Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › On-Ear › Sennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Black

Sennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Black

Rated #9 in On-Ear

Sponsored

Get the latest news and updates at the Sennheiser sponsor page.

Pros: Fun bass, compact, surprising soundstage, jack is phone case-friendly, non-fatiguing, good for all genres, discreet

Cons: a little plebeian looking, upper mids and treble are a little veiled, some rattling with super low frequencies, no noise isolation

There's not a whole lot I can say about these. I think they are an excellent compact headphone to have in a bag on the go, they are affordable, sound good with everything, and are a definite step up from the crummy earphones that come with most cell phones and iPods.

Pros: Design, SQ, durability, case

Cons: None so far

The PX 100s are certainly a supra-aural can to be reckoned with. If they were about $20 cheaper, they'd beat all of the Koss offerings for best value in portable headphones.

The bass: thick and meaty without being muddy. Works as well with Jay-Z as it does for the LSO. Even though it is solid, it never feels congested. There's enough space to make it feel natural.

Mids: Just slightly behind the bass. Still nice and rich with good clarity. Guitars and male vocals sound quite natural without any sense of artificiality.

Treble: Very clear without sibilance. Very forgiving yet still quite detailed. Better than any other sub $100 portable can I've heard.

Soundstage: Best I've heard from a sub $100 portable. Whether coming from my DX50, iPod 5.5 or C3, the sense of space presented here is quite refreshing.

Imaging/Separation: Right on par with the soundstage. Certainly above average, although never to the point of seeming "fake" or "enhanced."

Overall, the PX100s are getting more head-time than any of my Grados save the 225s. They are worth every penny, especially if you can pick one up second-hand. The folding design makes them easy to carry in pocket and their light enough that they can be worn for hours at a time. Isolation is quite good, although not to the point where your life would be in danger when you cross the street. If there's a better portable solution for this price, I haven't found it. Certainly recommended!

Pros: Sounds fantastic, Very comfortable, Sturdy build quality, Attractive aesthetic design, Super portable, Serviceable

Cons: Doesn't isolate, A hair less comfortable than before

This will be a very brief comparison review with the PX100, my review of which can be found here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-px-100-collapsible-headphones/reviews/8181

Aesthetics

This is the most striking difference between the PX100 and PX100ii, with the latter being the far better off. The PX100 has aged noticeably, and the updated version really does look far nicer. Sennheiser have updated the aesthetics of a classic without resorting to gaudy, flashy design choices. The PX100ii is sleek, modern, dark and stylish. I think it's a really great looking headphone. I especially like the little Sennheiser logo on the arms, as well as the new cup design. The original PX100 looks a bit cheap in comparison.

Build Quality

Both headphones are very well built for their respective price points, but the more expensive PX100ii improves upon the build at nearly every turn. The PX100ii is a little bit larger and bulkier in it's body, so it feels much nicer in the hands and is better re-enforced. It feels more expensive and a bit fancier, a more premium headphone in it's construction. Both headphones have fantastic durability considering they're such small headphones, but the new PX100ii can old be better in this regard with it's beefed up build. Add to this durability a nice quality finish, and you feel as though you get your money's worth.

Comfort & Ergonomics

The PX100 was previously the only on ear headphone that I considered truly comfortable, and it's now joined by the PX100ii. Both of these on ears are very comfortable. If I had to give the edge to one, it would be the original PX100 for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it's a bit smaller and lighter which gives it's feathery feel (that both models possess) the edge. The other factor is that the articulation of the swivel feature is a little more flexible on the PX100. It seems to align slightly better with the angle of my ear than the PX100ii. However, I should make it clear that these differences are marginal. I still find the PX100ii very comfortable, exceptionally so for an on ear headphone. Ergonomically the two are basically identical, but I'd give a small edge to the PX100ii since it's a single sided cable, which is a little less cumbersome and annoying with portable application.

Sound Quality

I heard some very mixed reports about this headphone which almost turned me off buying them entirely. Some very vocal people complained about the new PX100ii sounding vastly inferior to the original.

Hogwash.

To my ears, the PX100ii is a tuned up, more refined improvement at every turn of the original. The bass at first sounds like it's actually been toned down slightly, which I think it may have been a hair (and I do mean a hair because the PX100ii is certainly still warm in the bass) but with closer listening I think what makes it sound arguably less in quantity is that it's tighter and more controlled, so it doesn't bloom or bleed the way the PX100 does. The treble response is also improved, in that it seems higher in resolution as well as a bit boosted over the PX100 in quantity. Don't fear though, this is totally un-problematic regarding fatigue. The PX100 is what I'd call dark, and the PX100ii is what I'd call polite. There's more there (and in higher quality) but it's not going to set off anyone's tinnitus. This superior treble response makes the PX100ii more detailed, as well.

While I think the mids themselves sound fairly identical, the clearer treble and more controlled bass does result in there being a more coherent sound through the midrange. Basically the mids are less disturbed than they were before, allowing you to appreciate their quality. The only negative thing I have to say about the PX100ii in the sound department, and I'm nitpicking here, is that it's less efficient than before. I have to turn the volume up one or two notches on my phone to reach the same listening level on the PX100ii as I did with the PX100. However, that's not to say these are hard to drive. You can still reach loud listening levels with these on portable players, just not quite as loud as before.

Conclusion

The PX100ii are an awesome update to one of my favourite headphones. I think they're better in nearly every way, with a few little hairs to split that don't detract from the experience in any significant way. A fantastic portable headphone that leave me way happier and more satisfied as an owner than significantly more expensive (yet flawed) portables that I've owned.

Pros: tight bass,clear mids,comfortable,fun headphones..

Cons: recessed highs. and nothing

for me they r the best portable headphones i have ever bought in my life. well i am only 19 now. i hv done a hd515 review too.there u can see where  rate these headphones.these r the fun headphones.. with everything almost right.. well i consider this as portable audiophile headphones.(imho ). well u can go to this link for the detailed review by katun. he did a very good review.well u will find me there too.

Pros: Sound quality, price, single wire, comfortable, portability.

Cons: Design

These are one of the best open design headphones in this price range. They are very clear and don't leak as much as I thought they would. They are pretty inexpensive and I love the single sided wire. They are very comfortable so you can have them on for hours. The best thing about this model is you can fold them and stuff them in your bag or pockets. These are one of my best purchases, but of course there are always better ones so I upgraded!

I highly recommend these for listening on the go. On buses, you may want to have the volume controlled or the person next to you will hear it. These leak a little less than other open design headphones.

Pros: ultralight and comfortable, single sided cord

Cons: no hard case, more expensve than its predecessor

I just picked up a pair of PX100-ii today. I've been missing the PX100, and I've been curious how the sequel improves on the first one. First impressions (comparison to original from memory)...

Sound: the bass is a tiny bit louder and kicks harder, mids a little more laid back but a bit cleaner, highs the same. Running a frequency sweep, I think the highs on the ii are maybe a bit less wobbly. On fast bass heavy songs, the bass tends to bleed a bit into the mids. Other than that though, it just adds some emphasis to the midbass. Soundstage feels maybe a tad wider, but I might be imagining it.

Build: a bit thicker, it just feels nicer in your hand. The one sided cable is also a nice change. Folds up just as tiny as before. I miss the hard case though.

Comfort: If the PX100 rated a 10 on Joker's scale, this one is a 9.5 because it's just a smidge heavier. The clamp feels a bit stronger, but as these are new I'm sure that will loosen up. Otherwise, it just melts away and you forget it's there.

Verdict: Sennheiser had a winning formula and didn't mess with it. The build is much improved, and the sound is tuned slightly towards the bass which is what the major demographic listens to anyways (though to be honest the sound signature is similar enough that it might actually be identical and it's just the placebo effect talking), while still retaining that warm midrange texture of the original. The price is up a bit, which puts it into competition with a lot of good cans, but I would not hesitate to recommend these to anyone. If you already have the PX100 though, no need to upgrade.

Sennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Black

A musical all-rounder, the PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones let you enjoy your personal favorites at any time on your portable player. Their dynamic, open ear cup design allows for a natural sound reproduction with a strong bass. These robust, steel-reinforced headphones can also be folded easily, thanks to their unique fold and flip design. Once folded, you can simply place them into their convenient soft carrying case. Optimized for MP3, iPod, iPhone and portable media players Frequency response 15 - 27000 Hz Sound pressure level (SPL) 114 dB Impedance 32 Ohms THD, total harmonic distortion < 0.1 % (1 kHz, 100 dB SPL) Connector 3.5 mm straight plug Cable length 1.2 m (3.93 ft.) single-sided cable In the box - PX 100-II headphones Carrying case Manufacturer's 2-year warranty

BindingElectronics