Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › K701 amp suggestions?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

K701 amp suggestions? - Page 4

post #46 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by *645-k701
I have my K701's im about to purchase RS's The Hornet. i did a little reseach..
Im still a bit noobish. plus i want to get somthing good instead of muckin about with lesser portable amp's. this hornet looks the way to go for me.

Unless anyone can suggest a better portable amp..
(hope i posted this in the right place, its my first forum post)
hard to navigate if you will.

I also need to get a new mp3 player my ipod mini (the old one) has had it.
anymore suggestions?

again sorry for posting two diff questions..
Welcome to the forums!

Although there is nothing wrong with you posting in here, although it was a tiny bit off topic, you would have a much larger benefit if you created a new thread concerning what you are looking for. It will get alot more attention, and alot more people will read it. I'm no expert when it comes to audio, sorry. I wish I could help you, but I am of no help. Start a new thread asking about the RS1's and what you are planning on. I suggest making this thread in the headphones section, since you plan on buying headphones mainly. Then you can stick in those extra questions about an amplifier and an mp3 player at the end.

Hope I helped out a bit.
post #47 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROphonez
Welcome to the forums!

Although there is nothing wrong with you posting in here, although it was a tiny bit off topic, you would have a much larger benefit if you created a new thread concerning what you are looking for. It will get alot more attention, and alot more people will read it. I'm no expert when it comes to audio, sorry. I wish I could help you, but I am of no help. Start a new thread asking about the RS1's and what you are planning on. I suggest making this thread in the headphones section, since you plan on buying headphones mainly. Then you can stick in those extra questions about an amplifier and an mp3 player at the end.

Hope I helped out a bit.
Chill a bit, PYRO... He said RS's Hornet -- as in Ray Samuel's Hornet with K701s (not RS-1) -- which is perfectly on track for the title of this thread, though I know you want information for your quest.

In any case, I just sent him a PM with some comments to tide him over until he gets more feedback, in his own thread or elsewhere.

Cheers!
Peter
post #48 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanee
Chill a bit, PYRO... He said RS's Hornet -- as in Ray Samuel's Hornet with K701s (not RS-1) -- which is perfectly on track for the title of this thread, though I know you want information for your quest.

In any case, I just sent him a PM with some comments to tide him over until he gets more feedback, in his own thread or elsewhere.

Cheers!
Peter
Did I sound angry or something? I didn't mean to if that's how it did sound.

I completely misread that. I thought he said he was purchasing the RS1's and a hornet, so I suggested he make a new thread, because more people would see it there, and it wouldn't get as much attention in here. I don't mind if he asks for suggestions or opinions in the thread, but from what I incorrectly read, I thought he was just saying he had the K701s, and was replacing them with the RS1's and the hornet.

Sorry!
post #49 of 66

Areet

Cheers Pyro, Romanee sorted me with what i needed to know..

I'll get a new post up in the portable amp's section..(for some more details)
Again thanks for the replys..

p.s. my 701's have had mebbeh close to 200 hours burn-in, they sounds jizztastic already.
I got to get my hands on the m-hornet asap so i can get portable, feel most comfortable mooving when im listening to my tunes.
plus its getting cold here..2 purposes..=)
post #50 of 66
Thread Starter 
I've been thinking again... I don't know if tubes are for me. I understand they give a warmer sound, correct? I don't know how warm of a sound I want.
I really am curious about any other options between $100-200 USD including shipping. I may stick with the LDII+, but I don't really know.
post #51 of 66
A good amp for under $200 would be the Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 which can be had for under that number here in the for sale forums. The X-Can V2 has 6299 tubes for the pre-amp section and transistors for the output. I find that it is a very nice amp which goes well with the K701, HD600, and RS-1.

If you want a full SS amp then the K701 has excellent synergy with the Heed CanAmp. I realize that the MSRP of the Heed is $400, however you may want to contact Dan for his price at:

Dan Muzquiz
Blackbird Audio/Gallery
619-449-2787
http://www.blackbirdaudio.com
post #52 of 66
Thread Starter 
thanks, mrarroyo!

I was starting to look at the headfive, but the pricetag is really pushing it way over where I wanted to pay.

Hmm. I've never heard much about the CanAmp. I may look into it.
I lost my link for the Cute Beyond II's. They were something like $175. Can anyone give me this link again please? Anybody know how it sounds along with the K701's?

