Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Orthodynamic Roundup
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Orthodynamic Roundup - Page 1001

post #15001 of 23376

15,000 is soooooo 2007.

 

 

15,001 is where the party begins

post #15002 of 23376
Quote:
Originally Posted by KANA View Post

Quote:


Only SAWAFUJI SF-17 puts out an natural top high tone in old headphones, and the resolution is very high.However, the volume hardly goes out even if SF-17 ties to which headphone amplifier (I'm using LUXMAN P-1).
YAMAHA HP-1('s sound) is looks like a modern headphone, and the sound is almighty.
VICTOR HP-D50 and KAWAI SH-5(ATH-2) are like to HP-1 and its sound is also almighty, but their sound are more soberer.
T50 have also high resolution and the sound is more powerful.
KH-92 have the high resolution, and very very soft sound. The sound of KH-92 is like old fine LP sound. I love this
SE-500 is a more delicate sound. The maximum input might be low.
The rank falls into HP-50S and U70 a little in these headphones.


However, I noticed recently that these orthodynamic headphones cannot show the original performance if you don't hear them after sounding for about 10-20 minutes. Therefore, it's very difficult to rank these headphones.

I love the way you described each of those!  Nice to see different words used, gives a fresh take from the usual audiophile speak that I use. 

 

I'm not sure what you mean in the last paragraph though.  Do you mean that the headphones need to warm up or something?
 

post #15003 of 23376
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan View Post

So do I get post 15,000?

 

Yes, yes I do...


wow.  the 15000th post on the 1000th page of the ortho thread.  That's got to be good luck.  I'm glad this happened while you are tinkering with those RP18's.    May the ortho gods bless you with unusually fine felts!

post #15004 of 23376
Thread Starter 

Dang, missed the party again.

 

Hard to believe, isn't it.  I do agree with David.M: the best part of this little trip is yet to come.

 

While we're nattering on about felt, does anyone have a theory (extra points for using the term  adiabatic ) that would tell us which kind of felt (ie, the different wool grades; wool blends; polyester; acrylic) is likely to be the most effective for our purposes?

post #15005 of 23376

Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta View Post

Dang, missed the party again.          

Go for post 15150, that is ten times as much as 1515 .
 

Update: the HP1 has a thing for instrumentals, Yann Tiersen's music sounded eargasmic, I am now writing of pianos and accordeons.


Edited by Deep Funk - 7/20/10 at 8:29am
post #15006 of 23376
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmdevils View Post



I love the way you described each of those!  Nice to see different words used, gives a fresh take from the usual audiophile speak that I use. 

 

I'm not sure what you mean in the last paragraph though.  Do you mean that the headphones need to warm up or something?
 



 

Sorry for my Engrish.
As you say, I mean that many orthodynamic headphones need to warm up if you want the best performance of those.

Especially, the very tight high becomes soft and warm after warming up.        

 

post #15007 of 23376
Quote:
Originally Posted by wualta View Post

 

While we're nattering on about felt, does anyone have a theory (extra points for using the term  adiabatic ) that would tell us which kind of felt (ie, the different wool grades; wool blends; polyester; acrylic) is likely to be the most effective for our purposes?

 

What, and give away trade secrets?  I will say that most of the dozen plus synthetics that I've tried suck our far too much midrange energy and make the highs harsh or they do little to dampen the bass and polish off more treble than anything else.  

 

That reminds me, I need to harass an industrial felt supplier for my samples.  If these samples sound similar to the Oz felt, which I suspect they will, then I will have a solid, commercial specification for the felt that will yield consistent results based on the sound signature that I use when tuning.    Great for orthos, but even better for loaded horn speakers. 
 

post #15008 of 23376
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan View Post



 

What, and give away trade secrets?  I will say that most of the dozen plus synthetics that I've tried suck our far too much midrange energy and make the highs harsh or they do little to dampen the bass and polish off more treble than anything else.  

 

That reminds me, I need to harass an industrial felt supplier for my samples.  If these samples sound similar to the Oz felt, which I suspect they will, then I will have a solid, commercial specification for the felt that will yield consistent results based on the sound signature that I use when tuning.    Great for orthos, but even better for loaded horn speakers. 
 


Tres cool!!

post #15009 of 23376
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkarth View Post




Tres cool!!


Even cooler, I found a local Alpaca breeder that almost gives her fiber away for free.  She has almost no market for it locally and sells it for probably 20% the cost of wool fiber.  Once more projects are cleared off my list, I'll be making my own felt in the spring but I need a standard to make it too initially before I tweak the fiber orientations and over all densities.  I have many other uses for the felt besides headphones and speakers too so no plans to offer it commercially in raw form though I may let a little of it get out in the wild to party with some select vintage orthos or Thunderpants. 

post #15010 of 23376

seeking out alpaca breeders to improve the sound of headphones = pure win

post #15011 of 23376

Fostex T50LP - LeakyPants Commando
 

It lives! Not quite finished yet, needs a bit of tuning and maybe the rear grilles, also decision on which pads to use.

 

T50LP.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br777 View Post

seeking out alpaca breeders to improve the sound of headphones = pure win


x2! You should get the alpaca to test the phones hear how hairy the sound can get.


Edited by Kabeer - 7/20/10 at 2:21pm
post #15012 of 23376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabeer View Post

Fostex T50LP - LeakyPants Commando
 

It lives! Not quite finished yet, needs a bit of tuning and maybe the rear grilles, also decision on which pads to use.

 

T50LP.jpg


x2! You should get the alpaca to test the phones hear how hairy the sound can get.

 

Sweet!  O2 pads so you keep the bass that doesn't have a enclosure to reinforce it...

 

My cans are going nowhere near an Alpaca. 
 

post #15013 of 23376
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan View Post

Sweet!  O2 pads so you keep the bass that doesn't have a enclosure to reinforce it...

 

My cans are going nowhere near an Alpaca. 
 


Why?  Alpacas are delicious!  

 

x2 on the O2 pads unless you got something else that can retain Bass.

post #15014 of 23376

If only there was a catch all phrase I could use to make this into a  somewhat off-color joke.
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan View Post
 

My cans are going nowhere near an Alpaca. 
 


Nice looking LPC Kabeer.


Edited by JadeEast - 7/20/10 at 2:50pm
post #15015 of 23376

T50LP.jpg

 

Those look cool!  nice job.    everyone is sayig o2 pads, but how would you get them to stay on with those arms screwed into the cups like that... maybe you need to make some foam (or whatever) donuts to extend out from the drivers so you have something to slip the pads onto..

not that I have ANY idea what im talking about... but cool cans none the less... they look comfy

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Orthodynamic Roundup