Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Stax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphones

Stax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphones

Rated #87 in Over-Ear

Pros: Detail, naturalness and resolution on another level above anything else out there.

Cons: You'll never have a good enough source for them and the best rig will cost as much as a quite excellent speaker rig or even a car.

Knowing where to begin describing these is hard. The closest I can come is my first experience listening to a pair of full-size swiss Piega loudspeakers back in the early '90s. The resolution of those things was so incredible I thought that they reproduced the notes of a double-bass with such amazing resoultion you could hear the detail of the strings vibrating and that's before you get an idea of what their ribbon tweeter could do! Similarly, I recently experienced the capabilities of the Linn Klimax Twin power amp on a variety of speakers. The absolute authority and perfection of its presentation was something to behold and it immediately drove me to wonder how it might be possible to afford one.

Similarly the 009s have had such an effect on friends who have listened to them. Much like the Omega IIs and a suitable high-end rig, it is possible to make out the form of the studio music was recorded in by the detail of the echo off the walls. Listening to a classical concert I can even hear the detail of the waves of echos from the instruments coming off the walls. With these earspeakers, as Stax terms them, it is as if everything is simply on another level compared to dynamic headphones. Only the more recent high-end orthos, such as the LCD-3s and Hifiman series and maybe the HD-800s, Sony R10s and my Symphones Magnums come anywhere close. Now the SR-009 takes all this to yet another level. In the same way the first time I tried Stax and compared them to my regular headphones everything was so much more clear and real, the 009s have achieved this over even the orthos, which I hold in the highest regard. Questions about resolution, harshness, distortion, ringing and other issues simply seem not to exist.

While Stax will never give quite as much impact, or slam to music as othos can (while maintaining a high level of detail), the orthos, already awesome in this regard, especially with something like a high-end hybrid amp, wont give you instruments and voices with as much clarity as 009s, if they are arguably better all-rounders. The limits are only set by your source and amp, especially the former. I could easily visualise a $25k system with a pair of these (along with a Liquid Lightening or Blue Hawaii SE and Esoteric K-01 DAC).

Tonality-wise they are similar to the old-style Omega I and Lambda, that is, quite a bit brighter than the Omega II, which was always the odd one out in terms of sound. They suffer, like other models, from the "Stax fart" where moving your jaw and breaking the seal causes the protective membranes to make a sucking sound. However, like the original Omega and unlike the Omega II, they seem to be less difficult to drive, with detailed bass even from the older amps, such as the T1S. A good combination I found was the NOS Metrum Octave DAC, which is relatively mellow but still detailed, along with the Stax 727A amp. This gave a number of people an OMG moment listening to acoustic music, though it was not quite the ticket for rock. The bass, like the power output of a Rolls Royce, is "sufficient". The LCD-3 I found more entertaining in that regard.

They are again similar to the Omega I in that they come in an elegant wooden box with the nicest foam of any box I've encountered in recent memory. Opening it up, I was greeted with a "new car" smell, suggesting they source the leather from a factory that makes car seats. The headband has a new 10-click (per side) adjustor, which is quite stiff to adjust but holds firm unlike the old Lambda headbands. Beyond that, the fit is typical Stax -- light and comfortable. The aluminium design is of the highest quality, if it does seem to contrast the rather simple headband arrangement. Like its maker, it is in many ways an understated design, its statement in its perfection of design and sound.

So, ultimately, we have our king. Long live it and its maker I reckon.

(Updated June 23, 2012)

Pros: High level of clarity, relatively close to neutral, wide & open soundstage

Cons: Not as natural-sounding as OII MKI, flatter imaging than OII MKI

Originally published on November 11, 2012

Note: this review is an exact cross-post from post #1 of this thread on Head-Fi, which contains some user discussion on the review that may be relevant to read: http://www.head-fi.org/t/635893/mini-review-stax-sr-009

- download a printable 6-page PDF version of this mini-review (right-click the link & save target, or just tap for mobile devices)

Intro

I've been an owner of the HeadAmp BHSE for just over 3 years so far, which I use with the Stax SR-007 (OII MKI). My opinion of the OII/BHSE is that it forms the best headphone system that I've heard and is so amazing that it's changed me on the inside forever and continues to do so every time I listen to it.