I'm going to keep my eye out for the X-Can. It looks very nice, and you say it goes well with the 701. Perfect!
post #53 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROphonez
thanks, mrarroyo!

I was starting to look at the headfive, but the pricetag is really pushing it way over where I wanted to pay.

Hmm. I've never heard much about the CanAmp. I may look into it.
I lost my link for the Cute Beyond II's. They were something like $175. Can anyone give me this link again please? Anybody know how it sounds along with the K701's?

I'm going to keep my eye out for the X-Can. It looks very nice, and you say it goes well with the 701. Perfect!
You will find the Cute Amps at: http://www.firestone-audio.com/

You can find more on the Heed CanAmp at: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ht=Heed+CanAmp

If you decide to pursue the purchase of the Heed you may want to contact Dan at:

Dan Muzquiz
Blackbird Audio/Gallery
619-449-2787
http://www.blackbirdaudio.com

But for the money an used X-Can V2 is hard to beat. Specially since later you can contact PinkFloyd for his modifications which take the Musical Fidelity X-Can amps to a new level. Do not forget that you can also alter the sound by changing tubes.
post #54 of 66
Thread Starter 
Did you really have to show me that thread about the CanAmp...
I'm sure the price is way over my budget though. Maybe there will be one in my future.
post #55 of 66
Either choice you make i'm willing to bet you will be happy.

Bottom line is the 701's can be driven by most sources, but they need some extra juice to really shine. Like I said earlier, they sound good running from my PowerMac, and they sound about 5x's better from my LD2+, with the issue being they have the juice to make the music come to life. The extra power gives the music depth.

If you really want to get critical you are gonna have to spend some money, period. But, what you can get in your price range will keep you happy.

Good Luck!


//B
post #56 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc
Either choice you make i'm willing to bet you will be happy.

Bottom line is the 701's can be driven by most sources, but they need some extra juice to really shine. Like I said earlier, they sound good running from my PowerMac, and they sound about 5x's better from my LD2+, with the issue being they have the juice to make the music come to life. The extra power gives the music depth.

If you really want to get critical you are gonna have to spend some money, period. But, what you can get in your price range will keep you happy.

Good Luck!


//B
Thanks Duc, you've helped me out alot in here.
If I see an X-Can V2 pop up at a nice price, I'll grab it. If not, I'm going to go with the LDII+.
Would anyone be willing to give me a description of the way tubes change the sound?

And how do I get this ASIO winamp plugin working? I tried both of the .dll's, but it kept saying I couldn't configure it.
post #57 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROphonez
Thanks Duc, you've helped me out alot in here.
If I see an X-Can V2 pop up at a nice price, I'll grab it. If not, I'm going to go with the LDII+.
Would anyone be willing to give me a description of the way tubes change the sound?
There is 2 x-Can v2's on Ebay right now.
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...title=X-Can+v2

Rolling different tubes just tweaks the sound in little differences. The nice thing about the X-Can, is it uses 6922 tubes which are also ECC88, E88CC, Russian 6H23, & 6N1P which are very popular and easy to come by, giving you a ton of options to tweak the sound.

+ the common PinkFloyd Mods.
http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/xcanpropage.htm
post #58 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc
There is 2 x-Can v2's on Ebay right now.
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...title=X-Can+v2

Rolling different tubes just tweaks the sound in little differences. The nice thing about the X-Can, is it uses 6922 tubes which are also ECC88, E88CC, Russian 6H23, & 6N1P which are very popular and easy to come by, giving you a ton of options to tweak the sound.

+ the common PinkFloyd Mods.
http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/xcanpropage.htm
Wow... I use ebay for almost everything, yet I didn't even think of searching for this... I'll be watching that, although he gives absolutely no details. The other one is to Australia only. Thanks for pointing them out.
post #59 of 66
If you buy Hi end headphones you should compliment it with a mid fi to hi fi amp..The 701's retail for around 450-500, & you are going to buy a amp for under a 100.00..Doesn't make sense to me..Unless you are going to upgrade down the road..
post #60 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool bubba ice
If you buy Hi end headphones you should compliment it with a mid fi to hi fi amp..The 701's retail for around 450-500, & you are going to buy a amp for under a 100.00..Doesn't make sense to me..Unless you are going to upgrade down the road..
I completely understand this statement. I didn't have to buy these headphones though, and I probably would have never spent that much until I have a good job and am out of high school and college. Fortunately, I won a drawing help by the member Afrikane. My budget is over $100, around $150-200.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › K701 amp suggestions?