Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Shure SRH1540 Headphones

Shure SRH1540 Headphones

Rated #95 in Over-Ear

Pros: Bass, mids, smooth and clear treble, comfort

Cons: Poorly recorded tracks can suffer bass bloat

**I edited this review on 2/28/14 to include some new thoughts.  I placed the edits at the bottom of this review**

This review is a little unique for me.  Firstly, I'm more comfortable and experienced at writing reviews of amplifiers and DACs.  Writing a headphone review is a new thing for me.  Secondly, this is my first foray into premium closed headphones.  I've heard many closed cans in my day, but my premium cans have always been open.  This is my first attempt at analyzing flagship closed cans.

Review system:

Trafomatic Head One and Schiit Bifrost Uber.  Apple lossless files fed to Bifrost via coax.

Ok, let's get down to it.  Some reviews have already been posted, so I'm not going to rehash everything or reinvent the wheel.  Anyway, here we go.

Let's start with the lower frequencies because these cans are known for their bass.  There is a lot of bass, but I wouldn't call these bass cannons simply because it's controlled, textured, detailed, and not bloated.  It digs deep when it needs to, but it never seems to distract from the other frequencies.  When I first fired them up, I was shocked at how powerful the bass was because my reference cans are the Sennheiser HD600s, which aren't necessarily bass light, but they're not going to please too many bass heads anytime soon.  The bass is extremely enjoyable, but I'd say it's north of accurate.  It is emphasized, but done in a pleasing way.  If I was to nitpick, there is a weakness with poor recordings.  Some of the lesser quality bass tracks can come across as bloated, which can interfere with the other frequencies.  Is this is function of the headphones or recording studio?  Both, I'd say, because these headphones aren't forgiving in the bass region.

Mids are excellent.  They are very accurate and life-like.  Guitars are rendered with appropriate crunch.  The same can be said for saxophones and violins.  Dave Matthews Band live sounds exquisite through these headphones.  Male voices are not washed out into the background and seem very accurate and pleasantly rendered.  Female vocals are also good, but I don't have a large collection of those kinds of tracks, so I don't want to say anything more than I simply enjoyed how female voices were reproduced.  I've read some reviews that claim the mids are recessed.  I can honestly say that this is not the case with my ears.  The mids aren't forward, but they're not recessed, either.  They're "just right," which is what Shure is famous for in the end.

Upper frequencies are very nice.  When looking at the frequency graph, I was worried these would have treble roll off, especially when comparing them to my Beyerdynamic DT990s, which have some serious treble sizzle.  To my ears, there is less treble than the DT990s, but I wouldn't call it roll off.  It's just very smooth and pleasing.  It is very clear, which renders a good sense of space.  It's never harsh or intrusive.  Cymbals are present, but they never show any tizziness.  There's no "hotness" in the upper frequencies for me.  I really like how Shure rendered the treble.  Very non-fatiguing while maintaining clarity and presence.

Soundstage is very good for closed cans.  I've listened exclusively to open cans on my reference system for the last few years, so I'm very used to the open rendering of the music.  While the Shures will never be confused with open cans, they are very open in sound.  There's good air and imaging there.  They do form a very 3D image that circles your listening space.  They don't fall victim to the "three blob" soundstage that many headphones produce.  Imaging is believable with good space and placement.  It's among the best I've ever heard in closed cans. I'd say it's very accurate within the confines of a closed can system.

I bought these headphones mainly for rock, indie, classic rock, and alternative.  So far, they haven't disappointed.  I'm sure cans costing 2x (or more) as much as these are better, but at the current street price of $500US, these are excellent cans.  I have been enjoying them immensely.  It has taken some time for my brain to adjust to the extra bass and the closed-back design, but it's been an enjoyable transition.  These headphones are extremely fun and musical.  They are definitely worth an audition.

**Edits 2/28/14**

I was finally able to put my finger on the sound signature.  These headphones have a unique sound signature that is easy to hear, but I was having a hard time trying to describe it.  Well, it finally hit me like a ton of bricks after an extended listening session.

