New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DIY beginner - Page 2

post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mow_the_hawk View Post
Thanks. I guess I will start with a Cmoy. I saw Tangets tutorial and I will start to order the parts.
Very good choice. I do agree that soldering is the hardest thing to learn. I started out with a cheapo iron from RadioShack and had all sorts of troubles. If you're really serious about DIY, invest in a good soldering iron. I got a Hakko 936, and it works great!
post #17 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bperboy View Post
Very good choice. I do agree that soldering is the hardest thing to learn. I started out with a cheapo iron from RadioShack and had all sorts of troubles. If you're really serious about DIY, invest in a good soldering iron. I got a Hakko 936, and it works great!
okay. thanks. I will look into it. for now I will probably use one that is in my brothers. It is the cold heat, is that terrible because I think he has a normal one also.

Also, sorry but is there anywhere you can buy a cmoy kit, or just buy the materials from the place tangent's tutorial says to?
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mow_the_hawk View Post
okay. thanks. I will look into it. for now I will probably use one that is in my brothers. It is the cold heat, is that terrible because I think he has a normal one also.

Also, sorry but is there anywhere you can buy a cmoy kit, or just buy the materials from the place tangent's tutorial says to?
I haven't used it myself, but I've heard that the Cold Heat is not very good for just about anything... I don't think there's anywhere to buy a full kit, but one of the processes of DIY is part sourcing, so it's good to get experience now, especially for later when you try and do a six board B22 like I want to. That's a lot of parts!
post #19 of 23
Thread Starter 
haha. thats what I thought. and thanks I guess ill just try to find a website that has most of the parts I need.
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mow_the_hawk View Post
haha. thats what I thought. and thanks I guess ill just try to find a website that has most of the parts I need.
For the CMoy, you can put together a cheap Mouser order, plus a RadioShack if you've got one close.
post #21 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bperboy View Post
For the CMoy, you can put together a cheap Mouser order, plus a RadioShack if you've got one close.
Yeah. There is a RadioShack real close. I'll try there first now.
post #22 of 23
Tangent's site has a lot of good advice about where to get parts. I just completed building my first Cmoy (except for casework). I got my parts from Digikey and Newark. Both orders arrived with a few days of placing the orders.

Also, as others have said -- get a decent soldering iron. Doesn't have to be some $100+ item, but you want one that will have a small enough tip for the work you are doing. I ended up buying a Weller for about $50 at Fry's. If I continue and end up building a lot more things, I can see in time buying a much nicer iron, but this Weller is actually pretty good right now.
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruZZ.il View Post
hehe fordgtlover you lucky b.tard, you're overtaking me! I really want to build a populated s22 now too but I dont really want to spend the $$ and my summer vacation is running out;/ I'm just going to build my other MAX, some dacs and miniminiminis to keep myself busy.. next summer I'll take on something a little heftier btw, thanks for that ipod connector tutorial.. I use the pic with the pins to avoid confusion.
I do feel lucky. I took the plunge and I have ordered all the parts. I'll probably spend the next couple of months building them all up - between work, family and study.

No probs about the ipod connector information. I am a visual person so I did the pic for my reference first and figured others might find it useful.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home