Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Shure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black)

Shure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black)

Rated #266 in Headphones

Pros: Crisp and details, decent staging image

Cons: Bass is lacking when connected to PC soundard 1/8"

Summary

Very solid headphone , even if it feels plastiky, as many of reviewers mentionned.

I use it on my PC to perform remixes and audio remastering using verious tools such as AUdacity, Acid and MixMeister.

Tried on my home theater (marantz SR5001) and I am not impressed with bass impact.

This bings me to a question :

What amplifier shoud I consider in order to get stronger bass ?

Pros: Sound Quality, Design

Cons: Comfort, Build Quality

Officially releasing in February of 2010 the Shure SRH750 DJ was a headphone more inclined towards a "DJing" lifestyle, with the ability to fold and also swivel into different positions making it possible to wear them in any position that you would like. They also feature a single removable coiled cable, although a separate straight cable can be purchased anywhere online. I have had these for about six months and still believe that I have mixed feelings on my overall opinion about these headphones. They cost anywhere from 90-150 USD classifying them as a mid-range headphone but do they live up to their name? Let’s find out.

First off let’s start with the physical attributes of these cans. They weigh 8oz and although that doesn’t seem like much, these headphones seem to feel bulky, and awkward on the head. The ear cups are over-ear, therefore your ears won’t hurt as bad after prolonged listening. Although that still doesn’t mean that they are relatively comfortable (When I say comfortable I do not mean that they hurt at all but they just feel bothersome on the head). The pads are stiff and feel rather hard leaving one to make a decision whether to keep these uncomfortable pads or compromise sound quality and the headphones “seal” by getting velour ear pads. The SRH750 DJ also has a nifty folding feature allowing you to easily store them in the SHURE branding carrying bag that is included with the headphones along with a screw on ¼ in. plug to attach to the end of the 10ft long coiled cable. I love the overall look of this headphone as it has a very premium and durable look to them but once you have them in your hands that feeling disappears as they seem to be made of some kind of plastic and tend frequently make creaking noises. This makes me question the durability the 750 DJ’s. Another small problem I had with the design of these headphones is when they are on your head the headband literally flattens instead of curving like a normal headphone. I thoroughly enjoy the look of these headphones but based off comfort and the materials used I cannot recommend these based off of their physical characteristics.

On the technical side, regarding to the sound quality of the 750 DJ’s, I was surprised. Offering a frequency response of 5hz-30000hz and a 50mm driver the bass that these give off is just right. It’s not boomy but at the same time it isn’t recessed either, and while the bass was the main focus of these headphones they do not disappoint in the highs or the mids either. Vocals are extremely crisp and clear making you almost feel like part of the music, and I’ve while noticed listening to these I’ve heard aspects of music I hadn’t heard before. Shure certainly did something right with the sound of these headphones I have no complaints about the audio quality and can easily say that the it is good enough to overlook to physical problems within this headphone. The only problem I have is with an impedance of 32 ohms they should easily be ran off of any mp3 player or cell phone but unfortunately in order to get the best listening experience from them you will need an amp. ‘

In conclusion the Shure SRH 750 DJ’s are a very good sounding headphone if you can get over a few problems like comfort, the squeaking of the headphones, and the stiffness of the ear pads/headband, then you will be in for a real treat with the amazing sound quality put out by these cans. I give them a solid 8.2.

Pros: Bass heavy. Doesn't drown out the mids like lots of similar phones. Coiled cable. Good looks.

Cons: Build quality feels a little cheap and flimsy, can be just a tiny bit uncomfortable.

I ordered these along with three other pairs of headphones to find a good bass-heavy pair in this price range for electronic music and death metal. I tried the Denon AH-D1100, the Ultrasone HFi 780, and the ever-popular Audio-Technica ATH-M50. The Shures won me over by quite a big margin.

The problem I have with so many high-end headphones is that the mids disappear in a sea of harsh highs. When using the Ultrasones and Audio-Technicas, I found that the meat of my metal music--that is, the crunching guitar riffs and growly vocals--were far too difficult to hear. Sure, the bass in those other headphones never disappointed, and high parts--like guitar solos, cymbals, and higher singing vocals--sounded great, but everything else was just...missing.

The Shures felt much more balanced than everything else. They still have some great bass punch, and you can still hear the highs well (though they could stand to be a touch louder), but the mids really come through nicely. I know some other reviewers here have noted that the mids sound recessed, but compared to the other similar bass-heavy phones, this was absolutely not the case in my listening. They sound great.