These headphones have the audio qualities you hear when listening to recordings made by ribbon microphones.  That's it.  There it is.  It's a very nice sound signature and even has a hint of vintage audio to it.  The frequency curve looks like one you'd expect from a ribbon microphone.  Also, these are some smooth headphones and have absolutely no grain.  None.  In fact, they make the HD600 sound like they have grain.

**Edits 3/19/14**

I've put several more hours over several listening sessions on these, so my opinion is even more locked in.  My overall opinion has not changed at all, as these are the best headphones I've ever owned.  I think they surpass the mighty HD600s.

Anyway, I started to really think about what makes these special.  I've come down to two major conclusions (no need to rehash all of the opinions about bass, mids, and treble, as those are pretty obvious at this point).

1) As I previously stated, they have a ribbon mic presence to them.  That's very pleasing.

2) They have a room quality sound to them.  In natural rooms with loudspeakers, bass tends to come forward and highs are a little subdued.  I had a chance to listed to a really nice speaker system this weekend (not mine, as mine isn't very good), and my opinion was confirmed.  These Shures are tuned in a similar manner than I hear in room settings.

Then, I read about the new NAD VISO HP50, which are tuned to have "room feel."  When I compared their freq resp, bingo.  Behold.

**End of edits**

Pros: comfort, detailed, durable

Cons: price, not super adjustable

Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with Shure or any other company.  My opinions are mine, and my own.

Pro: Offering exceptional fidelity and comfort with a brilliant construction and thoughtful extras the Shure 1540 is a headphone that is not easily bested.

Cons: With a rather steep price tag it can be a large pill to swallow for someone hesitant to take the leap.

Overall:  The new Shure closed flag ship is a major contender to the headphone market.  I believe it to be one of, if not the best closed back headphone on the market.  It brings superb comfort with an above average imaging and soundstage that makes it hard to put down.  It is simply a joy to listen too.

The Shure 1540 is the first headphone I have come across in my budding audiophile career that seems to check almost all the boxes.  I have had the absolute pleasure listening to them.  I have had friends listen to them (one who never seems to see the difference in my headphones).  She instantly remarked when I took them out of the box “those look like really nice headphones.” A moment later I played a song and had her listen.  Her comment was, “okay yeah these do sound really good.”  I feel this puts these in a nut shell.  The just sound and feel so right.  I will break down this review into several topics.  If you want a streamlined version I will have a numerical breakdown listed below (for those impatient readers!).

Sound:  The sound I can best describe as something like a Nike swoosh.  It has a bump in the bass (but controlled) and a slight spike in the upper treble to give it some sparkle.  It is, however, very close to neutral to my ears which is great as it allows me the EQ it to my personally needs relatively easily however my ideal sound is very close to its “normal” sound so I don’t really need to do much to it as far as EQ is concerned.  I should also mention that I have been using the Fiio E09k+E17 with these.  They do not require an AMP to be used, but they do scale up well.  I have found amping tightens the already great low end and widens the sound stage a bit, giving you a feel similar to an (semi) open back headphone.

The overall sound isolation is good (rated at 15 db) which is about average.  They leak little noise unless at dangerous volumes.  This means if someone is singing along to your music with these on your head, turn the music down!

Comfort: As you may already know after reading other reviews these headphones are extremely comfy.  The ultra-plush ear pads have a slow recovery memory foam which molds to your head exerting just the right amount of force to create a good seal, but not too much to cause pressure points.  This is vital for me as I wear glasses, and these are the first pair of headphones I have ever worn that don’t put pressure on them.  It is truly remarkable.  Furthermore these pads get even better, as they are covered in an Alcantara™ fabric.  It is essentially extra durable synthetic suede which is very soft on the skin and breaths better than most other pads.  I wish they made pillows out of these!

Style:  This is a less essential category but many people do care how their headphones look.  They are simple, yet stunning.  They have a very modern feel and the carbon fiber backing is a unique look.   I personally like how they have a more understated design, but not simply boring.  I think Shure did a good job in the department.  Even a friend of mine (present for unboxing) said "wow those are some nice headphones."

