New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New! HeadRoom Desktop Balanced Amp! - Page 2  

post #16 of 304
Wow! I'm really excited about this. I just wish you could put in the Max module in there... isn't there some sort of a cooling mechanism or vents or something you could use to keep it cooler?
post #17 of 304
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by elrod-tom View Post
At what point will y'all be taking orders? Is that the February availability date you referenced, or is that an expected delivery date??
I tend to think we won't be taking advanced orders, but I'll ask Jamey and Ivy if they're interested in doing so. Early February is the expected shipping date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacard
Wow! I'm really excited about this. I just wish you could put in the Max module in there... isn't there some sort of a cooling mechanism or vents or something you could use to keep it cooler?
We did figure we would be able to figit around and fit the Max modules in there mechanically, but in the end, short of putting a fan in the thing and drilling a bunch of holes in the enclosure in various places, there would be no way to cool it. So, it's not impossible, but at somepoint the effort isn't worth it given A) the Home balanced modules sond pretty damn good, and B) you can always just buy one of the big amps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elrod-tom
BTW - my wallet is just plain angry with y'all now...apologies are not working any more.*
Who said I was sorry?
post #18 of 304
Looks great!!!

I hope to have the oportunity the listen to your various offers at the International Meet in April.

The price tag look very interesting, considering that balanced DIY designs such as the M3 balanced, dynahi's etc, are in the same price point.

Looking forward to hearing it!!!

Manuel
post #19 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens View Post
I had a moment like that myself recently: The high here in Montana will be under 10 today. I looked at the temp in Ft. Lauderdale for the weekend and it forcast about 80! I had a little dribble myself at that moment---fortunately it froze immediately and rattled out my pant leg.
You know what they say about turning lemons into lemonade...

post #20 of 304
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASantos View Post
I hope to have the oportunity the listen to your various offers at the International Meet in April.
We'll be there! But hey, you're not too far away from Ft. Lauderdale and I'll be at the meet there this weekend. The thread is here. It's on Saturday 10a-5p.
post #21 of 304
I have a rather important but somewhat nontechnical question regarding the new balanced Desktop amps from Headroom.

Will getting one of these balanced amps help all of us poor unbalanced individuals here at Head-Fi become more balanced? And if so, can we get our medical insurance plans to help pay for them?
post #22 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens View Post
We'll be there! But hey, you're not too far away from Ft. Lauderdale and I'll be at the meet there this weekend. The thread is here. It's on Saturday 10a-5p.
I am only going to the US on the 14th January.

If I was there I would certainly attend the meet.
post #23 of 304
Congratulations. Looks really good. Stiff competition for the Rudistor NX-33.....
Just one stupid question: I figure you need to get your headphones terminated with two stereo headphone plugs (instead of the more commonly used XLRs)?
post #24 of 304
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Just one stupid question: I figure you need to get your headphones terminated with two stereo headphone plugs (instead of the more commonly used XLRs)?
Nope. Those connectors on the front are Neutrik combo jacks---they accept 1/4 inch headphone plugs in the middle, and they accept 3 pin XLR males. You use two XLR 3-pin males for balanced, and the 1/4 inch plug for normal cans. So, it's kind of cool, you can use both balanced or unbalanced cans with the amp (just not at the same time).
post #25 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens View Post
Nope. Those connectors on the front are Neutrik combo jacks---they accept 1/4 inch headphone plugs in the middle, and they accept 3 pin XLR males. You use two XLR 3-pin males for balanced, and the 1/4 inch plug for normal cans. So, it's kind of cool, you can use both balanced or unbalanced cans with the amp (just not at the same time).
Now that IS cool.
It's definitely beginning to look like I don't have quite enough amps yet...
post #26 of 304
My third time saying this, but I'm looking forward to this a lot

And Tyll your Stereophile magazine ads are really cool, one of my speaker colleagues is now considering the HD650 after hearing mine single ended.
post #27 of 304
So, at around the same price, which sounds better to you: Unbalanced Desktop with Max DAC/modules, or the balanced one with the Home stuff?
post #28 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens View Post
Nope. Those connectors on the front are Neutrik combo jacks---they accept 1/4 inch headphone plugs in the middle, and they accept 3 pin XLR males. You use two XLR 3-pin males for balanced, and the 1/4 inch plug for normal cans. So, it's kind of cool, you can use both balanced or unbalanced cans with the amp (just not at the same time).
So, if using unbalanced cans, can you plug in two at the same time?
post #29 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monkey View Post
So, if using unbalanced cans, can you plug in two at the same time?
Yes.
post #30 of 304
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkozlows View Post
So, at around the same price, which sounds better to you: Unbalanced Desktop with Max DAC/modules, or the balanced one with the Home stuff?
I just knew someone was going to ask this! And thanks for asking, mkozlows, how about I send you both for a listen?

Ha ha, fooled you! (I bet he just let loose a little dribble on that one.)

No, actually it is a great question and I've been wanting to do it myself. I tell you what I'll hook up the Balanced Home and Max single ended tomorrow to the Wadia 861SE and have a little lisening test. I wanted to hook up the Wadia to the new DB anyway, so I'll just add in a Maxed Desktop to the mix. Work, work, work, that's all I ever do is work.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
This thread is locked