they're the same drivers as the SR 60s, which are supposed to be great for rock. So, I imagine the bass would be pretty good. Also, iGrados are "open", but they don't seem to leak out much. They're surpra-aural, so sound will leak in though. Sealed neckband cans are hard to come by, I imagine. Why not headband?
Semi-sealed is good too, just as long as they're not as transparent as regular Grados. Would actually prefer semi-sealed to sealed just because it gets hot here on the west coast. Why no neckband? Mostly shallow reasons.. trying to avoid headphone hair and such, since these would be my main portable rig
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Why no neckband? Mostly shallow reasons.. trying to avoid headphone hair and such, since these would be my main portable rig
That's what I thought. When I was shopping for portable cans, that factored heavily into my consideration too. But living in NZ, I didn't think I had that many options for sealed, supra-aural cans. Anyway, I think the iGrados are the way to go, especially at the price. They're OK with glasses on too, if that's a concern. That said, Google search on Head-Fi for other owners' comments on the iGrados. With subjective things like these, truth by majority might not be such a bad thing.
post #8 of 14
with a budget of $100, may I suggest a pair of etymotic er6i's. Great IEM for the money.

(37 more posts to go)
post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repooc View Post
with a budget of $100, may I suggest a pair of etymotic er6i's. Great IEM for the money.

(37 more posts to go)
lol what happens on post #89? I'd prefer to avoid IEMs and earbuds, but thanks
post #10 of 14
Looked up the iGrados yet?
post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanjong View Post
Looked up the iGrados yet?

Well, yes. However, I didn't feel adventurous enough to rock that look, and I didn't want complete acoustic transparency that I kept reading about in regard to the iGrados Ended up ordering a set of KSCs and a set of PMX100s.
post #12 of 14
I guess that's the safe choice, though as you've discovered, they're not very durable. But they do sound great. At least, I think so.
post #13 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanjong View Post
I guess that's the safe choice, though as you've discovered, they're not very durable. But they do sound great. At least, I think so.
Yep I don't get that though. I have two or three pairs of really cheap old low-end Sony behind-the-ear headphones. Both still work, even though they've been used for at least a couple of years. Then I get something that's been designed better and costs more, and it breaks so soon? I should try re-cabling my old KSCs when I'm bored one day ..
post #14 of 14
You know, I was just wondering about that the other day. With the Denons too, people seem to worry about the screws on the D2000/5000, but no such problem exists on the cheap 1001. Go figure.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Non-over-the-head non-IEM options?