Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax thread (New)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Stax thread (New) - Page 1537  

post #23041 of 24765

My Lambda Pro's don't even have the foam intact no more, I had to completely take it all out because it was dropping bits of sticky aged foam residue everywhere so it's only got the yellow acoustic wool intact for dust protection but I couldn't hear any sound differences when I took it out.

post #23042 of 24765
Alright, thanks for the help.
I was more worried about them getting damaged from dust.
post #23043 of 24765

The drivers already have a dust protector glued onto the back end. This doesn't mean that you can just not take care of the earspeakers though.

post #23044 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

The drivers already have a dust protector glued onto the back end. This doesn't mean that you can just not take care of the earspeakers though.
Ok, so even if a bit of foam is gone, that will protect the drivers? Thanks.
I do plan on taking care of them, but if I can avoid having to open and mess around with them, I'd like to.
I'm getting one of those dust covers also, for when it's not in use.
Is there anything else I should be doing to care for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

1. Buy a replacement pair from StaxUSA for around $30.
I don't see this in staxusa, is there somewhere else I should look?

Thanks for all the help.
Edited by ultimanium - 6/17/13 at 3:59pm
post #23045 of 24765

The foam is not the same as the dust cover and does not protect against it. The drivers are protected by a thin plastic film on the outside of the drivers to protect against dust. Storing the phones in a plastic bag as additional protection doesn't hurt and may help, so I do that.

post #23046 of 24765
Alright, thanks, I do plan on storing them in a Stax CPC1.
post #23047 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michgelsen View Post

I am aware of that and appreciate your concern (really), but I see no alternative in my case. The equipment is not faulty.

OK,
no problem!
post #23048 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimanium View Post

I don't see this in staxusa, is there somewhere else I should look?

Thanks for all the help.

You need to email them specifically which they will probably point you to Yamasinc. I recently got into touch with my Stax distributor about the borked left side imbalance with my 404 Sig's. They also mentioned that the Scott filter foam (technically 10ppi reticulated foam) can also be purchased a pair for AUD$30. 

post #23049 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

You need to email them specifically which they will probably point you to Yamasinc. I recently got into touch with my Stax distributor about the borked left side imbalance with my 404 Sig's. They also mentioned that the Scott filter foam (technically 10ppi reticulated foam) can also be purchased a pair for AUD$30. 
Thanks. If its not going to hurt them as long as I take care of it, I'll probably just leave it.
Anything else I should do aside from covering it when not in use?
post #23050 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimanium View Post


Thanks. If its not going to hurt them as long as I take care of it, I'll probably just leave it.
Anything else I should do aside from covering it when not in use?

Yeah it's not worth replacing the foam unless you're OCD with the condition and/or a collector. 

 

Besides covering the headphone make sure it isn't in anywhere that is under constant heat (i.e. your computer exhaust fans or such), make sure it also well away from sunlight and humid/dust areas. Generally I store my stuff away in there original boxes or enclosures if not under use.

post #23051 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

Yeah it's not worth replacing the foam unless you're OCD with the condition and/or a collector. 

Besides covering the headphone make sure it isn't in anywhere that is under constant heat (i.e. your computer exhaust fans or such), make sure it also well away from sunlight and humid/dust areas. Generally I store my stuff away in there original boxes or enclosures if not under use.


I'll put it in the stax storage bag when not in use, and when in use, well, it will be on my head.
Thanks again for all the help.
post #23052 of 24765

The old sticky plastic is part of the vintage stuff, live and love with it.

post #23053 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin gilmore View Post

there are outside dust seals on both sides but not hermetic in any way.

multiple air holes between the inside chambers and the outside.

just one look at the diaphrams from a household where people smoke

will confirm. contaminants get in their fairly easily.

I see.  I suppose there must be a way to equalize air pressure, otherwise the things would burst when shipped by air.

post #23054 of 24765

The one hermetically sealed electrostat I can think of is the old Dayton-Wright.  They filled the transducers with SF6 gas to make use of its' higher breakdown voltage (than air) and increase the efficiency of the panels.  14 kV bias supply biggrin.gif

post #23055 of 24765

And they leaked anyway. And had to be refilled which was

a nuisance and smelled up the house.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax thread (New)