Things just never stay still in the headphone world though, and when the SR-009 came out, of course I had to hear it. I got that opportunity at a few audio shows & Head-Fi meets over the last year, but those experiences didn't compel me enough to buy an SR-009 for myself. Despite that, I still remained optimistic and held out hope to one day hear one on my own system, to see if my CD player would make a difference. I finally got that chance recently thanks largely to CanJam@RMAF 2012, where I managed to acquire a loan from one of the most reliable sources that I know of (who shall remain nameless).

This mini-review is based on approximately 3 weeks of listening—not an ideal length of time for me, as I usually prefer to devote at least a month for a review, if not longer. My usual disclaimer applies: my opinion of the SR-009 shouldn't be considered final and is subject to change.

Reviewer Biases & Info, Equipment Setup, etc

For those who haven't seen it before, here's a link to one of my more recent mini-reviews; nothing has changed since then with the exception of my equipment setup: http://www.head-fi.org/products/audeze-lcd3-planar-magnetic-headphone/reviews/10298

Here's a breakdown of my current equipment setup:
- Source component: Plinius CD-101 (CD player) (power cord: Signal Cable Silver Resolution Reference - directly into wall)
- Analog interconnects: Emotiva X-Series XLR
- Headphone amplifier: HeadAmp Blue Hawaii SE w/ stock Mullard EL34 tubes (power cord: Parasound AWG12)
- Comparison headphones: Stax SR-007 (OII MKI)

Evaluation Music

CDs by the following artists/bands, by genre:

- Bluegrass: Alison Krauss & Union Station, Sierra Hull
- Classical: Carlos Kleiber & VPO, Julia Fischer, Nicola Benedetti
- Electronica/Trip-Hop: Goldfrapp, Massive Attack, Orbital, The Crystal Method, Trifonic
- Jazz: Dave Brubeck, Lee Morgan, Tord Gustavsen
- Rock: Porcupine Tree, Radiohead
- Metal: In Flames, Helloween, Megadeth, Meshuggah

Preconceptions & Initial Impressions

I had one big preconception of the SR-009 going into this review—I thought it would be like an electrostatic equivalent of the Sony Qualia 010. Not for any particular, logical reason, just an assumption based on informal listening in show/meet environments.

After having formally heard the SR-009 now, I'd now call my assumption to be false and I no longer think the SR-009 and Qualia 010 to be each other's equivalents in an electrostatic/dynamic kind of way. More to the point, I think the two headphones are clearly different from each other sonically. The Qualia 010 is probably best described as a very treble-oriented headphone, with a very wide & open soundstage, extremely clear-sounding, and fast (as in impulse response). To me, it remains the single clearest-sounding headphone that I've ever heard, of any type, eclipsing the SR-009 as well. Its treble also remains the best that I've heard to date—perfectly pristine and sharp. Not that the SR-009 had "bad" treble—it's just that I think the Qualia has the right amount of treble energy to make music sound realistically trebly, when necessary. I'm sure there are lots of people who would find the Qualia over-bright—but IMO, its treble quantity is perfectly realistic and remains my benchmark for all future headphones.

As far as initial impressions, to say that the SR-009 was a disappointment would be an understatement. I thought there'd be a significant difference between it and the OII MKI, but on first listen, I found that the two headphones were more similar than different and that the SR-009 didn't offer any immediately-obvious advantages over the OII MKI. It was clear that I'd have to do very critical listening in order to identify any sonic advantages it had.

Listening Test #1 - Synopsis

Although the OII MKI is admittedly my classical & jazz headphone primarily, I use it relatively often for other music genres as well, including electronica/trip-hop, folk/bluegrass, pop/rock, & metal. I consider the OII MKI as the single most "neutral"-sounding headphone that I've ever heard, of any type—almost every other headphone I've heard has had some type of overt sonic coloration, from brands like AKG, Audio-Technica, Beyerdynamic, Grado, Sennheiser, etc. The only other specific headphone models I'd class as close to "neutral" are the Grado HP1000 and JH Audio JH13 (IEMs). And no, I don't consider the Audeze headphones to be neutral either, though the LCD-2 r2 is certainly closer than the LCD-3. How do I define "neutral"? Mostly by the OII MKI and previously the HP1000—a balance between the bass, mid-range, & treble where none of them over-balance each other, providing a tone & timbre that sounds "realistic" when playing instruments that exist in real life, like a violin, which I'm intimately familiar with as a violinist. The OII MKI and the HP1000 are the only headphones, electrostatic or dynamic, that I've heard which I'd call neutral—none of the other full-size headphones I've heard to date deserve such a label, IMO.