Durability:  These headphones are clearly built to last, as the premium price should indicate.  They are made of aluminum, carbon fiber, and high quality plastic housing.  There are hardly any moving parts, only part that moves is the adjustable headband, which is one of the smoothest mechanisms I have used (no clicking).  This lack of moving parts means fewer things to easily break, like hinges.  In addition the cable is replaceable and the pads.  If they either wear out or some tragedy causes them to break then Shure is kind enough to provide you with spares of each, included with the purchase.  If the headphones were not strong enough they come with a substantial carrying case which will protect these cans from most anything, although it is a bit bulky, it could double as a nuclear fallout shelter (do not test at home :P).  In short these are meant to last.

Value:  As I have stated this is a sizable purchase (currently 499 USD).  However some things to consider are: They come with all replaceable parts which separately are expensive as well; Pads: 39.99, Cable: 25.00, Case: 50.00.  That is over 100 USD in extras that Shure provides.  It is logical to assume that this influenced the final price tag.  Many people have grown used to buying Beats for 400, so in reality this is a phenomenal deal, as you get superior, well… everything in my opinion (yes I have listen to Beats, specifically the new studios). Sound is much better, comfort is better, build is better, and value is better.  Granted most people reading this already agree with me about beats... so...  Having said this they are still a large purchase and are not suited for everyone.  That is your decision to make as a consumer.  I can say that if you have the budget these are well worth your time or interest.

Sound: 9.5/10
Comfort: 10/10
Style: 9/10
Durability: 9.5/10
Value: 8/10
Overall: 9.2/10
Recommend: Yes

Summary: These headphones are hands down the best that I have heard and currently own.  The offer a superior imaging and sound stage for a closed back headphone, of which I have not experienced before.  The sound is rich and supple making these a pure joy to listen to, which is good cause their comfort allowing me to listen for a very long duration!  I hope this review helps, feel free to comment and ask questions I will do my best and reply/ answer!

I recently updated my review.  I have now owned these for a while and have grown to like them even more.  They can handle anything I can throw at them.  I think they are a very under appreciated headphone.

Pros: Sound Quality, Style, Comfort

Cons: Price, Cable

DSCF2916.jpg

After two years of listening to Shure’s SRH840 headphone nearly every workday, I decided it was finally time for an upgrade. Not so much because the SRH840 isn’t a good headphone (you can read my review here), but more because I wanted something different.

My workspace, where I use an ALO Audio Island DAC/amp to drive my music daily, calls for closed-back headphones. I had the Fostex TH600 in my collection, but its sonic signature never quite satisfied me. The TH600’s sub-bass is beyond fun, the sense of space is great, it’s quite comfortable, but the deeply recessed mids left a lot to be desired for my musical tastes and the resultant emphasis on the bass and treble regions could get overpowering after hours of listening. So it was out. Actually, it’s gone (sold).

So the search for a SRH840 and TH600 replacement began with a few points in mind: Something light, respectable looking, a shade more detailed, rich mids and maybe just a hint more sub-bass extension and definition if possible. I actually thoroughly enjoyed the sound of the SRH840 over the years, so I didn’t want to abandon it entirely. Logically, I looked to Shure’s offerings to see what the next step in the line might be, and that’s where the SRH1540 falls in.

Shure describes the SRH1540 as its “premium closed-back headphone,” featuring “an expansive soundstage with clear, extended highs and warm bass.” The description fit the bill, Tyll’s review on Inner Fidelity helped solidify my confidence in its performance and having the sound signature I was looking for, so I decided to pick up the SRH1540 without ever demoing it beforehand.

It was a risky decision. It’s not a headphone I see suggested frequently or talked about often on forums, and I’ve actually only seen it in person once before at AXPONA in Chicago. With a typical retail price of $499, it’s not exactly a headphone one should gamble on. Thankfully, my bet paid off (mostly).

The Sound
I’ll dare say it—if you could take hints of the Shure SRH840, Fostex TH600 and Sennheiser HD650 and meld them together, you might just come up with the SRH1540. It’s an interesting and enjoyable soundscape if you like headphones with an intimately warm tonality.