Note: I have recently paired these with a Fiio E10 on my computer, and the sound is noticeably better. And I don't consider myself an audiophile, either--it's a pretty clear, noticeable difference. I recommend checking out an external DAC/amp with these phones if you like them. If you plan on using them with a portable device, make sure you get one that's compatible (like the E7 or the E17 instead) since they need a bit more power to drive if you want the volume. With an E7, I can actually turn up the volume loud enough to hear in noisy environments (like a plane)--my iPad alone couldn't quite hack it.

Build and Comfort

This is where the headphones lack, in my opinion. The build quality doesn't feel very durable to me. It's plastic, like other phones, but the plastic that gets exposed when you resize the headband feels very flimsy, and the plastic creaks a ton when you move them around. It isn't a huge deal as I have yet to have any issues with it, but they just don't feel as nice as, say, the incredibly-built ATH-M50s.

The ear pads are round instead of oval, which many people don't like but I didn't mind. In fact, it made my large ears feel a bit less cramped, so I like them. Not quite as cushion-y as other headphones (like, again, the M50), but I don't find them at all uncomfortable. What I do find uncomfortable is the headband. It isn't horrible, but there isn't very much padding, and after an hour or two of wear, I can definitely feel it pressing down on one specific part of my head. Usually I just adjust them forward or back and inch and it's fine, but it's still a minor annoyance. The sound still made the headphones better than everything I tried in the given price range, the comfort was just a slight bummer rather than a deal killer.

The cord is detachable and coiled, which is actually very nice. It gives you the range of a long cord without having a big bird's nest of tangles to deal with.

They fold up nicely and come with a little leather carrying case, which is handy to have.

In short: Yet another bassy headphone, but better for playing things like metal where the mids are really important. Durability and build quality is lower than I would like, but hardly a deal killer.

Try it alongside: The Audio Technica ATH-M50s or the Ultrasone HFi 780s. All great cans if you're looking for a bassy headphone in this price range but don't know exactly what you want.

Pros: Sound quality good, durability, bass response

Cons: Plastic design, not too portable, mids

Amping: I disagree with the idea that these headphones require significant amping, as I use these out of my iPod and laptop all the time and, while amping would be a nice addition, certainly run fine off of an iPod. They have very nice bass quality, and enough quantity to give a head-rattling when properly EQ'd, while not as powerful as the XB500's.

Music Genres: I find these headphones best suited for electronic, dance, and hip-hop music genres, as well as music that doesn't focus highly on acoustic sounds. While I do listen to rock music with these, I found that in comparison to a headphone like the Ath-M50, they couldn't truly produce the same shine in the genre.

The midrange is somewhat lacking in these headphones, and possibly the most neglected of the spectrum. Highs are good and have precise detail, but the biggest focus in these headphones are certainly the bass; they are very quick to catch the beat in even the fastest techno songs. The soundstage has a good size as well.

Design/Durability/Comfort: These headphones are very durable and can take a lot, at least in my experiences with them. Their plastic design may seem cheap and delicate, but I disagree. And also, since you may be considering the purchase of these headphones, I will inform you in advance that they do come with a very nonspecific State of California Warning, which I can only presume has to do with a possible chemical treated on the white plastic parts to ensure durability (as long as you are not trying to ingest your headphones, I wouldn't worry too much). While I'm not a fan of bad chemicals, this was added most likely to keep the plastic from cracking or breaking. The plastic can creak when you are moving around, but stationary I do not find it very noticeable.

Most people say that the Shure headband design is a "hit it or miss it," so if the headband doesn't work for you, it may not be a good idea to stick with them. The adjustment sizes can also run a bit small, so if you have a fairly large head you may want to try these on before purchase.

While not the most comfortable, I can wear these for hours without any real pain or soreness. Kind of like a basic bed, it provides decent sleeping conditions but isn't overly plush or makes you feel like you are sleeping on a cloud.

Portability: For a while I used these for portable, on-the-go scenarios as well as at home. The leather pads (not sure if they are authentic or PU) can get hot easily if you are not in an environment that is below about 80 degrees F. This may be a redundant remark for most, but living in Florida if you aren't in a place with A/C it is probably not a good idea to use these as they get very hot and stuffy inside the ear cups.