With that said, I found that the SR-009 was relatively neutral-sounding too, though not quite as much as the OII MKI, with a marginal bass & mid-range detraction and slightly elevated treble. I'd summarize it as a somewhat brighter- and thinner-sounding OII MKI overall, but not excessively so, just marginally. And although I'd call the SR-009 "brighter" than the OII MKI comparatively, I wouldn't call the SR-009 "bright" per se, certainly not on the level of headphones like the Sennheiser HD800, let alone the Sony Qualia 010. The SR-009 was actually very well-balanced to me, easily more balanced-sounding than the dynamic (or orthodynamic) flagships that I've heard from Audeze, Beyerdynamic, and Sennheiser.

To summarize the SR-009's distinction versus the popular dynamics that I've heard: compared to both the Audeze LCD-2 and LCD-3, I'd say that it has a lot more clarity & treble quantity and a wider, more open soundstage. It's also more laid-back and passive-sounding compared to the assertive sound that the Audeze headphones have, without the visceral & tactile mid-range/bass either. I'd consider the SR-009 more loosely similar to the Sennheiser HD800, in that it has a similar level of clarity throughout the spectrum (but being better than the HD800), along with a similar passive sound, and a very generally similar sort of frequency-spectrum balance, except being better. Or to put it another way, I might say the SR-009 is sort of like a fixed version of the HD800 for me—less treble snarl/gnash, more mid-range quantity, more extended bass & treble, and a more accurate, smaller soundstage. (I'll note here that my HD800 thoughts are from it amped by the HeadAmp GS-X, and not a tube amp, which I might say is optimal for it.)

Listening Test #2 - Classical Music

My most critical listen throughout this review was classical music—specifically, the Adagio from the Violin Concerto in E major (BWV 1042) on Julia Fischer's Bach Concertos (or track 8 on this CD), which IMO remains the single best, most amazing display of prowess of the OII MKI/BHSE. There are so many awesome qualities that are revealed by the OII MKI, so my first question was, would this track sound even better on the SR-009?

No, it didn't, and the SR-009 actually ended up being somewhat of a bitter disappointment. Ok sure, the music still sounded technically "amazing" on the SR-009. It was also still way, way better than all of the dynamic headphones I've heard. And to its credit, it was still on the same plane of existence as the OII MKI.

However, the problem with the SR-009 was that it just wasn't as good as the OII MKI, and it had none of the OII's "magic" or x-factor either. On this track, the OII reveals so many details: Fischer's beautiful, pure, & radiating tone; a direct intimacy to her violin, so close you can practically hear into it; the vanishingly subtle rises & falls in intensity; an almost heat-like warmth quality; the organic sense of the orchestra. All of those details were subtracted with the SR-009—most of them completely! The SR-009's portrayal took away so many of those details that the music reverted to simply sounding like a really good pre-recorded performance and not something that was being played live, like the OII MKI can do.

I tried other classical CDs as well to round out the test and would put my position of the SR-009 for classical music this way: saying that the SR-009 is ideal for classical music would be like saying the same for the Sennheiser HD800—which is not something that I can personally agree with. I think of the HD800 to be a less-than-stellar headphone for classical due to some serious flaws, most notably the unrealistic & unnatural tone and timbre of the instruments in the orchestra, especially violins. It was the same way with the SR-009, which gave too much treble emphasis on violins so that they became wispy-sounding. Also like the HD800, the SR-009 "split" the 1st Violin section too much so that the violins sounded more like individual violins rather than a unified section body. There are only 2 headphones I've heard that properly portray the unified body concept, the OII MKI and the Grado HP1000—which should be the goal for accuracy, but most headphones fail to achieve it and the SR-009 was no exception.

Listening Test #3 - Versus The OII MKI

Comparing the SR-009 and OII MKI directly against each other across multiple genres of music was both educational and introspective—it repeatedly made me ask myself which headphone sounded more accurate, which one was more rewarding & satisfying to listen to, and most importantly, which was better, if one could be called better than the other.