DSCF2949.jpg

Much like the SRH840 and HD650, the SR1540 maintains a clean, rich midrange that projects vocalists of all varieties well. These are the mids the TH600 severely lacks, and if it had them, I would have likely kept that headphone, but I digress. Mids are where I think Shure shines. I find the midrange smooth and full-bodied with enough texture to really get my ears engaged in the music. If you’re coming straight from the SRH840, you may find the SRH1540 to be a touch cooler as it has less of a hump towards the bass and in the upper ranges. Compared to the HD650, I personally always sensed some grain and edginess in its clarity, I think the SRH1540 just delivers better here, albeit with a slightly different tone.

Moving deeper into the bass region, the SRH1540 delivers weighty bass with ease. Sub-bass is an area the SRH840 lacked and left me wanting for more as it placed a greater emphasis on a mid-bass hump that bled into the mids. While it’s undeniable that there’s a bass hump on the SRH1540, it transitions smoothly from sub- to mid-bass and then into the midrange in a way that sounds more natural and doesn’t overemphasize its presence. I’d say the bass extension and impact of the TH600 is superior, but the SRH1540 is more pleasing and fuller sounding than the SRH840 and it handles the transitions much better than the TH600 where the mids simply fall out of the bottom resulting in bass bloat. Basically, it’s a solid middle ground between the two, and I can live with that.

One thing I can’t live with is peaky, edgy treble—especially in a headphone that I rely on to get me through the workday. The SRH840 didn’t have that; it’s dark and relaxed, and that’s part of why I liked it so much. But at the same time, the soundstage closes in when there isn’t enough sparkle. So here again, the SRH1540 strikes a nice balance between the darker SRH840 and the brighter TH600. The SRH1540 has pleasing, grain-free treble that isn’t fatiguing like an AKG or Beyerdynamic, but offers enough details so that you aren’t missing any zip. With slightly more presence and extension than the SRH840, the SRH1540 sounds more open and spacious, albeit, the TH600 easily outpaces both in presenting a 3D soundstage. Again, it’s a compromise, but one that won’t stop me from fully enjoying this headphone.

Overall, I really like the SRH1540. It takes what I liked about the sound of its SRH840 sibling and does it better in just about every way. Better bass. More balanced mids. Smooth, detailed highs. Greater sense of space and instrument separation. If you like the SRH840, you’ll likely love the SRH1540, except for its price, but we’ll get to that later.

The Fit
Fit and comfort were my biggest motivators for abandoning the SRH840 as my daily driver headphone. If you follow my blog or Instagram, you’ll know that I took great strides to modify the obscenely heavy SRH840 headband (possibly an over exaggeration) and find ear pads that provided better heat dissipation, comfort and overall performance (Brainwavz HM5 angled pads, please). While my tweaks certainly kept me happy for quite a while, I wasn’t contented enough.

I can confidently say that the SRH1540 takes the comfort level up several notches. The SRH1540 has a sleek modern design that maintains a similar overall shape as the SRH840 but trades in the heavy molded plastics and oversize headband for slimmed down aluminum and flashy carbon fiber bits. While you lose the ability to fold the headphones for transportation, you gain looks and weight savings (a claimed 286g versus my SRH840 that weighed in at 376g pre-mods and 324g post-mods). This puts the SRH1540 in the same weight class as the HD650 and TH600.

The headband in stock form is a step up from the SRH840. It features a similar shape, but is reduced in size and features a center cutout to keep the weight and contact points down. The padding is minimal, but so far it seems sufficient enough. In time I may add an additional pad or wool wrap as I did with my HiFiMan HE-500 and Audeze LCD-X, but I don’t see an immediate need for it. Also, the headband is quite flexible allowing it to be flexed a bit to relieve clamping force. I haven’t had an issue here, but others with larger heads may as all Shure headphones maintain a firm grasp on one’s noggin.