They are also bulky and, as I mentioned previously, the plastic can creak. While the style of the headphones is pretty nice, they are a little big to be wearing in public unless you don't mind. I am not using the Sennheiser HD-25-II's for portable use, and they are much better for this purpose. However, I am not as big of a fan of the sound signature as I am of these, and cannot wear them for as long of a duration.

(Not being a big audiophile I did not want to go into much detail on SQ so as not to give people any wrong impressions.)smile_phones.gif

Oh and sorry for accidentally uploading that picture of them on the banana stand... I didn't know it would make it the main picture.

Pros: light wight, large size, good low end, durable

Cons: too much plastic, not enough head grip, very high power needs

These headphones are a good midrange point for those who are looking for a foot in the door with high end audio. These are by no means meant for listening to something like "Moonlight Sonata" in your living room though. These were designed for DJ's, producers, and those that work in a professional music environment or those who need to hear what they are listening to at very high sound levels. That isn't to say that they couldn't be used in an everyday situation when listening to music, but they require a fairly powerful amplifier for them to show their full potential.

The three songs that I use to test are Toccata and Fugue-J.S. Bach, Feuer Frei-Rammstein, and Return of the Clockwork Monster-Klippa. I have listened to these headphone through (from least to most powerful amp) a Sansa fuze, an Ipad, a laptop, a mixing board, a shelf stereo, and a vintage home theater receiver. And I can say with a good amount of confidence that unless you are planning on carrying around a portable headphone amp, these will be near unusable in a mobile setting. The bass will be almost non-existant, the highs will sound hollow, and it will be a generally unpleasant experience. When these are properly powered though, listening becomes quite enjoyable. I think the closest companion these have in the mainstream market would be the Sennheiser 518's.

Pros: Strong bass, Good mids and highs, good sound overall

Cons: build quality, durability, comfort, needs to be amped

I am rewriting this review as when I wrote it I had no idea what I was talking about.

Durability/Design

These cans are made of very brittle cheap plastic that could snap easily. This is constantly reminded to you every time you move your head as these tend to creak. I have heard countless stories of them snapping. But at the same time the design looks really sweet. With a silver/black color they are very visually appealing. I also found that the ear pads get cracked and broken really fast. Luckily it comes with a set of spare pads. The detachable cable is very much appreciated.

My biggest complaint with these headphones is the comfort. They are very tight on your head and the ear pads are round instead of oval. This causes discomfort. I found my ears became red after a good hour of listening.

Sound Quality

These are good cans for any basshead who can handle poor build quality and discomfort.

Highs: Extended well and slightly harsh. But they are rich.

Mids: Slightly recessed. Still Holds many details.

Lows/Bass: Over emphasized to the extreme. Reaches low into sub bass territory. Doesn't bleed into the mids. And is very Musical.

Soundstage: Decently large for a closed bassy can. Things sounded like they were happening around me.

Speed: Fast bass response.

Preferred genres: Electronic, hip/hop, bassy music. Plays Heavy Metal really well.

Not good with classical or jazz or slow rock.

Amp is recommended

Final Thoughts:

These are good just be prepared to use the warranty in the 2 year period.

Shure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black)

Featuring 50 mm neodymium dynamic drivers, a 3 meter detachable cable and weighing only 227 grams, the SRH750DJ is designed for the professional DJ. The SRH750 also provides a collapsible design for total comfort and portability, a second set of ear cushions, a carrying pouch and a threaded ¼-Inch adapter.

BindingElectronics
BrandShure
ColorBlack
EAN0042406171595
FeatureIncludes a carrying pouch and threaded ¼-Inch adapter
Height9.5 inches
Product GroupCE
Product Type NameHEADPHONES
PublisherShure Incorporated
StudioShure Incorporated
TitleShure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black)
UPC042406171595
Batteries Included1
Is Autographed0
Is Memorabilia0
Special FeaturesThe Shure SRH750DJ Headphones deliver world-class audio performance, comfort, and durability to professional DJs. High impedance and maximized power handling optimize these Shure headphones for use on high-output DJ mixers. Comfortable, padded ear cups swivel 90 degrees and allow easy placement on one ear when mixing. Replaceable cable and included set of replacement ear pads ensure a long-lasting lifetime of use. They also include come with a carrying bag and a threaded 1/4-inch gold-plated ada
Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Shure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black)