I ended up concluding that the OII MKI essentially beat the pants off the SR-009. The SR-009 was certainly a very strong contender though, and I'd affirm that it's definitely among the best-sounding headphones overall of any type. Easily among the Top 5 that I've heard to date. I might as well list my Top 5 for reference (not necessarily in order, as I don't "rank" headphones per se): (1) Stax OII MKI, (2) Sony Qualia 010, (3) Grado HP1000, (4) JH Audio JH13, and now (5) Stax SR-009. Moreover, I'd call the SR-009 probably one of the most technically-amazing headphones that I've heard to date, after the Qualia 010. Very clean- & clear-sounding, inherently fast (i.e., impulse response), and appropriately diffuse-sounding with very good separation between layers/instruments.

But the SR-009 wasn't really that awesome next to the OII MKI. The most notable difference to me was the lack of "magic" or x-factor like the OII has. The OII was also simply more natural- & authentic-sounding in the mid-range with a fuller sound and heavier, more physical-feeling bass. Or to put it another way, the OII had more impactful drums & bass lines, heavier guitars, and more vocal presence. This made the OII MKI seem like a more musically versatile headphone, as it played electric & synthesized music very well too. I thought the SR-009 was at its best with primarily acoustic, laid-back types of music—classical, jazz, folk, etc. However, it didn't fare as well with trip-hop, pop/rock, & metal, as it lacked the OII's mid-range, mid-bass, & bass spark to really make them come alive.

I also felt that the SR-009's imaging was a step down from the OII MKI's. Granted, it did have a wide, deep soundstage that felt more 3D due to the increased z-axis depth and some added height as well, but it also felt narrower than the OII. More importantly, the SR-009 did not have clearly-delineated walls in the soundstage and felt very flat & vapid. Or in other words, it had a very limited ability to clearly render reverberation and the sense of sound waves reflecting throughout the virtual soundstage. It was because of this aspect that despite having a smaller soundstage, the OII actually sounded "bigger" and more "expansive" than the SR-009, as it allowed sound to really fill up "everywhere" to the point of hitting the walls, so to speak.

Needless to say, this affected "scale" as well, as the SR-009 never quite sounded as "big" as the OII MKI and consistently failed to deliver a sweeping "wall of sound" that wrapped from one end of the soundstage to the other. The SR-009's idea of a "wall of sound" felt like a small, translucent wall instead that was just sad in comparison.

Tube Rolling & Gain/Volume

I briefly tried the Genalex Gold Lion KT77s on the SR-009 and would have to say that these tubes had a better effect on the SR-009 than the OII MKI. I've found that these tubes add bass impact and more body to the mid-range, which was a better result on the SR-009 than the OII MKI. The KT77s didn't rectify the SR-009's sonic issues for me though, but there was still an appreciable added difference with them.

The issue of gain is one that's been reported by other SR-009/BHSE owners, but I didn't run into this issue myself, as my specific BHSE has a lower gain than normal due to its configuration of Stax Pro + Normal jacks. This made my BHSE well-suited for driving the SR-009, as I could achieve just about any volume that I wanted, even from the 4V RMS balanced output of my source.

On the subject of sensitivity, I found that the SR-009 required about 3 less steps on my DACT-configured BHSE to achieve approximately the same volume as the OII MKI. I also tried turning up the volume to moderately high levels on the SR-009 to see how it would respond and it continued to sound very good even at high levels. No issues or detractions that I can report from high volume.

Conclusion

The SR-009 ended up being about as underwhelming & disappointing to me as it is expensive, and I'd have to dissent with the prevalent opinion among other Head-Fiers that it's one of the best headphones currently in production, electrostatic or not. I saw it as essentially a step backwards from the OII MKI—enough that I'd degrade its ranking to "above average" from the OII MKI's "excellent".

I view the OII MKI as the superior headphone and recommend it instead for anyone truly seeking a serious & honest high-end electrostatic setup.