DSCF2935.jpg

Finally, we get down to the ear pads. The SRH1540 features a thick perforated Alcantara ear pad that is satisfyingly comfortable. It’s a substantial step up from the thinner pleather and velour ear pads that come with the SRH840 and SRH940. Noise isolation doesn’t seem as good as the SRH840, but I don’t have an accurate way of measuring that. Heat doesn’t seem to build up as much with this ear pad either. Pads are also easily replaceable.

Overall, the SRH1540 is a light, comfortable and stylish headphone that fits well and seals out noise fairly well.

The Gripes
As much as I like the SRH1540, I do have some issues with it. For starters, the price is excessive in my opinion. I don’t really have any qualms about the performance, looks or comfort, but at $499 new, I guess I expected it to feel more robust or something. At its full retail price, I am hard-pressed to recommend this headphone to everyone, but at $300-375 for used and open-box models, I find it to be a much better value.

Accessories wise, the SRH1540 comes with an extra set of pads, a ¼” adapter, a hard travel case and two detachable cables. Here’s the silly part; the cables are both identical 6-foot straight cables. Why? Come on Shure. Give us a short cable for mobile use and give us a 10-footer to use in our listening rooms, duh. The cables also feel cheap. In comparison to the 10-foot coiled cable on the SRH840, the SRH1540’s feels thinner, seems more microphonic and kinks easily. It's also dual-sided versus the SRH840’s single-sided design.

My final minor gripe is that the yokes don’t rotate horizontally like they do on the SRH840. This isn’t much of an issue if you plan to use the stock pads, but I really liked the performance of the Brainwavz HM5 angled ear pads on the SRH840. I tried them on the SRH1540, but it’s not possible to get a good seal with them because the ear cup cannot twist to align with your head.

That’s It, That’s All
To sum it up, the SRH1540 is a headphone that you can wear all day. It looks good. It feels good. And most importantly, it sounds good. This is a fun headphone to listen to. It offers great bass, warm mids, and detailed highs that are nicely balanced. If you get the SRH1540 at the right price, you really can’t go wrong.

Pros: comfy, lightweight, isolation, versatile sound, non-fatiguing sound, design

Cons: a small upgrade in sound quality, long cable that detach easily

I was relatively happy with the sound of my srh940. However, the band of my srh940 started to crack seriously, and with all the scotch  and glue to maintain the band, it was just an ugly mess. So the srh1540 with a superior design, was a natural choice to replace my srh940.

Physical description:

Here are some pics, to compare with to my (old damaged) srh940. The box height of sr1540 is significantly bigger.

Sound quality:

They sound fine with most musics. No "wow" factor, I didn't find them superior with a particular genre. However no "glaring flaw". The bass is a bit emphasized, but I  get used to it after some listening. The sound signature is relaxing, non-fatiguing, but I  don't get bored either. In comparison, the srh940 sound more "exciting" , with a more present treble. The shr940 sounds more "alive", and I thought it work well with metal , or industrial music.

Is the sound of the srh1540, that much different of the srh940 ?
Yes and no. I thought that beside their different frequency balance, there was some similarity.
Actually, I  tried to put the srh940 pads on the srh1540. And I  was much more familiar to that sound.  It sounded just like my modded srh940. Because I've put some rope to increase the thickness of the srh940 pads (see my previous review). The thicker are the pads, the more the treble is tamed, and the more the bass is present. So I  think, if the srh1540 default pads were a bit less thick, the sound would have been more pleasant.

Would I  replace the srh1540 pads, with the srh940 pads ?
Nope, because with the srh1540 pads, I  get significantly better comfort & isolation. And after all,  the srh1540 sound, with stock pads, is good enough. Even if I  miss a bit some  "excitement".

So is the difference in sound between srh1540 and srh940, just a matter of distance between ears and drivers ? (or different pads) .

Not completely. I  thought the srh1540 got a cleaner sound. So, there's an improvement somehow, even if it's not striking.

Comfort:

Much, much better, than the srh940. Clearly among the best.  The most comfy headphones  I know, are still the hd595 though. The srh1540 are incredibly lightweight, they just weight nothing !
The alcantara for the pads, makes a difference. I thought the velour pads were comfy, but not that much when you compare with alcantara.

