Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › ZERO AUDIO-ear stereo headphone carbo Tenore ZH-DX200-CT

ZERO AUDIO-ear stereo headphone carbo Tenore ZH-DX200-CT

Rated #143 in Universal Fit

Pros: Balance; clarity; head-stage; lightweight; fit

Cons: Cable microphonics; that lightweight cable feels short-lived...

Saw some glowing reviews for these, and thought that for under $40 on Amazon it's well-worth finding out what the fuss was about - in short: well worth it!

Set-up: LG G4 > USB Audio Player Pro (FLAC; ALAC) > Audioquest Dragonfly Black 1.5

Packaging/bundling

They arrived from Amazon in a plastic box, but come with a neat cloth carrying pouch which is super handy - I use it for carrying around 6.3mm adaptor / Dragonfly Black / OTG cable etc. It comes fitted with a 'medium' size pair of silicon tips, as well as a smaller + larger pair of alternate tips.

Fit/comfort/build

The 'medium' tips gave a great seal out of the box, and I haven't had to change them once. Isolation is fairly good, not excellent (as to be expected), and serves me just fine on public transport. The cable itself is super-fine, and feels somewhat flimsy - doesn't really inspire confidence that it's going to be a long-term proposition. The join to the main housing is a convenient 45-degree angle, but not terribly secure. It's prone to tangling(!), and the biggest 'Con' at this stage is that it's fairly microphonic - it picks up any bump, rustle, or exaggerated movement. I was able to mostly eliminate it by wrapping them around the back and over the front of my ears, which seems to keep them fairly secure and under control. Problem (mostly) solved.

Sound Quality

This is my first foray into IEMs (beyond the ones that come with your smartphone...), and the first listen out of the box was a surprise, which in a word, I could only describe as "clarity". Great detail at all frequencies, without the muddiness/boominess that generally comes part-and-parcel with consumer-tuned earphones.

Bass: After a bit of break-in (whether it's the drivers or my ears, I don't know) I'm happy to say there's good detail and level of bass, which is controlled and fun. At first I felt I made a mistake not ordering the Carbo Basso (the more bass-heavy twin to the Tenore), but there's definitely slam there and I wouldn't want any more level.

Mids: I felt the mids felt slightly recessed/laid back at first (and was EQ-ing up +1-2db at first), but have become accustomed to the amount now and am listening without any EQ. Male vocals are detailed and present, but 'laid-back' would be the best way to describe them.

Treble: is super detailed and clear, lots of shine - the star here.

Soundstage: I've heard from other reviewers that these have great soundstage - something I don't totally agree with. I think it's better described as 'head-stage' - it's fairly intimate, with a good sense of left/right, but not 3D or concert-hall-like by any stretch.

Overall: can't really fault for the price (or for many times the price, for that matter), and I'm happily running them as daily drivers on my commute. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase them again...which I'm feeling I may have to given how lightweight the build feels.

Looking forward to comparing them to the Monk Plus which have just dropped on Massdrop!

Pros: Small and fit well, Balanced, Decent bass

Cons: Cable is weak

I'm not a high-end hifi guy, but I own a few pairs of headphones and earbuds so I'm capable of telling my experience. The Carbo Tenore has a generally dark sound signature, but that doesn't mean anything sounds recessed. They have decent bass as BAs, the high is not sibilant, the mid is good. The soundstage is not large. For around 35 bucks, you can't go wrong with these if the sound signature fits your taste.

ZERO AUDIO-ear stereo headphone carbo Tenore ZH-DX200-CT