For reference, these are some other headphones that I rank as "above average"—Audeze LCD-3, Beyerdynamic T1, Grado HP1000, Sennheiser HD800, Shure SRH1840, and Stax SR-507. However, just because I classify the SR-009 as being "above average" doesn't mean I think it actually deserves the company of those other headphones, as I think it's better than all of them. It's just that it ultimately fell short of being "excellent" to me, as did those other headphones. As might be inferred, there's a lot of subjective gray area within my rankings, which is intentional—I've historically avoided numerically ranking gear for numerous reasons, not the least of which is that it's extremely subjective and prone to misinterpretation. The only reason I have a ranking scale that goes from "atrocious" to "excellent" is to help identify equipment that truly stands out from the rest. "Average" for me includes headphones like the AKG K2xx/K70x, most of the Audio-Technica woodies, most of the Grado models made under John Grado, Sennheiser HD6xx, etc—i.e., most of the venerable classics that sound very good to the highest cross-section of Head-Fiers with mid-level gear & experience. It's easy for most headphones to fall under "average" to me for this reason—there aren't very many that are below-average or atrocious to me. "Below-average" to me includes the Audio-Technica ATH-ES7 and Sennheiser HD419 (both of which I own—yes, I'm critical even of the headphones that I own!) and the new Denon AH-D7100, for example. Finally, "atrocious" includes Apple iBuds. Enough said?

My ranking system is in place primarily for two reasons: (1) to help set reasonable expectations for newbie or mid-level Head-Fiers seeking to upgrade, (2) to help equalize the field among the high-end options for high-level Head-Fiers seeking to sidegrade or upgrade—i.e., someone who's heard as much dynamic gear as I have who thinks the HD800 is one of the best headphones available might come to the conclusion that he might not need to get an SR-009 or the BHSE. Or someone who already owns the SR-009 and BHSE might conclude that he needs to try an SR-007. Or conversely, someone who owns the OII MKI and BHSE might conclude that he doesn't need to try the SR-009. ;)

Related Reading

- Stax SR-007 & HeadAmp Blue Hawaii SE review & story: http://www.head-fi.org/t/598589/review-story-stax-sr-007-headamp-blue-hawaii-se
- Audeze LCD-3 mini-review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/audeze-lcd3-planar-magnetic-headphone/reviews/10298
- Beyerdynamic T1 review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-tesla-t1/reviews/10295

- Sennheiser HD800 review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd-800-headphones/reviews/10294

Addendum - Review Notes

My review notes are included here in their own section for convenience. These provide specific detailed info not included in the review. Notes start below the asterisks.

***
009 not the electrostatic equivalent of Qualia, as previously thought.

009 imaging more divergent/diffuse. More front- & center-loaded, not as close & wide as 007. Almost like a shell, but large. Instrument positioning further away, yet lacks the "air" of the 007 that allows details like reflected sound to be heard on it. Reflected sound not very apparent on 009. Room acoustics in general not as clear on 009 as on 007.

Spatially-larger imaging on 009—narrower width than 007, but more depth & height, more of a 3D-like effect. More "air" in the acoustics. Somewhat HD800-like, but not as much as HD800.

Deeper mids & bass on 007—more of a heavier, almost physical sound, for a stat that is (dynamics tend to sound more physical than stats). 009 lighter- or thinner-sounding with more treble quantity, but not as much as Qualia (or even the HD800). Relative to 007, not absolute.

SR-007 consistently more percussive sounding (harder-sounding pops).

Despite lack of stats sounding "direct" in general, 007 sounds more direct & assertive than 009. 009 more laid-back and passive.

Reverb more pronounced on 007, allows ambient electronica to sound more "space-filling" than on 009 where it sounds vapid. Sounds "bigger" on 007 due to clearly-delineated walls. No clear "walls" on 009. 009 like HD800 in this aspect—neither has walls, they just sound open & empty yet flat at the same time.

Violin tone more natural/authentic on 007, more wispy & ghostly on 009. 009 also reduces "unified body" of 1st violin section—too much of an individual-violins effect, not enough of the group effect. 007 renders a properly intact 1st violin section. 007 also tends to put the listener position at the conductor; 009 puts the listener in the audience row. 007 also renders more detail in violin-bowing technique—speed, inflection, etc.

009 loses the 007's magic/x-factor—the intensity, the live-performance surrealistic immersion. 009 slides back to more of a pre-recorded music feel. 007 has a more tactile/visceral sound, esp in bass/mids. 007 has more depth/richness/fullness in mids than 009—i.e., violins & vocals "swell" more on 007. 007 has more "fill" factor. 007 capable of a more powerful/intense sound.

