Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB - Page 202

post #3016 of 3034

I replaced my basic DAC1 with the HDR version.

 

However, the HDR version does not have a BNC connection so I must use an adapter to use my same Stereovox digital cable.

 

Should there be a sonic difference using an adapter?  Any particular adapter recommended?  Should I bother to have Stereovox cable reterminated so an adapter can be avoided?  (Using a Radio Shack adapter it seems there is a very slight alteration in pitch, but I confess this could be psychological.)

 

Thanks.

post #3017 of 3034

Hi Elias,

I've finally saved up for, and got a great price on a used DAC1 USB. I'm LOVING it!  I'm using it to directly drive my NAD C275bee amp and psb Image T6 speakers, as well as AKG K702 phones.

 

Maybe these questions have been answered directly, but I've not found them, so hope you don't mind!

 

  1. Most of my music are flac files thru J. Rivers Media Center. I removed the HPA jumper so it goes full bore, which allows me to get a nice level on the 702s while using Replay Gain (I bounce around a lot while listening, so this is invaluable to me).  But I'm curious: it outputs 24 bits to the DAC1, using Wasabi event mode(so volume controlled by the dac after the replay gain adjustment, of course). Am I losing much sound quality using the replay gain? (it sounds great, but I can't tell a difference with it off.. hard to measure because of course the volume level is hard to match for a/b tests).
  2. Is there any way I can get use out of the AES input? I'm using the usb for the computer, spdif for a cd deck, and toslink for the tv.  Are there adapters that would allow another spdif coax input, or are voltages/resistance too different?

 

Thanks for your time sir!!


Edited by Dougr33 - 3/2/12 at 8:32am
post #3018 of 3034

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.a.b. View Post

I replaced my basic DAC1 with the HDR version.

 

However, the HDR version does not have a BNC connection so I must use an adapter to use my same Stereovox digital cable.

 

Should there be a sonic difference using an adapter?  Any particular adapter recommended?  Should I bother to have Stereovox cable reterminated so an adapter can be avoided?  (Using a Radio Shack adapter it seems there is a very slight alteration in pitch, but I confess this could be psychological.)

 

Thanks.

 

There should be no sonic difference whatsoever.  Benchmark converters are immune to differences in differences between interfaces.  As long as the data remains in tact (which, in your case, should not be a problem), the sound will not be affected.
 

Best,

Elias

post #3019 of 3034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougr33 View Post

Hi Elias,

I've finally saved up for, and got a great price on a used DAC1 USB. I'm LOVING it!  I'm using it to directly drive my NAD C275bee amp and psb Image T6 speakers, as well as AKG K702 phones.

 

Maybe these questions have been answered directly, but I've not found them, so hope you don't mind!

 

  1. Most of my music are flac files thru J. Rivers Media Center. I removed the HPA jumper so it goes full bore, which allows me to get a nice level on the 702s while using Replay Gain (I bounce around a lot while listening, so this is invaluable to me).  But I'm curious: it outputs 24 bits to the DAC1, using Wasabi event mode(so volume controlled by the dac after the replay gain adjustment, of course). Am I losing much sound quality using the replay gain? (it sounds great, but I can't tell a difference with it off.. hard to measure because of course the volume level is hard to match for a/b tests).
  2. Is there any way I can get use out of the AES input? I'm using the usb for the computer, spdif for a cd deck, and toslink for the tv.  Are there adapters that would allow another spdif coax input, or are voltages/resistance too different?

 

Thanks for your time sir!!

 

Hi Doug,

 

Just to address your question here, I'll paste Rory's reply from the Benchmark forum:

 

 

 

1. We have not tested the Replay Gain feature of J River, but based on its handling of the signal (64bit), I'm not surprised that you cannot hear a difference between on/off. What does happen is that the noise floor will come up by the gain reduction amount of the program, but its affect sonically will be inaudible at even the most extreme listening levels.

2. The AES input on the DAC1USB and DAC1 will accept a 75 ohm coaxial cable by the addition of an Impedance Transformer. There are a few companies that offer these. We sell one manufactured by Canare. It can be found here: 

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/catalog/female-male-impedance-transformer-p-51.html?osCsid=c42d6e31210df4114ec13ea11fa732ad 

Simply plug it into the DAC's rear XLR digital input, and connect the coax cable from the source. A cable with a BNC connector on one end will be required:

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/catalog/75ohm-canare-lv61s-p-75.html?osCsid=c42d6e31210df4114ec13ea11fa732ad

Best,

Elias

post #3020 of 3034
hi fellow head-fi'ers and dac1 owners.
1 question - is there any firmware updates for dac1 usb or theres no such thing?
post #3021 of 3034

Hi ,

I have 3 years old Benchmark Dac-Pre , I am very happy with the product.I am using XLR outputs with Calibrated mode tru Preamp.

