Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › another 'what GS-1000 amp?' thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

another 'what GS-1000 amp?' thread

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
I'm selling my Apache, which is wonderful, but too big and too pricey to be sitting around for the amount I use it. So I need another amp for my beloved GS-1000, let's say a price limit of $800; needs to have very low bass but not necessarily great quantity, warm/lush mids, treble not to worried about, just not too harsh.
I like SS amps for convenience, size and so-on. Perhaps the RSA XP-7 or HR-2 given that I like the Apache; I also love the Opera, but I think that's going to be too big, so maybe the Arietta? Built-in crossfeed would be good too. And I've read a lot of good things about the EC/SS + Grados...
On the other hand, it might be nice to try a tube amp. I didn't like the Yamamoto, mind. Anyway, Woo6 is about as big as I can go, but it'd cost a lot to ship it from US and it might get too expensive with the maxing out and nice tubes etc. What about the EC lunchbox?

I know there seem to be hundreds of near-identical threads like this atm but if anyone can offer any advice I'd be most grateful.
post #2 of 15
Your Apache are great looking and the price is super, imo. What do you like about it and what do you not like about it, sound sig I mean. I believe RSA amps are warm/punchy sounding, isn't?

You can check Musical Fidelity X8. I am at the mini meet, coming Saturday, and will try it for myself, so let you know later.

If you can share about Apache, would appreciate, thanks
post #3 of 15
ahhh, so you use the GS1000 too!

good choice! excellant taste!

At $800, I think you might want to look at the WA6 SE which is $950.

The other one that seems to have good review is the Grace m901 headphone amp, which seldom appear on the used section,

did u like the Apache with the GS1000?

I was told from 2 different sources that Ray Samuel's line don't match well with GS1000, how was it for you? Care to give an impression?

I think at $800, for tubes, the headfi forum seems to point towards the WA6... hope it helps
post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 
Apache + GS-1000: I do think they make a lovely sound. Hard to describe I think, doesn't do anything wrong. It's just so immersive. One thing that is particularly great is the wonderful micro-detail and texture - for example, just hearing when a singer breathes in, is perfect. Sound overall is on the warm side; punchy? Certainly has a kick but I don't think I'd necessarily describe it as punchy. Definitely not laid back though.

Anyway. EC/SS is ruled out, just read a few reviews bemoaning recessed mids with the GS-1000, don't want that. What about the Heed canamp? I've seen the m901 and 902 but probably a bit beyond the budget.
Still considering the WA6, don't want the SE - too big - but maxed version... hmmm. maybe.

Thinking probably the HR-2 right now.
post #5 of 15
Thanks for update, cool.

Check Musical Fidelity X8, cos you in UK and its within your budget. You can drop by some hi-fi shop, just take you GS1000 with you


Quote:
Originally Posted by onocentaur View Post
Apache + GS-1000: I do think they make a lovely sound. Hard to describe I think, doesn't do anything wrong. It's just so immersive. One thing that is particularly great is the wonderful micro-detail and texture - for example, just hearing when a singer breathes in, is perfect. Sound overall is on the warm side; punchy? Certainly has a kick but I don't think I'd necessarily describe it as punchy. Definitely not laid back though.

Anyway. EC/SS is ruled out, just read a few reviews bemoaning recessed mids with the GS-1000, don't want that. What about the Heed canamp? I've seen the m901 and 902 but probably a bit beyond the budget.
Still considering the WA6, don't want the SE - too big - but maxed version... hmmm. maybe.

Thinking probably the HR-2 right now.
post #6 of 15
Hey guys,

I am a card-carrying member of the GS1000 fanclub as well. Mine are stock balanced and served up very well by my Apache. Very similar feelings as described by Onocentaur. The singer's breathe intake is something I have also marveled at through this combo!!! Like you Onocentaur, I am considering going back to SE. With an adapter, they sound pretty darn good through my HA5000 and my Leben CS300 although the Leben adds a bit of coloration. Mostly a good thing, a bit more sparkle but it may just be a matter of preference. My Apache really adds most to my HD650s, but I found out that I really am a Grado man and prefer that sound over the Senns. So, something needs to go and while I truly love everything about the Apache, it would give the most financial returns.

Blackmore, I have agreed with nearly every word you have written about the GS1000 so you have my interest seriously peaked about the Zana Deux. But, what a pain to pay for and import that heavy chunk of metal and glass. I would so love to hear your comparison between the Zana and the Apache, but it sounds like you have never heard the two paired. Is that right?

TwoEars has pointed out to me in the past that he has heard recommendations against OTL for the GS1000. But that is the design used for the Zana, right?

Very perplexing.

Have you heard the GS1000 with any of the WooAudio amps?
post #7 of 15
i think the GS1000 should come with a "buy me only if u are interested to pay twice or more that amount for amp..."

anyone care to explain why upgraded power supply is essential for tube amps?

Any kind souls?
post #8 of 15
I enjoyed mine with the woo audio wa6, kind of took off the edge and sounded very natural.
post #9 of 15
u used it with what headphones, mike?
post #10 of 15
Maybe you should try the Mapletree . I use mine GS-1000/SAA Equinox with the Mapletree Ear+ HD. At a good tubes it is very enjoyable combination.
post #11 of 15
No probs. I had OTL before Zana and it was using 12au7 tube and I have spend tons of money to find the right combo with GS1k. Now I have Zana and I believe I am done with tubes. I think the collection I own is pretty much full for any headphone around.
And now to the sound. Zana is more relaxing than my Aspen 823, which I owned, and a lot of people love it with HD650 more than with GS1000. But let me tell you, there are a lot more people around which simply love HD650 more than any Grado, especially GS1k. Yes, there are some reasons for that, true, but there are reasons that I am not really crazy about HD650 to go and buy them as well. However Zana was one of the first amps that bring me very close to like HD650, really, but once again not such to buy them.
As I always said, if you are not ROCK HEAD, GS1000 are your headphones, o.k. GS1000 are simply the best in almost any gengre when I compare to HD650. Zana is very transperent and honest to the record, what more do you need, tell me pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gu Sensei View Post
Blackmore, I have agreed with nearly every word you have written about the GS1000 so you have my interest seriously peaked about the Zana Deux. But, what a pain to pay for and import that heavy chunk of metal and glass. I would so love to hear your comparison between the Zana and the Apache, but it sounds like you have never heard the two paired. Is that right?

TwoEars has pointed out to me in the past that he has heard recommendations against OTL for the GS1000. But that is the design used for the Zana, right?

Very perplexing.

Have you heard the GS1000 with any of the WooAudio amps?
I would say yes, amp, source etc. But here we go again, HD650 costs like USD 300, but some users driving them with USD 2000 amps to get the hell out of them, so GS1k cost 3x more. Does this mean that we can go up to USD 6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoears&oneheart View Post
i think the GS1000 should come with a "buy me only if u are interested to pay twice or more that amount for amp..."

anyone care to explain why upgraded power supply is essential for tube amps?

Any kind souls?
Which tubes are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sture View Post
Maybe you should try the Mapletree . I use mine GS-1000/SAA Equinox with the Mapletree Ear+ HD. At a good tubes it is very enjoyable combination.
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmore View Post



Which tubes are you using?
My favourite tube is Sovtek 12AX7LSP and it's realy cheep. I have many NOS 5751 type tubes for example Raytheon CK, RCA triple mica black plates, GE 5 star triple mica black and grey plates and Gold Brands Sylvania triple mica black plate. But they works better with the RS-1. 12AX7 type tubes can give higher gain and it's better for GS-1000.
post #13 of 15
You may want to try some of the EU brands as well, try Mullards and Telefunkens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sture View Post
My favourite tube is Sovtek 12AX7LSP and it's realy cheep. I have many NOS 5751 type tubes for example Raytheon CK, RCA triple mica black plates, GE 5 star triple mica black and grey plates and Gold Brands Sylvania triple mica black plate. But they works better with the RS-1. 12AX7 type tubes can give higher gain and it's better for GS-1000.
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmore View Post
You may want to try some of the EU brands as well, try Mullards and Telefunkens.
Thanks, but no thanks. Instead I must save my money the Zana Deux and its tube rolling
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoears&oneheart View Post
u used it with what headphones, mike?
gs 1000
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › another 'what GS-1000 amp?' thread