007's smaller soundstage and mids better-suited for jazz. 007 "brassier" and "reedier" sounding than 009, which loses those elements.

Piano semi-plinky on 009—lack of depth/weight to notes. Not enough "weight" to various instruments on jazz recordings on 009, notably piano & brass (Dave Brubeck, Steve Kuhn). A440 that should "pound" on Brubeck's Time Out LE doesn't really pound on 009. More integrated imaging on 007 better for jazz, puts listener more in with the group (a la Grado HP1000, but not as much).

Julia Fischer Bach Concertos track #8: 007 captures a more beautiful, radiating, pure tone on Fischer's violin than 009. The almost heat-shimmering radiance not there on 009. 007 also has more of a chamber-orchestra feel than 009 in terms of the imaging, like you're in with the orchestra, practically right next to Fischer, which is probably more accurate. 009 has more of a sitting-away-from-the-orchestra feel. 007 does have smoother treble, sort of negatively affects edginess of harpsichord specifically, but nothing that overly detracts from it.

CD albums used for review:
- Alison Krauss & Union Station - So Long So Wrong, Paper Airplane
- Sierra Hull - Secrets, Daybreak
- The Crystal Method - Vegas [2007 Deluxe Edition]
- Tord Gustavsen - Changing Places
- Trifonic - Emergence

Pros: Well crafted, detailed and realistic timbre

Cons: Price

As the subjective sound quality of the SR-009 has been extensively discussed in the other reviews, I will focus on my objective experiences. Whenever I purchase new high-end products, I always choose to run a blind test consisting of the model in question alongside other high-end headphones. This time, the comparison counterparts included the LCD-3, HD800, HD650 and Orpheus.

My subjective impressions always tend to take a similar route: there exists a very strong correlation between the price tag and the sound quality that I perceive. It was no different this time. Therefore, I performed the blind test on ten participants who are all fellow classical musicians in a blindfolded setting (with the volume matched etc).

The results this time were indeterminate. However, the HD800 came last followed by the Orpheus. After the blindfolds were removed, the Orpheus was unanimously agreed as having the best sound quality (the Orpheus does look rather magnificent). The Stax was chosen to have the best sound quality by three people.

This kind of test demonstrates that all these high end headphones do not have such a huge disparity in sound quality as made out by other subjective reviews. Therefore, I am always slightly let down by products with such a steep price tag as the Stax. Evidently it is not as steep as the Orpheus, however, for this money, I believe it is more worthwhile buying a pair of speakers.

I believe it is also important to stress that the superlatives associated with this headphone should be taken with a grain of salt, in fact several pounds would suffice. I do not think that the SR-009 sounds bad. On the contrary, I believe it sounds fantastic (I had very similar experiences to Currawong's review). However, as this test has demonstrated, it does not outperform other high end counterparts with noticeable significance (this is especially noteworthy as the other test headphones except for the Orpheus are considerably cheaper than the Stax).

Hence all in all, I believe that the SR-009 is an outstanding piece of gear, but by no means the King of headphones.

Pros: Detailed

Cons: Expensive

Will write a review after I have had them for a while. smily_headphones1.gif

Pros: World-class build quality. Extremely comfortable. Detailed and utterly effortless sound.

Cons: Ridiculously expensive.

STAX have always been the choice when it comes to ultimate transparency through headphones, thanks to their superior electrostatic designs. When you listen to a good STAX headphone, suddenly everything sounds more like live music. The soundstage is perfectly defined, dynamics are explosive yet effortless, and the tiniest nuances and textures in the music come through clearly as can be with an absolute naturalness - all with a smoothness of sound that makes even the best dynamic headphones sound somehow rough around the edges.

In some ways, the SR-009 is the best headphone STAX has ever produced, but not in every way.

Starting with the build quality, its definitely a big step up from earlier models, including the SR-007. Materials and assembly exude a remarkable level of precision, with solid aluminum and soft leather of the highest quality. The earpieces are held together by the arc in a less "fixed" fashion than most headphones, which results in the SR-009 kind of hanging on the sides of your head. This makes for a loose fit, but also excellent comfort. Definitely a better fit than the SR-007, in my opinion.