The isolation of the srh1540 is better than for my srh940. Almost as good as HD 25-1 II , but this time with true comfort.

Cables : not too happy with the way you connect them. You can detach them accidentally. I put the cable around  behind my neck to prevent this. In the manual they warn that "the cable connection is not designed for everyday use". In other words, it's a bad idea to attach/ detach too frequently the cable. Otherwise, I find the cable too long for my needs (listening music most of the time from my computer). And I miss a coiled version of the cable.

Conclusion:

If it wasn't just to replace my srh940, I'd say that the srh1540 are a good buy. I hope they are more durable. So far, I'm satisfied. I don't feel the need to spend more time (and money) at collecting other headphones. If I didn't need isolation, I would use  my hd800 instead, but otherwise the srh1540 are enough enjoyable for me.

Pros: Superlative headphones-detail, soundstage, precision and a new take on every song you have heard

Cons: Only the price......

I am an audiophile and these cans really deliver! Spacious and open with a neutral but pacy kick. These phones are the business but deserve a headphone amp to really bounce! Nevertheless, you will notice the difference even through a direct iphone etc connection. Power station tracks will really show you the directness and incisiveness of these studio quality headphones. They are natural studio phones which you would expect from Shure-the musicians reference choice. If you appreciate detailed, realistic concert sound you will love these!! Top quality!!! They are not beats heavy on the bass but deliver an exciting and expansive soundstage...delighted!!!

Pros: Build quality, comfort, Do everything well

Cons: Not a lot for the price

Comfort and build quality these would not look out of place at £600. Out of all the headphones I have owned / used these have best overall sound which works with every type of music and overall sounds very good, sort of like all the best parts of the HD650, D2000 and HE400 in one headphone but not quite as good as any of them at the parts the do best, but not far off, so a very good all rounder unless you are looking for very bright headphones or don't like bass. Only things I would improve would be slightly deeper bass extension (although it is very good already)better definition in the bass and a slightly more forward midrange .They do not have many reviews or feedback on head-fi, I think these are underrated and more people should buy them.

3 Months later : Usually I am bored of headphone or the faults are annoying me by now, I like the 1540 more than when I got them, NAD D1050 + SRH 1540 is overall best sound quality.. no ear fatigue, very comfortable... Sound good with everything!

Pros: Comfortable, great built (similar to SRH1840), excellent pads, pleasant sound quality, imaging/separation and accessories.

Cons: Bass is elevated and intrudes on lower mids, isolation a bit weak for a closed headphone, leaks sound, price.

Introduction:

Shure oh, Shure. Have to reiterate, I'm a Shure Fan. Like their microphones, loved their headphones. Was a fan of the SRH440/940 combo when I had them, liked (but did not own) their SRH840 offering and definitely needed to try their open-back "flagship" SRH1840s and did for a while last year. So of course when I read that a new closed-back flagship was about to be released, I got pumped and waited for availability. As soon as they were "In-Stock", I placed the order. It just sounded like a promising entry, you know, SRH1840 style and design, alcantara earpads, and the only thing I was questioning was: are these going to sound as excellent as their previous cans???

Specs:

Sensitivity: 99 dB/mW
lmpedance: 46 Ω
Driver: 40mm neodymium
Frequency Range: 5 Hz – 25 kHz
Weight: 10.1 oz (286 g)
Cable Length: 6 ft (1.8 m)
Cable Style: Dual-exit, detachable oxygen-free copper
Plug: Gold-plated 1/8" (3.5 mm) stereo mini jack

Package Contents

As usual, Shure doesn't skimp on accessories. It's sad seeing a barebones package like those provided with the old Denon series, most Audio Technica headphones, etc. and paying "premium" prices where all you get is the headphone and... well, nothing else.