I tried to lower trimmer values but unfortunately i broke left channel trimmer screw ..

Can i find the competible trimmers for replacement or i would like to replace trimmers by fixed value resisitors .
Could you help me the what is the trimmer value.. or what would be the fix resistor value to achive max +9 dBU output level.

My current setup Attenuator jumpers are off position.
Thanks for your kind support..Best regards,

post #3022 of 3034
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyser View Post

Hi ,

I have 3 years old Benchmark Dac-Pre , I am very happy with the product.I am using XLR outputs with Calibrated mode tru Preamp.

I tried to lower trimmer values but unfortunately i broke left channel trimmer screw ..

Can i find the competible trimmers for replacement or i would like to replace trimmers by fixed value resisitors .
Could you help me the what is the trimmer value.. or what would be the fix resistor value to achive max +9 dBU output level.

My current setup Attenuator jumpers are off position.
Thanks for your kind support..Best regards,

 

Best place to start is here:

 

service@benchmarkmedia.com

 

Good folks, very helpful.

post #3023 of 3034
Hi all, first post on head-fi. I have the Dac 1 (1.5 years old) and am considering the Dac Pre, but only if there is a sonic benefit. Any comments? I have a yba transport, foobar windows 7 running through an M2Tech Evo usb to spdif converter, dac 1 feeding a Bryston 4bsst2, and Philharmonic speakers with AKG over ear headphones. Thanks for the input.
Edited by dmdm - 8/26/12 at 10:47am
post #3024 of 3034
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdm View Post

Hi all, first post on head-fi. I have the Dac 1 (1.5 years old) and am considering the Dac Pre, but only if there is a sonic benefit. Any comments? I have a yba transport, foobar windows 7 running through an M2Tech Evo usb to spdif converter, dac 1 feeding a Bryston 4bsst2, and Philharmonic speakers with AKG over ear headphones. Thanks for the input.

Anyone?  Thanks.

post #3025 of 3034

Why not take advantage of ordering directly from Benchmark and doing their 30 day audition offer?

 

Test it for yourself and let your ears do the deciding. :)

 

All you'd be out is the $20 or so in return shipping if you don't like it.

post #3026 of 3034
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtkversion View Post

Why not take advantage of ordering directly from Benchmark and doing their 30 day audition offer?

 

Test it for yourself and let your ears do the deciding. :)

 

All you'd be out is the $20 or so in return shipping if you don't like it.

Thanks.  I just ordered the hdr.  I'll sell the dac 1 on ebay and be done with it.

post #3027 of 3034
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdm View Post

Thanks.  I just ordered the hdr.  I'll sell the dac 1 on ebay and be done with it.


Why sell on ebay? Be kind to head-fi-ers and sell on the "For Sale" forum on this site!

post #3028 of 3034

Hi

I am very happy with my  benchmarks dac1 USB. Now I have very well combo with difficult to drive Hifiman he-4.

I have a question.Which usb cable should I Use?usb cable ferrite or non ferrite? 

Also I want to buy Hifiman He-6 which are known for being power hungry.,,,,,, Which head amp do you recomend?

Thanks

 

post #3029 of 3034
HI Elias, haven't posted here in a few years, very glad to see you still kickin butt, I have a new question for you. I'd like to run -two- benchmark usb dacs at once, one to run a pair of speakers, one to run a sub. It appears both Vista and Windows 7 will not allow you to run two default output sources at once. You have to pick, or the computer picks for you. The only way i've seen around this is some software hack called Virtual Audio Cable, with no help on how to set it up, or to go all the way back to windows XP, back before the RIAA held everyone hostage with DRM crap. Do you, or does anyone here, have any suggestions on how to play a simple flac file with VLC, and have that sound go to -two- usb dacs at once? Or do I have to install XP on an Ultrabook, the height of irony.
post #3030 of 3034

Why do you even need two DAC's? Just use the RCA outputs for the speakers and the XLR outputs for the sub or vice versa. You can buy XLR->RCA adapters or cables if need be.

 

If you really did need 2 DAC's though you could always just buy a USB->S/PDIF converter and use 2 digital outs from the converter to the DAC (ie. use both digital coax and optical outs).


Edited by Bmac - 1/4/13 at 5:54pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB