Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › Shure SE535LTD RED

Shure SE535LTD RED

Pros: Astonishing mids, awesome trebles, great construction quality.

Cons: Maybe not so many bass frequencies.

First of all, before the SE535 I had a pair of Monster Turbine Copper Pro, so I was habituated with many bass frequencies and forced to put them repetitively inside of the ear because of their weight. I’m absolutely not saying that the Turbines wasn’t a good pair of earphones, in fact they were my personal favorite pair in spite of their defects. After 2 years of happiness with my Monsters, I decided to go to the next level, with a more comfortable and more detailed pair of earphones, but without spending more than 500 dollars.. I finally opted for the Shure SE535. The first time that I wore them, it took me about 30 minutes or more just to understand how to put them in my ears, but at the end of that complicated process they were so magnificently comfortable and well inserted on my ears.. that I struggled to understand that they were in my ears.

However let’s go directly on the sound review: I use them with an iPod Classic 7th Generation and rigorously all WAVE format songs, with a Fostex HP-P1 amplifier with DAC and an AudioQuest silver plated high definition cable; simply I never heard Mids and Trebles so perfectly in a pair of earphones like in these, I can hear details, voices, instruments and effects that I’ve never heard before with other earphones. The voices of the singers are so greatly evidenced, pure and naturals that seems to have them in front of your eyes, amazing details with an astonishing speed of response, really.. I’ve never heard something like these beasts. I simply can’t describe the sensations that I feel when I use them, just with words, you have to try them before judge.

The only defect that I could find in these, is in the bass frequencies.. yes, there’s so many basses don’t worry, but not so much as I expected.

Final Judgments:

TREBLES: 8/9

MIDS: 8/9

BASSES: 7

CONSTRUCTION QUALITY: 8/9

Pros: Excellent Quality Well Defined Sound Through All 3 Ranges

Cons: Can Be Difficult To Find The Best Tip To Extract That Amazing Sound

Hi,
I've been patiently waiting for my 535Ltd's to get a good few hours run in (this includes the stock cable & an upgraded 3rd party cable purchased from eBay, OFC Silver plated copper with Oyaide Plug). I'll just be giving you my thoughts on the 535 reds & try to refrain from too much into towards cable choice etc...

Unboxing ;
The Shure Red's Packaging was nothing special & thus would probably lead you to think there's nothing special inside... Not like say Unboxing something like a set of Monster Miles Davis Trumpet Buds where the packaging is exquisite to say the least... But that's no bad thing as sometimes fancy looking packaging gets your hopes up too much wink.gif

Contents ;
The 535Ltd's Come with pretty much what you'd expect in the box like your usual sets of small/ medium & large Foam + Silicone Eartips with a yellow Foam tip that seems to fit medium & large sized ears... But in my own personal case after trying them all + a few 3rd party Tips I bought along with the cable upgrade I actually found that the x2 best fitting Eartips for me were made by Westone & I for now use their Foam & Silicone tips in a large size (Pretty weird to me as I'm %99 of the time a medium tip).
Also they come with your airplane adapter + a Volume control adapter + also a jackplug for converting your 3.5' - Full size headphone socket & TBH with you all 3 of these accessories look & feel very cheap as I guess their the same 1's used with even the cheapest of the Shure SE range so because these are their Limited Editions I guess I was expecting better quality accessories but it's certainly not a deal breaker for me.

Included too is I believe a slightly thicker/ better quality cable rather than the basic SE range stock cable which I thought was a step in the right direction after all Special Edition stuff usually is Special because it has better quality versus it's stock base models smily_headphones1.gif

Fit ;
These Over Ear style IEM'S fit pretty much perfectly & once you hit upon your chosen Eartips of choice their very easy to put in & take out again as long as you bend the Kevlar to shape round your ears correctly... I HAVE HEARD OF PEOPLE LEAVING NEGATIVE REVIEWS OF THE 535'S SIMPLY BECAUSE THEIR TO DUMB TO FIGURE OUT HOW OVER EAR IEM'S FIT & THATS JUST SAD wink.gif
As mentioned once you eventually get your best fitting tip = You'll probably be like me & barely notice their even in & I can quite easily fall asleep with them in after a long listening session smily_headphones1.gif

Build Quality ;
Shure have learned from previous mistakes you can tell a lot & I mean a lot of though has gone into making these 535Ltd's IMHO Pretty indestructible barring dropping them in front of a steamroller I think these should last you many many years to come as the build quality on the ear pieces is excellent & The cable looks & Feels really really tough so I don't forsee many returns regards the 535's.