1. HPACC3 (Zippered, hard storage case)
  2. HPAEC1540 (Extra set of Alcantara Ear Pads)
  3. HPAQA1 (Threaded 1/4" Adapter)
  4. HPASCA3 (Extra Dual-exit, detachable cable)

Design, Comfort and Build:

If you are familiar with the SRH1840s, then you shouldn't have problems loving the build of the 1540s. They are just excellent. I mean, "aircraft-grade" aluminum alloy, steel, carbon fiber construction, they might seem like buzz words but once you hold them in your hands you cannot deny that they feel like a premium headset. Best of all, they are EXTREMELY light! I don't doubt that these could withstand abuse and the test of time. Really. Design, again similar to their previous offerings. These look good without going extremely utilitarian nor too flashy. But I'm pretty sure that people will still talk about how they look once on your head. Shure still uses the same system when extending the headband and it looks like instead of extending down, they extend sideways and you look like a dork with them on! LOL sorry, but that's what I think anyway but maybe it's just me since I really have more of a long-ish head than round-ish... Even with this caveat though, comfort is top-notch. They made a great decision by going with the Alcantara pads. Trust me, going from something like the Alpha Dogs to the Shure's is like night and day. I rate the Alpha's very high in comfort factor but the 1540s take the cake because of their light weight!

As always, the important bits... The sound. As soon as I felt the great comfort, I turned "On" my X3, pressed "Play", closed my eyes and I knew I was in for something... different. Being used to the 440/940 sound and very familiar with the 1840/SennHD600 sound, what was coming out of the SRH1540s caught me by surprise. Why? Well previous Shure's were lean on the low-end. Bass presence has been "there" forever in all of them but not really powerful nor particularly impactful. The 1540s are ALMOST basshead levels to these ears. Bass has definitely been increased so the good thing is that they don't sound as "boring" as most of their previous entries. The bad news, I feel that bass overpowers and smear a bit into the lower mids. This "heft" especially in the mid-bass region gave the overall tuning a bit of warmth. So initial impressions were:

1) "Oh, these are surprinsingly bassy!"

2) "a bit of instrusion but still lovely mids as always"
3) "Salsa sounds excellent, love the separation, let's play this track on the Alpha Dogs... yep very nice!"
4) "Highs a bit tamed..."

Went through my usual suspects after that of course and definitely the bass was the main player in ALL of them. Mids were in Shure fashion, EXCELLENT. Guitars crunch, vocals come through effortlessly my ska/punk records make me want to get up and dance, I thoroughly enjoyed every song I was playing but noticed that a bit of "air" up top was missing. Not sure if highs have been "muted" to maintain a more even frecuency throughout or if it's that whole "we are bassy/fun and don't want to do like Ultrasone and blow your ears with emphasis on highs as well" mode these cans have going on. I think Jude mentioned something about a "safe" sound signature and this is basically what these are. Elevated bass, a bit thick/warm but lovely mids and "safe" highs. List of songs played for the review:

Thrice - Under a Killing Moon
J-King y Maximan - Ella me Pide Something
Calvin Harris - Feel so Close
Three Six Mafia - Late Night Tip
Orquesta Macabeo - Me Repito

I listen to different genres because I get bored easily and what I have liked about the Shure's is that they play well with most genres every time. And this one is no exception. Love the clarity in the mids, the detail and separation especially with my favorite Salsa and Merengue tracks.

But I do have to say that, I miss a bit of the sound signature of the "old" SRH940s... Heck, even the SRH840s. In fact, I mentioned in board discussions that these new 1540s are REFINED SRH840s. They share A LOT of similarities but the 1540s have better imaging and sound stage, more mid-bass, more evenness overall and of course are more comfortable.

How do they compare?

Well, the latest headphones I've been using a lot are MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs and Beyerdynamic T5p's and I believe I mentioned everything in the Alpha Dogs review...

Quote:

Compared directly to the Alpha Dogs, 1540s offer more bass, a bit boomy, mids not as forward but clear and good sounding, non-offensive highs, excellent imaging (similar to the 1840s and ADs), wider sounding. These Shure actually leak a bit of sound though and they are more comfortable (lighter as well) than the ADs.