The sound signature of the SR-009 leans more in the direction of the older Lambda series than to that of the SR-007, but with a somewhat firmer bass foundation than the Lambdas. Bass texture and definition is spectacular, and low-end impact is actually perfectly satisfactory. It just feels like the drivers are extremely well controlled, because the bass just seems so agile. Extension is also first-rate. The bass, while punchy, is lighter in mass than that of the SR-007 mk1, which gives equally airy but more substantial and in my opinion more realistic bass.

To give some perspective on how much bass quantity we're talking about, expect something in between the Sennheiser HD 800 and Beyerdynamic T1.

Midrange is right where it should be in the mix, with a wonderful acuity and airiness to vocals and instruments. I do feel, however, that there is something missing. There is a slight absence of warmth in the sound, leaving vocals in particular ever so slightly lacking in organic presence. It's a slight deviation, but at this price one can't be anything but picky with such details. If you find the midrange of the HD 800 to be tonally spot-on, you'll appreciate the SR-009 too. If, however, you think the midrange of the Audeze LCD-2 rev 2, SR-007 and also some Lambdas is perfectly natural, I think the SR-009 will sound just a tad sterile to you. And I do not find the clarity to be beyond what the SR-007 can accomplish when its driven to its full potential, as some people claim. But that's just me.

Then there is the treble, which I think is excellent. Fast, airy, detailed and everything one can expect from a great electrostatic transducer. While some will argue about it being brighter than optimal, it's not forward relative to the midrange and bass and feels as even and extended as one can even wish for, without ever sounding sharp or strained. To my ears it's right at the spot to provide accurate imaging without overdoing high-frequency instruments. Bright or not bright, the SR-009 certainly has more sparkle and energy to its sound than the SR-007. While less warm and inviting, the SR-009 is the more lively sounding of the two.

Oh and speaking of imaging, its up there with the best too. Depth of field is exemplary, almost 3D-like (kind of similar to what I heard with the Beyerdynamic T1) with very good layering. The headphone distinctly portrays all of the individual sound components in the recording with no confusion whatsoever. While the cheaper STAX models never hint at confusion during complex music pieces either, I think the SR-009 is the best of the bunch in terms of pin-point imaging. However, the shape of the soundstage itself is more spherical and less stage-like than that of the SR-007. When you listen to the SR-007 well amped, it gives a very special sense of distance and acoustic timbre, like sitting in an actual room (for a headphone, that is). The SR-009 is more enveloping, and more forward. Less room-feel and more "space" feel. Some will prefer it, and some will prefer the SR-007.

As good as this headphone is - and it's excellent, no questioning it - I feel that, judging its performance relative to other STAX headphones, it doesn't justify the price. Die-hard audiophiles with hefty wallets should consider the SR-009, but if you're on a limited budget I wouldn't say the 009 is worth it. And (IMHO) a well-amped SR-007 mk1 may even be preferred. The SR-007 gives a warmer, more stage-like and somewhat more realistic presentation of music - whereas the SR-009 has a more monitor-like portrayal, a more spherical soundstage that puts music around you rather than pushing it up front and gives up some organic warmth in favor of a slightly more analytical (though not HD 800-analytical, or even SR-507 analytical) tone. I think the SR-007 does better in the midrange and in coming closer to what live music sounds like, but I think the SR-009 has more "oomph" and dynamic potency to its sound, mainly because of what I find is a more "snappy" bass and more treble presence.

In short, I would say the SR-009 is a technically perfected but slightly less warm sounding headphone than the old Lambdas (I'm talking Lambda Pro, Nova signature etc), and should not be seen as better version of the SR-007. It's not, the two headphones are quite a bit different and you'll just have to decide what you want and what you value most. The SR-009 is a much fancier construction, more comfortable to my ears and its sound will appeal more to some than that of the 007. The SR-007 requires heavy amping (the STAX amps in standard setting are not powerful enough) while the SR-009 will work well with the SRM-007TII. But if I had to choose a headphone to enjoy music in the best possible way, my personal choice would be the SR-007.

Stax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphones
By:

With a completely new multi-layer diaphragm, electrodes and aluminium enclosure, the SR-009 goes further than even the highly regarded SR-007 "Omega II" in resolving the finest details in music with pin-point imaging. Voices and instruments are reproduced with astounding realism, limited only by the resolution of the source used. The absolute pinnacle of headphone listening.

Cord TypeSilver-plated 6N (99.99999%) OFC low-capacity wide cable