Sound Quality ;
Now my own 535Ltd's have only ever been fed on a diet of my Colorfly C4 Pro & Lossless Flacs with the odd 320kbp MP3 thrown in to compare it against.
If you plan on feeding your 535Ltd's on a diet of uncompressed Flacs or Wavs then you'll most definitely not be disappointed you shelled out the big cash for these just Excellent IEM'S as their by far & away the best IEM'S I've ever had the privilege to own/ hear their just Flawless on all 3 ranges & Make me Smile from ear to ear smily_headphones1.gif
Now I did notice when trying Mp3's that they can pick up on any bad rip & expose it's weakness with such ease that if your planning on maybe buying these for your eh Ipod then your just wasting your money as you should buy much more cheaper headphones that don't expose MP3's & Compressed files' weaknesses as easily as easily as the 535Ltd's do.

So to some up then ;
These Shure SE 535Ltd's are targeted at users who prefer Quality & by god do they provide Quality in abundance but please save your cash if your plans were to feed them anything other than uncompressed music from a decent source.
1 last thing is that a 3rd party cable can improve sound, but IMHO only slightly as the stock thick grey cable is great in its own rights, so it's just a matter of preference if you upgrade the cable smily_headphones1.gif

Hope this review will be of help to potential 535Ltd Buyers out there & accept my apologies for not mentioning all the colours of the rainbow to describe sound LOL.

Thx J.

Pros: an ethereal existence on gossamer wings

Cons: only two ears to use; how can I get to 7.1?

When we were over in Asia last year I had a couple chances to visit the Hong Kong tech meccas.  I was very pleased to buy one sealed set of these, thinking I might pass the favor on to a fellow head-fiér.  As it was, I put an ad up but the closest I got to a reasonable bid was still below my out-of-pocket.  And YES, I did pay the customs duty when I brought them in!

Since no one was that eager to pay what I was asking, I decided to open the box in mid-December, awarding myself an early Xmas present.  I'm so glad I did!  These Shures have a very different sound from my bronze and clear Shure sets.  (Incidentally, all my IEMs are now on Comply tips, the deep-foam ones if available for the IEM.  Some IEMs don't have long Complys available though. It all has to do with the size of the shnozzle; length and diameter. SE535s take the same as tips as Westone 4/4Rs, FWIW. )

The sound ... well, along the way, my kit expanded to a Cowon Z2, 32GB internal and an extra 64GB microSD.  It has been hard to start to write this review because the upgrade of the Cowon over my last-generation Zunes is sheer amazing... and the Cowon is also Android, meaning I can play (smartphone-like) anything, while also listening to my music.

Let's put the sound this way:  You will abandon your previous rigs, perhaps in their entirety, when you buy these two pieces of kit.

Ranking, I'd put the red SE535s in the top two of my collection.  I still prefer the discontinued Sony MDR EX1000 for its precise soundstage imaging.  But I haven't seemed to have found time to put those IEMs on while this is such a fantastic pairing!

Pros: Deep Soundstage, Crisp Highs and Mids, Durable, Range of Tips

Cons: Price, Can't keep up with fast songs

Ω

Pros: Good Clarity, Deep Soundstage, Balanced Sound, Beautiful!

Cons: May not be the best for universal flagship IEM, price, short cable.

After struggling to find an ideal universal flagship IEM, I finally chose Shure SE535SE.

Reason:

Cheaper deal I got over here, compared to W4R which will be around USD$100 more.

A strange affinity towards Shure brand.

Beautifully painted body and beautiful packaging.

Honestly, I'm not really particular in auditioning the IEM before purchase. Reason is because it takes time to appreciate or get used to the new sound signature. And I wanted a flagship IEM so that I can stop (temporarily) searching for a better IEM while learning what BA drivers can do. Probably later I'll go for W4R or EX1000, where the latter would be more intriguing.

