Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Yamaha PRO 500

Yamaha PRO 500

Pros: Energy, Enthusiasm, Drama, BASS!!!!! Treble, Clarity

Cons: Too over dramatic and V shaped, aurally and physically tiring.

Yamaha HPH-Pro 500 Quick Review

Full review found at http://www.head-fi.org/t/653626/yamaha-hph-pro-500-review

Thanks to Yamaha UK for the sample.

Brief:  Yamaha does party time.

Price:  Circa £250 (Circa US$400 in Americaland)

Specification:  Design Over-ear, closed back, rigid aluminium alloy earcup, Driver Type Dynamic, neodymium magnet, Driver Unit    Φ2” (50 mm), Impedance 23 ohms @ 1kHz, Maximum Power 1,000 mW, Sound Pressure Level   106 dB ±3 dB (1 kHz, 1 mW), Frequency Response 20 Hz – 20 kHz, Weight (without Cable) 13 oz (369 g), Ports Dual 1/8” (3.5 mm) input/output, one each on the left and right earcups

Accessories:  2 cables, a case and a 6.25 to 3.5mm adapter

Build Quality:  Premium quality, what you’d expect from a premium brand at a premium price.

Isolation:  Rather good, enough to cover most traffic and general out and about noise.  Not what I’d want for Tube or long flights but as good as any over the ear I’ve tried. So a good option if you can’t do IEM’s.

Comfort/Fit:  Errrr a bit so so.  Firstly they are huge, they fit me fine with the headband at its minimum size, extended they get comedy huge.  Then the ear cups were a tiny fraction too small, they just didn’t quite make it over my ears entirely and so exerted a  bit of pressure around the top and bottom.  These never got painful but it was bothersome.  Also they have massive clamping force and that got tiring on the back of my jaw, again not painful but it was a relief to take them off after a few hours.  Granted you need that clamping force to keep them on if you’re out and about so it’s all a bit of a trade off.

Aesthetics:  Well they look nicer in the flesh but I’m still not wildly taken by them, maybe I’d have liked the black more?  It’s all just a bit flashy and that’s just not me but to each their own.

Sound:  There is no mistake that these are aimed at the consumer and not the actual professional market despite their name.  (Seriously, change the name Yamaha.) These have a pretty dramatic sound signature that’s pretty V shaped, the bass in particular is rather boosted.  The quantity isn’t ridiculous but still rather too much.  The quality though is awesome, depth is good being closed but what shines is the power.  The skull crushing power and yet with such swift agility and the impact is outstanding.  Mids too quality wise are excellent, a touch dry for a Yamaha but so open, airy and sooooooooo clear for a closed headphone.  The highs are just as good too, they extend well and move like lightning.  For a closed headphone it really is convincing is providing air and openness.  Overall its speed, power and enthusiasm make for a really dramatic and compelling sound.  Sure it’s a bit tiring on my ear for listening for too long but it’s deeply engaging.  The driver in these is a wonder, even more so that it can do so much even being driven out of poor sources like a phone.  Still they can do rather better if you power them well; I’d strongly advise you to do so if you buy a set.

Value:  Expensive but top class sound quality if you want a “consumer” orientated sound signature.  Compared with others in the class these slaughter the Beats I’ve heard.

Pro’s:   Energy, Enthusiasm, Drama, BASS!!!!! Treble, Clarity

Con’s:  Too over dramatic and V shaped, aurally and physically tiring.

Pros: Impactful sound, bass extension and impact is present, feels sturdy, good accessories.

Cons: Bass overpowers lower mids (quantity is too much), puts pressure on top of the head, they are HUGE!

Note: Ok, so I took time to write a couple of things regarding these guys. This is mostly "preliminary" as I'm one of those that feel sound signature grows once you give a lot of listening time to gear. Anyway, mini review.

Introduction:

THIS HOBBY SUCKS!!!
You read this right! lol

I thought I was done buying headphones for a while as I think I found what I was after with MrSpeakers Mad Dogs and Ultrasone Signature Pros but, as always, new ones come along that you just get the "itch" to try and this is exactly what happened and why I got these (and why I still want to try the Ultrasone Signature DJs and the Paradox ;-))

Anyway, on with the show.

Yamaha Pro 500

106 dB/mW sensitivity
23 ohms impedance

Package Contents:

* 1/4th adapter
* 2 detachable cables (1 with controls)
* Sturdy good looking case
* Stickers and a wipe
* Manual

Comfort and build:

As listed on top, one of the "cons" (at least for me) is that the headphones are HUGE! In fact, I haven't even used the "adjustable" part of the headband. Basically, without extending it, it fits good for me (I'm thinking that someone with a tiny head, or maybe a woman, will not be able to enjoy listening to these! Maybe they'll fit a bit loose? Not sure). Bear in mind though, that this may happen only to me? I'm kind of long-faced (lol), pinhead type or something like that. What this does though is put pressure on top of my head :-( It becomes uncomfortable after a few songs so I have to keep adjusting them to mitigate the pressure. Extending the headband makes the headphones loose so, Gelocks is Sad!

Even though the headphones as a whole are Huge, the ear pads are tiny. Comparing them side by side (I'll try to include photos once I get home or later on during the day) to my Signature Pros and my Mad Dogs, it is very apparent. BUT I do have to say that they feel very good once touching the ears. For someone with big ears it might actually feel like an on-ear headphone though but at least to me they feel better than the V-Moda M100s.

Build quality seems top-notch. Not sure how much pressure the plastic can widthstand but they seem to be sturdy enough. Paint quality (I have the blue ones) is great! Really lights up the room and everyone ask which brand it is ;-). They DO look like Beats clones though which might be a problem for some and as mentioned earlier, the size makes you feel like you have a "Halo" or something.

