Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › Sennheiser - Sennheiser CX 200 Street II

Sennheiser - Sennheiser CX 200 Street II

Rated #276 in Universal Fit

Sponsored

Get the latest news and updates at the Sennheiser sponsor page.

Pros: Portable due to Y-Split cable and L-plug.

Cons: A bit muddy, small soundstage

These are decent IEMs. One way to describe them is 'exceedingly average'. There's absolutely nothing special about them. Nothing that's so downright bad, but nothing that's really great either.

They don't sound fantastic in any way. The soundstage is a bit too small for me, and the bass is rather pushy.

Maybe one more thing that's worth mentioning is that they're pretty durable. You can throw these around, give them as much abuse as you want, and nothing's really going to happen.

Pros: Thumping Bass - Great Value - Hardwearing (to say the least)

Cons: Muddy Mids - Not Brilliant Clarity - Some May Say Boring?

Seeing as this is my first review for Head-Fi; I thought I may as well start with my first IEM, and with it, the start of my addiction. I bought these over a year ago and never got around to talking about them, they were my first step into the world of In-Ear earphones and one I've loved. Anyway, enough of my mementos down to the review:

Packaging:

They come in plastic boxing, pretty standard for cheap earphones. Also with 3 sets of ear tips (Small,Medium + Large). No case, but to be expected. It looks neat and tidy, tips may get lost when opening the packaging though. They arn't brilliant quality, my Sony Hyrbrid's seal and feel a lot better but they get the job done.

Fit and Feel:

The're small enough to be forgotten about, which is a good thing. The tips are rounded enough not to come loose either. An L-Plug is included at the end which is brilliant along with a Y-Split, the cable is a soft matte feel which is very nice, semi-tangle free as well; it means they feel very solid and it's been proved over a years of abuse. They're still kicking. Isolation is excellent, better than my Brainwavz and Sony's. Not a lot can be heard at all. Be careful crossing the road. I personally like less isolation (I'm strange.) I have'nt tried changing the tips. I've found no need.

IMG_20120407_090610_Julia.jpg

The Sound:

The sound is slightly flat. And not they're strongest point. The bass is deep and thundery and extends may up the range, its slightly one dimensional and feels a little boring. Boomy, not punchy. The Mids are almost pushed back, but not really, just a bit flat. The highs are there, nothing special, called for when needed. They don't extend very high. They're not very clear to be honest. They're muddy in places and don't evoke excitement. Soundstage is small, inside your head for sure, intimate but has decent width.

camera_Julia.jpg

Competitors:

At this price range, there's a fair few. Soundmagic's PL11's are still around, offering superb bass for the money. Along with JVC HA-FX67 Air Cushions and the excellently balanced Visang R01.

Conclusion:

When your spending £20, many earphones sound the same. Bassy lacking some clarity. The Sennheiser's are a good choice, with thundery bass and decent width there's nothing wrong with them. The stylish design and longevity are where they really shine. At pocket money prices, you really can't go wrong.

Sennheiser - Sennheiser CX 200 Street II