And this was actually disappointing, the 1540s leak what I believe is A LOT of sound when volume is increased to "enjoyable" levels (for me). At least I saw my co-worker head-bopping to one of the songs I had playing... lol. I asked her if she actually knew what song it was and yeah, she knew... So that's a fail for me there.

The Beyerdynamic T5p with Blue Dragon cables highlight is definitely their mids, very clear, forward and excellent. Due to their more "treble-forward" approach, they sound colder than the Shure's. Soundstage and imaging are very good as well but their highs are a bit too much sometimes (maybe too revealing to my tastes or maybe they are too peaky?). Bass is actually quite anemic in comparison with both the ADs and 1540s but what it shows it's good quality. Also, straight from the X3, I didn't found them that anemic and through the Burson Soloist SL, I actually enjoyed them more than the Shure's These are very comfortable as well, good isolation and no leakage.

Comparison summary,

Highs: Alpha Dogs --> SRH1540 --> Beyer T5p
Sound Isolation/Leakage: Alpha Dogs --> Beyer T5p --> SRH1540
Fun Factor: SRH1540 --> Alpha Dogs --> Beyer T5p
Price: Alpha Dogs == SRH1540 --> Beyer T5p

Finally, just wanted to mention that I tested these guys with my usual setup:

Astel Kern AK100 MK2 --> Schiit Magni
FiiO X3 --> Schiit Magni
PC --> NuForce Icon HDP --> Lehman BCL
Straight from the FiiO X3 and AK100 MK2

(These are fairly easy to drive, did not have a problem with my gear.)

Summary/Conclusion:

So, Shure 1540s, excellent mids, very good imaging, just "Ok" isolation and leakage control, but a little bit too much bass. They are indeed enjoyable headphones and one of the most comfortable headphones I have ever put on BUT sadly, at this point in time, they are not for me. I'm still a fan though. Shure knows how to create products and cater to specific audiences. I just hope that on their next headphone they do something with their presentation (i.e. tame the lows a bit, more clarity up top) and change the design a bit so that one doesn't look weird wearing their headphones! ;-)

For $500 retail (you can probably get them at $400 if you skulk enough), they seem to be a good buy due to their accessories, the build, the comfort, etc. but sound-wise I'm not sold, especially when the range of headphones on the $200-$400 bracket is so competitive and newcomers seem to also pack their boxes with accessories as well. Still prefer the Alpha Dogs over these as well as other lower priced options such as the Yamaha MT-220 (not because of their build nor comfort, just based on sound preference).

So all in all, if you are a fan of Shure, enjoyed their SRH840, love comfortable headphones and ear pads, don't care about leakage and prefer a bassier signature with even mids and highs, these should be a good buy for the RIGHT price. As always, just be sure of what you really want and make your selection based on your tastes and gear.

Thanks.

Extra Pics:

I love these connectors!!

Pads, extremely comfortable but probably the reason why isolation is not super great and sounds leaks.

Even though there's not a lot of padding, there's not a lot of pressure up top, so they feel good.

Top view

Shure SRH1540 Headphones

The SRH1540 Premium Closed-Back Headphones feature an expansive soundstage for clear, extended highs and warm bass. An included storage case, replacement set of Alcan Tara ear pads, and an additional dual-exit cable ensure years of uninterrupted listening enjoyment.

BindingElectronics
BrandShure
ColorBlack
EAN0042406319799
Feature40 mm neodymium drivers deliver superior acoustic performance for an expansive soundstage with clear, extended highs and warm bass Closed-back, circumaural design rests comfortably over the ears and reduces background noise Lightweight construction featuring aircraft-grade aluminum alloy yoke and carbon fiber cap for enhanced durability Steel driver frame with vented center pole piece improves linearity and eliminates internal resonance for consistent performance at all listening levels Ergonomic dual-frame, padded headband is lightweight and fully adjustable for hours of listening comfort
LabelShure Incorporated
ManufacturerShure Incorporated
ModelSRH1540
PublisherShure Incorporated
StudioShure Incorporated
TitleShure SRH1540 Premium Professional Headphones (Black)
UPC042406319799