I'm a dynamic guy. So BA is kinda fresh to me. What this IEM lacks compared to dynamic ones is the bass punch. It's decent, but not as airy and powerful compared to dynamics. But the thing that impressed me right out of the box is the sense of depth in soundstage. Boy I was really enjoying the chanting and whistling behind the back of the songs in Hell Freezes Over.

Frankly speaking, this thing is not 50% much better than any IEM 50% cheaper than it. Value wise, it's better to go for cheaper alternatives, like SE425, or what I've tried myself: GR07, EPH-100, and those ultra value buy dynamic IEMs. However, there'll be time when I felt discontented with the lack of something in the sound by those IEM, and wanting more. Thus here I am, listening to the SE535SE.

This IEM is highly dependent on the source you feed it. The better the source, the more it will be able to perform. In short, Source>Headphones.

Edit (11/23/12): After a few month using it, I noticed that:

1. Bass: Bass is deep, but not having much impact. While remaining airy, the bass don't punch the ears. Even on pop songs which normally have powerful bass, 535LTD isn't really portraying any much punches.

2. Details: Arguably one of the better IEM with good details However, due to the nature of the FR (rolled off treble), much micro details isn't really in-yo-face. Well, I guess 535LTD is more towards fluidity of the presentation rather than a microscope analyzing all the details (or defects) of the song. It's very enjoyable, yet not for those who demands excellent micros.

3. This thing isn't really isolating 100% of the sound. It blocks out most of the little annoyance, but not moving trains or roaring thunders. I'm not sure if it's due to my use of the Olives, but 535 to me is brest used with the Olives.

Thanks for reading. And enjoy your music :b

Pros: excellent sound quality, excellent build quality, great isolation and comfort, awesome color, good tips and accessories

Cons: cable is a bit short, very pricey

These have excellent mids, vocals sound very sweet, typical Shure.

Good treble with some sparkle, although less sparkle/piercing than the normal SE535, but more refined.

Bass is great, low and punchy, not overly emphasized, just the way it is meant to be heard.

Soundstage is okay, not as big as the Westone 4.

Sound isloation is excellent, for me it's better than Shure SE315 and SE215.

Very comfortable and snug with the black foam tips.

Cable is robust, but I wish it is longer by like 10cm, right now it's 116cm.

Although they say "enhanced high frequency response", the red 535 aren't that much better than the normal 535, just a little less emphasis on mids and a bit more details in the treble, same bass reponse.

The red SE535 are much more passionate and engaging than the Westone 4/4R, which are probably their biggest competitor, I prefer the Shures over the Westones; just my opinion. I highly recommend these earphones.

UPDATE:

I've had them for over a month and I'm very pleased with what I'm hearing. They don't seem to change that much with burn in.

I've also realized the black foam gives a better sound than the gray silicone tips, the foam has more bass, and has a fuller, richer sound, while the gray silicone has a cold, metallic sound with harsh treble, and less bass. It's a very minor difference by the way.

The nozzles of the red 535s seem quite delicate, I could heard squeaky sounds from them when I was changing the ear tips.

Pros: Great clarity & details, no coloration (neutral), good soundstage

Cons: lame bass response, the high is too harsh when combined w/ my amp

When I listened to the sound for the 1st time, I was hit by it. I was punched by the not-punchy-bass. I was hoping it would offer much better bass response than SE315.. equals to Klipsch Image X10i. It gives better bass than SE315 but still far from Image X10i. The bass is still too weak, or just say not punchy. I am not a bass lover. I just want the sounds  to be there whenever they are there, incl the punch. It's just the bass, fortunately. As for other details & freqs, I can listen to them more clearly than my other IEMs. I like the neutrality of the presentation & the soundstage. (Maybe the price that made me overexpecting, it is more expensive than X10i!) Another hit for me is when my eardrums were kicked by the high when I combine it w/ headphone amp from SoundMagic (A10). The high becomes very much harsh & felt intruding. The rest of the sound will better though w/ the combination, incl the bass. So, now I think this IEM is a little picky to headphone amps

Shure SE535LTD RED
By:

The SE535 Special Edition utilizes Triple High Definition MicroDrivers - a dedicated tweeter and dual woofers for incredibly spacious sound and rich bass. A newly tuned acoustic network delivers enhanced high frequency performance, while a distinctive red and gray color scheme offers an exclusive look.