I guess that's all I have to say about that so let's go to...

These impressions are done using/listening my usual test songs:

Damian Marley - Welcome to Jamrock
J-King y Maximan - Ella me Pide Something
Calvin Harris - Feel so Close
Tenacious D - The Metal
Three Six Mafia - Late Night Tip

First off... These guys GO LOUD!!!!! I'm using: Cowon C2 --> Schiit Magni --> phones.
IMPACTFUL bass! Lots of Quantity and good quality actually. Listening to Jon Cleary's "When you Get Back" it's actually a treat and I think this track shows the abilities of the Pro 500s. Stepping to something more "club-like" such as Kaskade's "Fire in your Shoes" and Calvin Harris "Feel so Close" is actually a very good experience carrying enough bass and sub-bass to make the headphones shake and rattle a bit at high volumes. And talking about sub-bass, "Late Night Tip" by Three Six Mafia is one track with CONSTANT bass and sub-bass attack and the Pro 500s handle it quite well, no complaints (very similar to how the Denon D600s and V-Moda M100s handle it... this is from memory of course.)

Falling Down to a more laid back type of track, "Oigo Voces" by Mima, her voice stands out as it should in the recording, once the bass line starts it again provides good presence, separation is very good. Continuing with Esperanza Spalding's "What a Friend" piano doesn't sound as natural to me in comparison with the Mad Dogs or Sig Pros, not sure if it is because of the bass response not being as fast or a recess in the mids. And speaking about that, some tracks with male vocals don't sound as forward but again, not sure if it's due to the Bass being a bit boosted/boomy, or slow decay/response, or recessed mids. Maybe it's a combination. Either way, it's NOT unpleasant! So don't get me wrong.

In conclusion:

Big bass,
Ok mids/upper mids (female vocals sound better and more forward than males, so might have a bit of a recess),
Good highs (I could not detect not even a good deal of sibilance, on some tracks they were just a BIT harsh or at least reaching the limits in which I would say that the highs hurt my ears...).
Sound Stage/sound separation is very good (I find it a bit better than the Mad Dogs and on-par with the Sig Pros!)

If I were to order closed cans by preference (the ones I have tried)

Comfort: Mad Dogs --> D5000s --> Sony MDR-1R --> Denon D600 --> Yamaha Pro 500 --> Signature Pro --> SRH940 --> A900X --> V-MODA M100
(this is taking into consideration both earpad and headband feel)

Build: Signature Pro --> Mad Dogs --> A900X --> Denon D600 --> Sony MDR-1R --> V-MODA M100 -->  Yamaha Pro 500 --> D5000s --> SRH940
(if you wonder why the M100s ranked low, cracked wing-tips on supposedly indestructible headphones! BAH!)

Sound Quality: Signature Pro --> Mad Dogs --> D5000s --> Yamaha Pro 500 --> Sony MDR-1R --> V-Moda M100 --> Denon D600 --> A900X --> SRH940s (note, ALL of these have a GREAT sound and some are "special" on specific genres, but when nitpicking, this is how I would choose them)

Contents: V-Moda M100 --> Signature Pro --> Yamaha Pro 500 --> Denon D600 --> SRH940 --> Sony MDR-1R --> Mad Dogs --> D5000 == A900x

Conclusion:

All in all, the final verdict is what counts, either YAY or NAY... Sound-wise these are definitely a YAY!!! Someone looking for "good sounding big bass having headphones" can see these Yamahas as a very good purchase! Not only is the bass at full throttle but the whole spectrum seems alright to my ears except some "unnaturalness" and recess in the mids/lower mids (probably due to boost in bass).

If you ask: "well, why should I choose these instead of the M100s, Denon D600s or any other "bassy" headphone?
And the answer is... depends on what you are looking for... Some people like different styles, some people have different ear/head shapes, some people might value comfort more than anything else. If it were to sound and only sound, I WOULD take these over the D600s and M100s!
(M100s would be second, D600s would be third)

The other usual question would be: "Is the price right for these Yamahas?" And here it gets tricky. I FEEL the cost of these headphones is quite
alright for what they bring to the table:

- Good Sound
- Good (if similar to other brand) style
- Great deal of accessories
- Proven name brand

Current prices put the M100s as cheaper by $100 and the D600s cheaper by $60 or so (if you get them through fumfie.com new). Bearing in mind this, would I still choose the Yamahas? I would say Yes.

As always YMMV, it all depends on your taste! Hopefully I could provide an idea with these impressions and whenever one has a chance to test all or any of these headphones I have mentioned, do it!!! Always trust your ears.

Good luck to whoever reads this.

Check.

Yamaha PRO 500
By:

High-Fidelity Premium Over-Ear Headphones The PRO 500 headphones deliver a sound so extraordinary – so real, so clear, so enveloping – it makes your pulse run faster and sends shivers down your spine. It transports you to another time and place. Ultra-premium drivers, mobile-optimized for maximum efficiency and performance Rigid high-grade aluminum alloy earcups Yamaha tuned for the ultimate listening experience Over-ear design for superb noise isolation Durable build Adjustable headband and soft ear Compact folding design for easy storage Dual input/output ports for flexible connectivity Semi-rigid carrying case Detachable tangle-resistant flat cable (4 ft/1.2 m) with in-line remote/mic optimized for Apple devices Detachable tangle-resistant flat cable (10 ft/3 m) Gold-plated ¼” adapter Available in blue and black

Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Yamaha PRO 500